Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:26:25 PM EDT
Lets be honest. I know nothing of this topic so I am looking for some help.

I have a basic G17 and would like to get into competition shooting. I was told that I should go into "production" competition.

What mods if any can I make for this?

Was thinking about:
-New more accurate barrel
-3.5# disconnector and extended slide release

What are other good mods? Also, where is the best place to find all of these parts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what ikor said.  Its taken me years to find the right gun, caliber, load, accesories that help me shoot to the best of my ability.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a belt holster, some mags and mag pouches,  and show up.

Have some fun.

www.uspsa.org
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
First, go to www .uspsa.org and use the club finder to locate a club near you.  Contact the match director and go watch/shoot a match or two.

Second (or first), go to www.brianenos.com/forums and spend a couple of days reading over there.

Don't do anything to your Glock until you've shot it enough to know that it is holding you back.  This will likely be a looong time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]
i shoot IPSC limited.

DO NOT THROW A BUNCH OF MONEY AT YOUR PISTOL.

you'll wind up compromising the guns reliablity. if i were you i'd go with trigger job and thats it. pin point accuracy isn't required. its not bullseye competion. buy 5k round off ammo and practice practice practice and then pracitce some more.

i see too many people trying to "tune" their gun and they wind up with a gun that doesn't work too well. follow the kiss principle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
USPSA Production is the way to go. At first just shoot what you have, get the feel for the sport. Shoot and then shoot some more. As for new parts, I would suggest replacing the stock sights, do some polish work, and a 3.5 won't hurt.

As for "were to shop" Brownell's is a one stop shop.

But NOTHING will help you more then bullets down range [:D]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I would keep it simple as stated by others. Keep it stock, use your carry rig and take it as a chance to learn and have fun. Don't fall in to the "game" Everyone has their opinions on the gaming aspect. Few people can distinguish the difference, placing time in the mix makes you do things that you should not do when it's for real. Trainers realize this when designing a training course(should anyhow).
Time is good for certain drills such as draw speed, hit on target(s)

Besides, you won't carry that Glock with a light trigger, mag funnel, etc.
my .02
Mark
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to dissent here.  Instead of jumping into uspsa stuff, go to gssfonline.com.  The Glock Sport Shooting Foundation holds some great matches.  Instead of trying to compete against guys with 3k dollar open class guns, you can simply go to a GSSF match with your stock pistol and one magazine and win the match.  All the empasis is placed on the shooter's skill.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have to dissent here.  Instead of jumping into uspsa stuff, go to gssfonline.com.  The Glock Sport Shooting Foundation holds some great matches.  Instead of trying to compete against guys with 3k dollar open class guns, you can simply go to a GSSF match with your stock pistol and one magazine and win the match.  All the empasis is placed on the shooter's skill.  

In USPSA you're not competing with the "3kdollar open class guns",  open class is a seperate Division from production, or limited.

USPSA DIVISIONS

OPEN   (raceguns, optics, compensators)
LIMITED (iron sights, no comps, hi-cap mags)
LIMITED10 (iron sights, no comps, 10 rnd.mags)
PRODUCTION (mostly 9mm,glocks, sigs, cz-75's etc.10rnd mags.)
REVOLVER
SINGLESTACK*( 1911's)
* - Single Stack is a new provisional division.

You can show up at a USPSA, IDPA, or GSSF with a stock Glock, a belt hoslter, mag pouches, extra mags, ammo, ear/eye protection.  AND HAVE SOME FUN.

That's it.

Come out and have some fun
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
check out www.juliegoloski.com/

Julie has won some impressive USPSA and IDPA  matches with her Glocks.

Check out the pics, and videos.

Also Dave Sevigny, another Glock shooter, www.sevignyperformance.com/main.htm has some good pics and videos.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top