BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd totally rock an Officer's 1911 w/ a red dot and a long bbl sticking out as long as I can figger how to get it into a SUB-2000 or a Fold AR.
View Quote
@backbencher
what happened to the G26 dream?

G26 2000 ft/sec @ 52k psi

When do you get stateside?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Going to use my 34 as the host.

I had planned on using the 26 but the barrel I bought to modify was out of spec and lockup is jacked up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@backbencher
what happened to the G26 dream?

G26 2000 ft/sec @ 52k psi

When do you get stateside?
View Quote
Perfectly happy to use the 26, was thinking the Mamba was too long?  If it fits in the new PSA guns, then sure, will run a 19 bbl in a 26.  Want to get over 2100 fps if we can.  How light a bullet can we run?  .22 WMR pulls?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Perfectly happy to use the 26, was thinking the Mamba was too long?  If it fits in the new PSA guns, then sure, will run a 19 bbl in a 26.  Want to get over 2100 fps if we can.  How light a bullet can we run?  .22 WMR pulls?
View Quote
The cases pictured were made from my mamba die reamer ran short. the 22 Mamba is 1.125" case nominally. I settled on the .860" case so I could run spitzer style bullets. It did require neck reaming but if you look at the video I just posted it was a breeze with my case jig.

One could possibly use 22 TCM brass and side step the neck reaming as it's thinner.

QL shows 2126 @ 55k psi from a 4" barrel (and a gentleman on glock talk says I should have no issues running 55k psi) He has run 1000's of rounds through is glocks at said pressures in his 9mm's (run at Major 9 pressures) a 9x23 he built, and his 30 luger long aka 30 super (he chambered a 30L barrel deeper)

as for bullets lighter than this. yes I have considered some 22 mag pulls (the 30gr v-max is appealing) Speer makes a 33gr jhp which I have some of. they show 2170 ft/sec from a 4" barrel

All of the other lite bullets are non copper which are longer and eat up powder space thus being slower.

The 40gr speer gold dot that just got released for the 5.7x28 has also caught my attention
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Well holy crap where do I start.

Worked on the barrel off and on today and bi-golly I think I have a serviceable barrel. (need to dremel in the feed ramp tomorrow still)

So I started by using a chunk of 1:8 stainless barrel I had lying around (preferred 1:9 but hey it's what I had)

I faced it up, dialed it in, chambered it then cut the tenon for the stub.

Got enough tenon there?

Next I dialed in the 9mm barrel and bored it out as deep as I could then drilled the rest, threaded as deep as I could get it and then finished it off with a tap (I know, I know but I got a good 1" plus of threads done before the tap) parted it off and had a good laugh.

Introducing the new 1.5" 50 cal glock barrel!!! has a 28 twist barrel and nukes everything in sight.

Next I dialed in the muzzle end then profiled the barrel down to the final OD, put a quick crown on it, then I cleaned both the parts up and married the two with sleeve retainer.

Silly me knocked the edge of the barrel stub with a file out of habbit so I couldn't blend in the two pieces 100% DOH!

Then came the moment of truth......will it fit in the gun and can I rack the slide.....Eureka!

Barrel ended up at 5.2" finished length, round drops in and out like a charm.

I'm going to profile the feed ramp in tomorrow and load up a few rounds starting around 25k psi. I have no plans to worry about getting it cycling yet. I'm more interested in the workup and seeing what kind of velocities are obtainable.

So what are we gonna call this little booger?

PS. @joshaston thanks for the great idea on stubbing the barrel. without that I wouldn't have pursued this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
.22 GAP.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL if there wasn't fears of Glock coming after me for royalties that would be fun!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  LOL if there wasn't fears of Glock coming after me for royalties that would be fun!
View Quote
G.A.P. might be copyrighted.  GAP is a word.  .22 Luger?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well holy crap where do I start.

Worked on the barrel off and on today and bi-golly I think I have a serviceable barrel. (need to dremel in the feed ramp tomorrow still)

So I started by using a chunk of 1:8 stainless barrel I had lying around (preferred 1:9 but hey it's what I had)

I faced it up, dialed it in, chambered it then cut the tenon for the stub.
https://i.imgur.com/Wkfl7VBl.jpg
Got enough tenon there?

Next I dialed in the 9mm barrel and bored it out as deep as I could then drilled the rest, threaded as deep as I could get it and then finished it off with a tap (I know, I know but I got a good 1" plus of threads done before the tap) parted it off and had a good laugh.
https://i.imgur.com/neReyrnl.jpg
Introducing the new 1.5" 50 cal glock barrel!!! has a 28 twist barrel and nukes everything in sight.

Next I dialed in the muzzle end then profiled the barrel down to the final OD, put a quick crown on it, then I cleaned both the parts up and married the two with sleeve retainer.
https://i.imgur.com/5RQIuyal.jpg
Silly me knocked the edge of the barrel stub with a file out of habbit so I couldn't blend in the two pieces 100% DOH!

Then came the moment of truth......will it fit in the gun and can I rack the slide.....Eureka!
https://i.imgur.com/id2N6Tgl.jpg
Barrel ended up at 5.2" finished length, round drops in and out like a charm.

I'm going to profile the feed ramp in tomorrow and load up a few rounds starting around 25k psi. I have no plans to worry about getting it cycling yet. I'm more interested in the workup and seeing what kind of velocities are obtainable.

So what are we gonna call this little booger?

PS. @joshaston thanks for the great idea on stubbing the barrel. without that I wouldn't have pursued this.
View Quote
That's awesome, just sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]

took the pipsqueek out for it's maiden voyage and was happily surprised.

4.5gr of PP yielded an avg. of 1780 ft/sec

5gr yielded 1940 ft/sec avg

These are mild 25k and 30k psi loads so lot's left in it. no case expansion noticed but still need to bust out the mic to verify.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/XQfvUzOl.jpg
took the pipsqueek out for it's maiden voyage and was happily surprised.

4.5gr of PP yielded an avg. of 1780 ft/sec

5gr yielded 1940 ft/sec avg

These are mild 25k and 30k psi loads so lot's left in it. no case expansion noticed but still need to bust out the mic to verify.
View Quote
Awesome! Keep up the good work.

This little '.224 Auto' has a lot of potential.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
So figured I'd bounce these names off you guys and see what you thought.

My other Wildcats are named off a snake (Mamba) so keeping with the small theme I was thinking of the 22 Adder.

Another one that came to mind was 22 Tarantula Hawk. One mean giant ass wasp indigenous to where I live.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I like .22 Adder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My other Wildcats are named off a snake (Mamba) so keeping with the small theme I was thinking of the 22 Adder.

Another one that came to mind was 22 Tarantula Hawk. One mean giant ass wasp indigenous to where I live.
View Quote
.22 Adder is ok, but at a minimum, I'd change it to ".224 Adder." The reason being that the main advantage of this cartridge over .22 TCM is that its capable of using real, .224 Spitzer projectiles.

Honestly I think this cartridge has real commercial potential, so I would view naming it with that in mind. I could totally see it replacing .22 tcm and also cutting into 5.7 - it offers the best of both worlds.

As such, I would suggest ".224 Auto" or "5.56 Auto," as Auto is synonymous with real, mainstream pistol cartridges, while .224/5.56 ties back to its rifle capable roots.

If further testing proves positive, I could absolutely see you being able to partner with ammunition manufacturers and bringing the cartridge to market.

I think Shell Shock cases would be the ideal for a commercial case offering. They are designed for high pressure, and because they use a uniform, thin wall stainless steel, they will likely offer a bit more case capacity vs brass:

Also being 50% lighter then brass, this will make the cartridge even lighter then 5.7x28; this would make it for a truly viable PDW round.

Major question is, can the cartridge work with 40gr VMAX at 9x19 length?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.22 Adder is ok, but at a minimum, I'd change it to ".224 Adder." The reason being that the main advantage of this cartridge over .22 TCM is that its capable of using real, .224 Spitzer projectiles.

Honestly I think this cartridge has real commercial potential, so I would view naming it with that in mind. I could totally see it replacing .22 tcm and also cutting into 5.7 - it offers the best of both worlds.

As such, I would suggest ".224 Auto" or "5.56 Auto," as Auto is synonymous with real, mainstream pistol cartridges, while .224/5.56 ties back to its rifle capable roots.

If further testing proves positive, I could absolutely see you being able to partner with ammunition manufacturers and bringing the cartridge to market.

I think Shell Shock cases would be the ideal for a commercial case offering. They are designed for high pressure, and because they use a uniform, thin wall stainless steel, they will likely offer a bit more case capacity vs brass:

https://americanhandgunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/AH-MJ17-LOAD-1B.jpg

Also being 50% lighter then brass, this will make the cartridge even lighter then 5.7x28; this would make it for a truly viable PDW round.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless we can hit 2100 fps out of the pistol w/ 40s, that's not an issue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
No it will not fit with a 40gr v-max at 9x19 length's. However that loading in the 5.7 is lackluster at best. going to a fbhp version of the bullet (like the nosler varmageddon) yeilds 100 ft/sec more velocity and will fit at mag length.

one bullet that has caught my eye is this https://www.rrweaponsystems.com/product-page/r37-x-5-7x28mm It's probably going to be pretty close to being too long. but If I had to trim necks .025" to run it I would....depending on performance.

Those hybrid cases are pretty cool. seen them recently. I like the concept.
Appreciate your insight.

Once I dial in the cartridge and find it's potential. i'll play around with speed vs mass tests and see what works best. Maybe I can scrape up and buy one of those clear ballistics blocks. I also would like to buy some 22 mag ammo and pull down the 30gr v-max in those and see how fast I can get them. QL spit out 2400+ for those little guys and Reed custom ammo makes a 25gr fbhp that is estimated to do 2550!!! but not sure I want to cough up $35 per 100 for them.

I don't have much time and definitely not much money lol (raising 4 children and one off to college) so I do things as I can here and there.  This project cost me a box of bullets thus far. Granted I had already purchased the reamer for my other wildcat and the barrel came with a slide I bought (no name) then the .224 blank is excess from my SBR barrel I built.

Fun none the less and coming together nicely thus far.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
IM me your address, please.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No it will not fit with a 40gr v-max at 9x19 length's. However that loading in the 5.7 is lackluster at best. going to a fbhp version of the bullet (like the nosler varmageddon) yeilds 100 ft/sec more velocity and will fit at mag length.

one bullet that has caught my eye is this https://www.rrweaponsystems.com/product-page/r37-x-5-7x28mm It's probably going to be pretty close to being too long. but If I had to trim necks .025" to run it I would....depending on performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If theres some way to tweak the cartridge a bit to allow slightly longer .224's like the 40gr VMAX, I would highly recommend that.

The reason being, this opens up a lot more potential for projectiles. And it also insulates the cartridge from disruption should a projectile get discontinued. Whereas if the cartridge is optimized for 1 projectile, and it gets discontinued...

That said, here are some other promising projectiles:

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php?_route_=all/224-high-velocity-controlled-chaos-copper-32gr-bullet

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/224-32gr-mth

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ballistic-tip-varmint/ballistic-tip-varmint-22-caliber-40-grain-bullet-100ct.html

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101093664?pid=472742

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010924094?pid=520110

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1250173486?pid=955499
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I went shorter for more bullet selection for the reason's you mentioned so definitely way more than a few bullets that will work for it as is. All of the hornet bullets work, the Bee bullets, the TCM bullets, and most likely any of the non tipped sub 40gr bullets. the 35gr vmax and varmageddon however would work.

I have those speer 33gr jhp's, the 40gr tcm bullet, the 45gr "xtp" (hornady bee bullets), the 34gr "nosler" aka dogtown, a few 40gr sierra sp and I think that about it for mag length loads.

The lead free bullets don't really offer any gains because they too are long for their weight and eat up case capacity. Now the expanding copper monolithic's do in my opinion warrant any loss in velocity.

And like mentioned Speer is releasing a 40gr gold dot in the 5.7 which I really have my eyes on.

Now if one were to run those EAA 38 super mags listed a few pages back(which I so happen to have one) that still fit in glock 9mm frames one could have their cake and eat it too. ie. 1.275" loads would load any bullet with ease.

but for now i'll focus on the 9mm length loads as it is the most practical.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went shorter for more bullet selection for the reason's you mentioned so definitely way more than a few bullets that will work for it as is. All of the hornet bullets work, the Bee bullets, the TCM bullets, and most likely any of the non tipped sub 40gr bullets. the 35gr vmax and varmageddon however would work.

I have those speer 33gr jhp's, the 40gr tcm bullet, the 45gr "xtp" (hornady bee bullets), the 34gr "nosler" aka dogtown, a few 40gr sierra sp and I think that about it for mag length loads.

The lead free bullets don't really offer any gains because they too are long for their weight and eat up case capacity. Now the expanding copper monolithic's do in my opinion warrant any loss in velocity.

And like mentioned Speer is releasing a 40gr gold dot in the 5.7 which I really have my eyes on.

Now if one were to run those EAA 38 super mags listed a few pages back(which I so happen to have one) that still fit in glock 9mm frames one could have their cake and eat it too. ie. 1.275" loads would load any bullet with ease.

but for now i'll focus on the 9mm length loads as it is the most practical.
View Quote
Maybe the polymer Witness .38 super might end up the ideal conversion?

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/eaa-witness-p-match-pro-semi-automatic-pistol-.38-super-4.75-barrel-17-rounds-polymer-competition-frame-dasa-trigger-fully-adjustable-super-sight-black-finish/FC-741566603747.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I know nothing of that platform.

With the advent of the 80% glocks with tons of aftermarket support I would think it would be the ideal conversion. I'm willing to bet 40gr bullets aren't going to yield any better terminal performance over the fast movers.(except maybe that 40gr gold dot) If we were after heavier bullets we'd just go up in caliber.

One thing I failed to mention is I loaded up the 10 rounds I made the other day in the mag and it weighed nothing! usually a mag full of 9mm (granted I run 147gr HST's) feels as heavy as the gun it's self.

Need to get me one of those postal scales to see what the total weight of the gun is fully loaded. I'd venture to bet it less than my 26 loaded with 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Not even Gold Dots are magical.  From what I've heard so far, the sub-2000 fps Gold Dots out of a 5.7mm pistol will be as effective as .380 ACP FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not even Gold Dots are magical.  From what I've heard so far, the sub-2000 fps Gold Dots out of a 5.7mm pistol will be as effective as .380 ACP FMJ.
View Quote
on bare gel or after defeating sba?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

on bare gel or after defeating sba?
View Quote
Bare gel.  Have to ask Buffman if 5.7 Gold Dot will defeat any soft armor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
SHOT Show 2020 - Cutting Edge Bullets ELR .22LR

Wonder what weights these are going to fall into......
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a TCM, but using the Witness mags.

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3Cjxcl1Ck
View Quote
That's glorious.

I always wanted a 9x23 winchester Glock 34.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's glorious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3Cjxcl1Ck
That's glorious.

That would be easier because you could just ream out a 9x19 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That would be easier because you could just ream out a 9x19 barrel.
View Quote
Be careful on a OEM barrel though. that shit is nasty hard! I ate up 3 carbide inserts trying to thread my 19 barrel for the 26. Once you break through it's not bad but damn is the surface hard!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bare gel.  Have to ask Buffman if 5.7 Gold Dot will defeat any soft armor.
View Quote
Given it's only supposed to crack 1800 fps, You may be lucky to penetrate a IIA. I believe I have some IIA in the basement still, and if and when I can get my hands on this speer loading, I will see what it can do. It just seems the 1800 fps is lackluster, when I have to imagine 1900 fps in a 40gr bullet should be doable and safe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#32]
@Buffman_LT1

Once I get this puppy dialed in would you be interested in giving it the ol shake down and do some gel testing? What does a FN average with 34gr bullets?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Buffman_LT1

Once I get this puppy dialed in would you be interested in giving it the ol shake down and do some gel testing? What does a FN average with 34gr bullets?
View Quote
I mean I'm always interested in high speed handgun rounds :D I do believe I have 6 blocks here that just need recasting.
Depending on the bullet type anywhere from 2150-2300 (tops), at least from the loads I've chrono'd.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Given it's only supposed to crack 1800 fps, You may be lucky to penetrate a IIA. I believe I have some IIA in the basement still, and if and when I can get my hands on this speer loading, I will see what it can do. It just seems the 1800 fps is lackluster, when I have to imagine 1900 fps in a 40gr bullet should be doable and safe.
View Quote
Folks hear Gold Dot, and reliable expansion, oooh!  But if the expansion is only .355", then you have a high cap, low-recoil, very expensive .380.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Bummer. I will say I had enough faith in the Gold Dot name to have faith in it being a quality product
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I've always wanted to try the 22lr to bullet swaging.

Just ran across this

Talked to the guy who makes the swaging dies. he stated the picture shown was completely full of lead and weighs 40gr but you could put less core in it and reduce the weight. he also stated if you wanted to trim jackets (this is made from a 22 short case) you could shortened the bullet till it had very little bearing surface and a bullet of about 20gr could easily be made.

May try my hand at making my own dies lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#38]
We need to neck this down to 5mm.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I think necking up to 6mm would be better, but no lightweight bullet selection
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Using QL

going to a 20 cal version would yield 2220 ft/sec with a 32gr FBHP @ 55K 5.2" barrel

6mm actually wouldn't work out that well 2100 ish assuming someone made a 40gr bullet

22 cal seem's to be the sweet spot for this capacity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Let's see how the 30 grainers run.  Can you imagine a Glock 26 w/ a long bbl, optic, and 100 rnd twin-drum Beta Mag spitting 30 grn FMJs @ 2200 fps?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let's see how the 30 grainers run.  Can you imagine a Glock 26 w/ a long bbl, optic, and 100 rnd twin-drum Beta Mag spitting 30 grn FMJs @ 2200 fps?  
View Quote
Don't have nor want a 100rnd beta but i'm just about there on the rest of the description

Still need to find time to go to my buddies to use his mill and mill my slide. The Holosun on the 34 was actually purchased for this build. Currently sporting a 9mm barrel comped that I intend on running Major 9 (357 sig performance ) level loads in.

Once I wrap up my testing in the 34 I plan on doing one for this as well. May actually buy a blank this time and go 1:9 twist like I wanted to.

Look what you started....tisk tisk tisk.

ETA: The Hyve parts are Red not pink so don't give me no shit ok!
also 4" barrel should hit your 2200 goal with 30's so a standard threaded barrel may be all that is needed. can you imagine a Suppressed Glock 26 w/ a long bbl, optic, and 100 rnd twin-drum Beta Mag spitting 30 grn FMJs @ 2200 fps
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Played around with a bullet design program. Did what I feel would be an optimum bullet. .450" long which is bullet base right at the start of the neck .300" nose with a 4s profile. made from a monolithic metal it shows 26.6gr a cup and core bullet would end up around 35gr unless one left the nose empty like a lapua scenar

Enjoy
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hey man, hiccup w/ the 30 grainers.  Lucky Gunner needs a copy of yer ID.  Will get you an order # when I get to a real computer, just got back to the Great State of Texas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd totally rock an Officer's 1911 w/ a red dot and a long bbl sticking out as long as I can figger how to get it into a SUB-2000 or a Fold AR.
View Quote
How about a lightweight polymer framed 9mm Commander Never mind. Found the Officers model further down the page.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Played around with a bullet design program. Did what I feel would be an optimum bullet. .450" long which is bullet base right at the start of the neck .300" nose with a 4s profile. made from a monolithic metal it shows 26.6gr a cup and core bullet would end up around 35gr unless one left the nose empty like a lapua scenar
https://i.imgur.com/RBS0UKR.jpg
Enjoy
View Quote
V-MAXs were too long for the magazine of my .22 Hornet.  I pulled the polymer ballistic tips which reduced the bullets length. There was no difference in accuracy with or without the polymer tips. These are probably not the bullets you're looking for for this project but they could be a fun branch experiment and broaden the Mambas applications.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
ok i'm so upset with myself!!!! just powered up the chrono and went to log my data and I pressed the wrong button and deleted everything. :faint:

I do remember some of the velocities. 5.2gr were in the mid 2000's, 5.4gr was upper 2200's with one that read 2400 on the nose then things nose bombed.

Here's a quick measurement rundown. Fresh resized brass measures .373", 4.5gr measured .3745, 5gr measured .3745-.375, 5.2gr .3755, 5.4gr .3755 now all of these plunk in and out of the barrel without issue.

Now is where things changed 5.6gr had erratic velocities from 1700-2100 cases took effort to remove from the chamber and will not drop back into the barrel. case expansion was .377" and weirdly 2/3's of the body of the case has this measurement but the web is still .3755". I shot 1 5.8gr which was 2108 ft/sec and it got stuck in the barrel. I didn't want to damage the extractor so I waited till I got home and used a vice grip to get it out. body diameter was .3775" and web .376" now an intersting thing about this case is it had a deeper firing pin indent and it looked as it walked to the edge of the primer as if it maybe was trying to tilt the barrel down during the hit?

The primers on all but the 1 mentioned looked the same and they have less primer flow than factory 9mm ammo, likely due to the rifle primer thickness?

All of the loads were starting to cycle the slide with the factory spring.

Looks like I need to go a touch slower on the powder or concentrate on the 5.2-5.4gr load.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#48]
After plotting Quickloads prediction against my velocities I seen an interesting correlation. My velocities were posting rougly .4-.6gr faster velocities (ie. the 4.5gr load tracks with the 4.9gr estimation, the 5gr with 5.4gr and it ramps up from there) I'm wondering if the small rifle primer was boosting pressures by ~5k psi compared to QL's prediction.

It makes almost perfect sense when plotted. Here's what 5.4gr +.6gr looks like in QL 6.04gr 2259 ft/sec 385ft/lbs 52337 ft/sec which is right in line with what speeds I was seeing. and the loads after that were likely getting toasty and why things went erratic!

Maybe I should try magnum pistol primers? or slower powders?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#49]
It's a rifle load.  Why not try shorter bbls?

I'm hoping you get to a carry load that upsets in flesh and makes the temporary cavity permanent, for less than 5.7x28mm, and runs out of stock 9x19mm magazines.  If we could run it out of a Glock 19 or shorter, that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m thinking the adder in a Glock 43x or 48 with the shield arms 15rd mags.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top