Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2017 3:50:59 PM EDT
I wanna build a nice, stippled frame, cut slide, rmr wearing glock. Where do I start. Is it cheaper to buy a frame and piece it out? I can get a blue label glock otd for 475. Do I want a 19 or a 17? Which one is the preferred platform? Ive owned both and liked both. Who are some companies to look at for having the stippling done, slide cut? I saw a slide design from Loki Tactical that looked nice and it was priced very decent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
just a suggestion... if you plan on shooting in USPSA competition, check out the Carry Optics division before you start modifying the slide and frame...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What octane do you plan on running? How much PSI?

Just kidding. Glock racegun ?

At least start with the 34 or 35. ZEV Fulcrum trigger, KKM barrel, FO sights, magwell, RMR, etc etc. TTI basepad mags.

And it still won't compete with the STI and other 2011s. I sunk a lot into my 34. It's fun and looks cool. But really only a viable option for 3-gun. I would have been able to compete if I kept it stock. Limited or Open....forget about it.

Have fun though!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm about to give up on my G35 limited gun.

Zev tech ultimate and all polished intervals. Damn thing still pulls a long grimy 5.2lbs

All my upgrades still can't make it as effective as a crisp 3lb 2011 edge or DVC.

Glock are basically the AK of pistols and I'm tired of trying to tweak it into something it isn't.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zev tech ultimate and all polished intervals. Damn thing still pulls a long grimy 5.2lbs

All my upgrades still can't make it as effective as a crisp 3lb 2011 edge or DVC.

Glock are basically the AK of pistols and I'm tired of trying to tweak it into something it isn't.
View Quote
I just picked up a used G35 for a back up gun.  It had a Zev Ultimate Fulcrum trigger kit in it.  The Zev was not as good as the DK trigger in my main gun.

Long stacking pull.

My G35 race gun for USPSA has the following:

Zev heavy brass mag well
SJC Frame Weight
DK Trigger Kit
Dawson FO sights.
Stainless full length guide rod w/ 15# recoil spring

That's it.  No fancy slide or stippling.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:...
And it still won't compete with the STI and other 2011s. ...!
View Quote

true words

the Glock is a neat machine, easy and fun to work on

. . . . but it will never be a 2011

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had some slide work done by Loki Tactical and can say their work is nothing short of amazing. Every so often they have some sales on their work but even if you don't get a cheaper price, you will be more than pleased. They initially told me it would be about 6 weeks to get the slide back but I got it back in less than 2 weeks from when I sent it off. Their emails/communication is better than a lot of other bigger companies that do similar work. They keep you informed every step of the way on your pistol-slide work/machining, refinishing, frame work,etc.. Some people will say there is no need to have any special work done on your stuff but that is the fun of being able to do what you want to your stuff. Glocks are great pistols as they are but they can be so much more and many places offer work on them. My pistol is a fun range gun for me and I could use it for ccw but I don't want to lose it if I had to use it in defense of my life. I put a ZEV fulcrum trigger in it and love the feel of it,from the trigger itself to the pull. I also put a Taran Tactical magwell on it and prefer it to other ones I owned. Everyone who has held it says it feels like it gives you a better grip on the gun and I agree. Some people might cringe at paying $70-90.00 for a magwell but a quality magwell is worth the cost, in my opinion. If you get a cheap magwell, it will feel like one. It makes a big difference with it on their.

The only thing I will say is that you may want to wait to see what the hurricane does down here prior to sending anything off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What's this race gun going to be used for?  If you just want something that looks cool to have fun with at the range then have at it.  If it'll be used for competitions then there's better ways to set it up than that.

Quoted:

Zev tech ultimate and all polished intervals. Damn thing still pulls a long grimy 5.2lbs  You're doing something wrong.  I think Zev triggers aren't that great, but it should be a lot better than that and easy to get it down to around 3lbs.

All my upgrades still can't make it as effective as a crisp 3lb 2011 edge or DVC.  Yeah that's never going to happen with a Glock...

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
At this time I'm not looking to join competitions. I want a sexy looking fun range gun. My buddies and I like to do timed drills and I think a tricked out glock would be blast to plink with
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At this time I'm not looking to join competitions. I want a sexy looking fun range gun. My buddies and I like to do timed drills and I think a tricked out glock would be blast to plink with
View Quote
Well you've got that part right. And that's pretty much the purpose mine serves now. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#10]
In my mind the term " race gun" is a USPSA / IPSC open division competition gun

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Alpha, who did your stipple work? That looks really nice. Here is the slide Loki did for me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alpha, who did your stipple work? That looks really nice. Here is the slide Loki did for me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79429/100_3972-302063.JPG
View Quote
Thank you, I actually did it myself with a Radio-Shack soldering iron. It was my 3rd Glock I did and by far the best! You don't want to see the first two, lol.

Nice slide work, I've heard good things about Loki. I was considering Jaeger but will look into them also.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79429/100_3972-302063.JPG
View Quote
Is that the uncle gaspacho? I really like that one. They do some nice patterned stippling too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
It is the Uncle Gaspacho. There are no tool marks and feels very nice with no sharp edges. The slide was from an older G35 I bought but now have a Stormlake  conversion barrel in it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

true words

View Quote
Or a CZ.  I built a "race" Glock years ago for a friend of mine.  Custom tuned trigger pack with the take up and over travel adjusted, super light trigger, lightened slide, he had the frame stippled, and all the goodies.  At the end of the day it did not compare to a custom 1911, 2011, or CZ.  If you want a race gun find a pistol with a metal frame and single action trigger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you are going to mod most everything, I would buy a cheap G22 police trade in, use a conversion barrel if you want 9mm.  Slide mods and stippling will cover any wear.  It would get you in a few hundred $ less to begin with.  Option of shooting two calibers. All the same parts otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since you are going to mod most everything, I would buy a cheap G22 police trade in, use a conversion barrel if you want 9mm.  Slide mods and stippling will cover any wear.  It would get you in a few hundred $ less to begin with.  Option of shooting two calibers. All the same parts otherwise.
View Quote
Guy here at work bought a G22 last year. I know for a fact that he hasnt put more than 200 rounds thru it. Hes gonna sell it to me for 300.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to know why a Glock open gun can't compete with a good 2011?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
have you ever driven a 2011 open gun ?

Glock is a honda accord,  STI is an Indy car

you can supe up a honda accord, but it's never gonna be an indy car.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

have you ever driven a 2011 open gun ?

Glock is a honda accord,  STI is an Indy car

you can supe up a honda accord, but it's never gonna be an indy car.
View Quote
I have not.  I did own an SVI Limited 2011 that was built for Matt Burkett, but have never shot a comped open gun.

I don't really get the car analogy in this instance.  Guys like Vogel and Butler can run a non-open Glock faster than most grandmasters can a 2011 open gun.  But stick Michael Schumacher in an Accord and me in an Indy car and he doesn't have a chance.

I've seen super accurate Glocks and I've seen Glocks shot with .12 splits.  So again I ask, what makes a 2011 so superior to an open Glock?  Does it shoot faster if you're capable?  Is it that much more accurate?  Are reloads and transitions faster? I'm not arguing that a 2011 isn't better than an open Glock...I just want to specifically know why.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

true words

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

true words

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#23]
thought we were talking about Open Division ?

which dominates USPSA Open Division ( aka race guns ) STI / SVI  or glocks ?????

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

true words

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jQb-1j2ryaw/maxresdefault.jpg
Bammmm that just happened.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/USPSA-Shooter-Taran-Butler.jpg

which dominates USPSA Open Division ( aka race guns ) STI / SVI  or glocks ?????

View Quote
This doesn't count.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/USPSA-Shooter-Taran-Butler.jpg

View Quote
Yeah, open Glocks are retarded.  No argument there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
In can be competitive, but that doesn't mean it's as good. They are closer in Limited than open.

Glock mags won't allow the longer bullets. This completely eliminates Supercomp and limits load options in 9 major.

No amount of money can make a Glock trigger a 2011 trigger.

Felt recoil will be slightly more in the lighter gun when shooting major.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In can be competitive, but that doesn't mean it's as good. They are closer in Limited than open.

Glock mags won't allow the longer bullets. This completely eliminates Supercomp and limits load options in 9 major.

No amount of money can make a Glock trigger a 2011 trigger.

Felt recoil will be slightly more in the lighter gun when shooting major.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I will echo what the guys are saying here... You can only go so far with a Glock before you kind of hit a wall and are limited by it being a Glock.  I have yet to see someone competing in Open division with a Glock all I ever see are tricked out CZ based and 2011 pistols.  Honestly now that I think about it I do not think I ever even see polymer frames.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will echo what the guys are saying here... You can only go so far with a Glock before you kind of hit a wall and are limited by it being a Glock.  I have yet to see someone competing in Open division with a Glock all I ever see are tricked out CZ based and 2011 pistols.  Honestly now that I think about it I do not think I ever even see polymer frames.
View Quote
Pretty much this. It really comes to down to trigger, weight, and recoil. You will hit limitations with a Glock, where you really don't on 2011s. Of course Glocks can be made to run smooth and fast, but it's like comparing a BMW to a Ferrari. Open Glocks are like the BMW....nice smooth and fast. But get it on a track with a Ferrari and it just won't keep up.

If you are dead set on building an Open Glock though and want to try to compete in that division, by all means knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He's not looking to compete. He just wants to build a gun for the fun of it
View Quote
Still taking a Glock and making it into a "race gun" is cool but at the end of the day it is a Glock.  Take a CZ and turn it into a race pistol you have a dramatically different pistol.  What we are trying to explain is you will sink 2K+ into a pistol that you really did not change much.  It will still have a Glock trigger it might be lighter but still a Glock trigger.  You can do all the fancy cuts on the slide put in a titanium coated barrel so it is flashy but since Glocks do not have the capability of fitting a bushing you are still limited on the accuracy the pistol can attain.  End of the day it becomes a fancy Glock that you sunk 2K into vs taking that money and getting a pistol that have the capability of being a race gun.

I love Glocks I own 15 of them(more than any other pistol I own) and I think they are cool as Hell and love them.  None of mine are "race pistols" because like stated before it is like buying an ultra reliable car that will get you to point A and B forever and never have a problem and deciding one day I want it to be a race car vs buying a car that is built to take to the track or has the base to modify it into a race car.  Their is a reason certain cars are not setting records at the Nurimburg and other are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

then change the title

" race gun " is a competition gun .  .   . typically a USPSA open division gun

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I personally just shoot whatever I got. For awhile I shot a G21 in USPSA and carried a G20. Then I shot a G34 in production in carried a G17 or a G42 depending on laziness. Then I traded my G34 for an RMR and shot my G17 in carry optics. Now that I destroyed my G17, I'm about to buy either another G17 or a G19 and will probably turn it into a roland special type gun, which will then put me in open class. It doesn't really matter what division I'm shooting, I sure as hell ain't winning. 

I also shoot open in 3-gun just because I like using my suppressor on my SBR. With an Aimpoint PRO, it sure isn't competitive (especially when running an 870 and using a dump pouch to carry shells), but it is fun.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The term "race gun" comes from a weapon that's specialized.  Typically to a type of activity, in this case it's shooting.

So, a type of shooting.  What type of shooting?  Is it fast?  Bullseye target?  Position shooting?

It's pretty simple really.  Determine the requirements to perform optimally in the type of activity you wish to attend.
But you have to determine and voice those requirements first, otherwise the responses will be useless or near-useless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:33:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I built a race gune glock using a glock 22 as the base.
Slide was milled and cerakoted by Dissident Arms.  Stippling was done myself.
Added a heavy magwell with weight, zev fulcrum trigger, carver custom red dot adapter with a doctor red dot, lone wolf threaded barrel with a carver comp.
Spent like $2300.

So what did i learn from all of this?
It looked and sounded cool but at the end of the day its still was a glock and shot like a glock.  It was a complete waste of money and I wouldn't do it again.  

But since this is just a fun range toy, have at it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top