BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Posted: 4/3/2016 8:40:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to have one for a fun range gun, not sure I'd carry one everyday though... If I could just buy the barrel and comp that be even better...
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:48:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#2]
Edited -AJE
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:12:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#3]
Edited -AJE
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#4]
Edited -AJE
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:34:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 11:07:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#6]
Edited -AJE
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#7]
Enough of this, or the thread will be locked. -AJE

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#8]
OP, my apologies for derailing your thread.

Back on track -

I did put 50 more rounds of 124 gr thru this setup yesterday. Wish I had time to put more rounds thru it yesterday, but the range was slammed with others waiting to shoot due to rain. Thus far it's been a solid setup with zero malfunctions.

In regards to a question some have about changing the recoil spring - mine is the factory RSA, and I've had no issues with 124 gr NATO spec ZQI or 115 gr Federal Aluminum, which is what I buy for 9mm. I haven't put 147 gr thru it, as I reserve that for my suppressor hosts. Some people with this setup have reported issues shooting 147 gr, so there's that.

Concussion and flash from the comp are definitely more noticeable with the 124 grain NATO spec ZQI. With theach 115 gr Federal Aluminum, it's not bad. The comp does add some concussion and flash, but it's not .357 SIG levels of bad.

RE: Questions about holsters - this is a range toy for me, as I carry my agency issued G19 when off-duty, but reportedly *most* G34 holsters will work as long as there is clearance for the RMR. This includes the Safariland 6345DO as well.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
I'm all for vetting the source of the concept. It's necessary in order to vet the concept.

The big problem is the concept seems to be a CAG origin, same as the Geiselle 6-second mount and setup. However, because of the secretiveness of the units involved no one can actually corroborate that. Maybe 20 years from now we'll get a Glock book like the Vickers 1911 book.

That said, lets keep this from being completely stupid.

Anyone seen the Agency NOC? Seems to be the same concept done in a more expensive way.
View Quote

The NOC is very nice.

With the comp on the NOC, the front sight is integrated into the comp area, which doesn't move with the slide.

The NOC also has the same overall length as a G17, as opposed to the Roland Special,  which has the same OAL as a G34, so the NOC is a more compact package.

Agency makes a really solid product, but I'm not sure I could justify $3000+ for that setup, when I can build a Roland Special for about  $2000-ish.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to get into Glocks, not because they stick out to me as a pistol, but because of what they are as a base gun. I've got money set aside for 2 G19s right now but our local blue label dealer is backordered months.

I'd like to build something like this down the road based on a Unity slide. Granted, I'm not a talented enough shooter to really appreciate this setup... Although as a former firearms test tech I really like watching the progression and seeing prosophobic gun owners melt down.
View Quote

The Unity Tactical ATOM slides are super nice. I have one I used for a G19 build. It'd make a good base for a Roland Special build, as it already has the front serrations, and ability to mount an optic.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Regarding recoil springs, would people be going lighter or heavier with a comp?  Less recoil (and 147 issues) makes me think lighter.  
I like the Agency's design because the comp is so small, but companies might offer a single port short comp like KKMs bigger one.

I've tried a bunch of RMRs and just don't think it's ready for he big time just yet.  In another 5 years maybe we'll hopefully have great non-reciprocating red dots with bigger lenses that are still compact enough for CCW carry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By eviljoe:
Regarding recoil springs, would people be going lighter or heavier with a comp?  Less recoil (and 147 issues) makes me think lighter.  
I like the Agency's design because the comp is so small, but companies might offer a single port short comp like KKMs bigger one.

I've tried a bunch of RMRs and just don't think it's ready for he big time just yet.  In another 5 years maybe we'll hopefully have great non-reciprocating red dots with bigger lenses that are still compact enough for CCW carry.
View Quote

People are going lighter on spring weight. 13 pound, I believe, though I could be mistaken.

There's no denying that the RMR has had its issues, however Trijicon keeps making in-line production changes to better suit the RMR for slide-mounting.

I'm excited to see how the tech evolves in the coming years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#15]
The trijicon seem to be at the top of the pack, but if I was looking for one now it would have to be new stock. (B/c of the changes having been made).

The DP Pro looks like another solid option but it isn't supported yet.

I'd like to see how the KKM comp looks under NODs.
View Quote

From my experience, even suppressed pistols can be bright under NODSs, depending on ammo selection, type of suppressor, etc.......so I'd imagine that the KKM comp would be nuts, but can't comment, as I sold off my NVGs after realizing I was sitting on $3000 worth of stuff I never used.

Totally agree with you on the RMRs.

I just bought two of them, all with SN's in the 177xxx range, and they definitely have different battery contacts than previous models I've had....and they have a magnet to help hold the battery still
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I get the RDS part of this but I just dont understand the comp. A 19 doesnt move much at all anyway so why add weight and blast? I could maybe see a benefit if there was no dot with the front sight on the comp. Basically a sight tracker type set up but the dot negates that. With a comp its just one more thing to go wrong. The ones I am seeing appear to be held on with set screws unless they are rockset in place as well.

Its good to see people push for improvement and if this works for what they need more power to them. I remember Barnhart running the holosight back in the 90's looking like he had a computer on top of his pistol. Its pretty cool how far its come.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#17]
Originally Posted By JCIN:
I get the RDS part of this but I just dont understand the comp. A 19 doesnt move much at all anyway so why add weight and blast? I could maybe see a benefit if there was no dot with the front sight on the comp. Basically a sight tracker type set up but the dot negates that. With a comp its just one more thing to go wrong. The ones I am seeing appear to be held on with set screws unless they are rockset in place as well.

Its good to see people push for improvement and if this works for what they need more power to them. I remember Barnhart running the holosight back in the 90's looking like he had a computer on top of his pistol. Its pretty cool how far its come.
View Quote

Shooting my issued G19 then shooting my Roland Special, there is a definite reduction in muzzle rise and felt recoil on the Roland Special, albeit at the price of increased concussion and muzzle flash.

The cool thing about the KKM comp, is that it's proprietary barrel has flats perfectly indexed at 3 and 9, and uses rather large, fine threaded screws, so that seems to reduce the issue of them backing out. No issues with my comp moving yet.

I don't use loctite or Vibra-Tite on my screws, and they haven't budged yet - however, I have less than 200 rounds thru my setup. If the screws start backing out, I suspect Vibra-Tite will be a much better solution than loctite, since the comp has to be removed to field strip.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Airborne_Infantryman:
Shooting my issued G19 then shooting my Roland Special, there is a definite reduction in muzzle rise and felt recoil on the Roland Special, albeit at the price of increased concussion and muzzle flash.

The cool thing about the KKM comp, is that it's proprietary barrel has flats perfectly indexed at 3 and 9, and uses rather large, fine threaded screws, so that seems to reduce the issue of them backing out. No issues with my comp moving yet.

I don't use loctite or Vibra-Tite on my screws, and they haven't budged yet - however, I have less than 200 rounds thru my setup. If the screws start backing out, I suspect Vibra-Tite will be a much better solution than loctite, since the comp has to be removed to field strip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By JCIN:

It would be interesting to see what the difference would be running bill drills between the stock gun and the comp gun. That particular drill would be pretty good at measuring an improvement in control. I shot open class for awhile and never did really fall in love with comp guns. As long as you dig it thats all that matters.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I assume this thread is about the 960 roland conversion? I read on the 460 how the case the thicker and it added some real power to the 45. What advantages does the 960 have or rather what more powerful catridge does it mimic? I heard when this first came out people said it wont do anything 357 sig doesnt do, but there has to be more to this cartridge than that?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought this was a 960 rowland thread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Do we have any instances where this set up has been in combat or seen duty use at any major metro PD in the US

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cowboy:

I doubt many major metro PDs are going to allow officer's to use guns that are made to kill people faster.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Originally Posted By ak4784:
Do we have any instances where this set up has been in combat or seen duty use at any major metro PD in the US

I doubt many major metro PDs are going to allow officer's to use guns that are made to kill people faster.

Lol. Yup. Some of the politicians would have us using only kind words and smiles if they could.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I love how everyone has a hard on for this. This is exactly how I would expect a gun to be set up by people that are familiar with the concept of competition shooting, and yet have no deep mastery of the handgun platform.

The comp is lunacy on a 9mm gun, even the NATO stuff doesn't generate enough gas to need any sort of comp. Instead you have introduced ports and venting, and all the associated negative effects, for a pistol that is presumably used in tight quarters by "face shooters".

Then, you've made the intentional choice to run a 19, instead of a 17, despite the fact that anyone with more than 5 minutes on a handgun shoots a 17 better, often 15-20% better.

You've added a magwell, which is borderline retarded on a concealment piece, so you're just adding further mechanical complexity. Magwells on 19s don't often do that well with large/gloved hands either.

Now, we've also added stippling. There are very, very few people who can stipple Glocks without reducing the integrity of the frame/grip. Not a good idea usually on a working gun.

And of course, we declare that this is a "special" pistol, for "special" people, as if the concept and application can't then be critiqued.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Forget the naysayers....I'm building one.  Even if it's just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I have several 19's so I'll do some head to head drills and see what happens.

I certainly don't get the "hate" for trying to chase after that 0.00001% of an advantage.  Shouldn't we all strive to do the same?  Physically, mentally, and even gear/tech wise?

Sometimes I wonder about people on forums and if they're even actually shooters.

To the topic at hand.  Anybody have more intel on what ammo is preferred?  I've read the 45 page P-F thread already....
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#31]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
I love how everyone has a hard on for this. This is exactly how I would expect a gun to be set up by people that are familiar with the concept of competition shooting, and yet have no deep mastery of the handgun platform.

The comp is lunacy on a 9mm gun, even the NATO stuff doesn't generate enough gas to need any sort of comp. Instead you have introduced ports and venting, and all the associated negative effects, for a pistol that is presumably used in tight quarters by "face shooters".

Then, you've made the intentional choice to run a 19, instead of a 17, despite the fact that anyone with more than 5 minutes on a handgun shoots a 17 better, often 15-20% better.

You've added a magwell, which is borderline retarded on a concealment piece, so you're just adding further mechanical complexity. Magwells on 19s don't often do that well with large/gloved hands either.

Now, we've also added stippling. There are very, very few people who can stipple Glocks without reducing the integrity of the frame/grip. Not a good idea usually on a working gun.

And of course, we declare that this is a "special" pistol, for "special" people, as if the concept and application can't then be critiqued.

View Quote

That claim is completely false.

My agency issues a G17 or G19 per user choice.

I shoot the G19 better than the 17, and regularly qualify between 98 to 100%. Our agencies qual consists of a TQC and also a qual at 25 meters to include weak hand and kneeling, etc.

To say "anyone with more than 5 minutes on a handgun shoots a 17 better, often 15-20% better" is not correct. I, and many others at my agency are proof of that.

As someone else said - don't like the concept? Don't build one. There's no need to insult the concept. I can understand skepticism, but to completely bash something you've never used, is narrow-minded.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:
Forget the naysayers....I'm building one.  Even if it's just to satisfy my own curiosity.  I have several 19's so I'll do some head to head drills and see what happens.

I certainly don't get the "hate" for trying to chase after that 0.00001% of an advantage.  Shouldn't we all strive to do the same?  Physically, mentally, and even gear/tech wise?

Sometimes I wonder about people on forums and if they're even actually shooters.

To the topic at hand.  Anybody have more intel on what ammo is preferred?  I've read the 45 page P-F thread already....
View Quote

I have no clue what the pipe hitters using the Roland use in real life, but mine loves ZQI 9mm NATO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#33]

I have no clue what the pipe hitters using the Roland use in real life, but mine loves ZQI 9mm NATO.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about what is used by the real deal guys.  I'm just curious what others that actually have one are using and having good luck with.

I'm going to try the following:

124gr Geco IPSC load
124gr Winchester NATO
124gr IMI NATO
124gr Underwood +p+ Gold Dots
147gr Underwood +p Gold Dots
147gr Speer Lawman

I'm up for loading specifically for this gun as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about what is used by the real deal guys.  I'm just curious what others that actually have one are using and having good luck with.

124gr Geco IPSC load
124gr Winchester NATO
124gr IMI NATO
147gr Speer Lawman

View All Quotes

124gr Geco IPSC load
124gr Winchester NATO
124gr IMI NATO
147gr Speer Lawman

The ZQI NATO is nice. I've shot some Federal aluminum 115 gr as well. I think I tried like 7-8 Speer Gold Dots too, but I don't recall the grain.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:17:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#35]

In use in Combat, apparently yes. However, the type of units that are supposedly using this setup don't talk about their work. In order to understand the legitimacy you need to know who is framing the discussion (DocGKR for instance) and read between the lines. So the P-F threads are a good (probably the best) place to find the info you are looking for.

Unfortunately for us here, no one is going to say "the concept originated with MSG [Awesome] during his 20 years in [insert most recent classified name for Delta] where he's carried this weapon in Iraq, Syria, and China to take down HVTs while rescuing CIA agent hostages."

No major PDs that I know of. PDs are way more conservative than any military SMU.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ak4784:

In use in Combat, apparently yes. However, the type of units that are supposedly using this setup don't talk about their work. In order to understand the legitimacy you need to know who is framing the discussion (DocGKR for instance) and read between the lines. So the P-F threads are a good (probably the best) place to find the info you are looking for.

Unfortunately for us here, no one is going to say "the concept originated with MSG [Awesome] during his 20 years in [insert most recent classified name for Delta] where he's carried this weapon in Iraq, Syria, and China to take down HVTs while rescuing CIA agent hostages."

No major PDs that I know of. PDs are way more conservative than any military SMU.

One of the guys involved in this pistol set up is a Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, Pat McNamara level of real world bad ass. Fact. Think about that for a second.

Gary cannot lawfully build, posses or transport a Roland Special in his home state. That FACT makes me question the legitimacy of the entire PF thread.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#36]
Bump. Going to the range tomorrow to try a larger variety of ammo in my Roland Special.

Will be trying -

Perfecta 115 gr
WWB 115 gr
Liberty Civil Defense 50 gr +P
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump. Going to the range tomorrow to try a larger variety of ammo in my Roland Special.

Will be trying -

Perfecta 115 gr
WWB 115 gr
Liberty Civil Defense 50 gr +P
Hornady Critical Duty 135gr
View Quote

Please post how the gun cycles with that target grade stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Put me in the "I don't get it" camp.  As well as "the fool and his money are soon parted" camp.

You guys that are building or buying these, what role are they going to play?  CCW?  HD?  Range toy?

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeet-Cannon] [#39]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Put me in the "I don't get it" camp.  As well as "the fool and his money are soon parted" camp.

You guys that are building or buying these, what role are they going to play?  CCW?  HD?  Range toy?

View Quote

I have the money to burn, and it's a range toy.

My issued G19 is what I carry constantly for CCW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Answer: Yes, all the things.

I wonder if this is how Henry Ford felt when all the horse asses were giving him shit about his dumbass motor coach.... Retorical question, and probably a far fetched analogy but it's late for me and I just don't get the hate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#41]

I shoot the G19 better than the 17, and regularly qualify between 98 to 100%. Our agencies qual consists of a TQC and also a qual at 25 meters to include weak hand and kneeling, etc.

To say "anyone with more than 5 minutes on a handgun shoots a 17 better, often 15-20% better" is not correct. I, and many others at my agency are proof of that.

As someone else said - don't like the concept? Don't build one. There's no need to insult the concept. I can understand skepticism, but to completely bash something you've never used, is narrow-minded.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I dont know where he gets his.information. He'll go on and on about how 855 goes subsonic at 400 yards. He's had a few other humdingers as well that a can't remember but anything ML says =
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#42]

I wonder if this is how Henry Ford felt when all the horse asses were giving him shit about his dumbass motor coach.... Retorical question, and probably a far fetched analogy but it's late for me and I just don't get the hate.
View All Quotes

The only thing I dont really get is the comp. Besides that it seems like  a kick ass HD gun
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll take a CWOCK
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkP] [#45]
wouldn't a Glock 17C with RMR accomplish the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't have any pictures in my photobucket just yet, but I have a RMR on a Glock 19 with a KKM barrel and a lonewolf slide. No stippling. No magwell. No weapon light at this time (but I have some lying around that I could put on there). And no comp. This is my first RMR'ed pistol and I'm liking it. Not sure if I like it enough to carry it. but I have a T.Rex Sidecar being made for it in case I decide to try it out. Biggest advantage I've found is at 25 yards, being able to maintain focus on the target instead of the front sight has made my groups tighter and shots faster. Close in, I don't notice much of a difference.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]
TCBA_Joe

thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.

MP

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm thinking this is some kind of April Fool's joke that just keeps on going.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top