Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 9:09:50 PM EDT
I have an old Gen 3 model 19 believe latel 80s early 90s. I don't know the round count before I bought it but I roughly have close to 7000 rounds on this gun.
I went to the range Friday and realized I was going through 3-4 rounds with the gun just going click. I would trapped rack and click, 3-4 times In a row. Ammo ranged from brown bear, blazer, aluminum federal, and some other manufacturers. I've had "light primier" sticks before but chalked it up to bad ammo since it never happened consecutively. Now my question is should I chang all internals or just the striker spring?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Detail stripping the slide cleaning the striker channel and making sure it is completely dry will likely get your pistol back to 100%. My glock 19 has at least triple that amount of ammo through it with no parts replacement except a coup,e recoil spring assemblies
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Springs wear out at different rates. Simply replace your firing pin spring. It never hurts to replace springs, especially on older weapons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Springs wear out at different rates. Simply replace your firing pin spring. It never hurts to replace springs, especially on older weapons.
View Quote

This and make sure the channel is clean and dry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Replace the firing pin spring. If the firing pin itself looks off at all replace it too. Clean everything, leave striker assembly and channel dry.

Some Russian ammo has hard primers, could you isolate the brand or were there some with everything?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
while it is apart, check that the spring retaining cups are not dinged
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Detailed strip, clean and inspect.  I can't imagine your spring is worn out with the round count the weapon has on it (springs don't go bad from sitting around).

Check the condition of the firing pin, ensure the channel is clean.  Replace firing pin/spring if needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Brown bear ammo
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Brown bear ammo
View Quote

I having the same issues with brown bear ammo. Out of a box of 50 I will get about 5-6 'clicks'. I'll reload them and they usually shoot the second time though.
My gen 3 19 has about 6k through it give or take. I've never done a complete disassembly and cleaning on her (only field strip/clean) on her but I'm going to do one tomorrow and hit the range and see if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
As several others have already stated, detail strip and clean everything. I would go ahead and order a new firing pin channel liner and springs cups and replace them along with the firing pin spring. Honestly, I would just go ahead and replace all of the springs if the gun is that old. Springs wear out from use not storage, so if the firing pin spring is bad, the rest are going to be bad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the same issue with my 3 x glock 19 with light primer strikes on wolf ammo.   The solution is a wolff 6 lb stricker spring.  $3 dollar fix.  Just did a pistol class with 1400 rounds with wolf steel ammo and not 1 light primer strike.  My buddy ran my other glock for 1400 rounds and no light primer strikes.  This will fix your issue.  As said  earlier please make sure the striker channels is clean and no oil in there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had the same issue with my 3 x glock 19 with light primer strikes on wolf ammo.   The solution is a wolff 6 lb stricker spring.  $3 dollar fix.  Just did a pistol class with 1400 rounds with wolf steel ammo and not 1 light primer strike.  My buddy ran my other glock for 1400 rounds and no light primer strikes.  This will fix your issue.  As said  earlier please make sure the striker channels is clean and no oil in there.
View Quote
where did you order your spring from?
THX

I found them on eBay.  NTZ performance,  
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I just went through about 500 rounds of brown bear. Had about 6 or 7 light primer strikes. More than one gun. None would fire if reloaded them again.

Never had the issue in thousands of rounds with any other ammo in the same Guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.gunsprings.com/GLOCK%20®/cID1/mID5/dID116#131

get the 6lb striker spring
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Late to the party as usual. Back in late 80's I remember when we could have 1200rds of Egyptian 124gr FMJ (corrosive at that) delivered for $89. Worked great in Hi-Powers and other hammer fired pistols. But not my best friends new Glock pistol. Light primer strikes due to hard primers. I avoided Glocks because of that until I finally gave in 12/2015. Since your pistol is over 20 years old and your listed round count, it wouldn't hurt to replace firing pin spring. But hard primers are still going to be a hit or miss I'm guessing. Great thread and information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top