Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
I am going to be getting either a 22 MOS or 17 MOS this summer.  

What should I look at for the optic?  I am willing to spend $ on it and want something duty grade.

Also what about the holster for it?  I will have a TLR-1 light on it and most likely a threaded barrel (just the thread protector, no can, booster, etc).  I would prefer it use the G-Code style RTI mount so it is compatible with my other holsters I already have.  I know they don't have an SOC for it yet though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as holsters go, it seems to be becoming much more common to see "RMR Cut" options.  G-Code seems to offer that on their RTI line... I'm not a G-Code owner or user, but it would appear that you'll have RMR options.  Almost every 'big' custom maker for gear has some sort of Optic Cut option it seems from my almost constant holster shopping.

As far as optics go you have many options.  If you're looking for daily carry / ccw use, I'd personally lean toward the Trijicon RMR options.  Not the cheapest, but the best currently available IMHO.
The Dual-illumination use fiber optics and trijicons nightsight type illumination to put the dot up... it can wash out in bright light, or in bright weapon light illumination, as such wasn't my choice as much as I wanted to love it, I just couldn't.  They also have battery powered, self-adjusting (slightly cheaper) and user-adjustable (slightly more expensive... like 30$ more) with various MOA dot sizes.
I currently own three RMRs and have chosen the user adjustable as it gives more options.  You can set it to 'auto' adjust to ambient light, or it has + and - buttons on either side so you can manually adjust the brightness... those buttons are stiff so don't worry about pushing them inadvertently in the holster.
Battery life on the Trijicon options are measured in years so they stay on all the time.  I have mine on a yearly replacement schedule for peace of mind... I replace and re-zero / check zero all my reddot optic batteries around my birthday to keep things easy.

There are other small pistol red dots out there, Leupolds Delta Point Pro is probably the best of the non-Trijicons currently on the market.. I still strongly prefer Trijicon though.

Depending on the mount / optic, you'll most likely need to swap sights as well.  On my G19 MOS with RMR 06 I went with Dawson MOS Suppressor Height sights.  They co-witness with my RMR 06 red dot and I'm really liking that.   Trijicon Suppressor height sights offer a lower 1/3rd co-witness on a milled slide CZ and Tanfoglio of mine.  Ameri-glo Suppressor sights are supposed to offer a lower 1/3rd cowitness as well.... so factor sight replacement into your budget as stock sights (usually) are too low to be useable.

Be aware that a RMR on a moving slide *CAN* have reliability issues.  Usually they are user solveable and require shimming the battery so that it doesn't move inside the optic resulting in lost power and the 'flickering' dot issue that you hear about most commonly.  Of the three I own and use, only one had any flicker.  I solved it by bending the tab that connects to the negative downward slightly and shimming the battery upward using a small loop of electrical tape from below (I use the tape loop in all three of mine now just as insurance).  I also shimmed out the positive terminal (connects to the side rim edge of the battery) with a tiny piece of rubber band behind the metal contact.  I replace that shim yearly with the battery... it was only necessary on the one of three that flickered so it may have been the culprit..  I've also read that Sony branded batteries are the most consistent in size... they aren't stupid expensive so I've moved to those as well.  Trijicon ship with Energizer batteries and 2 of my 3 ran fine with those, but all 3 of mine are using Sony batteries now without further issues.

I'm not mentioning the flicker issues to trash RMR's or put anyone off em... I carry one daily and love it.  My carry guns for the foreseeable future will have RMR 06's mounted.  I trust mine with helping me protect myself and my family.
It doesn't add much weight (might actually be lighter considering the metal removed from the slide), and it doesn't really add much bulk... so it's no harder to conceal than a bare slide.
I'm sold on the pistol optic concept... I'll be adding RMR's to my pistols as I can and I am certain my carry guns will have them from here on out.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info on the rmr' s.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  

I was looking at the rm08a before I posted.  I plan to have a light on this gun so I will look at the rm06 instead.  Also planned to get the seal kit.

I was already looking at the dosan sights.  What height for lower 1/3 cowitness
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top