Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 11:31:20 PM EDT
I've had my G27 for a few years now.  It's a great firearm, no problems and I'm very accurate with it.  I bought it as a CCW and with the idea of IDPA competition as well.  I have the chance to shoot IPSC Production locally.  I really want to compete, but am wondering if I'll be able to.  Compete that is...  I'd planned on getting a G22 this spring/summer, just because I've enjoyed shooting the .40 so much.  I liked the idea of a full sized pistol in the same caliber as my main CCW.  Maybe I should wait till I get the G22...

I know that GSSF and IDPA have a class just for the G27 sized weapons so that is a level playing field.  I guess I'm afraid the IPSC experience could be a bad one with the G27.

Has anyone here had any experience with this sized gun in IPSC?  Do I just have pre-match jitters or is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your time.

[ETA Changed title for clarity.]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The difference in between the G27 and G22 will not traumatize you - but there is a difference. Go to the IDPA website and get familiar with the rules and procedures and just go to a match. Experience is probably worth more than a slightly higher score.

Maybe the experience will even make you want a G35 instead of the G22.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If you carry the 27 it may still not be a bad idea to take it to a competition or two just to see how you and the weapon stack up.  It will make you at least practice some basic skills against the clock.  Practice with your carry piece is always beneficial IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, the flu is ravaging my house so this will be the second Sunday in a row I've missed a chance to shoot.  It does however, give me 2 weeks to the next shoot.  I know for a fact the magazine change will be ugly time wise with the G27.  I read the rules and no magazine extensions are allowed.  I wonder if I can use a G22 magazine with a sleeve????

Back to my dry fire and magazine change practice, 20 minutes twice a day...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I would check on the mag extensions again. If you get the Glock +2 it might be IDPA legal.
Gun easily fits in box. I believe some were sold like this to LEO, back during the ban.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shoot several Glocks in USPSA/IPSC. In Limited and Production class. The 27 is a "Fun Hand Toy" for this competition type. You really have to get your reloads down right or you will bite you palm. Only thing I did to my stock 27 was paint an orange dot on the front sight. I think this is how the fiber optic was born.
The full size will give you a little more to hold on too. But who cares shoot what you feel good with. And always try to improve your skills no matter what you shoot.

And as for "I'm afraid the IPSC experience could be a bad one with the G27." Misses are the real Bad Experience!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I've read so far, no magazine extensions(+2) and the magazine is size limited for production as well.  I'm used to shooting with the stock 9 round magazine and even with a G22 mag the problem is still that the grip is way short for really fast(pinch-less) mag changes.  [ETA] By the time the shoot comes around this blood blister should be calcified so when I seat the mag and end up with a Glock hanging from my hand there won't be too many tears.  DANG, that gets your attention RIGHT NOW!!   Concentrate...[/ETA]

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm going to be competing against myself to shoot clean and reload smoothly and I'm looking forward to it!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot my G33 (with .40 barrel...essentially a G27) in my weekly pistol league, and am usually in the top 3. I have Crimson Trace grips, which I think are more help with a short barrel than longer ones.

The question is, are you a gamer or are you training for a possible armed confrontation? If you're a gamer, go with something bigger. If you are honing your skills, go with what you carry.

MHO
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#8]
i feel really comfortable shootng my 27 with the +2 pinky ext.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top