Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2017 10:35:49 PM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a Glock 43, primarily for pocket carry.

I'm not really familiar with how Glock does "generations". With the Gen5 19 and 17, is it reasonable to expect a Gen5 43 in the near future, and if so would it actually be worth waiting for?

Do the guns normally come with one or two mags?

Do larger (7+) round mags exist that are reliable?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a glock fanboy.  I don't care much for the 43.  It's too big for me to pocket carry and in my opinion too small for belt carry.  For pocket carry, I'd look at the 42 if you want to stay with glock or a Ruger lcp2.

Not sure about a gen 5 43 release.

They come with 2 mags.  1 normal size and 1 with a pinky extension.  The pinky extension mag is still only 6 rounds.

For more capacity,  there is magguts,  and pierce +1, and a few others.

ETS makes larger capacity mags for the 43.   Not sure how good they are.  Early reports  say they are pretty good.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my G43 but I hear it's not as good at pocket carry as the G42. It's rather big unless you are wearing cargo pants (and then why not carry a G19).

For IWB if you REALLY are restricted with what to wear at work it is more concealable than a G19.

I would definitely take 9mm over .380 if possible, but I can see .380 being the right choice for many.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The G43 is a weird size as stated above.  For IWB I prefer a 26/19, and for pocket I would prefer a 42.

As for the generation question the Gen5s internals were actually based off the changes introduced with the 42/43, and if you notice the slide is not marked with a generation.  It is highly unlikely that any changes will be made to the 42/43 in the near future, if ever...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Glock pistols a lot,  but I prefer the shield in 9mm over the G43.

its just weird size

and I bought two of the damn things before I figured out I really dont like them.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the 43, I think it's the perfect IWB pistol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for the generation question the Gen5s internals were actually based off the changes introduced with the 42/43, and if you notice the slide is not marked with a generation.  It is highly unlikely that any changes will be made to the 42/43 in the near future, if ever...
View Quote
What he said.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my G43 and carry it IWB. If you pocket carry folks will be wondering if you're happy to see them ....

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Sadly pocket is the way I need to go, and I really don't want to go smaller than 9mm.

This is going to get used primarily hiking/camping/backpacking in central Texas. With a 45lb backpack (15 pounds of water...), IWB just doesn't work, and I'm close enough to Austin/Houston/San Antonio that open carry is just going to get all the liberal hippies pooping bricks and calling park rangers...and the TX State Park rules ban open carry (which conflicts with state law and I don't want to be a test case)...and hogs. Planning to primarily use Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo (147gr +P Hardcast for 9mm), which isn't available in 380ACP so that eliminates the G42.

I've also been "tackled" from behind by coworkers, so it would be awkard to explain why the software engineer who tackled me broke a rib on the grip of a handgun.

In the past I've carried an M&P9c, but I find myself being too lazy to carry something that bulky and uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I've pocket carried my G43 in khaki slacks using a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster (the one with the square removable flap). It's a little big, but the flap makes it look like a large wallet. For hiking / outdoor activities, I wear Kuhl pants, and it works fine in those too. I don't think the pistol is too large, but in their Nemesis holster without the flap, the grip does print a bit. I prefer IWB, but if I had to pocket carry, as you describe your situation around Austin, I'd give it a shot. Just make sure the pocket has a wide enough opening that it doesn't interfere with drawing the pistol, since the flap on the Super Fly does complicate things a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my 43 - dont listen to these other guys. It is probably my second favorite glock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Just do it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both the 42 and 43.  I don't consider either as a pocket gun, unless you have large pants pockets.  If you want a pocket sized 9mm, I would recommend the Kimber Solo - maybe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I love my 43 - dont listen to these other guys. It is probably my second favorite glock.
View Quote
That's a good point that I should have mentioned. The G43 has really renewed my interest in Glocks after a decade of preferring my USPc. I love having a slim, subcompact 9mm that matches the feel, operation, and maintenance of my full size pistols. While I should carry a larger pistol whenever it's practical, the G43 is so comfortable to carry IWB in just about any clothing that I find myself gravitating to it more and more.

The Shield is a great choice too, although just slightly larger. I think people trying to decide between the two just need to pick whichever one best fits their hands and is more comfortable to shoot. For me, that was the G43.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I snagged a 43 used awhile back.  I have large hands so it is harder for me to grip but I have mag extensions from Pearce +1 and TangoDown +2 both work great and both feed reliably.  I did add to my a TLR-6 which gives the 43 just enough weight at the muzzle to really shoot it much quicker and give me a light.  I like my G43 I use it when I cannot carry my G19 and when I bike ride.  The only reason I do not carry my PPS over the G43 is I can get a light attached and find a holster for the G43 and the TLR-6.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Look for a G43 Talo edition... Comes with decent sights like God intended.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sadly pocket is the way I need to go, and I really don't want to go smaller than 9mm.

This is going to get used primarily hiking/camping/backpacking in central Texas. With a 45lb backpack (15 pounds of water...), IWB just doesn't work, and I'm close enough to Austin/Houston/San Antonio that open carry is just going to get all the liberal hippies pooping bricks and calling park rangers...and the TX State Park rules ban open carry (which conflicts with state law and I don't want to be a test case)...and hogs. Planning to primarily use Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo (147gr +P Hardcast for 9mm), which isn't available in 380ACP so that eliminates the G42.

I've also been "tackled" from behind by coworkers, so it would be awkard to explain why the software engineer who tackled me broke a rib on the grip of a handgun.

In the past I've carried an M&P9c, but I find myself being too lazy to carry something that bulky and uncomfortable.
View Quote

I just got a Hill People Gear Recon kit bag for carrying while doing outdoor activities with a backpack on. Might want to look into that. I can now carry my Glock 20 on the trail reasonable comfortably and easily accessible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I got this exact one for my mom.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I went from a shield to a 43 IWB carry and am so happy I did. The 43 just disappears under a light t-shirt. For colder months I carry my g23.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you carried a 26? I have carried an XDS which is the same size as the 43 and found no difference in concealment while in an IWB holster compared to the double stack 26. The extra 1/4 inch in thickness makes no difference on the hip in an IWB holster.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
While picking up a new LE6920 from a local shop I held the G43 for the first time and I was impressed. Note that I wasn't interested in anything else from Glock since I'm still satisfied with my Gen 3 17 and PPQ. The reason I was impressed with the G43 is the fact that it's a sub-compact but still felt battle pistol worthy in my huge hands.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I think I may be in love...

I've been using AmeriGlo ProGlo front sights with Warren Tactical (blacked out) rears...almost exactly that same sight picture.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think I may be in love...

I've been using AmeriGlo ProGlo front sights with Warren Tactical (blacked out) rears...almost exactly that same sight picture.
View Quote
It is a nice setup and I was able to get it for $25 more than a stock plastic sight G43 for my mom.  For mine I put Heinie Ledge Pro sights on it the two dot is my personal favorite.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I pocket carry my glock in dress pants all the time. Using the desantis holster.. Its a little big but definitely manageable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Lots of people dislike the 42/43.  Be sure to shoot one first.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a Glock fan. I'm on my second Glock 43. I've had other small 9's like the LC9s, CM9. I sold my first 43 and went to the CM9 because it's smaller. Then I traded the CM9 and got a 43 again. I like the idea of the 43 but in reality for me its a weird size, as others have mentioned. If I'm going to carry IWB I would rather have use the 26 and the 43 is too big for pocket carry. I have ordered an LCP 2 for pocket carry and will probably trade the 43 away again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry G43 IWB and pocket (it is a little large for pocket carry IMO, but it works for me if pants have deep pockets). IWB, the G43 is hardly noticeable to me (Cooks IWB kydex holster) and concealment is no problem.  Since you said pocket carry is your primary need, I would explore smaller-framed options unless you wear baggy, large-pocketed pants.  The G43 fits my hands best with the standard flush mags. A great CCW.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
I put Ameriglo Spartans on and Talon grips and carry mine all the time.
Great little carry gun!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry a 43 daily in my pocket.   I have an iwb holster that I've never bothered to use because pocket is so convenient.

Jeans, slacks, shorts.   No issues
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Does the AmeriGlo TALOS version have the same finish as the normal version?

On GalleryOfGuns, I'm seeing a "normal" and "US" version. Is that a different manufacturing location? If so, is there any differences between the actual guns?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The G43 basically is a gen 5.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I have carried a g43 for a bit now.  I've had 2 versions the original and the talk I picked up in a trade (just upgraded sights as referenced above). I pocket carry it 90% of the time and when it don't it's IWB.   Having messed with or carried most single and double stack compacts over the last nine years, the g43 is where I will stay.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#32]
This is the one you want . $474.00 at Tombstone Tactical . 16 in stock right now .
Also at Buds but 20 bucks more .
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I carry a 43 daily in my pocket.   I have an iwb holster that I've never bothered to use because pocket is so convenient.

Jeans, slacks, shorts.   No issues
View Quote
Same here. It's a perfect pocket gun unless you wear skinny jeans or you are under 5'4" 110lbs. While the 42 is much easier to carry, (so is my Beretta .25) but the 43 will give you a "real" handgun.

BTW, I'm 5'10" 190lbs as a reference. It depends on your size, hand size, and how you dress. I used to pocket carry a G26, which was kinda pushing the limit but still much better that ankle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's a good point that I should have mentioned. The G43 has really renewed my interest in Glocks after a decade of preferring my USPc. I love having a slim, subcompact 9mm that matches the feel, operation, and maintenance of my full size pistols. While I should carry a larger pistol whenever it's practical, the G43 is so comfortable to carry IWB in just about any clothing that I find myself gravitating to it more and more.

The Shield is a great choice too, although just slightly larger. I think people trying to decide between the two just need to pick whichever one best fits their hands and is more comfortable to shoot. For me, that was the G43.
View Quote
My carry gun has Tango down/vickers +2s, so I am carrying 9 rds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
That is the one I have. The u-notch is great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Any issues with rust?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any issues with rust?
View Quote
None so far...can't say that about the shield that I replaced with the g43.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry my 43 IWB with a $5 Uncle Mike's nylon holster. I go from a -8F freezer to a 40F dock to 90F outside four days a week. It's been a year with no rust.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any issues with rust?
View Quote
None.  And I do a fair amount of sweating on it while running.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The G43 basically is a gen 5.
View Quote
Some have called it a gen 4.5. There are some parts that are specific to the 43 but the way the parts are made and the type of springs used is gen 5 tech all the way.

Personally I prefer gen 3 or older and don't like the gen 4s or 5s each for different reasons. That being said the 43 has its place.

I carry my 43 in a Don Hume 001 pocket holster and another good one to look at is the Galco Pro 800b. For me the 43 is the perfect pocket pistol. It's got adequate stopping power with reasonable for size capacity.

Now if Glock would make a 9 or 10 round magazine as a backup to enhance the package.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any issues with rust?
View Quote
None so far. I carried mine while sloshing around duing Harvey.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Rust is from neglect plain and simple . At the end of the day from carrying and or shooting just give it a good wiping down before putting it away .
An extra 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Rust is from neglect plain and simple . At the end of the day from carrying and or shooting just give it a good wiping down before putting it away .
An extra 15 seconds.
View Quote
Tell that the the Shield mag release.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does the AmeriGlo TALOS version have the same finish as the normal version?

On GalleryOfGuns, I'm seeing a "normal" and "US" version. Is that a different manufacturing location? If so, is there any differences between the actual guns?
View Quote
Very astute question.  When doing research prior to purchase of mine, discovered there are two different versions of Talo 43s, one is made in USA and the other Austria. 

Part numbers
  • UI4350501 -- USA
  • PI4350501 -- Austria
Went with the Austrian version because Glock all things.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone had any failure or breakage with their 43? I have several and all are going strong. But eventually, something will break on any gun, especially a small, light gun that gets shot a lot.

Just wondering if there is a weak point in the 43 design...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got various 9mm models and the 43 is my favorite ccw.

With a vickers +2 it's an awesome iwb gun. That said I wouldn't use it for pocket carry and would get a G42 over it or a lcp variant.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Very astute question.  When doing research prior to purchase of mine, discovered there are two different versions of Talo 43s, one is made in USA and the other Austria. 

Part numbers
  • UI4350501 -- USA
  • PI4350501 -- Austria
Went with the Austrian version because Glock all things.
View Quote
I have the USA version and it appears to have some rust on the muzzle. I would think the finish on the Austrian gun is better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I went from a shield to a 43 IWB carry and am so happy I did. The 43 just disappears under a light t-shirt. For colder months I carry my g23.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This. It disappears under a thin tshirt (Vegas, 95% of the time) AIWB
I might grab a 26 eventually and see how I like that, but for now the 43 does it's job.

Quoted:
I like Glock pistols a lot,  but I prefer the shield in 9mm over the G43.

its just weird size

and I bought two of the damn things before I figured out I really dont like them.  
Exact opposite. I got the shield to be my primary carry, price was too good to pass up. I was shooting 6-10MOA at 7yards.
Enter the g43. Shoot ragged holes at 15yard. The shield just didn't fit my hands well. The 43 does.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any issues with rust?
View Quote
Mine has a speck on the muzzle i just noticed. I dont care - the gun is still great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Mine has a speck on the muzzle i just noticed. I dont care - the gun is still great.
View Quote
Is yours US or Austian made?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top