Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2017 11:49:21 PM EDT
I live in CA, and we're not allowed to have threaded pistol barrels because they are considered assault weapons. Don't worry, I already know how dumb it is.

I want to make a Roland Special. i'm going to go with the KKM barrel and comp. I don't plan on switching pistol barrels or comps, so that's not a concern. My question is:

Is there a downside to having the comp pinned and welded on? I'm not seeing a real big issue, but i'm wondering if there is something I'm overlooking. Any help/thoughts are appreciated
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess the only down side is it's permanent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Never being able to remove the barrel from the slide?????
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Other than the obvious of being unable to remove the barrel from the slide, you also can never change the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless it is going on a 1911 your barrel will become a permanent resident of the slide
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than the obvious of being unable to remove the barrel from the slide, you also can never change the front sight.
View Quote
Make dang sure you're happy with the front sight BEFORE you install that KKM permanently in other words... it'll be staying on there unless you cut a dovetail in the front of the slide (not sure if there is enough meat there to do so).
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend a Gen 3 17 C - it accomplishes the reduced recoil of a compensator with the ease of normal take down and cleaning.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't do it. Never being able to fully disassemble or change front sight would drive me nuts.

Option 2:  Find a free state to move to?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a Gen 4, use the Strike Industries comp?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess the only down side is it's permanent.
View Quote
Not true.

I changed muzzle devices on my 14.5 twice.

The is no requirement that the pin be fused, only that it is there, and covered with a spot weld.

That weld can be drilled out, and the pin removed. Yes it takes a little work. But if you own a press and a mig welder, it's a pretty short job.

Edit.

That moment when you realize you're in the Glock forum

I'll be leaving now. Sorry for the loose post.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Ya, I don't anticipate changing the front sight once I get it all together.

Moving to a free state is a no go as of right now. Also, speaking of not living in a free state, we can only have up to a gen 3 Glock. So gen 4 is also a no go.

The 17C is an intriguing idea. Haven't thought about that one before

If I don't mind having it essentially becoming permanently attached to the slide, is there anything I can't really do beside changing the front sight? Would I need to take the comp off for cleaning?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Saw this before. Not sure how I feel about it, but it has crossed my mind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top