Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2017 5:07:46 PM EDT
I dry fire a lot, particularly when I don't have access to a shooting range. Tonight was just like any other night. After a few "rounds" of dryfire practice, my slide locked up. It locked up really bad. I had to really yank the slide to get the action open. Here is what I found when I got the barrel out. I haven't shot this pistol since late June, and noticed no problems during the last firing. I'm too shocked to even be mad yet. 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It looks like the breech face cracked. I've never shot a single round over +p or +p+ through it. My best guess is that I've fired at most 7000 round through it, 3000 of them being in the last six months since I had the RMR installed. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the first. Won't be the last. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not my pic, but google has plenty of hits for Glock breech face cracking. 

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I am surprised you didn't notice the crack starting with your fastidious cleaning habits 

How many dry fires do you have on it?   without snap caps I assume?  I would think in the 5 digits? 

But yes the striker slamming into the back of the breech face unsupported thousands of times would could cause this..... 

Luckily it is a G-Lock  they have a good reputation of fixing or at least replacing at cost...  call em....   
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you will need to contact Glock and get in the mail back to them, and have them replace it..
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you will need to contact Glock and get in the mail back to them, and have them replace it..
View Quote
This Glock will take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I just started my reading on breech face cracks. It looks like this is a not uncommon issue for habitual dry firers. Don't know why I haven't heard of such problems before. 

I guess I should email Glock now. Just hoping I'm not screwed because I had the slide milled for an RMR. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess I should email Glock now. Just hoping I'm not screwed because I had the slide milled for an RMR. 
View Quote
I bet they will only replace it with stock, but will keep my fingers crossed for you. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bet they will only replace it with stock, but will keep my fingers crossed for you. 
View Quote
me too, but I bet you are boned.  When mine broke they replaced the whole gun with a refurb model.  It looked brand new.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am surprised you didn't notice the crack starting with your fastidious cleaning habits 

How many dry fires do you have on it?   without snap caps I assume?  I would think in the 5 digits? 

But yes the striker slamming into the back of the breech face unsupported thousands of times would could cause this..... 

Luckily it is a G-Lock  they have a good reputation of fixing or at least replacing at cost...  call em....   
View Quote
The funny part is I cleaned it last week. I can't even see the crap that's showing up in the photos. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
They might not replace at all with the slide being millded
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Get some snap caps off Amazon or eBay and use for dryfire. They should take care of you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get some snap caps off Amazon or eBay and use for dryfire. They should take care of you.
View Quote
A lesson learned the hard way. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for posting OP I've missed this as well, mental note buy some snap caps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Little bit of JB Weld and it'll be fine...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#15]
So I have to dry fire to disassemble, but dry fire can cause my glock to self destruct?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I have to dry fire to disassemble, but dry fire can cause my glock to self destruct?
View Quote
Not for disassembly but if you constantly dryfire without snap caps your asking for a broken slide.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A lesson learned the hard way. 
View Quote
I obliterated the firing pin retaining roll pin my one of my CZ's dry firing since I have started using snap caps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I obliterated the firing pin retaining roll pin my one of my CZ's dry firing since I have started using snap caps.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I have them in the pistols I dry fire on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you sure that's not just a chunk of carbon that's cracked?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol that slide is toast. It's cracked big time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Impossible to tell; the OP is far too busy to spend 90 seconds cleaning his Glock.  FAR too busy.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Impossible to tell; the OP is far too busy to spend 90 seconds cleaning his Glock.  FAR too busy.  
View Quote
I brushed it with CLP and a tooth brush just for you. 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
never heard of this before
View Quote
Heard it mentioned in an armorers class. There is one PD in the Philippines or somewhere over there  that can't afford ammo so they dry fire (a lot). Glock should take care of that no problem. Sucks though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This happens when dry firing? If this is true then Glock SUCKS big time. Who cares if they make it right it still sucks.

Had my G19 since 1998 and lost interest to keep track of round count, I think it might be over 15k rds. If I had to guess how many times I dry fired it it's probably 2 or 3 times the amount of rds fired and not even an issue in 20 years.

Never used the Snapcaps BS either. I only use Snapcaps for malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This happens when dry firing? If this is true then Glock SUCKS big time. Who cares if they make it right it still sucks.

Had my G19 since 1998 and lost interest to keep track of round count, I think it might be over 15k rds. If I had to guess how many times I dry fired it it's probably 2 or 3 times the amount of rds fired and not even an issue in 20 years.

Never used the Snapcaps BS either. I only use Snapcaps for malfunction drills.
View Quote
Guess you won't be buying any Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Guess you won't be buying any Glocks.
View Quote
I still like them, have quite a few 19s and a 17, but I don't think the newly produced ones are to the same level as the older stuff. My Gocks from the late 90s - mid 2000s are great. My recently aquired 19 and 17 from 2 years ago is not the same.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to see a Bigbore type test done on a new Gen5 to see how they stack up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#30]
IS the gun stock?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IS the gun stock?
View Quote
No, the slide has been milled for an RMR. However, all the slide internals are stock. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No, the slide has been milled for an RMR. However, all the slide internals are stock. 
View Quote
This is an anomaly. We teach dry fire to my agency and all in the state and I've never heard or seen this. Snap caps are not necessary (for the Glock). You will never create the same tortures on the gun by dry fire that you will get with an actual firing of a round of ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is an anomaly. We teach dry fire to my agency and all in the state and I've never heard or seen this. Snap caps are not necessary (for the Glock). You will never create the same tortures on the gun by dry fire that you will get with an actual firing of a round of ammunition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right. It won't cause the same tortures. It will create different stresses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn't call it an anomaly, as there have been quite a few reports of this.  During actual firing the primer prevents the striker from slamming into the back of the breech face, just like a snap cap would.   From the FAQ on Glock's site:  "It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended."  

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wouldn't call it an anomaly, as there have been quite a few reports of this.  During actual firing the primer prevents the striker from slamming into the back of the breech face, just like a snap cap would.   From the FAQ on Glock's site:  "It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended."  
View Quote
How many is quite a few?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I realize your question is probably rhetorical, but Google "Glock breech face" and start counting. It's a known issue.  Sorry, I don't have any exact figures.   I'm an LE armorer as well and always recommend using snap caps in Glocks per their direction.  Plenty of people claim to dry fire often with no issues, but snap caps are cheap insurance, especially if it's your duty or carry.  YMMV

Quoted:

How many is quite a few?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I realize your question is probably rhetorical, but Google "Glock breech face" and start counting. It's a known issue.  Sorry, I don't have any exact figures.   I'm an LE armorer as well and always recommend using snap caps in Glocks per their direction.  Plenty of people claim to dry fire often with no issues, but snap caps are cheap insurance, especially if it's your duty or carry.  YMMV
View Quote
I think it comes down to what ever makes people happy and confident in their gun. Personally and professionally, I think snap caps are un-necessary. Of the armorer courses Ive taken, none of them talk about this failure or recommend snap caps. Out of the millions of guns glock has sold the few examples of this happening is barely a statistic. I think we have to consider that if its man made it can and will fail. I think its good to know about, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of us will never actually see this failure in real life.

I would be curious to find out if the other examples of this failure had modified their gun in anyway (I.E. milling the slide for an RMR).
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Hmm when was the last time you took the Glock armorer course?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hmm when was the last time you took the Glock armorer course?
View Quote
2 years ago, you?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

2 years ago, you?
View Quote
Recently. Just wondering. Less than 2 years ago. When they started to put that out during the course. Must be something new.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Recently. Just wondering. Less than 2 years ago. When they started to put that out during the course. Must be something new.
View Quote
I work for a mid sized agency and we have never seen or heard of this problem. I also work for the state agency that commission's my agency as a basic and advanced instructor. While we don't sit around talking about everything we see as armorers, we do tell each other about trends we see, and things do pop up (last year it was a bad batch of ammo from a reputable company shearing off glock 21 firing pins).

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but when I search glock failures, I see more out of battery detonation's than I do cracked breech faces. I just think this is being blown out of proportion. Is it good to know about, yes. Should everyone run out and buy and use snap caps, I don't think so.

Bottom line, if you can break a glock during normal use, they will repair or replace it, as any good company should. If we looked at the percentage of true catastrophic failures (I say catastrophic because we often find guns with broken parts that still function) vs. how many guns are out there I think we would be more amazed that there are not more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Just curious.....when you use those snap caps for dry fire isn't it a PIA racking the slide to reset? 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just curious.....when you use those snap caps for dry fire isn't it a PIA racking the slide to reset? 
View Quote
I imagine you can pull it back a quarter inch just like you can with no snap caps. I am more than likely buying a new Glock on Tuesday and already ordered snap caps. I might get that dryfire mag thing too. I got to play with one once, seemed to work pretty well. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
No not at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#45]
This has happened to my personal 23, but with live ammo.  I scrubbed a while, put 400 factory rounds down the pipe, so a ring around the breach was not uncommon.  Nylon brush didn't take it off, so a bronze brush, then a stainless one.  Then I examined further, with a dental pick.  Found what you have there, except I also had a hairline Crack to the side opposite the ejection port.  Sent back and they replaced the slide and barrel.  Three different serial numbers for that one.

They might not replace the slide for free, since you modified it.  Crossing my fingers for you.

I always use snap caps.  Cheap insurance to prevent a broken firing pin.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This has happened to my personal 23, but with live ammo.  I scrubbed a while, put 400 factory rounds down the pipe, so a ring around the breach was not uncommon.  Nylon brush didn't take it off, so a bronze brush, then a stainless one.  Then I examined further, with a dental pick.  Found what you have there, except I also had a hairline Crack to the side opposite the ejection port.  Sent back and they replaced the slide and barrel.  Three different serial numbers for that one.

They might not replace the slide for free, since you modified it.  Crossing my fingers for you.

I always use snap caps.  Cheap insurance to prevent a broken firing pin.  Ask me how I know.
View Quote
From one of the armors at Glock who has been helping me with my Glock 43, he says Glocks position on modifications is that as long as it doesn't effect the function of the pistol Glock doesn't care. Almost all the guns they see are modified in some fashion but rarely the modifications are the problem. In this instance yes the OP had the slide cut for an RMR but that shouldn't have any effect on the breech face.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I submitted the online repair request around the time I posted this thread and haven't heard back. I will try and call them today. 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Can someone explain how this happens to the breech face- I'm confused...is it the striker rebounding all willy-nilly at full force (because there was no primer strike taking out most of the velocity) that slaps against the channnel, and that force is directed out laterally across the breech?

I promise I'm not dumb.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#49]
This is concerning.

I don't do a ton of dry fire (prefer live ) but the fact you must dry fire to disassemble and dry fire can cause the slide to crack gives me pause. Owned a half dozen Glocks by the way.

I'll still keep a couple around but may not spend a whole lot of time on them anymore for this and several other reasons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I imagine you can pull it back a quarter inch just like you can with no snap caps. I am more than likely buying a new Glock on Tuesday and already ordered snap caps. I might get that dryfire mag thing too. I got to play with one once, seemed to work pretty well. 
View Quote
Does anyone have time on the DryFire mag?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top