Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Very exciting! I hope it works!

Wouldn't a hotrod cartridge like this benifit from a longer barrel? I wish they made it in a 17L.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wouldn't a hotrod cartridge like this benifit from a longer barrel? I wish they made it in a 17L.
View Quote
It would.  I'm thinking about getting a .22 centerfire liner and fitting it to a cheap 17L barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It would.  I'm thinking about getting a .22 centerfire liner and fitting it to a cheap 17L barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just thinking out loud here....

Would you have to line the chamber and recut also, since the 9mm cut chamber is larger then the .22 TCM chamber? That would get paper thin?

Or am I smoking something??
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably.  The liner itself would be thin, but it'd be supported by the Glock barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I think we could build up a blowback AR in this.  We already have the mag blocks, use a 9x19mm bolt, and I have an RIA takeoff bbl...
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think we could build up a blowback AR in this.  We already have the mag blocks, use a 9x19mm bolt, and I have an RIA takeoff bbl...
View Quote
No, horrible idea.  Macon Armory has already made some in DI.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I know early on in the thread I mentioned doing an AR.

However, once I have actually thought of it, I don't see an advantage. I already have short AR pistols (also SBRs) so what plus would a same size AR in a cartridge that has lesser ballistics then a 5.56? I realize a 7.5" 5.56 looses alot of velocity, but it must still be faster than the .22 TCM.

I like new things and projects though...for sure.

Am I missing something maybe?

I see it in the pistol for sure, but not as much in an AR size package.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm working on a .221 Fireball AR.  I think it has a lot of potential in the 7.5" barrel.  Shouldn't lose much if any velocity to 5.56 and will have less blast. Gun will also be 1/2" shorter than a standard AR.  Now if I could just stop getting cut on so I'd have some time to finish it.

But yeah, the TCM is kind of pointless in an AR.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  No, horrible idea.  Macon Armory has already made some in DI.
View Quote
Why is it a horrible idea?  I'm sure Macon's are top notch, but seems a lot of complication.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I know early on in the thread I mentioned doing an AR.

However, once I have actually thought of it, I don't see an advantage. I already have short AR pistols (also SBRs) so what plus would a same size AR in a cartridge that has lesser ballistics then a 5.56? I realize a 7.5" 5.56 looses alot of velocity, but it must still be faster than the .22 TCM.

I like new things and projects though...for sure.

Am I missing something maybe?

I see it in the pistol for sure, but not as much in an AR size package.
View Quote
My current secondary is a SUB-2000, as carrying a concealable rifle in Texas has certain legal advantages.  I'd love to have a 2100+ fps cartridge in pistol & rifle if we could get rifle quality wounds out of it.  Folding AR prices have come down a bit, and having a .22 TCM w/ CMMG's radial delayed blowback in the AR w/ the side-folding bbl would be quite the package.  Otherwise, I'd settle for it out of the SUB-2000.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why is it a horrible idea?  I'm sure Macon's are top notch, but seems a lot of complication.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  No, horrible idea.  Macon Armory has already made some in DI.
High pressure with significant overbore. Even the 5.7 requires special coating to work in a blowback and it has much less overbore than the TCM.

DI .22 TCM uses mostly standard AR parts and a PPsH mag well adapter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  High pressure with significant overbore. Even the 5.7 requires special coating to work in a blowback and it has much less overbore than the TCM.

View Quote
Higher pressure than 7.62x25mm?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  High pressure with significant overbore. Even the 5.7 requires special coating to work in a blowback and it has much less overbore than the TCM.

Yes, and significantly more overbore.

I'm not aware of any blowback 7.62x25 uppers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Yes, and significantly more overbore.

View Quote
Plenty of 7.62x25mm submachineguns in straight blowback, though.

In what sense are you using overbore?  More powder capacity than needed?  It certainly wouldn't seem overbore for a 16" bbl.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In what sense are you using overbore?  More powder capacity than needed?  It certainly wouldn't seem overbore for a 16" bbl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Yes, and significantly more overbore.

Over bore is bore to base ratio.  Tok and TCM have basically the same size case head but the TCM has a drastically smaller bore, thus increasing bolt thrust.

Tok sub guns guns are mostly open bolt which allows slightly lighter weight than closed bolt.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Love some 762x25 action.  It's what got me into bottleneck handgun cartridges ages ago.  It's too bad there is no real modern handgun in tok.

That's what makes the TCM9R appealing to me.  22 micro mag is just awesome.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Would have went to my outdoor range today, but it has been raining on and off all day. The problem is that it closes for the year after tomorrow.

So, loaded 15 rounds into my 15rd Pmag and shot them into the otherside of the ditch on a near by gravel road.

I saw a fireball on each round. It is a cloudy, rainy day.

I didn't pay too much attention to recoil, but it was mild.

Fired all 15 as fast as I could...it ran 100% and locked back. Ejection was pretty consistent, but I managed to only find 9 pieces of brass.

So far, so fun!

Glad I made the purchase.

No I want to chrony them and see if I can hit anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It stopped raining. I was able to put some rounds on paper, but didn't have my chrony.

Function was perfect now for 65 rounds total.

All shooting was done at 30 feet. I am not much of a handgun marksman.

This was 5 rounds resting on my shooting bag. The first round would always go high.

Attachment Attached File

This next one is standing at 30 feet. I was only running 5 at a time through the gun. I marked the first round from the 3-5 shot groups with a "1"....the other lower left shots are all rounds 2-5 of the 3 total mags. The 1st round high and right seems consistent. Again...I don't claim to be a good pistol shot.

Attachment Attached File

It is so fun to shoot. Soft recoil, but still enough to be fun and still know you have some power there.

It is a pleasant big boom! Not an ear/brain piercing crack, more like a low baritone, like a harley...haha. I had foam ear plugs in.

I need to order dies, start hacking up some LC brass and get my mold ordered. I also shot about 100 rounds of 9mm in the same gun..the 9mm was boring compared to the .22 TCM9R.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#21]
It has enough potential that I ordered dies, etc...

Firat plan is to form my own brass...I already have the little HB saw, as I also form my own .300 BlK brass.

If that sucks, ai will have to buy some brass, but I have to try as that is part of the fun...gives me a self sufficient feeling to make my own brass.

Still undecided on what I plan to do for bullets.

At first I may try some backwards Vmax bullets for fun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
F@$k it, I just ordered the arsenal mold today. Have to eat ramen all of Novenber.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
F@$k it, I just ordered the arsenal mold today. Have to eat ramen all of Novenber.
View Quote
Probably be a market for decent bullets to offset your costs.  I'd be down for a batch when you get them dialed in.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Probably be a market for decent bullets to offset your costs.  I'd be down for a batch when you get them dialed in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will keep that in mind...thanks.

My dies are supposed to show up Thursday, so I can start converting some brass. We shall see how that goes. 5.56 to .300 blk was pretty easy, so I think this will be similar. I just have to anneal these, or so I read.

I will get a shipping notice once the mold ships....the website says to allow a couple days.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#25]
My Witness mag is showing up today.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:. Probably be a market for decent bullets to offset your costs.  I'd be down for a batch when you get them dialed in.
View Quote
Check w/ Fat McNasty before you embark on that, OP.  I think by the time he paid the ITAR taxes he lost money on the .300 Blackout subs he was making.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Witness mag is showing up today.
View Quote
Inquiring minds want to know more!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Check w/ Fat McNasty before you embark on that, OP.  I think by the time he paid the ITAR taxes he lost money on the .300 Blackout subs he was making.
View Quote
I wouldn't plan on selling them, just too much liability.......
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a .38 Super mag in a small frame P80.  Front to back is a perfect, little play side to side.

Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#30]
So, how long of a cartridge will it fit? Stuff any TCMs in there yet? Does the feed angle look doable?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Very intriguing, Josh.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Fit in my Glocks and other P80s is really snug, nothing a few seconds of filing on the back side of the magwell wouldn't fix.  It feeds and even activates the slide stop in my G19 using 9mm.  Don't have a TCM kit yet, so can't check that.  I'll have to mod either the mag or the mag release to get it to lock into place.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, how long of a cartridge will it fit? Stuff any TCMs in there yet? Does the feed angle look doable?
View Quote
I don't have any TCM yet, but seeing as the factory TCMs come with .38 Super mags, should work. Feed angle is perfect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Josh,

Can you verify that this is the mag you have?

Click here for lnk
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Josh,

Click here for lnk
View Quote
I got the 10rd because I'm in commieland, but yes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Josh,

Click here for lnk
Bummer...but Ok, thanks.

I may need to add one to my next order.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bummer...but Ok, thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Josh,

Click here for lnk
Bummer...but Ok, thanks.

I go on terminal leave in 9 months, heading back out west somewhere where mag limits don't exist.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I have all my dies, etc...just no mold yet. Arsenals website said 2-3 days from order to shipping. At 7 day-ish in, I reached out to them and they are saying another week.

That is false advertising, but I need the mold. I will dry my tears and push on

More to come.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I typically use Hornady dies for most things. I also have a few special Lee dies that I really like.

If you are forning your own .22 TCM brass, do NOT buy the Lee die. It has a vent hole right at the shoulder and it wrecks most of the brass because the unsized brass lip catches the hole and either creases the neck and shoulder or completely wrecks it.

Yes, I am annealing and lubing.

Hornady dies on the way. Why didn't I just by them first?

The lee die works great for just resizing factory TCM brass. And, the lee trim die and cutter is slick as $hit!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Good thread, I have been planning to do the same for a while now.

I also may cast for this since there are no bullets available. A pound of lead will make a lot of these little bullets too.

Cool round, not a lot of publicity for it, hope more people get into it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I received the Hornady dies today. Been playing forming brass. I think I have it down pretty good.

Figured a good length to cut the .223 case to. Have a system to anneal.

The hornady sizing dies seems to work best with the decapping pin/neck expander out of the die to form the case, then run the batch through them again with that back in place.

I had to turn the die another turn to knock the shoulder back a little to fit properly in the glock conversion barrel.

Tracking says the mold will arrive tomorrow. Not much more I can do until I have some bullets cast to mock up a few dummy rounds to make sure they chamber with a bullet in them. Hopefully I have chosen cases that the walls aren't too thick. I dont want to turn necks.

I am not making my own brass to save money. I love a new project and it makes me feel somewhat self sufficient. Also, if they stop making factory brass, I will be good.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#42]
The lead is heating as we speak!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Nice!

Can you post your technique for doing the polymer coating? I haven't done that before.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#44]
The powder coating is easy.  There are many videos on youtube that go step by step.

I use a plastic bowl with a lid (the recycle triangle should have a 5 inside it.....this seems to be the best plastic to create static electricity), drop in your bullets, add a small amount of powder coat powder, shake, spin the bullets around until they have a decent coat of dry powder. Then shake off the extra (I uses a wire bin that was purchased at Bed bath and beyond) powder and put the wire bin and bullets into a 400 degree toaster oven for 20 mins. I quench when done.

I have working dummy rounds. This has been the biggest pain in the a$$ to get the exact right sequence down for forming/sizing/etc.....the challenge is to try keep the neck thickness thin enough so the loaded round will fit in the chamber.

I have it down.....now I just need to load a few live rounds and see if they function.

Added:  To get everything to work properly, my trim length is down hovering around 1.00" or a few thousands over. Shorter then spec, but good neck tension and I do a light crimp with the cast bullets.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Next to a factory. 22TCM9R

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#46]
That looks great!

I assume they hand cycle smoothly?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#47]
They do.

I have 4 loaded with 10.0 grains of Lil gun to try tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have to change my name from HK_DUDE to "Lefty"...Haha.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I fired a mag with 4 reloads and 4 factory loads this morning. All functioned 100%.

Primers are fattening, but nothing major. They feel and sound very similar to the factory rounds.

Now I need to chrony them and see if they will hit the broad side of a barn.

I want to get 2,000 FPS and I feel I can.

More to come, but not sure when.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#49]
There was a newer powder on the market called “TCM” if I remember correctly.  I’m pretty sure it was marketed towards this round obviously.  I’ll have to google it up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I have seen that as well. None available locally. I am trying to wait until Midway has a "no hazmat fee" special going and I may order some.

Many forums that I have been checking out seem to love H110/W296 as well as Lil Gun. Some say Lil Gun is better.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top