Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I so badly want this cartridge to come to Canada. I'd love to convert a 9mm PCC into it.
Less finicky to reload than teh 5.7, with easily available brass.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a caliber conversion build on a Glock... Made your own bullets and formed brass.

OP delivers! Now put the cal conversation on a Polymer80 frame to complete the "I made dis" trifecta.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Already on a polymere80 frame

I made dis!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Already on a polymere80 frame

I made dis!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3591/20181025_123456_jpg-733278.JPG
View Quote
Oh, teh knose! How did I miss that!

I have a large frame/ long slide ich I need to scratch. I'll do a 10 mike mike on a P80. I wish the .22 kit was a longslide. You c9uld squeeze a few more RPMs out of it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#5]
With the new large frame p80s I may have to copy you on that 10mm long slide. Sounds very interesting.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I wish the .22 kit was a longslide. You c9uld squeeze a few more RPMs out of it.
View Quote
I thought the idea of .22 LR was to spin it pretty slowly, so the variable CGs of cheap .22 LR isn't thrown off so much?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought the idea of .22 LR was to spin it pretty slowly, so the variable CGs of cheap .22 LR isn't thrown off so much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I wish the .22 kit was a longslide. You c9uld squeeze a few more RPMs out of it.
TCM not LR.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing new.

I have gotten the brass forming down. My load with Lil Gun seems to work well.

I need to shoot more and would like to chrony my loads. Hoping for 2000 FPS.

It is now cold and snowy here in ND, so I don't get out much. I may break down and visit an indoor range.

If it was nice out, I would be shooting it more and reloading more.

As of now, I am moving on to new projects:) this one is a success,  to me, at this point.

When I get bored again I will form more cases and cast more bullets ao I am well stocked for spring.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
@ JoshAston

Any further progress with your 38 super mag and polymer80 frame?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@ JoshAston

Any further progress with your 38 super mag and polymer80 frame?
View Quote
Not at the moment.  I'm laid up from ankle surgery.  I'll be able to walk again end of January.  I do have a .38 Super barrel on the way from BarSto.  Need to pick up a TCM barrel and some ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's to a quick recovery.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Getting this one fitted, slowly.  .22 TCM barrel has been ordered as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Two of three locking surfaces fitted. TCM barrel should be here in a few days also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Get well soon.  I have a .22 TCM take-off rifle bbl if you ever want to play w/ it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
What does the rifle barrel fit?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
My TCM barrel showed up a few days ago.  Still working on getting the .38 barrel fitted.  Should be able to get everything finished up late January and get them both test fired.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#18]
From your info...I bought the same EAA .38 super mag. Mine is the 17rd.

As you mention, it is a tight fit front to back but has extra space side to side.

You may know this already, but loaded TCM rounds will not eject easily. Not a big deal, but found that out.

I did buy a box of over priced locally sold TCM ammo to play with.

That is about as far as I have gotten.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to notch the slide so that live rounds can eject.  Shouldn't take much at all.  I may be able to angle it so that the notch isn't even visible from the side.

I've got two P80 frames that the EAA mag fits perfectly front to back.  Unfortunately they're both the G26 models.  It's really snug in the rest. I've been working on opening up a G19 sized frame by a few thousandths.  I'm probably going to epoxy some thin G10 on to the sides to remove the side to side play.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:24:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't looked at it lately, but the mag is obviously narrower (we have discussed the side to side play) because of that, will the mag catch reach the mag enough to work...I know something will have to be reshaped, the mag or the catch.

Would you add the G10 to the mag or to the inside of the grip?

If added to the mag, a glock shaped mag catch slot could be cut into the G10??? Just thinking out loud here;)

If you only plan to use the .38 super mags, then you may choose to add the material inside the grip/magwell, I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to add it to the mags.  Much easier to sand the outside of a mag to fit once I've got the G10 in place.  And same thinking as you, going to cut the mag release notch into the G10.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Great minds...etc...

Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  What does the rifle barrel fit?
View Quote
It's a takeoff bbl from the RIA .22 TCM bolt-action rifle from someone who presumably was converting it to 9x19mm:

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rifle-series/m22-tcm-ba/

Interesting they're stabilizing the little 40 grainer in a 1:16" twist - I guess it works fine for 40 grainers out of the .22 LR, just precludes anything heavier being single loaded.  The rifles have an indifferent reputation for accuracy - I wonder if it's the trigger, the bbl, or the ammo?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]
That is interesting.

Remember earlier in the thread I didnt think an AR in .22 TCM would make much sense......but now I may be rethinking that??

Maybe a 10" or so Pistol AR.

Just for fun, I will see if the TCM rounds will feed from my 9mm Endo Mags. Try some dummies into a 5.56 barrel.

The rest of the details would come later...haha.

I know someone sells the barrels for AR pistols, but they aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The rifles have an indifferent reputation for accuracy - I wonder if it's the trigger, the bbl, or the ammo?
View Quote
I read either here or a blog about one being rebarreled. The barrel was horrible quality, undersized tenon, loctited in to the receiver, receiver was sloppy and far from square, pretty much everything was making it inaccurate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is interesting.

Remember earlier in the thread I didnt think an AR in .22 TCM would make much sense......but now I may be rethinking that??

Maybe a 10" or so Pistol AR.

Just for fun, I will see if the TCM rounds will feed from my 9mm Endo Mags. Try some dummies into a 5.56 barrel.

The rest of the details would come later...haha.

I know someone sells the barrels for AR pistols, but they aren't cheap.
View Quote
I think Stern has a 1911 magwell adapter, or you could use 10x25mm Norma Glock mags on a Quarter Circle lower.  Or you could bend Uzi or what'shisname's .45 mags' feed lips.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]
My 9mm Pmag with Endo mag insert feeds .22 TCM R9 into my 9mm AR barrel with 9mm blow back bolt assembly. Extracts and ejects by hand too.

Blow back may be an easy option. Extraction and ejection may be iffy with the larger 9mm bolt head.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
It may extract a bit quickly and crack necks.  CMMG's delayed blowback bolt might be a better fit for this.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It may extract a bit quickly and crack necks.  CMMG's delayed blowback bolt might be a better fit for this.
View Quote
Agreed, just trying to be cheap and use some parts I already have.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Macon Armory has made some DI .22 TCMs using ppsh mags.

Blowback isn't a good option for the TCM.  The overbore is going to create more bolt thrust than a 9mm, even when loaded to similar pressures.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Macon Armory has made some DI .22 TCMs using ppsh mags.

Blowback isn't a good option for the TCM.  The overbore is going to create more bolt thrust than a 9mm, even when loaded to similar pressures.
View Quote
It's on the edge.  Stuff enough weight back there it might run.  The similar 5.7x28mm runs in blowback actions, but uses  Teflon coating to get there.

The CMMG action is probably ideal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's on the edge.  Stuff enough weight back there it might run.  The similar 5.7x28mm runs in blowback actions, but uses  Teflon coating to get there.

The CMMG action is probably ideal.
View Quote
5.7 uses a smaller diameter case, so less overbore, less bolt thrust.  Think of it like a water hose.  The closer in diameter the hose and the nozzle are the less pressure build up there is.  Increase the hose size while maintaining nozzle size and you'll have more pressure build up.  Same if you maintain hose size and decrease the nozzle size.  So .22 TCM and .17x28 will both have more bolt thrust than 5.7x28.  .224 Boz will have even more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting thread.  Hadn't seen the TCM9R until my father got one.   He picked up one of the RIA guns and shot 3 rounds and already sending it back.  Failure to extract and popping primers.

He was asking me if I had seen any info on reloading and I hadn't.  He doesn't cast, has anyone seen any other bullet options?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Pulls from .22 WMR?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Mags are dropping free easily now.  Used a few layers of foil tape on the back of the mag, heated the magwell with a heat gun on low, put the mag in and let it cool.  .38 Barrel is fitted.  Only problem I'm having now is the mag catch pushing the mag too far to the side and rounds are catching on the side of the chamber.  When I hold the mag somewhat centered it feeds fine.  I think once I've built up the sides of the mag it should feed fine.  .22 TCM would probably feed just fine regardless.  I still need to open up the ejection port as well.  I've done pretty much all I can do until the doc clears me to walk again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered a barrel liner from Track of the Wolf to try my hand at making a 17L barrel.  Being stuck in the house is getting pretty old, I'm beyond ready to head to the shop and start cutting metal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Are you doing a 17L length slide or a 17 length with barrel sticking out? If 17L, their MAY be a weight issue for proper cycling. Maybe.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Are you doing a 17L length slide or a 17 length with barrel sticking out? If 17L, their MAY be a weight issue for proper cycling. Maybe.....
View Quote
17L.  I full expect to have to lighten it a good bit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a few updates, but they will only be interesting to reloader/casters.

1. Forming your own brass is incredibly labor intensive. I think I have around 125 now. I started hot and heavy, then they just sat there...finished them up recently.

2. I ordered 250 rounds of ammo.

3. I am able to use normal brass (not shortening the necks) now with my cast bullets. I do, however have to use a mag that allows a longer overall cartridge. I found the Amend 2 glock mags allow this. The OAL of the full length brass and my cast bullet is somewhere between factory .22 TCM 9R and .22 TCM.

I need to shoot MORE.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I have also temporarily switched my attention to a Tac Solutions. 22LR conversion on the same P80 compact frame. I now have 3 calibers. I will probably build another slide for the .TCM barrel.

Beware of the man with only 1 gun....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#43]
So, I am still not sure if an AR in .22TCM makes a ton of sense, but I ordered a barrel today.

Wanted to share, since we have talked about it a bit here.

We shall see.

8", SS, DI
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Post pictures when you get it together.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Will do...hope my plans actually work...we shall see. (Famous last words....)
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#46]
HK_DUDE,

I like the work you have done with your TCM 9R build. I too have been down this road, for almost 2 years. I have both the 9R and standard TCM in pistols, and also an AR Pistol chambered in the 22 TCM running on a DI pistol gas system. I built the ARP to run on factory ammo, but prefer to run my own reloads. I originally milled out a dedicated colt 9mm AR lower to accept PPS43 mags http://blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/thread/2697/22-tcm, but have since switched to a standard lower due to the introduction of the EndoMags(CMMG Version). I must say that these EndoMags(CMMG Version) work well for both the 9R and standard TCM.

I learned that the standard TCM ammo will shoot out of the 9R barrel for the Glocks, but as you know the issue lies with the magazine, which leads me to my next point (which seems to have been addressed in this thread), find a magazine that will accept standard TCM ammo while also fitting within the Glock 9mm grip. This is the point I got to with the 9R after I couldn't find any bullets to reload with, and when I switched to the 1911 variant so I could run the same reloads through a handgun and ARP.

Now for the ARP and the EndoMags, what I found with these was that the feed ramp angle was too steep, which caused the "nose up" jams within the barrel extension due to the travel distance. I fixed this by decreasing the angle with a file. The next mod is to remove the rear round support (pops in and out) of the EndoMag(CMMG Version) to allow the standard TCM round to fit. To also note, the 9R feeds perfectly when the EndoMag is in it's "9mm" variant. There is a ton more information, but I thought this would be enough to wet the whistles of those who are interested.

Chris

" />
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have a G19 conversion barrel they'd be willing to part with or trade for a 17 barrel?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Josh, I have a take off .22 TCM rifle bbl if you need something else to fiddle w/.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Josh, I have a take off .22 TCM rifle bbl if you need something else to fiddle w/.
View Quote
I'm doing a 26 and 17L.  I'm making my own 17L barrel.  The easiest way to make the 26 would be to cut a 19 and thread a cone on to it.  Otherwise I'll have to sleeve one, which is what I'm doing with the 17L.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
HK_DUDE,

I like the work you have done with your TCM 9R build. I too have been down this road, for almost 2 years. I have both the 9R and standard TCM in pistols, and also an AR Pistol chambered in the 22 TCM running on a DI pistol gas system. I built the ARP to run on factory ammo, but prefer to run my own reloads. I originally milled out a dedicated colt 9mm AR lower to accept PPS43 mags http://blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/thread/2697/22-tcm, but have since switched to a standard lower due to the introduction of the EndoMags(CMMG Version). I must say that these EndoMags(CMMG Version) work well for both the 9R and standard TCM.

I learned that the standard TCM ammo will shoot out of the 9R barrel for the Glocks, but as you know the issue lies with the magazine, which leads me to my next point (which seems to have been addressed in this thread), find a magazine that will accept standard TCM ammo while also fitting within the Glock 9mm grip. This is the point I got to with the 9R after I couldn't find any bullets to reload with, and when I switched to the 1911 variant so I could run the same reloads through a handgun and ARP.

Now for the ARP and the EndoMags, what I found with these was that the feed ramp angle was too steep, which caused the "nose up" jams within the barrel extension due to the travel distance. I fixed this by decreasing the angle with a file. The next mod is to remove the rear round support (pops in and out) of the EndoMag(CMMG Version) to allow the standard TCM round to fit. To also note, the 9R feeds perfectly when the EndoMag is in it's "9mm" variant. There is a ton more information, but I thought this would be enough to wet the whistles of those who are interested.

Chris

https://images2.imgbox.com/49/28/5Ci5dG6S_o.png" target="_blank">https://images2.imgbox.com/49/28/5Ci5dG6S_o.png
View Quote
My experiment with the AR was odd. At first I didn't see the point, as I have a 5.56 AR and a .22LR, so I didn't see the point. Then after playing with my P80 pistol in .22 TCMR9 I changed my mind and pursued an AR build.

My plan was to use the CMMG mod Endo mag. I did the same thing..removing the rear spring guide to allow for longer cartridge.

I ordered a DI pistol barrel and tried my luck. Shortly after getting it together I was having buyers remorse and started wondering what the point was again...haha. If money was no object, sure....but it is an object for me.

The barrel wasn't exactly perfect. That plus the fact that initial testing with dummy ammo wouldn't feed at all from the endo mag made me scrap the project.

In my P80 pistol, a 2000 fps round with next to no recoil still excites me. But, due to expense (.22 TCM AR barrels are spendy) it fizzled in my mind to do an AR.

Your AR looks like lots of fun...and if the barrels were as cheap as others are these days...I may reconsider some time.

Thanks for all your info.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top