Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 9:27:49 AM EDT
I have a like-new Glock 19 that I picked up for my wife.  It is pretty tough to rack the slide on it...  she can do fine with all of my other handguns, but this Glock is tough.  I've even noticed how tough it is.  I even bought a new stock recoil spring assembly and an upgraded steel one from Glockmeister - both are difficult but the upgraded one is even more so.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lessen this a bit other than shooting it a bunch?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If the slide racks ok without the loaded mag, try it with only 12-13rds in the mag. The mag springs are REAL stiff when new and can make loading the first rd difficult. The other way is to lock the slide back then insert the mag and then drop the slide.    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the slide racks ok without the loaded mag, try it with only 12-13rds in the mag. The mag springs are REAL stiff when new and can make loading the first rd difficult. The other way is to lock the slide back then insert the mag and then drop the slide.    

It doesn't matter if there's a mag in it or not.  Even pulling the slide back WITHOUT a mag (or with an empty mag)  is difficult.  It just appears to be very stiff - not like there's any problem with the gun or anything.  The stiffness along with the tennifer coating makes the slide difficult to rack.  

My other Glocks were much more used than this one, but I'll be damned.  What would happen if I were to clip off a coil from the recoil spring assembly?  I know recoil would be worse, but would that interject any additional problems?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It doesn't matter if there's a mag in it or not. ...

I did have one(G23) a couple weeks ago that was tough to rack the slide. I found a small piece of over injected polymer just under one of the rails that was causing the problem. Don't know if you have the same problem or not. Have you tried running the slide on the rails without the barrel and guide rod installed?
I have to agree, the new finish Glock uses over the Tenifer is slick. What is the serial prefix?  

Just a side note the compact uses a #18 spring where the full size uses a #17 spring.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It doesn't matter if there's a mag in it or not. ...

I did have one(G23) a couple weeks ago that was tough to rack the slide. I found a small piece of over injected polymer just under one of the rails that was causing the problem. Don't know if you have the same problem or not. Have you tried running the slide on the rails without the barrel and guide rod installed?
I have to agree, the new finish Glock uses over the Tenifer is slick. What is the serial prefix?  

Just a side note the compact uses a #18 spring where the full size uses a #17 spring.  

I've taken it apart (beyond field stripping it) and couldn't find anything wrong with it.  If I remove the barrel and guide rod, it literally glides across the rails.  

The serial prefix is...  FUNXXX  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shoot the shit out of it.

Huge +1!

Agreed.
Put a hundred or so rounds down range with it and I'll bet that spring eases up on the tension. If you're giving it to her as a gift, bring it home and clean it... Use some Q-tips to get into small areas.

Don't screw with the recoil spring... That's asking for trouble.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top