Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:04:54 PM EDT
Hi all. Thanks for looking.

Im in the market for a new pistol. Im in a toss-up between a 9mm Glock, and a Beretta 92 Elite (if I can find one). I posted in the Beretta forum, and the first 2 or 3 replies told me to get a Glock. Quite a surprise, in a Beretta forum.

My brother had a G19, and I really enjoyed shooting it. It seemed to shoot pretty accurately as well. If I buy a Glock, it will either be a 19 or a 17. I've handled and shot both government and commander sized 1911s. Would comparing the G19 and G17 as such be a fair comparison? Its the same gun, just a little longer with a slightly longer frame, correct?

My next question, and the one Im most curious about, pertains to the "C" compensated models.
Does the porting on top of the barrel result in a considerable loss of velocity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:10:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:25:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TravisM1:
Would comparing the G19 and G17 as such be a fair comparison? Its the same gun, just a little longer with a slightly longer frame, correct?

Correct;

Does the porting on top of the barrel result in a considerable loss of velocity?

From what I've read it equates to about 40fps for every inch of barrel length, so the loss would be negligible(port is about 1" from the end of the barrel). Someone here might have some chrono numbers?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kblagg:
What are you planning on using it for?

i.e. competition, Concealed carry, etc

Informal competition, concealed carry. I can conceal my full-size 1911, so I figure a G17 would be no problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:53:25 PM EDT
1.)I Say get the G19 and buy a Metal slide for it like I did, makes it look cooler,

2.) Not that much
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:19:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockFanatic:
1.)I Say get the G19 and buy a Metal slide for it like I did, makes it look cooler,

2.) Not that much

Whats wrong with the slide thats on it? Whats it made of to start with? Arent there thousands upon thousands of Glocks with their original slides on them happily blasting out ammo?
I'll be the first to admit I know very little about the Glocks, but unless a Metal Slide gives a definite performance/durability advantage, "Looks cooler" just isnt a good enough reason.
Id guess most people who buy a Glock to shoot dont buy them because they look "cool".
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
buy a metal slide? glocks have "metal" slides.

you mean a silver one? thats just a differnt finish. the finish on the glock, espically the new gen3's, is one of the best out there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:13:32 PM EDT

2.) Not that much

is this for your airsoft g19
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By netwt12:

2.) Not that much

is this for your airsoft g19

Thats kinda what my first impression was too.
So, from what Ive read so far-
The "C" models dont hurt velocity or efficiency much
The G19/G17 arent a whole lot different in size
Glocks do, in fact, have a metal slide to start with

Now, does the porting reduce recoil enough to justify the difference in cost and slight velocity loss? I'm not particularly recoil-sensitive, but If I could have a full-size 9mm with reduced recoil, I wouldnt complain.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:04:15 PM EDT

Now, does the porting reduce recoil....

The ports do nothing for recoil, but they help control muzzle flip. Get the "C" model for fun and pick up a standard barrel for everything else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:11:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HotRod9mm:

Now, does the porting reduce recoil....

The ports do nothing for recoil, but they help control muzzle flip. Get the "C" model for fun and pick up a standard barrel for everything else.

What he said. The ports just help with the flip. And that helps in getting a faster follow up shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:28:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:55:07 PM EDT
I think I'll just get a 17 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:03:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:12:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 7:18:55 AM EDT by TravisM1]

Do it the arfcom way and get both, the 17 and 19.

You know, I cant say it hadn't crossed my mind. From what I understand, the G26 (subcompact 9mm) can use mags from the 17 and 19, the G19 can use mags from the 17, and they can all use those 33rnd mags for the 18. Now, that would be the way to go.

I'm more likely to buy one of each size than I am to buy a 17 and a 17"c".
I was curious about the "C" models recoil reduction because I have a bunch of younger kids in my family (my boy and my sister, among a few cousins) that enjoy shooting, and I figure if the 17"C" made a big difference in recoil/flip it would be easier for everyone to shoot.

I thought the "Metal slide" guy was referring to a different kind of metal. Ive handled a few Glocks before, and knew they had a metal slide. I didnt know if there was some super-duper upgrade slide kit or what.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:15:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:22:27 AM EDT

The g17 & g18 mags will fit in the g26 and g19 but will obviously stick out. the g19 mags will fit the g26, but not in the 17. the g26 mags will only fit the g26. We have factory new glock mags for sale in the EE.

Yeah, thats pretty much how I understood it, just steted better than my post.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:41:40 PM EDT
I have a 21C and have trained with it on a number of occasions including at night. The downside of the C model is that it should not be fired from the retention position, a potential consideration for a carry gun (the gases and other debris would end up in your face). As far as shooting at night, the flash is not that much worse in terms of disturbing your vision than any other positol. The flash at night was described as blinding on the forums, but I did not find that to be the case actually using it in training calsses at night. I bought an aftermarket barrel for my 21 and have not put the orginal C model barrel in it for quite some time. I don't notice any difference in muzzle flip between the origianl barrel and the KKM barrel I have in it now.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:06:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jeepsrock:
I have a 21C and have trained with it on a number of occasions including at night. The downside of the C model is that it should not be fired from the retention position, a potential consideration for a carry gun (the gases and other debris would end up in your face). As far as shooting at night, the flash is not that much worse in terms of disturbing your vision than any other positol. The flash at night was described as blinding on the forums, but I did not find that to be the case actually using it in training calsses at night. I bought an aftermarket barrel for my 21 and have not put the orginal C model barrel in it for quite some time. I don't notice any difference in muzzle flip between the origianl barrel and the KKM barrel I have in it now.

Good point. I hadnt even thought of non-extended firing or flash for that matter.

Thanks for the input.
Top Top