Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 1:04:15 AM EDT
How long will it take for glock to produce other models and calibers in the gen 5? I personally would love to see a 20SF in gen 5.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt they'll produce them in other calibers. The 3 pin system came about because .40 was cracking locking blocks on the 2 pin guns. Other models I have no idea, but I'd love to see a gen5 19/17/34 MOS be released. Also I'd buy a G43 MOS if that came out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt they'll produce them in other calibers. The 3 pin system came about because .40 was cracking locking blocks on the 2 pin guns. Other models I have no idea, but I'd love to see a gen5 19/17/34 MOS be released. Also I'd buy a G43 MOS if that came out.
View Quote
Everyone keeps saying this but fail to realize that the locking block was redesigned with the Gen5, and the MHS submission in .40 S&W was a 2-pin design just like the Gen5.  It is likely that the redesign negated the need for the 3rd pin in .40

Only time will tell, but I find it asinine to think that Glock would release a whole generation in one single chambering, since that would leave them out of many large LEO contracts for .40 caliber guns.  I could see them doing away with .357 SIG and .45 GAP, but not .40

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Gen 5 G19 MOS would be intriguing...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully 10mm because calibers other than 9 and 10mm are a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm holding out for this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Everyone keeps saying this but fail to realize that the locking block was redesigned with the Gen5, and the MHS submission in .40 S&W was a 2-pin design just like the Gen5.  It is likely that the redesign negated the need for the 3rd pin in .40

Only time will tell, but I find it asinine to think that Glock would release a whole generation in one single chambering, since that would leave them out of many large LEO contracts for .40 caliber guns.  I could see them doing away with .357 SIG and .45 GAP, but not .40

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Glock-MHS-23-Pistol-40-SW-TFB-1-copy.jpg
View Quote
Not a fan of that safety but might be interested in that model.  Glock has already said they may release the MHS model.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like a Glock MHS with a 5" barrel, slim slide like the 41, available in 45ACP and 10mm.

That woud rock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like a Glock MHS with a 5" barrel, slim slide like the 41, available in 45ACP and 10mm.

That woud rock.
View Quote
So you want a 40 / 41...

The civilian MHS release likely will not include the manual safety.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy an MHS if it doesn't have a safety and a Gen5 26 for sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So you want a 40 / 41...

The civilian MHS release likely will not include the manual safety.
View Quote
Maybe a 41 on a frame similar to the one pictured above. Don't care about the safety.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe a 41 on a frame similar to the one pictured above. Don't care about the safety.
View Quote
The frame used on the MHS is nothing more than a G17 frame without the finger grooves.  The 10mm and .45ACP Glock variants require a large frame (20,21,40,41) to remain double stack.

I get what you are saying, but it what you desire was to come to fruition it would be in the form of a Gen5 model 40/41 rather than a MHS variant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I get what you are saying, but it what you desire was to come to fruition it would be in the form of a Gen5 model 40/41 rather than a MHS variant.
View Quote
Right, thats what I would like. And I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask for a MOS version right out of the gate? That sure would make for a nice hunting companion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right, thats what I would like. And I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask for a MOS version right out of the gate? That sure would make for a nice hunting companion.
View Quote
I'm with you...

I won't be purchasing any Gen5 guns until MOS variants are available.  I really wish that MOS had been standard on the Gen5 but that's just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm with you...

I won't be purchasing any Gen5 guns until MOS variants are available.  I really wish that MOS had been standard on the Gen5 but that's just my humble opinion.
View Quote
This is actually what I'm waiting for as well. I know they're pulling a G42/G43 thing here and letting all the early adopters snag up the first Gen5's, then they'll come out with the MOS 17/19 in 6 months or a year and a bunch of those same people will trade or buy the MOS. 

I'm I'm stuck in limbo trying to figure out wether I want a Gen4 MOS 19 or 34, get a Gen 5 17-19 and get it milled, or wait until the Gen5 MOS's come out. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm with you...

View Quote
I'm glad it isn't standard. I don't buy that bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't buy an MOS either.  Optics on a handgun is still a very small market and the durability/reliability of the RMR is still not good enough to bet your life on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the option but am glad it's not standard and don't have to pay for it. I still prefer irons on defense guns.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hopefully 10mm because calibers other than 9 and 10mm are a waste of time.
View Quote
Sort of feel the same way.  

The only reason I'd give .40 any standing is that at least in the past......when 9mm was nowhere to be found, .40 was still available in many cases.  Since the .40 guns fit the same holsters/mag pouches as the 9mm, .40 can potentially provide access to ammo if you can't feed your 9mm guns due to a run on ammo.

But other than that, if we are talking purely by usefulness of each caliber in comparison to other common pistol calibers....I agree 100% (for semi-autos).

I'd expect Glock to come up with a gen5 .40 for police contracts though.  It's a fading caliber, for sure......even if it's demise is slower than 45gap or 357sig.....9mm is still growing in popularity while everything else (besides 10mm due to it's recent resurgence due to usefulness for outdoors/hunting) is either stagnant or fading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy an MOS either.  Optics on a handgun is still a very small market and the durability/reliability of the RMR is still not good enough to bet your life on.
View Quote
They are getting better and the DPP is reportedly tougher. There are units that use them for real world stuff every day.

But they need to be machines in by someone who knows what he's doing to be secure. And if they can move around they will break more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Serious question: who gives a shit? Do you really hold your finger up in the air when buying a gun and base the decision on whether or not it's 'popular'? Morons on the vast majority...do what the minority does and you're almost always doing the smart thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I think a 26.5 would be cool and a 34.5.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Serious question: who gives a shit? Do you really hold your finger up in the air when buying a gun and base the decision on whether or not it's 'popular'? Morons on the vast majority...do what the minority does and you're almost always doing the smart thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think you misunderstood his point. He is saying that because the market is still so small, it is not yet worth it to Glock to make MOS standard from a cost benefit analysis.

As to those pointing out that these guns are two-pin, the locking block in my Gen 5 19 has the slot for the third pin in the top. There is nothing preventing converting the gun to a 3-pin type. Just like the later Gen 2 and early Gen 3 9mm Glocks that had the mold points for the third holes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think a 26.5 would be cool and a 34.5.
View Quote
I was just looking over my Gen 5 slide--would it be possible to move the guts from a Gen5 slide into a Gen4 slide?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think you misunderstood his point. He is saying that because the market is still so small, it is not yet worth it to Glock to make MOS standard from a cost benefit analysis.
View Quote
Doesn't it seem likely that glock already ran that analysis before they released the gen 4 MOS?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How long will it take for glock to produce other models and calibers in the gen 5? I personally would love to see a 20SF in gen 5.
View Quote

I don't think you will ever see any "SF" specific model pistols, it doesn't make sense for Glock to do that anymore. The Gen.4, and now Gen.5 pistols without any of the optional back straps installed is actually an "FS" sized grip. Every Gen.4/5 pistol is actually an "SF", just don't install a back strap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doesn't it seem likely that glock already ran that analysis before they released the gen 4 MOS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Hence why it isn't standard and is instead limited to a relatively small percentage over overall production.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to get in the RDS on a pistol for carry just cannot honestly decide which to go with.  I am honestly waiting for competition to keep heating up and the makers to get more consistent and better.  I think they are close I am leaning toward the new RMR just waiting for more people to review.  I stopped being first adopted after getting burned.  Waited a bit on the Gen4 Glock, waiting on the new iPhone to upgrade, and I will keep following this as I get burned less.

Really liking the new RMRs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want to get in the RDS on a pistol for carry just cannot honestly decide which to go with.  I am honestly waiting for competition to keep heating up and the makers to get more consistent and better.  I think they are close I am leaning toward the new RMR just waiting for more people to review.  I stopped being first adopted after getting burned.  Waited a bit on the Gen4 Glock, waiting on the new iPhone to upgrade, and I will keep following this as I get burned less.

Really liking the new RMRs.
View Quote
I got one of the 1st gen RMR's from Cabelas for the $261 deal.  Hard to beat at that price.

If I were buying now I would be leaning towards the Shield RMS with the propriety MOS plate.  If you have not seen it look it up on YouTube.  It solves all the inherent problems of the MOS system and co-witnesses with standard height sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm with you, but I'm open to the idea.   Ever shot a handgun with an optic on it, it is like taking the training wheels off of a bicycle.  My only issue is daily durability.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I am only speculating but I believe glock is currently producing other models of the gen 5. I tried to order a gen 4 20SF and all the wholesale distributors are currently out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I emailed glock to ask if they where going to release Gen 5 mos and they said no. I also asked if there would be a gen 5 G26 and they also said no. They responded with just a “no sir” on both questions. I was like ugh ok. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I emailed glock to ask if they where going to release Gen 5 mos and they said no. I also asked if there would be a gen 5 G26 and they also said no. They responded with just a “no sir” on both questions. I was like ugh ok. 
View Quote
Wow. Really kind of surprises me that they wouldn't do a G26 in Gen5. Actually, any of the standard 9mms I would think they'd make Gen5s. I assumed G26 and G34 were definites.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were also done with the RTF 2 and fish gills, neither of which I cared for the first time.

Give them time, I doubt they will release any additional Gen 5 versions anytime soon, at least until the new wears off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I’d like a Glock 26 Gen5.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  I don't care what's popular, but I don't want a goofy red dot on my carry pistol and don't want the retarded MOS plate shitting up my slide.  

If RDS equipped handguns were so popular that all Glock made were MOS Gen5s, I wouldn't be owning three Gen5 19s.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No.  I don't care what's popular, but I don't want a goofy red dot on my carry pistol and don't want the retarded MOS plate shitting up my slide.  

If RDS equipped handguns were so popular that all Glock made were MOS Gen5s, I wouldn't be owning three Gen5 19s.
View Quote
"Shitting up my slide?" Do you have a single example of the MOS system causing a failure of some kind or do you just think it doesn't look 'purdy'?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"Shitting up my slide?" Do you have a single example of the MOS system causing a failure of some kind or do you just think it doesn't look 'purdy'?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't buy one because it interferes with rear sights that I typically like to use.

It would be nice to have the option, but I for one won't do it with the dovetail being moved further rear.  If you absolutely WILL run a red dot, not so much an issue.  If you're of the mindset that it should become the "standard", well, no.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't like where it puts the rear sight dovetail and I don't like extra junk bolted to a gun, which is exactly what the MOS is.  

A properly machined installation is the only thing I would consider for an RMR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I won't buy one because it interferes with rear sights that I typically like to use.

It would be nice to have the option, but I for one won't do it with the dovetail being moved further rear.  If you absolutely WILL run a red dot, not so much an issue.  If you're of the mindset that it should become the "standard", well, no.
View Quote
How far back does it move the rear sight? I wasn't aware there was much difference. Does it interfere with certain kinds of aftermarket sights or does it just relocate the rear sight?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How far back does it move the rear sight? I wasn't aware there was much difference. Does it interfere with certain kinds of aftermarket sights or does it just relocate the rear sight?
View Quote
It puts the dovetail at the rear of the slide to where a normal Heinie, Warren, 10-8, Dawson rear sight will hang over the back of the slide and thr front of the sight will be over the MOS plate.  Pure fuckery.

vs

Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I think supressor sights are a good addition to an MOS but after getting used to it I shoot my 19 much better with the red dot than I did without it.  

No issues with carry, I don't see any flicker or have any issues with durability.  In a situation if the dot failed, it's either close enough for point shooting or the suppressor sights are there.  

Dots are a natural evolution and while I own guns that will never have a dot I think they are a huge advantage. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I can see how that would be annoying, but it's safe to say that if block went to an "all mos" product line, the aftermarket would quickly adapt and make every sight you ever wanted in a compatible form factor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#44]
It wasn't long ago people were saying the same thing about battle rifles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Glock-MHS-23-Pistol-40-SW-TFB-1-copy.jpg
View Quote
I would buy this.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It wasn't long ago people were saying the same thing about battle rifles.
View Quote
Big difference between a shoulder mounted gun with a cheek-weld and a handgun.  

The ONLY reason I carry a handgun is for concealed carry and training for that role.  I don't want an optic, don't want the spare parts either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top