Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:23:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times on these boards, and a legion of know it alls will give me grief, but here it is:

I'm considering purchasing a Glock, but can't decide between the G 24 and the G 21. Besides the obvious caliber and slide length variations, anybody got any input? It's likely I'll end up with both down the road. I've shot plenty of Glock's in 9mm.

I like the capacity options of the .40, but would also like the power of the .45.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated, as I plan for this to be my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT
ballistics aside, the G21's grip will be noticibly larger in diameter

the .40sw glock's have the same diameter as the 9mms

now to caliber: .40sw has just as much if not more usually energy than .45acps (but you can get comparative .45acp ammo around); also, i dont like the .40sw as much as its got a snappier recoil than the .45acp imo
then the .40sw also has higher presure chambering--i prefer either a 10mm or the .45acp

mag capacity is only 2 difference....i can deal w/ the G21's grip size, so i would get the G21

but its up to you, get the one that fits you

may i ask why you are opting for the long slide G24? why not just get the G23/22?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:45 AM EDT
I was thinking of the long slide as I might use the gun for three-gun competitions. I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with the accuracy of the 21, but the long slide can't hurt.

Are the trigger pull differences that noticable between the two? I believe the 24 comes with a 3.5 lb trigger, opposed to the 5.5 on the 21. Not that I need a soft trigger, but I wondered if this is noticable on the Glocks in general.

Thanks for the info Alphaghost.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:32 AM EDT
I would get a .45 Glock over a .40 Glock.

The 3.5 trigger is standard on what Glock considers target or competion guns.
The 5.0 trigger is standard on "working" guns.

The cost for parts to go from a 5.5 to 3.5 trigger, or vice-versa, should ble like $4-8. Any competent Glock Armorer should be able to do the swap in about 2 minutes. The parts are all "drop in".

If you shoot a 3.5 Glock, then a 5.5 Glock, you will probably feel a slight difference. If you pick up a Glock anf fire it, by itself, you probably couldn't "tell" which trigger weight was in there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:35:51 AM EDT
Sounds like a sound bit of advice to me. Thanks Oly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:19:29 AM EDT
They're both good rounds when backed up by good bullets...
But the issue should be what fits you and what can you controll and hit with...
I would not fell un-armed with either...
I am biased towards the 21 because I have had one for 16 years...But I am looking at a new
G38...Like G19 in size and fit but a big hole at the muzzle.
.45GAP.....Big hole...same ballistics of a 45acp...AND....this is the best part for me and a lot of people out there......a smaller grip that you don't have to learn to love....
SO now you got three choices....Big frame glock big bullet or a small frame medium bullet or small frame and big bullet.....
And lastley...As in your GO/to gun you mean a defense gun...Don't mess with the trigger...Leave it stock,,it can be a liabilty if you go to a lighter trigger.
Top Top