Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 11:08:13 AM EDT
When I was working yesterday with my newish first glock, it repeatedly failed as I was transitioning from 1 handed shooting from retention to full extension with 2 hands.
I already know it's that I'm not providing enough resistance for the gun to recoil against to make it function. And since other guns have never behaved the same way I have never learned to do things different than what I already do. Just to see what would happen I grabbed my xd45 and ran through the same drills without misfeeds.
So it's definitely an issue of 1) how I am holding this gun with 2) the way this g19  needs support. Clearly, I need to change something.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]

I already know it's that I'm not providing enough resistance for the gun to recoil against to make it function.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
View Quote

%100 sure your using a light-load (probably got a batch of weak loaded bulk 115 grain)

Glocks hate weak loads, especially when new

It's not your grip, as long as your holding it not-sideways that's not enough (I've tested)

Get some 124gr loads and post back
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

%100 sure your using a light-load (probably got a batch of weak loaded bulk 115 grain)

Glocks hate weak loads, especially when new

It's not your grip, as long as your holding it not-sideways that's not enough (I've tested)

Get some 124gr loads and post back
View Quote
Holy shit! You are correct about the loads.  I'm shooting PPU 115gr. This would be really great news if that's the cause, really really great. You can probably imagine how displeased I am to have purchased a glock to be my permanent carry gun only to find I can't shoot it without it misfeeding.
Thanks.

I have some 124gr as well. I'll try it later today.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a combination of weak ammo, oversprung recoil assembly, and an unrefined/weak grip.

I would work on grip first.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like a combination of weak ammo, oversprung recoil assembly, and an unrefined/weak grip.

View Quote
This.  Or just shoot it two handed a bit get everything worked in and loosened up before you start trying weakened grip.  If you have a Gen4 the RSA is probably still rather tight.  Could not hurt while you watch TV do some dry firing and work the spring and parts together.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
If my grip is part of the problem it needs to be fixed regardless if the problem can be fixed good enough with an ammo change. On april 1 I'll be getting some professional instruction.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
If your palm is on the palm swell and your fingers in the finger groves your pretty much guaranteed not to limp wrist.

Sidenote:

OP if you want to be extra safe against limp wrists you can add a grip plug to the open space behind the magwell...

Brass is the heaviest, aluminum is medium, plastic is lightest.

This adds a counter weight to durring recoil
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured it out The 124gr helped until the mag got close to empty and became light, then it jammed consistently. Then I tried tucking my elbows against my body, and the jambs stopped. I don't have any other guns that jamb like this so I've never paid it much attention.
So my options are learn to shoot this consistently in a way that it won't jamb, or go to something else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
This is very odd

Is this a 2011-2014 gen 4?

Lots of those had oversprung recoil springs

Ive NEVER had that happen (even with very loose one handed grip)

Except with VERY lightly loaded 115s

Even Winchester 115 and American Eagle works fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is very odd

Is this a 2011-2014 gen 4?

Lots of those had oversprung recoil springs

Ive NEVER had that happen (even with very loose one handed grip)

Except with VERY lightly loaded 115s

Even Winchester 115 and American Eagle works fine.
View Quote
It's brand new, I got it at the gun store the other day.  But clearly is an issue of the recoil spring vs weight of the gun or whatever. When the mag ran dry it failed to lock back once.  I went back to the xd45 again and again it ran just fine. The xd is a tactical model, if it wasn't so big I would get rid of the glock at this point and just live with the disadvantages of the .45.

I may start a thread in "Handguns" to see if this is a glock thing, compared to other guns. I really don't like the idea that it will jamb if it isn't held just right, especially when there are other choices.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
What are the numbers on your recoil spring?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are the numbers on your recoil spring?
View Quote
I guess you're talking about the numbers on the back side of the round part. On the left is a 0 on the bottom is a 3, on the right is a 4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top