Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 7:37:04 PM EDT
U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the Savannah Port of Entry inspected a container of manifested firearm magazines and discovered 591 cartons of pistol magazines bearing the Glock trademark.The importation of the magazines with the Glock trademark on the packaging was found to be unauthorized and in violation of the registered trademark, said Mark Varga, CBP spokesman.The company was given the opportunity to make alterations. However, alterations were not completed and the shipment was seized for violation of the Glock trademark.The pistol magazines have a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $ 2.1 million.“Counterfeiting is often viewed as a victimless crime. The theft of intellectual property and the trade in counterfeit and pirated goods threatens America’s innovation based economy, the competitiveness of the nation’s businesses, the livelihoods of U.S. workers, and, in some cases, national security and the health and safety of American consumers.” said Lisa Beth Brown, Area Port Director, Savannah. “Seizures like this keep those goods out of the American supply chain—protecting our economy and consumers from potentially harmful products.”http://savannahnow.com/news-crime-courts/2017-02-16/2-million-fake-glock-magazines-seized-savannah-port#
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
not cool
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a lot of mags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Coming to a CTD near you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
makes you wonder if they caught that one how many other ones made it through.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Makes me wonder who is importing these and who they are selling them to.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Group buy?

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Does this mean the police all get a bunch of free mags?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what 70k mags?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what 70k mags?
View Quote

In B4 someone posts a pic of their stash putting that to shame.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
How could one a tell a difference of a crappy Glock Mag from a crappy fake.... FAKE News...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I see their problem: They actually listed them as firearm magazines on the shipping manifest.

They should have listed them as machine parts or something.

I am sure anything manifested with the word "firearm" in it gets scrutiny.

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the Savannah Port of Entry inspected a container of manifested firearm magazines and discovered 591 cartons of pistol magazines bearing the Glock trademark."
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Makes me wonder who is importing these and who they are selling them to.
View Quote

Good question.  Takes someone with a very large storefront to move that many magazines.  Whoever it was, we've probably heard of them.  So I'd be curious who.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmmmmm, coming in at Savannah, GA.

Glock USA is not far away in Smyrna, GA.

Coincidence?

Makes me wonder if Glock or somebody working for Glock was the importer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd buy a few if they're dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Magpuls?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the image...Looks like 45ACP

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks like something besides a .45.  Those only hold what, 13 rounds. I think  I counted 15-16 view holes at least.

ETA: just saw the packaging says .45 ACP... wow. Are those some vector mags then maybe?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I am going to have to check my Glock annual magazine to see if it is counterfeit.

Seriously, I wonder if there is a way to tell these apart from Glock mags. Maybe the importer was banking on Hillary to win to profit big.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Just found these KCI .45 call 26 rounders on a quick search
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks like something besides a .45.  Those only hold what, 13 rounds. I think  I counted 15-16 view holes at least.

ETA: just saw the packaging says .45 ACP... wow. Are those some vector mags then maybe?
View Quote

I counted ten holes on one side, so 20~ round mags
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I counted ten holes on one side, so 20~ round mags
View Quote
Yeah......which is weird since Glock doesn't make that mag (20 round 45) in the first place......did they use Glock's trademark or something to get caught up in counterfeiting?  Because otherwise, they are no different than any other aftermarket mag.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah......which is weird since Glock doesn't make that mag (20 round 45) in the first place......did they use Glock's trademark or something to get caught up in counterfeiting?  Because otherwise, they are no different than any other aftermarket mag.
View Quote

That's exactly what the article states. They used glock's trademark in some unauthorized way which would make it a counterfeit or an IPR violation.

I already forgot usernames.... but I don't believe firearms stuff gets scrutinized more than anything else, it's just easier to target since the importers, exporters, manufacturer, origin, and destination stay very routine. Everybody knows glock stuff should be coming from Austria, not the phillipines for instance. Also, sometimes it's very hard to spot a fake but we have a lot of gun guys in CBP and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody was looking at that shipment wondering when glock started making .45 happy sticks. In any which case, it'd be interesting to know where it was going.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Coming to a CTD near you.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
They're aftermarket Glock magazines. The packaging simply says Gloc magazine. At no point does the packaging try to pass off as a factory Glock product. It even has the store/importer name on it. I thin this is all a fuck up of labeling and nothing more. 
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Oops
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Glock mags come in different packaging as well they do not come in bags like that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
With Glock being in Smyrna and these mags coming into Savannah, I wonder if some local customs guy was good to go at putting the smackdown on these.

Looking out for the home team.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone ever heard of counterfeit Glock mags showing up on the market? Other than those "Asian military" Glock mags on discount websites and at shows, I don't recall any reports of mags like these that were impounded.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#30]
From the pics those are SGM Tactical mags that's made in Korea. Not sure what's the deal, those have been on the market for over 2 years.

http://www.sgmtactical.com/products/magazines/pistol/
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you CAN even use protected IPR on your non licensed product in some  cases, like " phone cases fits Apple Iphone 4" as long as the "fits Iphone 4" part is distinguishing that the part is infact FOR the Iphone not BY Iphone. or "compare to Frosted Flakes"(in special frosted flakes font) on the front of a bag of "funny flakes" with a lion mascot, or store brand ibuprofen that says "compare active ingredient to "Motrin"" on the side.  If the marking for what it is for use with, in this case Glocks, is easily confused that the product is MADE by Glock and not simply FOR a Glock then there is an issue but if the magazine packaging simply said " Model Glock 21, 29 round" then CBP might be over stepping their bounds.  I doubt that they would have had a press conference though unless the case was solidly in the "make CBP look good" category though...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
From the pics those are SGM Tactical mags that's made in Korea. Not sure what's the deal, those have been on the market for over 2 years.

http://www.sgmtactical.com/products/magazines/pistol/
View Quote

I think your right. SGM uses that maroon color and I can see the "m" of SGM on the package. So why were these suddenly "caught"? I also find it hard to believe SGM even sells that many mags. Seems like a small outfit.

ETA. It still doesn't make sense because SGM doesn't make a mag that size and according to this. https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-4879-sgm-tactical-13rd-45-acp-magazine-for-glock-21-pistols.aspx  they are made in America, they say they count towards 922r parts. So maybe they were counterfeit SGM mags?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think your right. SGM uses that maroon color and I can see the "m" of SGM on the package. So why were these suddenly "caught"? I also find it hard to believe SGM even sells that many mags. Seems like a small outfit.

ETA. It still doesn't make sense because SGM doesn't make a mag that size and according to this. https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-4879-sgm-tactical-13rd-45-acp-magazine-for-glock-21-pistols.aspx  they are made in America, they say they count towards 922r parts. So maybe they were counterfeit SGM mags?
View Quote

SGM mags are marked with their branding, no Glock markings.

Since these containers were received at an East Coast port it would seem to reason that these mags are from a manufacturer that is most accessible from the Atlantic, which knocks out China/Korea/SE Asia as the source.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ETA. It still doesn't make sense because SGM doesn't make a mag that size and according to this. https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-4879-sgm-tactical-13rd-45-acp-magazine-for-glock-21-pistols.aspx  they are made in America, they
say they count towards 922r parts. So maybe they were counterfeit SGM mags?
View Quote

They probably put a dumb value of around $50 per "high cap" Glock mag, which would put it at around 40,000 mags. Based upon the thousands wholesalers carry at a given time, it seems within reason. SGM probably paid $200,000 for them.

SGM sells high cap Glock .45 mags. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/sgm-tactical-glock-45-acp-magazine-26-round-polymer-black-sgmt45g26r-7-sgmt45g26r.do

Looks like their packaging.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Since these containers were received at an East Coast port it would seem to reason that these mags are from a manufacturer that is most accessible from the Atlantic, which knocks out China/Korea/SE Asia as the source.
View Quote

SGM is based in Tennessee or Kentucky, so off loading their shipment in Georgia makes perfect sense. AFAIK, the SGM Glock mags are quit a bit cheaper than the Glock brand mag.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#36]
It says here
http://www.sgmtactical.com/about-smg-tactical/

That SGM is made in the USA. So maybe these were counterfeits of SGM "Glock magazines". Some claimed SGM mags are made in Korea, still wouldn't be coming into the east coast, I don't think. Unless the went through the Panama canal for some reason, but it seems quicker to just hit California and truck it to Georgia.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It says here
http://www.sgmtactical.com/about-smg-tactical/

That SGM is made in the USA. So maybe these were counterfeits of SGM "Glock magazines". Some claimed SGM mags are made in Korea, still wouldn't be coming into the east coast, I don't think. Unless the went through the Panama canal for some reason, but it seems quicker to just hit California and truck it to Georgia.
View Quote

Their Saga magazines are US made. Their Glock mags are Korean made with polymer shell and stainless steel inserts/feed-lips/locking slot. I have few of those for G19 and G17.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Nothing wrong here. It was perfectly legal. They are aftermarket mags made in Korea for SGM Tactical. They simply labeled the package wrong. In no way were they trying to pass these off as OEM Glock mags.

I really hope SGM gets these back and is not out the tens of thousands of dollars they paid for them. Something like this can really hurt a small company.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#40]
can't tell for sure, but maybe they are using the Glock (first G loops around the name) logo on the package since it mentions trademark.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#41]
IDK, but, the packaging looks deceiving to me. The Feds stated they gave the company opportunity to change packaging and they could have the shipment.
But, they choose to do nothing.

I'm sure that the Feds and Glock are tight and their looking out for Glock since they built a factory here and build their guns here with
American labor right there in Georgia.

I would lookout for the home team as well. I know I bought a couple of the .45 auto Korean Hi-Cap mags and THEY SUCK. The mags
only have ""made in Korea"" printed on them. They CANNOT be depended on, for sure.

An they were cheap too. I still threw my money in the trash when I bought them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Looks like G17 mags. More than 13 holes in those mags
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/320626/IMG-2168-148109.JPG

Just found these KCI .45 call 26 rounders on a quick search
View Quote

I bought two of the 26 round mags. I don't know if their KCI or not. I don't even remember who I bought
them from. It was last summer. I just know they are ""made in Korea"", and they """SUCK""".....

Companies ""dumping"" unreliable mags on the street.....the consumer ends up with ""trash"". Cheap trash.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, old thread, but does anybody have any updated information on who the importer was?

Wonder what happened to the confiscated mags?  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah, old thread, but does anybody have any updated information on who the importer was?

Wonder what happened to the confiscated mags?  Anybody know?
View Quote

As with pretty much everything seized they will end up getting destroyed
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As with pretty much everything seized they will end up getting destroyed
View Quote
Anybody get charged with a crime?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#47]
If CBP wanted to they could probably fine, and maybe HSI could put together a criminal case, but I supremely doubt an AUSA would take it. In this case I think the company just did some questionable crap and seizing it will probably be all that happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top