Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:39:18 PM EDT
I am considering going over to .45 caliber as my CCW, currently using 9MM ( G26). I have G37 and thought the 39 would make a good pairing to it. I am however condiering the G30 because of the readily available .45 ACP ammo vs. GAP. Has any one shot the 30 and 39 so I can get a comparison?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only shot the G30. (I own it)
Great CCW piece & calibur
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the 30.  IMHO the 45 GAP round was developed to solve a problem that didn't exist.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am considering going over to .45 caliber as my CCW, currently using 9MM ( G26). I have G37 and thought the 39 would make a good pairing to it. I am however condiering the G30 because of the readily available .45 ACP ammo vs. GAP. Has any one shot the 30 and 39 so I can get a comparison?

you answered your own question. I'd go with the G30

good luck
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like the feel of the G26 grip, you will feel right at home with the G39.  Have you held the G30 and shot it yet?  It feels like you are holding a brick compared to the G26/ G39.  That was the answer to the question which Glock designed the GAP for.  If your hands are not that big, the GAP guns allow you to shoot the 45 caliber round in a smaller gripped gun.  That's it.  If you don't have smaller hands, the GAP doesn't pertain to you.

GAP ammo is not that hard to come by anymore.  Especially if you take advantage of the on-line ammo places.  You should be able to find GAP ammo for a little over $12 a box shipped.   Some people are even finding it locally for that price with no problem.

I haven't shot the G39 yet.  But I do own and routinely shoot the G37 and the G38.  They are great shooters and I am beginning to reload for them now.   The G30 used to be my favorite of my 9 Glocks until I got the GAP's.  I don't think it's been out of the safe, except for cleaning, since then.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
30   When I was looking at G21s a guy showed me one but I wasnt lookn for compact size so it really didnt matter but it was a nice gun though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I like both calibers.  The model 30 has the advantage of holding ten rounds.  In all honesty, if your main consideration is concealed carry, go with a model 36.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I own and shoot both. I believe first of all that every arsenal should have a 45 acp in it. If you dont already have one I would consider the G30 to be a must have as it is one of the most accurate, softest shooting, and reliable, 45 acps out there. As far as concealability, it's not a pocket pistol, and in that regard cannot be compared to the G39.

If you are committed to the GAP caliber, for better or for worse, and dont feel you need the acp cartridge, the G39 would make an excellent compliment to your G37. The G39 packs well, is accurate and ultra reliable. It's a great little gun and I cannot say enough good about it.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Any reason why you arent considering the model 36??? It is a  more consealable pistol than either pistol you listed, including the G26 and is the best consealed carry pistol that Glock currently makes in my opinion. I highly suggest you take a look at the G36.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any reason why you arent considering the model 36??? It is a  more consealable pistol than either pistol you listed, including the G26 and is the best consealed carry pistol that Glock currently makes in my opinion. I highly suggest you take a look at the G36.

Good point.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Although I wouldn't mind getting one for my collection, I wouldn't recommend the G36 as a carry weapon to anyone.  It is the most problematic/finnicky gun that Glock has put out.  The G36 is extremely sensitive to limp-wristing, it will only feed certain ammo consistently, and if you call Glock they might be willing to confirm that the G36 is the one that gets returned the most for repairs due to function failures.  That and the G36 is the only one that does not share magazines with it's bigger brothers.  If you are carrying a G39 for self defense and you carry spare magazines, you can carry G37 mags as your back-ups since you already have a G37 anyway.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

the Glock 36 is the only pistol that made me stop carrying a Sig

Same size as my P239. Thinner. Essentially the same # of rounds. But has a .452" hole in the pipe.

wganz

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to go with the majority, glock 30 would be my choice, though I carry a 21 for duty, and the 30 is my backup...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I wouldn't mind getting one for my collection, I wouldn't recommend the G36 as a carry weapon to anyone.  It is the most problematic/finnicky gun that Glock has put out.  The G36 is extremely sensitive to limp-wristing, it will only feed certain ammo consistently, and if you call Glock they might be willing to confirm that the G36 is the one that gets returned the most for repairs due to function failures.  That and the G36 is the only one that does not share magazines with it's bigger brothers.  If you are carrying a G39 for self defense and you carry spare magazines, you can carry G37 mags as your back-ups since you already have a G37 anyway.

My 36 had some issues when it was new, but after putting right around 500rds through it, the issues went away. It has been 100% reliable since then.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Well it looks like I will be taking advantage of the "Post Xmas everyone is out of cash blues" the gun dealrs go thru and see if I can cut a good deal on a G30. I will rent a 36 and 30 to shoot side by side though. Thanks for all of you input with this one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Glock 36 and love it, no issues.  I like the thin frame, hides well on my waistline.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well it looks like I will be taking advantage of the "Post Xmas everyone is out of cash blues" the gun dealrs go thru and see if I can cut a good deal on a G30. I will rent a 36 and 30 to shoot side by side though. Thanks for all of you input with this one.

www.summitgunbroker.com/982281.html

Good people. Good weapon. Good luck.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
G30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top