Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
So currently I have a Glock 17, 26, 43, and an LCP Custom.

The Glock 26 carries nicely and is a dream to shoot for such a small gun. It's heavy and is a chode imo, but this cuts down recoil drastically. For deeper concealment I have my LCP Custom.

Unfortunately I shoot the Glock 43 like crap. I've tried to practice with it and it just doesn't instill confidence. Also for some reason I appear to be shooting low.

I'm pretty decent with shooting double stacks, and even the LCP Custom for some reason.

I'm debating on just selling it and picking up a Glock 19 to complete my family of 9mm double stacks (not counting the Glock 34/17L). I could throw a Hogue grip on the 43, but why not just carry my 26.

Was wondering if anyone went through the same problem that I have. Not sure if I really need the 43 if I have my 26. It was an impulse buy for sure.

Printing isn't a crime in my state either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I found when shooting a micro gun:

-grip it extremely strong, squeeze it hard and don't let it snap back much on recoil

-focus LESS on the sights and MORE on a rock solid grip

Yes, I personally found it's actually more important to grip tight than it is to have perfect sight alignment

Reason is that the recoil while the bullet is still in the barrel is enough to sent the gun bouncing all over... Before it's even left the barrel!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your first shot low or is it after you have fired a few shots? The 43 seems a little snappy to me, so I can see recoil anticipation maybe being an issue?
Afer a few shots with the 43 test yourself for recoil anticipation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I'll get flamed a little for saying this (please spare me the speeches), but the Overwatch flat trigger made a huge difference in my enjoyment of shooting the 43, and my accuracy as well.  I also have a Ghost Edge connector in it.  I did play with the striker safety springs and the striker springs a little, but negative experiences led me to put the OEM springs back in and it's been perfect.  I know it's a lot of $$ to spend, especially on a $400-ish gun, but I felt it made a big difference in my case.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know I'll get flamed a little for saying this
View Quote
Don't know why you think you'll get flamed. If the flat trigger helped you then it's money well spent and passing that info on is a good thing.

For OP, some guns just don't work for certain people. I had a Kahr PM9 which is pretty close to the size of the G43 (G43 a little bigger) and I couldn't hit crap with it. The G43 on the other hand just seems to work for me and I'm actually near as accurate with it as my G19.

Work with it a bit and if it doesn't come around just move on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't know why you think you'll get flamed. If the flat trigger helped you then it's money well spent and passing that info on is a good thing.

For OP, some guns just don't work for certain people. I had a Kahr PM9 which is pretty close to the size of the G43 (G43 a little bigger) and I couldn't hit crap with it. The G43 on the other hand just seems to work for me and I'm actually near as accurate with it as my G19.

Work with it a bit and if it doesn't come around just move on.
View Quote

I sort of had a similar issue with the shield as well. But the full size M&P I had no issues with. Though I thought the heavier shield trigger was the issue.

Also thats a really nice trigger for the G43 mentioned above, but I'd like to keep my carry gun triggers stock. I really don't trust the cook county court system around here. They sure as hell let felons plea out, but law abiding gun owners get rail roaded for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Plenty more guns out there to shoot, if you don't like the 43 then get rid of it.  I gave my dad my black 43, and he ended up giving it back to me because he shot it like crap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also thats a really nice trigger for the G43 mentioned above, but I'd like to keep my carry gun triggers stock. I really don't trust the cook county court system around here. They sure as hell let felons plea out, but law abiding gun owners get rail roaded for some reason.
View Quote

Thanks, and believe me - I get the Cook County thing.  I grew up just south of Midway and am now in Will County. I'd echo the same sentiments on shooting the 43 though - it's never going to be anywhere near as comfortable or as controllable as anything larger, but if you give it time it may grow on you.  It's my least favorite Glock to shoot (I have 17, 19, 30, and 21), but I do shoot it regularly since I carry it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have done a few things to mine to get it how I like.  I undercut the trigger guard, swapped to the newest "-" connector, lighter striker spring, better taller sights(biggest change that helped me), smoothed out the ribbed trigger face and got the hard edges off, and adding a TLR-6 added a little added weight.  Might also consider checking out the tango down vickers mag extension they help grip the pistol better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Had a huge improvement with the $75 OEM bar and flat trigger shoe from Kineti-Tech, just something about that stock trigger shoe sucked for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Improve your grip, get talon grips rubber textured wraps for it. Made a difference for the wife and I.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had a huge improvement with the $75 OEM bar and flat trigger shoe from Kineti-Tech, just something about that stock trigger shoe sucked for me.
View Quote

I is uncomfortable the hard angles/edges on it where sharp and not smooth.  I took 600 grit sand paper smoothed all the edges on the trigger shoe and it feels like a G17 trigger shoe now.  It cost me maybe 15 cents in sand paper.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with a Stiff grip and almost point shoot type of aim.  

I am lucky mine has shot well from the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I is uncomfortable the hard angles/edges on it where sharp and not smooth.  I took 600 grit sand paper smoothed all the edges on the trigger shoe and it feels like a G17 trigger shoe now.  It cost me maybe 15 cents in sand paper.
View Quote

Yeah I tried smoothing it too, for me the OEM shoe feels like it is angular in shape when I squeeze and I would guess that the center ridge may cause consistency issues.  The flat trigger just removes all of that and is a night to day difference for me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Big hands?  I really want a 43, but I may have the same issues.  Mini guns aren't my thing, but the 26 does well for me.  

I had a Sig 228 that seemed like the length of pull was just too short for my hands.  I really had to work to shoot it and could never be as accurate with it as with anything else I owned.  I will have to borrow a 43 and shoot it before deciding if I want to buy one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Modifications on guns in general but especially carry guns are sometimes ok but generally some of this seems to me to be a bit of swimming upstream. Some guns work for some people and not for others. Finding a gun you shoot well is some times the better course of action than tinkering with something that just doesn't work for you to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have found with small pistols don't aim so hard, just point shoot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't care much for the Glock 43, yeah sell it and get the Glock 19, way better carry gun. I did think the S&W Shield was decent though if you really want a single stack 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry the 43 all over the country for work, its the best cc pistol out there in my book. Much nicer to carry than a double stack. I shoot mine as well as its larger brethren. I practice alot but to be honest, i shot well with it from day one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't care much for the Glock 43, yeah sell it and get the Glock 19, way better carry gun. I did think the S&W Shield was decent though if you really want a single stack 9mm.
View Quote

I'm in this camp, I really like the idea of the 43 and Shield (and LCP) but I can't shoot them to the standard I feel I need to.

I know it is me and not a mechanical gun issue, I think the problem is that the grip just doesn't work for me. Strangely enough the 642/442 with "boot grips" does..

What I mean to say is, everyone is different and shoot the gun you do best with, For me, its a G19 MOS with the Vortex/Ameriglo Suppressor setup. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 43 and have much the same issue - shooting very low or low and left so I have been tracking it down.
To repeat what a lot of guys here have already said:
- Grip it so hard that your hands are almost shaking.
- Focus on the grip first and sights second.
- Talon grips will help
- Cover up the target with your front sight.  Even off the bench, my 43 will hit low unless I am covering up the target.  My impact is just about directly on my front sight dot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't get rid of it. You'll regret it. Gun people always do. Worst case, keep it in your center console for a car gun. Hard to miss at face to face distance. Best case, you'll get better at hitting where you want to, and you will still have a small easily concealed handgun. It's hard to beat a small 9mm face to face. IMO
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Regardless of brand loyalty, if you don't shoot it well, get rid of it.

I'd suggest the PPS as an alternative in a similar form factor. IMO they shoot better than the Shield, and the trigger is pretty Glock-like out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the same boat, OP. I have a 19 and 26 that handle the same and I'm consistent with them both. I'm not accurate enough with the 43 to feel that I'm safe to carry it if that makes sense.

I figure I can always buy another if I want a jogging gun. In the meantime, I could put the money toward finishing up my AR build or another handgun purchase.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Same here. I compete with a g34. Also have a 17,26,22 and 20. And I wanted to love the 43! But just couldn't hit crap with it. Well I mean just not as accurate as I prefer to be for ccw. I even shoot my little smith n Wesson bodyguard better and that thing has a super long crappy double action trigger.
   Anyway sold it and bought a 19 because I didn't have one. Turns out it does carry just as nice as my 26! So I carry the 19 most of the time.
  Then I got it in my head I needed a thinner gun for whatever reason. I looked at every single stack I could find and believe it or not out of all the options out there I took a chance on a kahr cw9. Yeah it's a double action type trigger but after a couple hundred rounds I got used to it.  It's accurate and has been reliable with about 400 rds through it of my reloads and 100rds carry ammo.  Carries great and fits my hand perfectly.
   They say they need a 200 re break in before trusting it. I had 1 malfunction in I think the 2nd mag I shot through it. I tried to shoot the full mag as fast as I could and I think I limp wristed it. Haven't had an issue since.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Well just an update, I sold the G43 and did okay on it.

Ended up Buying a PS4 and a Holosun Circle Dot Optic

The G26 and Ruger LCP Custom fill in just fine imo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I wanted to like it.  I love my G19s, and G17s, and plan on getting a G34.  

But when it's time to carry a single-stack 9mm in the summer, it's a Shield.  I shoot it almost as well as my 19s, and it carries like a dream.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#27]
here is my personal experience, gun shoots better to POI with 147gr or +P.  Its harder to be accurate with 147gr or +P.  I found the Sig 125gr non +P to be a good compromise.

put skateboard grip tape on front on grip.

With mag extensions, I seem to shoot left.  Without it I do better.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My g43 is stock and gets great groups and is spot-on...

but only after i maxed my rear sight so far to the right that it's flush with the end of the slide.

I have the whole 9mm collection (other than the 18) and NONE of them are that far off in terms of the stock sights.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My g43 is stock and gets great groups and is spot-on...

but only after i maxed my rear sight so far to the right that it's flush with the end of the slide.

I have the whole 9mm collection (other than the 18) and NONE of them are that far off in terms of the stock sights.
View Quote
have you shot it from a rest?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top