Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2017 1:56:01 PM EDT
Have been doing some experimentation/ remedial type stuff with my grip and stance in dry fire. 

First, I'm focusing on gripping harder.  Much harder.  My wrists and hands are sore after dry fire now. Apart from simply gripping with more force, I've changed the mechanics/technique.  My support hand sits further back on the grip panel to the extent that the heel of my support hand palm catches the area where the back edge of the grip panel and the backstrap join.  This gets more hand on the gun and improves leverage against recoil.  I have found that I can create a pinching action from frontstrap/trigger guard to backstrap this way which really locks in the gun.  My wrist cams over just a few more degrees than previously.  Simultaneously I apply inward pressure from the meaty part of my thumbs laterally onto the grip panels.  My support thumb presses hard both inward and down into the frame where the locking block and trigger pins are located.  This seems to give me 360° pressure over the grip while maintaining neutrality.   

The advantage so far has allowed my support hand to do more of the work of controlling the recoil and driving the gun and freeing the strong hand to focus on the work of trigger control.  Leverage on the trigger is improved because the strong hand has rotated forward around the grip.  I have less trigger finger riding the frame and thus it is more independent to move freely and finish the press in a more perpendicular fashion relative to the frame.  Less "hooking" around the trigger shoe.  

The other advantage is improved neutrality in target transitions.  The gun feels more equally distributed in the hands and the bore angle feels more centered, for lack of a better description.  It seems to improve index and eliminate some inexplicable "sight drift" that was occurring when I transitioned to a new target.   

As far as stance, I have been working on being more upright from a static stance, particularly in keeping my head up and shoulders back.  I have focused on the sensation of keeping all the tension in the hands and being relaxed in the shoulders.  I noticed I was developing a slump with head down and shoulders turtling toward the targets, which reduced my peripheral vision and hindered transitions.  My knees are still bent but my torso and head are far more upright now.   

I need live fire confirmation and then reps in dry fire to make it stick, but I think it will be a positive technical change. 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Too esoteric? 
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too esoteric? 
View Quote
Probably the wall of text and no pictures

Joking aside, I've found that improving my grip technique has been more helpful to shooting than almost everything else. I feel like my trigger control is fine and I can get good hits, but only when my grip is consistent.

So I've been constantly tweaking my grip over the years as well. I already have a damn strong grip, I can close a captains of crush #2 cold with either hand 5-6 times or more no problem. Can almost close the #2.5.

However, more recently for me, I found that applying inward pressure by rotating my wrists slightly, vastly improved my grip consistency. This way I keep fine dexterity in my trigger finger, but still have a very firm grip for recoil control.  

I always find it annoying most manufacturers don't put any texturing higher on the grip. That's where i need it most because of how my hands are shaped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top