Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2017 3:38:04 PM EDT
What's the difference between all these different glock builds? Agency arms, Zev, Salient, Taran?

Just see a lot popping up and I'm not really a glock guy but these builds do look sweet But is the work their doing turning these few hundred dollar glocks to few thousand dollar glocks worth it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's the difference between all these different glock builds? Agency arms, Zev, Salient, Taran?

Just see a lot popping up and I'm not really a glock guy but these builds do look sweet But is the work their doing turning these few hundred dollar glocks to few thousand dollar glocks worth it?
View Quote

Not a Glock guy myself, I just own one, and that was from lack of handgun knowledge and experience. The fact that the Glock is a simple gun to take apart and clean is what really sold me (again, a handgun novice) on it.

But IMO, no. Not in any way, shape, or form.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's just a matter of folks spending their money on the hobbies they enjoy. A $1500/$2000 race-Glock might be worth it to some gun enthusiast. But, heck, you can buy 4 Glocks for $2000:-).

I've learned that most people fortunate enough to have expendable income spend it on whatever they choose to spend it on. To each their own...

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A few trigger springs and the grip work is 99% of the functionality.   That's a couple hours labor and and $15 worth of springs.

The slide cuts, ceracoat, and 'match grade' barrel is the other $1400.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a lot of Zev build and, to me, they are worth it.  Glocks are rock solid firearms, but they are ugly as sin in stock form.  So with a new slide, some customer parts, the gun is even more accurate and looks great.   It's not for everyone, but for those that like customer slides, match grade barrels, and quality frame and part upgrades, it is worth it to us.

It is the same for custom .45 builds.  Nobody wants a stock GI issue .45 to shoot at the range.  But by the time you modify the hell out if it, it can be over $2500 for a top notch handgun.  Same goes for Glocks.  Glocks are like the Honda Civic of firearms.  Low cost, highly modifiable, and very reliable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The RMR alone doubled the 'investment' in my G19 MOS.  It was worth every cent.

It then required suppressor sights to have usable irons... necessary on a carry gun.  Another 100$ into the gun... worthy of the expense without question for me.

The X300 Ultra light makes it not necessary to pay Aziz to follow me around keeping things lit.  Lucky for me i already owned a few.. but still about 250$ more into the build.

The mag well and match barrel weren't necessary,  but they added to the overall value of the pistol for my uses. Have a KKM with comp coming... even more money,  but should make the gun faster on follow-up as it should recoil flatter.

End of the day,  I spent a crazy pile of cash on my G19 MOS even without going aftermarket slide or frame... internals are stock with some light polish.... so no money there.  Stippiling I'll do myself if i decide to do it.

With custom holsters,  umm... I'm probably pushing 2k in it.  Not cheap by any stretch,  but it serves me well so I'm ok with the outlay.
Would i do it again? Yes.

Would i be well served by a G19 with night sites?  Yes.  I'm certainly into the 'diminishing returns ' spectrum but i am happy here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my glocks and I shoot them a lot, range, classes, as a duty firearm etc.

There are some mods I find that do benefit them over their stock configuration. I.e. FRONT cocking serrations.

Other than that, eh. It's a Glock. Not a custom 1911.

Agency, salient and the like make me laugh, because programming a CNC machine to make a glock slide look pretty is not worth the money they charge. No, neither does the pretty stippling which can be done by the end user.

People who pay what they do for these "custom" glocks.....well, all I can say is it's your money. Have at it!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
is the work their doing turning these few hundred dollar glocks to few thousand dollar glocks worth it?
View Quote
Not in any way, shape, or form.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm more of an HK guy and I really dont customize my guns like these glocks and I only ask because I've been wanting to see what all the fuss is about with the RMRs and I came across a Zev build G19 dragonfly (?) with an RMR from a local guy for ~1250. Unfired so I figured maybe I'll try it out and see what all the fuss is about with both Zev and RMR's and it would be a decent suppressor host since it already has high sights. So maybe at $1250 NIB I can maybe see if its worth it because thats about half the price they're going for I believe.

But I just didnt know what the difference between all the different companies doing it. If one was more premier than the other?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It's all whatever you like. There is a cool factor when these companies give all the cool youtubers free packages. A lot has to do with marketing. At the end of the day only thing that will help you become a better shooter is shooting more.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I always enjoyed higher end guns. I appreciated Glocks for what they were but never liked the way they looked or felt.

Then came along the custom Glock craze, I got hooked. I ended up with about $2700 in a 19, have about $2100 in a 17, and working on a 34 now.

Are they "worth" it? Probably not. They feel great in the hand now, they look great, and shoot just as well.

I carry the 17 (Fowler Industries) daily.

I think of a Glock like a Jeep Wrangler. Off the showroom floor they are functional in what they do but boring and uninspiring. Throw some cash at them and they can become badass and amazing. Just like modding vehicles, there are places you avoid.

If you are on Facebook, I'm an Admin on Glock Aftermarket/Mod Perfection. We're all about hacking on some Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The Jeep analogy is a good one.    Both, have long been appreciated as an "ugly but utilitarian" tool.  

Now, both have been adopted into rich man's plaything.  The fad is in full swing now.  I suppose it was inevitable.  

It's not all bad though.  I've shot a few tricked out Glocks, and yeah, they're pretty sweet.     I finally saw what all the hype was about.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally it's my belief that only two things need improvement on factory Glocks.

1. The sights.

2. The trigger.

Everything after that is fluff. The magazine release has been improved on the Gen 4 models.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
It took me a while to warm up to the Glocks. When I shot my first one in the early 90's, I wasn't a fan of the finger grooves and was more of a 1911 guy. After years of 1911's and H&K's, I gave the Glock another chance since I bought a used 17 for a great price.

Got used to having the finger grooves and took it for what it was because the gun just flat out performed. No matter what I threw at it, I never had a single issue that wasn't ammo related. Before this huge explosion of Glock customization, I was in a class with Ben from Boresight Solutions about 10 years ago. He was explaining some of the grip modifications he was doing and it made the gun feel quite a bit better than in stock form so, I ended up getting on a wait list for his grip work.

Only other thing I preferred on the gun were front cocking serrations and that's pretty much where mine are still to this day. I haven't warmed up to the whole RMR thing yet but, I'm also never one to write anything off until I get some meaningful trigger time with it before I decide whether or not it would be of any value for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The only decked out Glock I would buy would be from TTI, SJC, or Carver. If the barrel isn't a gunsmith fit, you're just rolling the dice on any kind of accuracy gains. Same with triggers; a Glock trigger need to be fit to the gun; not a drop in if you want maximum performance. Slide milling beyond sight mounts and cocking serrations is cosmetic. Stippling is a preference thing, but the crock of shit about "accelerator cuts" is laughable. Fancy gold tin coatings are a waste of money beyond appearance sake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Glocks are to the pistol world as the ar-15 is to the rifle/carbine world. Do most average people need a ton of rails,mods,etc., on an ar-15? It is a hobby thing and we all like different things. I have a Glock pistol I put together from a bunch of manufactured parts- ZEV slide and trigger,KKM barrel,TTi mag well,etc.. The trigger makes  a world of difference compared to any factory Glock trigger modification/add on part. Other parts do make a pistol fit the end user better. You can build a nice Glock pistol with all kinds of different branded parts inexpensively by just looking in the EE forums here on our site. Don't knock it until you try it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I think I may give it a go. Just to see what all the fuss is about with the Zevs and an RMR. If I dont like it at least there both on one gun and theres a market for it
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only decked out Glock I would buy would be from TTI, SJC, or Carver. If the barrel isn't a gunsmith fit, you're just rolling the dice on any kind of accuracy gains. Same with triggers; a Glock trigger need to be fit to the gun; not a drop in if you want maximum performance. Slide milling beyond sight mounts and cocking serrations is cosmetic. Stippling is a preference thing, but the crock of shit about "accelerator cuts" is laughable. Fancy gold tin coatings are a waste of money beyond appearance sake.
View Quote
what on earth are accelerator cuts??
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you Google "gas pedal" or "Thumb rest", it's basically the same thing. It where you rest your thumb on the frame and a ledge is cut into it allowing the shooter to apply downward pressure to mitigate recoil. I've never shot a pistol with any type of thumb rest so, I cannot attest to it's effectiveness. It's just not something that ever interested me but, I've seen them spoke about before.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Accelerator cuts, done properly, are great. They do make a significant difference.

It's really easy to tell who talks out of their ass when it comes to these things.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]
All personal preference. I have gotten into customizing my Glocks because I enjoy them and they are easier for me to shoot than rifles with my back injury. Just look at it this way. You can have a basic 1911 or a custom nighthawk or Wilson combat. I view the custom Glocks as works of art that I enjoy shooting. But only you can make the call if it is worth the money to you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I appreciate all the thoughts an advice and I agree with pretty much every comment to some extent. So I may try it out if I can get it at the right price and that way If I dont like it I can sell it and break even or make a little and also can say I've tried it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Accelerator cuts, done properly, are great. They do make a significant difference.

It's really easy to tell who talks out of their ass when it comes to these things.
View Quote
Since we are talking out of our ass, name a couple of premiere shooters with "accelerator cuts" on their Glocks. Butler, Sevigny (in his Glock days), Coley, Eusebio, Vogel, etc. don't use them. People that don't talk out of their ass realize gimmicks won't make you a better shooter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#23]
lets take a $400 gun, make the trigger nice like a 1911, make the slide skinnier/lighter like a 1911, and lets spend $1k more than a les baer goes for to get half the accuracy of a baer. Makes total sense to me :P

that said I have sent M&Ps to get the slide shredded and it was as much desire as anything. I ended up with a $1700 M&P with the RMR and shit. I sold it. I shoot my $1500 Baer better, more accurately, and I personally think it's cooler.

Buddy of mine has done 2 Zev Glocks, and they are nice and the trigger is pretty good. but if I'm spending 2k on a gun it won't be a Glock in any version besides full auto.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Any gun can have a ton of money dumped into it, some people do it for performance some for style. I personally have 3 custom glocks and am working on a 4th and 5th right now. I'm going to send my brand new 40 mos to jagerwerks for $370 of milling and cerakote and maybe a trigger or at least spring kit and some sights. The 42 I have will probably get some front cuts and cerakote from another vendor. It's just something fun to do with my extra money. Some people say your crazy some people appluad you. But like all things you can't make everyone happy.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Since we are talking out of our ass, name a couple of premiere shooters with "accelerator cuts" on their Glocks. Butler, Sevigny (in his Glock days), Coley, Eusebio, Vogel, etc. don't use them. People that don't talk out of their ass realize gimmicks won't make you a better shooter.
View Quote
I'll go out on the limb and say all those great names you mentioned don't belong to you.

They may not offer a significant difference to world-class shooters which I dare say none of us are. To most novice and intermediate shooters which most of us are, I will say they do make a difference in follow-up shots and split times. Timers don't lie.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I customize Glocks for this reason:

A base Glock plain works. I want to start with a platform that's durable and has a solid track record. Unfortunately, ergonomically it's similar to a brick. However, that can be fixed.

I own 3 Glocks. Glock 1 is carried on duty and I can't modify it, so it's my least favorite to shoot, but it works. Glock 2 is a 19 with shaved fingerbumps, double undercut trigger guard, an OP DAT trigger, a SF x300u, and a set of Trij HD's. This gun is a lot more fun to shoot. It fits my hand much better, and it does what I need it to do. The reliability hasn't been compromised in anyway either.

Glock 3 is a Roland Special. It's flat shooting, accurate, concealable, and a true pleasure to shoot.

My overall point being is that people modify Glocks because the base platform is relatively cheap and they're reliable. They're just boring and with some minor mods, you can make them into seriously awesome shooters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll go out on the limb and say all those great names you mentioned don't belong to you.

They may not offer a significant difference to world-class shooters which I dare say none of us are. To most novice and intermediate shooters which most of us are, I will say they do make a difference in follow-up shots and split times. Timers don't lie.
View Quote
Keep telling yourself that dude. Whatever it takes to justify it on your mind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]
They just look cool with all the milling and red and gold bling. Thats all.

Its like the guy that fixes up a Honda Civic. $20k car dump $30k in bling. In the end it is still a Honda Civic. Only a little faster and a lot less reliable. But people love it. Something about being a male with testosterone, makes you do dumb things because its cool.

Guns are the same way. Put out a new color and some vents/milling and people go crazy.

There is a sucker born everyday. Its what makes America great.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Accelerator cuts absolutely do make a difference. Having that ledge to rest your thumb on really enhances recoil control. I wouldn't want to shoot a match without it anymore.

I don't believe in all of this bling stuff people put on their flocks, but all mine have accelerator cuts (except my 43 which doesn't have the meat to do it).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Accelerator cuts absolutely do make a difference. Having that ledge to rest your thumb on really enhances recoil control. I wouldn't want to shoot a match without it anymore.

I don't believe in all of this bling stuff people put on their flocks, but all mine have accelerator cuts (except my 43 which doesn't have the meat to do it).
View Quote
Yes. Yes they do.....

Slide serrations do offer better grip. Most of it is just making it your own. I wouldn't own a Glock if it couldn't have framework done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes they do.....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/17/20170502_193621_zpsynbo36qs.jpg

Slide serrations do offer better grip. Most of it is just making it your own. I wouldn't own a Glock if it couldn't have framework done.
View Quote
That gun is hawt.

And in typical arfcom fashion, this thread has devolved into "stop liking what I don't like".

It's a Glock. There's millions of them and if I want a new unmodified one, 10 minutes and $450 later at my LGS and I have a new one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That gun is hawt.

And in typical arfcom fashion, this thread has devolved into "stop liking what I don't like".

It's a Glock. There's millions of them and if I want a new unmodified one, 10 minutes and $450 later at my LGS and I have a new one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes they do.....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/17/20170502_193621_zpsynbo36qs.jpg

That gun is hawt.

They're addictive. First one I did was this 19. Ended up with about $2700 in it. I cut back a little on my 17 and 34.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess you have to decide if a pretty Glock is worth 13 cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#35]
id get it done by agency or similar just because it looks pretty awesome imo. id keep internals mostly stock except the - connector.

but for that price - ammo ammo ammo ammo ammo
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I spend money on my guns because it's what I enjoy...

I also spend a boat load on training from Gunsite, Awerbuck, EAG, Pannone, Tarani, etc....

Shooting competition and training constantly costs too...

Worth it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Jagerwerks Wolverine?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't mind one.  I want to build one off a timberwolf frame.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Personally it's my belief that only two things need improvement on factory Glocks.

1. The sights.

2. The trigger.

Everything after that is fluff. The magazine release has been improved on the Gen 4 models.
View Quote
I tend to agree. I put an Agency trigger in mine and had Glock install factory night sights on my 19. I also have a light, but that's not really a modification.

I am interested in buying a second slide and having it cut for an RMR, though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Some of it is for the bling factor, but Glocks can use some improvements, like undercuts and groove removal. I was having a hard time loving my Glock till I put the dremel to it (and fixed the BTF).
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm about half done with both of these. The Battlewerx 17 needs to go back to Battlewerx for their front serrations. And the ATEi 19 needs stippling... I think. I'm overly attached to this gun, and I love it like one of my children. So I'm not sure who I'd let carve up the frame.

Long story short, I wouldn't go with the Agency, Zev or TTi when there are so many other options available.

Except for ATEi. My favorite mod... Those front serrations are sharp. Hate press checking without them now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you trying to tell me that this really tames recoil.

It sounds more psychological than actual . If you were shooting 10mm I might think taming recoil is a problem . I went over to the GSSF and looked at the results for a couple of random matches , The master stock times and the unlimited times are very close and often within 2-3  seconds of each other . In most matches the master stock winner would be a top 3 score in unlimited . Also in most matches the same guys will shoot both classes . I am convinced most of the difference is the optic and not the rest of the gun.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Go to 10:19. Jerry doesn't do anything with his thumbs and I hear he's pretty good at recoil control.

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Go to 10:19. Jerry doesn't do anything with his thumbs and I hear he's pretty good at recoil control.
View Quote
Don't try to bring proper shooting technique into a conversation about "accelerator cuts" on $2,000 Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I guess you have to decide if a pretty Glock is worth 13 cases of ammo.
View Quote
Or ending up in some police evidence locker for god knows how long after you smoke check a goblin in a self defense shooting!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's a novel idea, if you don't like something, don't do it.

If a post upsets your delicate nature, move on and don't read it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes. Yes they do.....

View Quote
Thats nice! I like this one....

I do want to drop more coin then I already have on at least one of my glocks... can't decide on the 17 or 19.. or buy another of one or the other and do some work on it!

Does anyone know if those Olympic ceracote barrels are worth it? Guess I should go read the thread!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thats nice! I like this one....

I do want to drop more coin then I already have on at least one of my glocks... can't decide on the 17 or 19.. or buy another of one or the other and do some work on it!

Does anyone know if those Olympic ceracote barrels are worth it? Guess I should go read the thread!
View Quote
I used S3F Solutions on my 19 build which was my first. Used Blacklist on my 17 and 34. If your going to get an aftermarket barrel you might as well get the one you think looks the best. With target ammo you won't see a huge difference. I see a significant difference when using 147 grain.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#50]
It's the equivalent of a 2000 dollar stereo/set of wheels in a 500 dollar car. If you got the money, go for it though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top