Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 10:06:57 PM EDT
How is the recoil with a g43? My wife is hard to find a gun for due to small hands. She held a 43 last night and it looked like she'd be able to reach the trigger just fine. I'd like for her to finally enjoy shooting a handgun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently took a smaller framed new shooter out, and among other things we shot my 43, and rented a 42. For her the 43 was too much, but the 42 wasn't terribly pleasant but workable and she had little trouble making awesome hits at short distance with no signs of flinch. A lot of girls are very recoil sensitive, it's the first thing they comment on with even mild recoiling pistols (generalization, but my experience).

I don't think it's bad, I can shoot it all day without detriment, but I'm not a smaller framed female with a lukewarm at best interest in shooting either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You can always consider something like a Ruger SR22  also something that is pleasant for her to shoot she will get better with.  Let her hold both see what she has to say.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Start her out on a full size pistol and get her accustomed to shooting a pistol before you move her down to a small pistol.  Let her choose her pistol herself the biggest mistake is trying to make up her mind yourself.  Take her to a range you can rent guns and let her try a few that feel good in her hand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start her out on a full size pistol and get her accustomed to shooting a pistol before you move her down to a small pistol.  Let her choose her pistol herself the biggest mistake is trying to make up her mind yourself.  Take her to a range you can rent guns and let her try a few that feel good in her hand.
View Quote

She's shot fullsize guns before. The problem is that she usually can't reach the trigger on most pistols. I didn't try to coerce her into a 43. I just asked to see it and she held it and liked it. When she shoots larger pistols she has problems with her grip and therefore recoil is less controllable. My thinking was that if she has a better grip and trigger control she may do better with it. If she hates it I can make it my carry gun so it wouldn't be wasted money.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a Glock fan, but IMO you should have her shoot a Ruger LC9 S Pro to see how she does. Hard to beat for a pocket popper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

She's shot fullsize guns before. The problem is that she usually can't reach the trigger on most pistols. I didn't try to coerce her into a 43. I just asked to see it and she held it and liked it. When she shoots larger pistols she has problems with her grip and therefore recoil is less controllable. My thinking was that if she has a better grip and trigger control she may do better with it. If she hates it I can make it my carry gun so it wouldn't be wasted money.
View Quote

I personally don't think it is that bad.  My buddy coworker says his is horrible.  

My petite GF loves hers.  

You really should rent one and see how she likes it.  

I personally think the 42 is the softest shooting most out of the box accurate small handgun I have shot in a long time.  Bought one for the ex right before I found out she was cheating on me.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Recoil makes it feel as if the gun wants to twist out of your hand.  For me (and I imagine most) it's muuuuuch easier to shoot it's bigger brothers.  I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How is the recoil with a g43? My wife is hard to find a gun for due to small hands. She held a 43 last night and it looked like she'd be able to reach the trigger just fine. I'd like for her to finally enjoy shooting a handgun.
View Quote

I think the recoil is sharp w/ a fair amount of muzzle flip but it's quite shootable.  Not sure that I'd want to give it to a new female shooter to learn on though.  One of the Ruger SR22s would be similar in feel to a lot of carry guns and would let her learn to enjoy shooting.   A gun you shoot beats one you're afraid of.  Later get her something bigger when she can pick it out and knows what she likes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

My lady shoots the G43 great better than me honestly.  The TLR-6 also adds a little weight on the muzzle which balances the pistol better.  Also I have Pearce and Vickers mag extension which help a lot for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If one were to practice with a keltec PF-9 and go to the glock, most if not all of the notions that a 43 is hard to shoot would fly out the window.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm seriously considering adding a Stainless Steel RSA, along with either an Agency or Overwatch Precision TAC Trigger.
Then add the TLR-6.  I already have 7 mags with Pearce +1 extension's, so that takes care of a 50rd box of ammo.

I really wish Kent at Polymer Refined was up and running, because I'd send him my G43 to be Stippled in his Puzzle Matrix pattern.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If one were to practice with a keltec PF-9 and go to the glock, most if not all of the notions that a 43 is hard to shoot would fly out the window.
View Quote

Very true i had a pf9 and upgraded to the 43 when it came out and was really surprised how soft shooting it is
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quite a bit of the felt recoil with hand guns is how the particular gun fits the shooter. I've got med to small sized hands and a bit of
arthritis and I have no problem with the G43 because I can grip it better than some of the fat double stacks. My wife also handles it
pretty well. That said, it is a light weight gun shooting full power 9mm so naturally it's going to be a bit snappy. I'd say give it a try if you can find one to rent or know someone who'll let your wife shoot some.

Another option which seems to fit small handed, recoil sensitive females is the Sig P238. Put the pinky extended mag in and it's easy to get a full grip. Also one of the easiest guns to rack the slide on I've come across. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't find the recoil to be bad at all.  I'm way more conscious of the slide bite I get. My G43 is the only gun I've ever owned that cuts me with both sides of the slide.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Recoil is not too bad on the 43. I enjoy shooting it. Still softer than the 40 cal guns.

But it's not a beginners gun. The smaller the gun, the harder to shoot usually.

I would highly recommend the G42. Shoots like a .22 and is very accurate. It's by far the softest, smoothest easiest shooting .380 that I have ever shot. The 42 is a little smaller than the 43.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think the recoil on the 43 is bad at all.  I shoot it just as well as any of my other Glocks.   Take her to a range that rents guns and rent her one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the G43 a lot, but it absolutely has a good amount of recoil. For a new or newer shooter, I think it would be tolerable, but not necessarily fun to shoot.

I think an interesting option would be the Walther PPS M2, because Umarex makes a perfect 1:1 copy .177 BB CO2 air pistol version of it. This would allow a recoil sensitive shooter to do a lot of practicing (even from home) while keeping their overall harsh recoiling 9mm practice to tolerable levels.

Walther PPS M2 Airgun
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah all my friends are fellow agents or other le. They've all shot my 43 about half think it has moderately heavy recoil, the others think its average. So for a pocket pistol its not bad. I have to say it is about the best concealed carry pistol ive ever carried
And i take mine all over the country. I also shoot the heck out of it and find it just as capable as a full sized gun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The 43 recoil doesn't bother me, but I find that it wants to shift in my hands more than larger guns.

My wife hates the recoil of the 43, but instantly fell in love with the 42.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO, recoil is very perception oriented. My strong hand thumb has been dislocated at the base joint for years. Past indiscretions involving bad choices aside, the Sig P938 fits in the web of my hand nicely. And now switching to the G43, even more so. I decided I wanted to carry a gun without a manually actuated safety for ease of use and presentation. The 43 feels like it was form fitted for my goofy thumb. It slips perfectly into the web, nice and snug to the beaver tail. Sure a small 9mm is a little snappy. But people that don't have a lot of experience with different firearms often don't realize that all guns have recoil. Some very little. And some a lot. So any recoil at all is often times perceived as bad. Or maybe intimidating is a better descriptor. I don't personally feel it's anything close to a full size .40. Or 10mm. But it definitely reminds you it's there. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am a Glock fan, but IMO you should have her shoot a Ruger LC9 S Pro to see how she does. Hard to beat for a pocket popper.
View Quote

If the main concern is felt recoil then I have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, the Pro is a fantastic little pistol with a great trigger BUT it's a hell of a lot snappier than the 43.

Recoil of the 43 is hard to explain. On one hand you certainly feel it, but it's such a relaxing push back into the hand that any additional force felt isn't necessarily unpleasant. I quite enjoy shooting mine, even more so sometimes than my 17.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
To put this all in perspective, the first gun I used when I got into LE was a little S&W snub nosed revolver in .38 special.  I dreaded shooting it, it would bruise my fingers with heavy loads. The 43 is like shooting a bb gun compared to that pistol but just as powerful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If the main concern is felt recoil then I have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, the Pro is a fantastic little pistol with a great trigger BUT it's a hell of a lot snappier than the 43.

Recoil of the 43 is hard to explain. On one hand you certainly feel it, but it's such a relaxing push back into the hand that any additional force felt isn't necessarily unpleasant. I quite enjoy shooting mine, even more so sometimes than my 17.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't disagree. I should have mentioned that I have never fired a 43. IMO the recoil of the Pro is barely noticeable to me although I would like to fire the 43 to compare the two. I do enjoy shooting the 21 because it is the softest .45 I have ever shot/owned, so from that perspective I can understand what you mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top