Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2017 9:40:57 AM EDT
I used to have a Gen4 19. It was the most hated handgun I ever owned, could never get a grip on it that really worked. Sold it, don't regret it. Also had a Gen3 G17 that I hated almost as much. Sold, no regrets.

A week ago on a lark, I try out a Gen4 G17 at a local rental range and this proved to be an entirely different experience than the Gen3 G17. Almost bought one but then noticed the LGS has G34s in stock as well. I was wondering how much better does the 34 shoot?

I'm probably going to end up carrying this gun. Yes I know, get a G19...I'll refer you to my above story. Don't like them, don't want one. I have learned over time that I just dislike compact and subcompact pistols in general. They carry great but don't shoot that great. Basically I'm willing to make whatever changes I have to to my wardrobe in order to IWB a larger gun that I can shoot well.

So, G17 or G34. Which one puts the bigger grin on your face?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The 17.4 is my favorite, it just balances the best for me.  Both are excellent pistols though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd imagine the G34 would be a bear to carry.  Get the 17.4.  The slide cutout on the G34 doesn't lend itself well to carry IMHO either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with the above. Get the 17 if you plan to carry it. The extra length of the 34 can make it challenging to conceal.

I personally have a 34 for range and work use, and a 19 for carry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What! Four replies where everyone agrees? Yes, out of your choices the 17 would be the better carry for the reasons mentioned. I personally would find it cumbersome IWB but if that's your comfort level then go for it! If you were looking for a range gun the 34 is a sweet shooter and would be my pick but for comfortable carry I compromise with the smaller frames that you don't care for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I own a couple 34.4s, a 17.3, a 19.3 and a 19.4. The only perceptible difference for me is the slightly shorter frame on the 19.

If you had a bad experience with a 17 and a 19 and one good experience with a 17, I would suggest you look elsewhere than glocks.

Gen 3 vs 4 should be a very minimal perceptible difference and I think the gen 4 is the worse of the two.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own a couple 34.4s, a 17.3, a 19.3 and a 19.4. The only perceptible difference for me is the slightly shorter frame on the 19.

If you had a bad experience with a 17 and a 19 and one good experience with a 17, I would suggest you look elsewhere than glocks.

Gen 3 vs 4 should be a very minimal perceptible difference and I think the gen 4 is the worse of the two.
View Quote
Slight differences for one can be big differences for another. I'll rent another 17.4 to make sure it wasn't a fluke before buying.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several Glocks and the G17 Gen 3 is definitely my favorite. I added a 3.4# connector and it shoots great!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're going to carry it get a 17.  

I started out shooting a 17 in USPSA then went to 34 and now shoot a modded 35 in Limited.

The 17 is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Opinions differ,

I find that the reduced hump size and more aggressive texture to be much more comfortable on the full-size pistols.  The dual stage RSA and larger magazine release are an added bonus.

I would be perfectly fine if they quit making the Gen3 guns tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Opinions differ,

I find that the reduced hump size and more aggressive texture to be much more comfortable on the full-size pistols.  The dual stage RSA and larger magazine release are an added bonus.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Opinions differ,

Agree completely. I successfully carried earlier gen pistols on duty for some time but gen 4 made all the difference for me when it came to choosing personal pistols. Like OP said, little differences can have big effects especially for those of us right on the edge of grip size.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I find length has very little to do with in concealing a gun. It all comes down to grip size.

I think the 34 is the bees knees and carry a g22 every day at work. I also think a g19 with the trigger guard cut down a bit and the finger bumps removed makes a world of a difference.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I always thought the heavier trigger and the goofy recoil spring was a good reason to stick with Gen3.  

I routinely carry a G34.  Carried IWB it actually carries better than a 19 or 17 as the longer slide doesn't dig into the side of your hip and it acts like a rudder keeping the grip tucked closer.  

If you carry with the grip in the holster, then yeah, it would be harder to conceal than a 17.  

I wish OP could shoot my Gen3 with no finger grooves, no thumb shelves, double undercut, scalloped, stippled.   Entirely different feel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always thought the heavier trigger and the goofy recoil spring was a good reason to stick with Gen3.  

<snip>

I wish OP could shoot my Gen3 with no finger grooves, no thumb shelves, double undercut, scalloped, stippled.   Entirely different feel.
View Quote
I hear people talk about the trigger being different in the Gen3/4, but my issued 17.4 and 26.4 does not feel any different than any of my older Gen3 guns... YMMV

Not sure how a modernized two stage recoil spring with an extended service life over the original is "goofy"

As for the stippled frame, thats a big +1

I have a 17.3 I had worked over by Polymer Refined and it feels amazing in the hand.  Totally different than a factory gun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Really?   A Gen3 and Gen4 have very distinctly different triggers.  

The recoil spring does nothing for a 9mm. It was intended for the 40, but Glock tried to use it in the 9, same as the Gen2 and 3 guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The recoil spring does nothing for a 9mm. It was intended for the 40, but Glock tried to use it in the 9, same as the Gen2 and 3 guns.
View Quote
Thats true,

The 9mm Gen4 variants had to have a reduced power RSA to function reliably, but it does have a longer service life.  IIRC the Gen4 RSA has a roughly double recommended replacement interval over the Gen3 RSA.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I can carry a 35 in a comp tac CTAC as easy as I do my 23.

It's is basically the size of a 1911 govt model. It's a tack driver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't buy anything right now.
Seems like the gen 5 is being released in two weeks.

Then pick the 17
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry a gen3 17rtf2 on duty and shoot a gen4 34 for USPSA.

34 is by far my favorite. When I switch to limited division (undecided if I will go 35 or STI at this point) I will carry the 34 for duty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#19]
17 and 34 are my favorite Glocks. If I could only have one it would be the 34. I carry my 34 daily.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy anything right now.
Seems like the gen 5 is being released in two weeks.

Then pick the 17
View Quote
I'd avoid the gen5 until Glock works out the bugs first.  A few PD's that had them issued also had them recalled already.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The G17 is best Glock.  The G34 is a longer G17 that is more aesthetically pleasing it just looks bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Slight differences for one can be big differences for another. I'll rent another 17.4 to make sure it wasn't a fluke before buying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not a Glock fan until the gen4 came about. Comparing stock guns, the slight differences in the gen4 made a noticeable difference to me.

Nowadays I have shot Glocks so much I can't really tell a difference. I also do grip mods professionally, so I can make any Glock "feel" right to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I say get which ever one floats your boat more. The 17 is awesome. The 34 in my opinion is more awesome and looks cooler to boot. Recently, I went with a G34 (MOS). Just started carrying it not too long ago with an RMR and a Streamlight TLR1 (I don't normally carry a weapon mounted light. But I had a holster already that works for a 34 and generally requires a mounted light. Plus, with light, it's no longer than the 34 slide).

Seems crazy to some to either carry a 34 IWB or OWB(preferred for me). But I've carried a Beretta M9/92 of different flavors for years. CZ75 etc. No biggie to me. Yes, I generally need to dress around it some when I carry. But that's fine to me as well. If I need to go more incognito. I have a G26 or a Beretta Bobcat for those roles.

I would get the 34. Carries just fine. Of course this may depend on where and how you carry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I carried a G34.  No difference between carrying it and a G17. It's the grip height that makes concealing difficult, not the slide length.  I carry a G17 with the frame chopped to G19 size and reshaped like a BHP now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted: with the frame chopped and reshaped like a BHP now.
View Quote
got pic?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the 17 and 26 make a nice combo :)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the 34 and have carried a 34 with an X300 on it off and on for years now.

If I could get it with a G19 grip it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I shot the 17.4 again.  I definitely shot it better than any 9mm I own, and I like the balance.  Don't have a G34 to rent there, but I might try handling one in another LGS before making my decision.  One thing that struck me about the G17 Gen4 was how accurately I could dump a magazine into a fairly small area at 50 feet rapidly.  I could never do that with a G19 or Gen3 G17.

Unfortunately, the only thing I have to trade is a Sig P320, which I doubt anyone wants anymore  I could part with my Beretta M9, which I didn't shoot as well as the 17.  The Beretta is just so damned sexy though, I hate to part with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
got pic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: with the frame chopped and reshaped like a BHP now.
got pic?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Carry an RMR'ed and X300U equipped 34 everyday AIWB.

Doesn't carry any different to me than a 17.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Glock 34 Gen4 is the best gun Glock makes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't get rid of the Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is a damn nice gun.  I owned one.  Only sold it because I already had 2 G17s and I wanted to fund a G20 purchase.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
From a functional standpoint,  hard to argue.

The additional slide material where the recoil spring fits pretty much eliminates the possibility of a crack in that location....which unfortunately as we have seen is one of the spots glock slides can crack.

I prefer the way the 17 shoots though, simply due to the recoil impulse.

I have 3 17's now and only 1 34.

I think I need another 34 to balance that out
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of curiosity are you still using the factory recoil springs?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The additional slide material where the recoil spring fits pretty much eliminates the possibility of a crack in that location....which unfortunately as we have seen is one of the spots glock slides can crack.

View Quote
The longslides do have a clunky feeling recoil, but on a timer my splits are the same but accuracy is better with the longer guns.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen other guys swap RSA weights to mitigate that odd recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Glock just made another batch of 17L's.  Don't overlook those.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.  Factory springs in all of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have two 17's and two 34's and the 17 is my favorite to shoot.  The G34 is just as good as the G17 but I feel the G34 balances better but the G34 looks better than the G17.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've seen other guys swap RSA weights to mitigate that odd recoil impulse.
View Quote
The 34 recoil impulse is the best part! 147gr 9mm out of a Glock 34 is one of my favorite feelings on earth next to shooting full auto, shooting 50 cal, shooting open division guns, shooting suppressed, oh yeah and sex is the other thing but that's easily last on the list.

For real though shooting slow 147gr out of a 34 is beyond fun to run quick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Myself and everybody else I know are using 13 pound springs in their 17's and 34's. Makes a huge difference in the recoil pulse. Much faster to get back on target. The dip the front sight takes when the slide goes back into battery because of being overly sprung is worse than the the recoil or the rise of the front sight caused by the frame coming to an abrupt stop against the frame after extraction.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Myself and everybody else I know are using 13 pound springs in their 17's and 34's. Makes a huge difference in the recoil pulse. Much faster to get back on target. The dip the front sight takes when the slide goes back into battery because of being overly sprung is worse than the the recoil or the rise of the front sight caused by the frame coming to an abrupt stop against the frame after extraction.
View Quote
11# here but I'm only shooting minor PF through it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were shooting hand loads I would too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I prefer the G17. 

The balance shifts a wee bit forward on the G34, but I never noticed a difference in performance. I traded my G34 for an RMR that I had installed on my G17. I have no regrets. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#46]
17C and replace the disconnector with the factory 3.5lb version.  It's my favorite and most accurate gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#47]
G34.4 for the win!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Easy. Get both.

I have both and shoot the 34 the most.

Bishop3
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I've carried and shot them all, been carrying a g35 with 357 barrel in it.  I know the last 34 I had was the best trigger I ever felt in a glock.  Slight take up, nice clean break, and it was very accurate.  I have another one on the way and am putting a micro T1 on there.  Not sure how an extra inch on a gun makes it harder to carry than a g17.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top