Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 11:49:34 AM EDT
I was reloading an O.E.M. Glock magazine and felt something unusual about the spring. Now about 4 rds. are stuck in the magazine and don't won't to move. I've never any problems with a magazine so I wasn't sure what I should do. I assume I need to disassemble the magazine and see what happened. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like spring-bind

The coils overlaped for some reason.

Also, I had a fully loaded Glock 17 mag pop out durring firing the first round. I download by 1 ever since and no problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have eight or more factory Glock mags which did that.  They are from different production runs.  They cannot be fixed.

A few years back Glock made a major change to their mag design.  Now rounds are loose enough in the mag that they can rattle.  Some shooters don't know better and think that is normal.  Some rounds become so loose that they jam in the mag.    Any mag which allows the rounds to rattle might or might not get worse to the point of failure.  I use 'rattlers' only for practice, NEVER for any serious use.  Also they may start out ok then later develop the rattle.

When filling the mag, lightly shake it and listen after each round is added.  They may rattle at some points but not at others.

The newest production runs of mags which I have don't seem to be doing it but it was so bad for several years that I considered getting rid of all Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your reply's! I've only had the G17 Gen 3 about 2 months and have 4 magazines. This is the first time I've had this problem with any of my Glocks. I disassembled the mag and worked the stuck rds. out. I discovered that somehow I got 18 rds. loaded into the 17 rd. magazine so that may have caused the problem. I'll fire the G17 first chance I get and make sure I don't overload any of the magazines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting. I've been shooting Glocks for close to 30 years and have owned probably a hundred mags...old ones, new ones, tight ones, rattly ones...and have never encountered this. In fact, I have a rattly one loaded with HSTs in my Glock 17 right now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen or heard of that problem either.  

The rounds rattle because they tip down at the bottom of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Not an OEM mag, but it illustrates how much opportunity there is for rounds to move around some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very interesting. I've been shooting Glocks for close to 30 years and have owned probably a hundred mags...old ones, new ones, tight ones, rattly ones...and have never encountered this. In fact, I have a rattly one loaded with HSTs in my Glock 17 right now.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious how OP got 18 in a 17 round mag.  Sometimes new factory mags need to be used a bit before you can even fill them up.  BTW  My first Glock was a gen 1 model 17 over 30 years ago.  I've had a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't explain how I got 18 rds. in the magazine. I was so surprised that I counted them several times to make sure. This was an O.E.M. magazine. When I disassembled the magazine, 4 rds. were stuck very tightly in the magazine. One or two of the rds. where turned off center and really wedged in. I had to pry them out! After I reassembled the magazine I attempted to add 18 rds. just to see if it was possible. And yes, I again added 18 rds. to the same magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top