BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the cutout on the 19 is that irritating? Wow, that fucking blows. I dont really need another 17, I was hoping this 19 would work out.
View Quote
I've had a Gen2 G23 for over 20 years and have never once felt that cut out while shooting
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I hate to tell you this then - you're gonna hate the Gen5 19.  Just got back myself from handling and shooting one.  

Let me say this - this gun would have been a homerun had they not included the RETARDED semi-circle cut in the grip.  There is absolutely no good reason why they'd want to drag a feature on old guns, onto their new one.  The finish is nicer, the ambi-slide release is godsend for the lefties out there, and isnt' really an issue for righties who don't use it.  The flared magwell is subtle, you barely even notice it.  The trigger is nicer than the stock Gen 3/4.  Hell, even the new orange followers in the mags are an improvement (not that they're different or anything).

That damn semi-circle makes the grip uncomfortable.  If you enjoy getting your pinky pinched on the regular, go for it.

If you're in the market for a 17, definitely go Gen5.  That idiotic moon cut is far enough down that you won't have to worry about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this cut out ruins it I'll revert back to getting a P-01 for the new compact purchase.

I've got lots of glocks
I hate to tell you this then - you're gonna hate the Gen5 19.  Just got back myself from handling and shooting one.  

Let me say this - this gun would have been a homerun had they not included the RETARDED semi-circle cut in the grip.  There is absolutely no good reason why they'd want to drag a feature on old guns, onto their new one.  The finish is nicer, the ambi-slide release is godsend for the lefties out there, and isnt' really an issue for righties who don't use it.  The flared magwell is subtle, you barely even notice it.  The trigger is nicer than the stock Gen 3/4.  Hell, even the new orange followers in the mags are an improvement (not that they're different or anything).

That damn semi-circle makes the grip uncomfortable.  If you enjoy getting your pinky pinched on the regular, go for it.

If you're in the market for a 17, definitely go Gen5.  That idiotic moon cut is far enough down that you won't have to worry about it.
@dirtdivision
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This whole half moon cut is really bumming me out. Hopefully they realize it's retarded and discontinue it on the 19 after a while. I'm not holding my breath however.

Any word on when we might see a gen 5 26? It's on my list...
View Quote
Cutout is a non starter for me. Got a G23 gen2 trying to unload because I hate the cutout.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've had a Gen2 G23 for over 20 years and have never once felt that cut out while shooting
View Quote
Do you have smaller hands?  I have medium sized hands (wear Medium/large gloves depending on make) and my half my pinky is sitting within the cut out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop holding the bottom of the gun and it's not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stop holding the bottom of the gun and it's not a problem.
View Quote
That works on the 17, no so much on the 19.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you have smaller hands?  I have medium sized hands (wear Medium/large gloves depending on make) and my half my pinky is sitting within the cut out.
View Quote
I wear medium gloves.  Yes my pinky lays over the cut out but I don't feel it at all.  and i have pretty soft hands

I just brought out the Gen2 G23 and spent the last 15 min trying to see if I noticed anything uncomfortable and I didn't
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That works on the 17, no so much on the 19.
View Quote
Does the slide cut your hand?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This whole half moon cut is really bumming me out. Hopefully they realize it's retarded and discontinue it on the 19 after a while. I'm not holding my breath however.

Any word on when we might see a gen 5 26? It's on my list...
View Quote
I have no doubt they will remove the cut out at some point.  They dropped it from the line the first time due to complaints about it causing irritations.   Apparently someone at Glock thought it would be a good idea to use the old design to incorporate for removal of stuck magazines per FBI specs.  

In the event I move past the 4th gen guns, it will be a 5th Gen G17, or I'll wait for the mid production change, removing the cut out.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have no doubt they will remove the cut out at some point.  They dropped it from the line the first time due to complaints about it causing irritations.   Apparently someone at Glock thought it would be a good idea to use the old design to incorporate for removal of stuck magazines per FBI specs.  

In the event I move past the 4th gen guns, it will be a 5th Gen G17, or I'll wait for the mid production change, removing the cut out.  

TXPO
View Quote
As soon as the cutout is gone, I'll jump on a 19. Until then, nope! But it seems you either don't mind or else hate the cutout. Range worker where I shot the 17 and 19 today said he heard numerous complaints about the cutout on the 19.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can someone who owns one take a couple of frontstrap pics of the 19 Gen 5 vs a Gen 3 or 4. Maybe while gripped, or can you put a tape measure to show how long the grip is before the top of the cutout?

Thanks.
View Quote
I will apologize in advance for crappy pics, but trying to help. I took a couple pics of a Gen 2 versus a Gen 4. I couldn't find a good way to measure the grip length like you asked unless going from top of slide to top of cutout but my measurements with my calipers weren't consistent. Hopefully these help a little. I don't recall if I modified the profile of the cutout on my Gen 2, but the cutout on the Gen 5 I shot today was definitely much more semicircle.

Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Fired the new Gen 5 Glock 19 today.

Dealer in our area (Frontier Justice), had the new Glock 17 and Glock 19 gen 5s in today.

You were given 10 rds to fire the pistol, Gen 5 Glock Target and a free Glock Gen5 hat.

BLUF-My Gen 3 Glock 19 and Gen 4 Glock 4 both I have stippled and removed finger grooves are not going to be replaced with the Gen5.

The new Gen5 has steel white dot front, u back Glock sights, ambi slide release, "new trigger", new barrel rifling and no fingers grooves, but the "half moon" cut out in the front of the grip is no fun.  

I liked the pistol but the deal breaker as mentioned ealier is the half moon cut out in the front of the grip. My pinky finger pushes right into the void created my the cut out.

The trigger was ok, but I did not feel the big improvement.

Good that Glock finally removed the finger grooves but the Gen 5 is not something I will be buying, just fyi they were selling for $629.99. I checked three times on the price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The local range were charging $665, $710 out the door.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cutout is a non starter for me. Got a G23 gen2 trying to unload because I hate the cutout.
View Quote
Sand down the edge and it will fix that issue. I had the same exact problem.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The local range were charging $665, $710 out the door.  
View Quote
$599 at mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/IMG_2279_JPG-290714.jpg

Don't get too excited. Both were having issues when I'd cycle them manually. Slide stop lever placement, plunger hang ups, etc. I'm not saying it can't work with some tweaking, but it would be past my skill set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being that the 17.5 and 19.5 both use the same locking block now and it is a 19.5 locking block, I bet you the 19.5 slide will fit just fine ok the 17.5 frame, the dust cover will just extend past a bit.

I'm hoping I can finally have my "Glock Commander".
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/IMG_2279_JPG-290714.jpg

Don't get too excited. Both were having issues when I'd cycle them manually. Slide stop lever placement, plunger hang ups, etc. I'm not saying it can't work with some tweaking, but it would be past my skill set.
@goloud

I would think the 19 slide might not be able to travel fully rearward on the 17 frame. What other issues could there be? The slide locks are in different locations front to back?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Whats a fair price, out the door, for the Gen 5?

My local shop is holding one for me on Wedneday, haven't gotten a price yet though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the pics on the cutout, and insight into the cutout. Im still up in the air, but I suspect it will be a non-starter for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My local shop is holding one for me on Wedneday, haven't gotten a price yet though.
View Quote
My lgs is charging $689.00 but whenever comparing prices to other states, it seems WI is on the high side.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw a couple places online doing pre-orders for $559. That would have put me at $579 total after my FFL. I paid $599 plus tax yesterday at my LGS, so $636 out the door for me, but when you buy a gun there they give you 3 months of free range use, so that kind of swayed me. My brother in eastern PA went to a shop near him yesterday and he said they had them for $579 plus tax.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry. I must have I subscribed by accident.

I'll repeat the process and get some pics.

Quoted:

@goloud

I would think the 19 slide might not be able to travel fully rearward on the 17 frame. What other issues could there be? The slide locks are in different locations front to back?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Just got a 19.5 and ran 100 rounds thru it.

It's a keeper.

** I did NOT notice the moon cutout during firing  **

Sights suck but I've got that covered once I get home.

Trigger is nice - reminds me of a oem G34 setup. See no need to change anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent to hear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pics on the cutout, and insight into the cutout. Im still up in the air, but I suspect it will be a non-starter for me.
View Quote
@CFII

Maybe this will help. Medium hands. Ring size is a 10.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Time to get the dremel out

going to do a slight undercut and take off the ambi slide release nub. I find it annoying and I'm right handed.

We shall see how this comes apart here in a little while....
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Time to get the dremel out

going to do a slight undercut and take off the ambi slide release nub. I find it annoying and I'm right handed.

We shall see how this comes apart here in a little while....
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the pics. I really want to understand the thought process at Glock. I do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Am I the first to modify a 19.5?

See ya ambi slide release. Now my trigger finger has the usual comfy spot to rest across

Took it out and cut the nub off. 100% better.

Can't find my sanding drums so the undercut will have to wait on amazon prime.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
i traded all my 19pmags for 17pmags a while back - can someone confirm the Gl9 19 pmags work with this? bought to order a case of 10.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i traded all my 19pmags for 17pmags a while back - can someone confirm the Gl9 19 pmags work with this? bought to order a case of 10.
View Quote
Maybe not helpful, but I have a 17 and the 17 pmags work fine with it. I can't imagine it would be any different for the 19.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
From where? I'm looking to get more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
i traded all my 19pmags for 17pmags a while back - can someone confirm the Gl9 19 pmags work with this?
View Quote
Bob_L posted comparison photos of his Gen 5 G19 with Magpul (and other) mags inserted in it in this thread:

Pearce Grip Enhancer for Glocks with the magwell cutout

They appear to work fine, and he didn't mention any issues.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone who has access to both 17.5 and 19.5 ( @goloud ), can you please post a picture of just the frames from the top looking down at the locking blocks with them lined up with each other?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
brownells unless there is a better deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a 10 pack a year or so ago & it worked out to be 12 something each.....but for the life of me I can't remember where.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had and shot a Gen 2 23 for more than 25 years, and I had to go look @ it to find this cut y'all are whining about.  Never noticed it before.  My hands are big enough to handle .40" S&W in a Glock 23.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#39]
at least for those with larger hands, the flared magwell on the G19 feels funky too, there is a reason the flared portion of a magwell is supposed to start below your grip.

if Glock was that worried about stuck mags, they should have gone back and made the magazine slightly thinner.  I have seen a wide variation in glock mags that do or do not drop free from the same gun.  An all steel mag with a steel mag release would have been awesome but not sure how much that would impact the internal geometry of the magazine and probably required an entire redesign.  

The triggers on the three Gen 5 guns I sampled all felt better than the best Gen 4 trigger I ever handled by a decent margin.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Your serial says bolt face logo.
View All Quotes
that is what sealed the deal.

Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

that is what sealed the deal.

View Quote
what is that wear mark on the right side of the slide already?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I switched to the Gen 4 because it addressed a couple of issues I had with the Gen 3. I'm tempted to try the Gen 5, but I don't really have any complaints about the Gen 4. 
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I switched to the Gen 4 because it addressed a couple of issues I had with the Gen 3. I'm tempted to try the Gen 5, but I don't really have any complaints about the Gen 4. 
View Quote
I'm going to try the Gen 5 out, and then decide between it at the Gen 4 FS model
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm on the fence for a 17. Really like my G19 gen4 FS and here the price is dollars apart but you get much more on the FS.
Gen 5 trigger undercut the same as gen4?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
what is that wear mark on the right side of the slide already?
View Quote
Kydex.

It wiped off
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Someone who has access to both 17.5 and 19.5 ( @goloud ), can you please post a picture of just the frames from the top looking down at the locking blocks with them lined up with each other?

Thanks.
View Quote
I'm curious as well.  I thought the whole point of moving the locking block/lugs/etc on the 17, was to match the 19 so that there could be some interchangeability.  Kinda how I thought the MHS glock worked (17ish frame w/ 19 slide).
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just got a 19.5 and ran 100 rounds thru it.

It's a keeper.

** I did NOT notice the moon cutout during firing  **

Sights suck but I've got that covered once I get home.

Trigger is nice - reminds me of a oem G34 setup. See no need to change anything.
View Quote
Congrats! And glad you don't have the issue with the cutout. I really wish it wasn't an issue for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]
As I spend more time with it, I notice more changes that weren't announced. The barrel doesn't stick out past the end of the slide as far. Not a big deal but noticeable. The stock sights are taller than my stock Gen 4, and the rear has a different profile. It reminds me of the Truglo MOS sights I put on my 19.4 MOS, it's a lot narrower than "normal", and it's marked "6.5" in the rear sight cutout instead of a dash or long line on the right side of the sight. I know a lot of people don't care about the small stuff, but as a Glock fan, I really like the changes they have made, aside from the front strap cutout on the 19, and hope they update more than just the 9mm models.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm kind of surprised some of these haven't turned up in the EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I didn't get to call Glock today anyone figure out yet if you can send in for the new sights they offer?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top