Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 2:36:57 PM EDT
I'm looking to purchase a ccw in .40 S&W. Can anyone give guidance on differences between the 23 and 27. They look to be very similar. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
JJ
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Glock 23 but it's not for CCW.  If I were to by a Glock 27, I'd have to get the Pierce mag extentions.  I just do not like a grip that leaves my pinky finger homless.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got a Glock 23 but it's not for CCW.  If I were to by a Glock 27, I'd have to get the Pierce mag extentions.  I just do not like a grip that leaves my pinky finger homless.

Is that because you lose almost a inch of height with the 27 vs 23?  A dangling pinky would bug the crap out of me - good info. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that because you lose almost a inch of height with the 27 vs 23?  A dangling pinky would bug the crap out of me - good info. Thanks

I have a G27 and I had to add the extensions. With them added, they are almost the same size.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i got a 27 and dont need the extensions. shoot just find with the dangling pinky. the 27 is better if you want more carry options. with the 27, ankle carry becomes an option not really possible with the 23. if you plan for IWB only, then the 23 would probably be better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Good God . . . . . . .  . . . .

If it has to be a foh-tey . . . . well . . . . .  I guess I would have to go with a 23.

My opinion however
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If you plan on carrying in a pocket or an ankle rig, the G27 would be the better choice, otherwise The G23 can be concealed anywhere else just as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
they are two different sizes!

get both!

i use the pearce +1 mag ext. on my 27 but shown in the pic are just the mag ext. also use the a&g slipover for my spare mag which is a g23 13rd mag for my 27

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend shooting both if possible before buying.  The 40S&W round is very snappy in the Glocks and causes me to lose accuracy after about 75 rounds or so.  I think it is a result of me losing a bit of strength due to CTS, as it seemed I used to be able to put three or four boxes through my G27 when I was in my early twenties with no problem.  But now I don't like shooting the 40's very much.  After so many rounds, my shooting hand starts shaking from side to side and I can't keep the sights on target.  It kind of looks like the quivering from Parkinson's or Multiple sclerosis.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot both, then decide.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I rented a G23 and liked it.  However, I was looking for concealment so I ended up with the G27.  With the mag extender it's as tall as the G23, if that's what you like get the G23.  The 1/2 inch saved in barrel length with the G27 isn't as important as the 1/2 inch in height that aids concealability.

The pinky thing did bug me initially, but after reading Ayoob's technique and dry fire practicing a couple hundred times I got over it.  I recently moved up to 180's in my G27 and the change in recoil was noticable.  The 165 and 155 were snappy, the 180's really push!  I'm going to stick with the 180's in the G27 as I plan on adding a G22 this spring and will run 180's in that as well.

The G27 is comfortable IWB, in a paddle holster or pocket holster in a jacket pocket.  Accuracy is more than acceptable!  I confess, I drank the Kool-aid...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have and carry both the 23 and the 27.  I shoot both equally well, but I am not sensitive to recoil, and the 27 is definitely snappier with all the ammo I have shot through it.  The 27 doesn't conceal any better for me either.  I usually carry the 23, and have found that belt/holster combo make a much bigger difference in concealability than the size.  

I will second the recommendation that you shoot both, since there is no clear winner here and what works for one person might not work for another.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both the G23 and G27 and love them. But i use my G23 for home defense and my G27 i carry. I bought some Scherer mag extensions to add some space for that pinky finger and replaced them on both mags. They say once you pop in the button on  the bottom it will slide right off when you push the flat side down on the edge of a table but that didnt work for me. Use a pair of Chanelocks to do it. And no it wont scar your mags either. I did both in about 5 minutes versus the hour or so of fighting it by pressing it down on a table. But my answer is the G27.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have both the G23 and G27 and love them. But i use my G23 for home defense and my G27 i carry. I bought some Scherer mag extensions to add some space for that pinky finger and replaced them on both mags. They say once you pop in the button on  the bottom it will slide right off when you push the flat side down on the edge of a table but that didnt work for me. Use a pair of Chanelocks to do it. And no it wont scar your mags either. I did both in about 5 minutes versus the hour or so of fighting it by pressing it down on a table. But my answer is the G27.

There is no need for anything other than the Glock armorer's tool or a simple punch to disassemble your Glock mags.  Take the tool or punch and push it in at an angle until you hear a loud crack.  It sounds like you have broken something but all you did was pop the plate off the spring and at an angle.  Once you have done that use the punch as a pry in the hole and your thumb to push on the  bottom cover.  It will slide right off.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no need for anything other than the Glock armorer's tool or a simple punch to disassemble your Glock mags.  Take the tool or punch and push it in at an angle until you hear a loud crack.  It sounds like you have broken something but all you did was pop the plate off the spring and at an angle.  Once you have done that use the punch as a pry in the hole and your thumb to push on the  bottom cover.  It will slide right off.  

Well on mine it didnt go that easy for some reason. The first magazine took some hassle but the second didnt. I did exactly what i had seen. It just didnt want to slide over the pips on the mag and was nearly impossible to even budge. But both are on and everything works right so thats all that matters. But thanxs for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top