Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:49:23 AM EDT
I have a new G27 that had it's first trip to the range yesterday and I encountered a strange feeding problem that I have never seen in any of my other Glocks. This is what happened in a nutshell:

The G27 chambered and fired just fine but every now and then it would have a FTF in which the slide moving back forward would not strip a round out of the magazine but would rather push on the round and somehow shove it DOWN and forward with the flat face of the .40 cal bullet hanging up on the front edge of the magazine. Simply slingshotting the slide caused the pressure to come off the cartridge and it tp pop right back up and in. I'm shooting Winchester white box .40 cal out of factory LEO G27 mags with the factory installed 2 round extenders (stamped Glock on the bottom). The only non-OEM parts on this pistol are some Aro-Tek night sights.

Needless to say this is VERY disconcerting in something I was hoping to be my new CCW weapon. It is not the fault of any one magazine as I tried it with some of my G22 mags that run just fine in my G22 and the same FTF occured again with those mags.

It's the strangest thing and I have never seen it before in a Glock... or any other weapon for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard of anything like this before either.  If it wasn't for the you saying the same thing occured with the G22 mags, i would recommend you put some high power mag springs in, due to the +2's.  Some people have reported +2 mag problems in the G27 when they use the stock spring.  Would you happen to have +2's on the G22 mags also?

The first step I can recommend is to try another lot or even brand of ammo.  Also, always have someone else shoot your gun to verify the failures before paying for shipping to the factory.  Sorry to hear you're having problems.  I have nine Glocks and have never had any problems that weren't caused by me or aftermarket parts.

The other thing I would recommend is to take your magazines apart and clean up any flash on the follower or the tube.  I have heard of people having failure to feed problems that wound up being caused by excess amounts of flash on the internals of the magazine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
H53expert sort of said it all.  I would also recomend switching ammo first, and having someone else fire your weapon.  I know it sounds simplistic but try giving your mags a firm POP on the floor plate to make sure they're seated firmly in the mag well.  (ETA) sometimes full mags can be more difficult to seat.  You can try loading the mags half full to see if that is the cause.

When all else fails have a smith take a look at it.  Your problem is unique.  I've had zero problems out of my 27.  Good luck and give us an update when you get the problem ironed out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was acutally out shooting with a friend when the FTF's happened... and they happened to both of us. I'm pretty sure neither of us was "limp wristing" as we are both avid shooters. We put about 200 rounds through the G27 and had about four stoppages each. At first it only happened with my full size G22 magazines and I thought it might have had something to do with using full size mags in the mini Glock so I stopped using them. Then it started happening in the G27's mags.

Someone on another board told me it might be that my recoil spring is too strong and is returning the slide too quickly, causing the flat-faced bullet to hang up on the magazine. I'm running a stock recoil spring that came with it so unless it was overtensioned at the factory I don't see how that would help.

I did notice on the bottom of the slide, on the standout ramp that rides over the magazine there seemed to be an excessive amount of brass residue when I cleaned it yesterday... as if the cycling of the action was rubbing against the rounds too hard. I've never noticed this condition with my G17 or my G22.

It's too bad it's having this issue as I was getting really nice, tight groups out of it... better groups than I get with my fullsize G22. I'll try a different ammo next week and see if that sets it straight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Damn foh-tey's . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Was there any pattern to the failure such as it happening when the mag was full or empty?  I had a similar problem on an HK but it would only happen on the last round in the mag.  Turned out crud in my mag well was  causing it to sit at a funny angle.

So, take a look up inside your mag well too
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#6]
replace your mag springs with wolf mag springs for their G23/27 mags. Sounds like a problem with the shorter spring not having enough force to keep the cartridge in line with the feed ramp.  Take on mag and replace the floor plate with the factory and try that. If it functions fine would also indicate the spring is ether too weak or short to provide the proper tension. Also could be an ammo problem if using reloads and the over all length is not properly set, usally being to long as opposed to being to short. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]
almost forgot, it is highly unlikely it is the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
i would try and use std glock mags and see if that doesnt remedy your problems.

i have the pearce +1 on my glock 27 mags and they have functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to clean out the magazines and replace the springs with wolf or glock brand springs. LEO magazines are used and abused. Sellers of those mags rarely clean them before reselling. If you simply clean them they may be just fine, but if your going to tear the mags apart you might as well replace the springs. Here's a link for the springsGlockmeister
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've taken the two mags that came with the gun apart... they where (as far as I could tell) brand new glock made LEO mags with factory +2 floorplates. I have some old regular floorplates and springplates from some other mags that I think will work so I'll try installing them.

As far as I can see these mags are brand spanking new, never been used. One thing that strikes me as strange however is that both magazine springs have a sort of "twist" to them. With the baseplate removed and the spring sticking out of the bottom of the magazine the springs have almost a 45 degree turn to them.

I'm still not sold that it's the mag springs causing the misfeeds because why would my G22 mags, which feed perfectly fine in my G22, hang up in this G27? Those G22 mags have factory floorplates with factory springs as well and are also quite new.

I asked a friend online who has worked with Glocks for a while as to what might cause this type of FTF and he has never seen nor heard of this kind of misfeed before in a Glock. Seems I've found a new glitch in the system with this one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a very similar thing happen to me with my 27 the other day.  After putting around 1000 rounds though it (in about 3 weeks) I had a FTF.  

Last week, while I was using a live fire simulator, I experienced a FTF.  I was being shot at at the time, while in a dark room, so I did not have the opportunity to examine the failure.  I am not even sure which mag I was using.  All I had to do was pull slightly back on the slide and the round chambered.  I hope it will not happen again.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you gone shooting since pulling the mags apart? The only thing that can cause FTF's other than weak or dirty mags is limp wristing. If the feed ramp had significant damage to it, it would also FTF. Have you ever experienced a squib are used federal ammo or reloads? Violent explosions could cause disfiguration of the barrels feed ramp, but usually result in the frame cracking and lots of other painful things. Do you know how to detail strip the gun? If not here's a link Detail Stripping Scroll down to the bottom. Completley clean and inspect the gun and all parts of the slide for abnormal wear and abuse. Such as burrs and gouges on or in the slide. Glocks are CNC machined so tolerances are usually very tight. I would honestly be very surprised if the slide or barrel were machined wrong.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The G27 is brand new from the factory with a build date in November of 2005. It still had the gold grease all over it when I opened it. As far as I know other than the test firing at the factory I'm the first person to shoot this pistol in it's service life. I have given it several very thorough goings over and as far as I can see there is nothing wrong with it, no marks, burrs, scratches, blemishes, cracks, gouges, scrapes or anything out of the ordinary. When the pistol was fired, for the first time the day it was malfunctioning, it was impossible to have any powder fouling or excessive wear in the weapon yet. It was so new it even had that factory fresh Glock plastic smell to it.

I have changed out the factory +2 bases for normal bases and will test it again this weekend. I'm hoping that that will fix it... but for the life of me I don't know why Glock would supply a pistol with magazines with factory +2 extenders on them if they did not have strong enough springs in them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Was able to go to the range today.  Had another FTF after about 50 rounds.  My problem seems to be the same as yours.  Be sure to post if you find a solution.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
seriously replace those mag springs and for peice of mind you could also replace the recoil spring. if you are still using the +2 extenders you need to switch to a G23 mag spring. I am not the only one who has suggested this. Personally I would recomend Wolfs extra power mag springs especially if you keep it loaded all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top