Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/24/2016 3:25:28 PM EDT
I originally made this post looking for info on what parts I would need to build a Glock from one of the new Polymer80 frames, and now that (I think) I've gotten the info I was looking for I thought I'd turn this into more of a "how to" thread for others who are looking to do the same.

Here's a parts diagram on their website, along with links to a few parts vendors: Parts Diagram for the S150 80% Polymer Pistol Frame

And a detailed writeup on how to disassemble/assemble a Glock: Glock disassembly and how to clean a Glock

I'll update the first reply with the progress of my build and pictures of each step.

Original post:

Some friends and I (perhaps foolishly) pre-ordered a few 80% Glock frames from Polymer80, and none of us really have a clue what we're doing as far as buying parts. I did stumble onto a thread that had this list in one of the replies:

Frame
Slide
Barrel
Slide Cover
Plunger Spring
Extractor Plunger
Extractor
Spacer Sleeve
Channel Liner
Firing Pin Safety
Firing Pin Spring
Spring Cups
Firing Pin Spring
Firing Pin
Recoil Spring
Rear Sight
Front Sight
Locking Block
Locking Block Pin
Magazine Catch
Magazine Catch Spring
Connector
Trigger
Trigger Spring
Trigger Housing Pin
Trigger Pin
Trigger Housing
Slide Stop
Slide Lock
Slide Lock Spring
Magazine

Could someone enlighten me as to whether or not these are all the parts we'll need? Polymer80's website says the frames will come with locking blocks, but I'm not sure if that includes the locking block pin or not. I've also found a few sites that sell "complete" slides, but I'm not sure which of the other parts are included with those. Same with trigger assemblies. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
First impressions: surface finishes all seem even and consistent, internal features are nice and sharp, and magwells feel smooth.

Update 10/28/16:
Finally ordered parts from Lone Wolf and assembled the slide. I'll go through it step by step in case anyone reading this is as green as I was last night.

Slide parts

With slide top-down, place firing pin safety/spring into hole just behind chamber

Turn slide so right side faces up. Insert extractor so round part fits into hole. While pushing on extractor, press firing pin safety in slowly until extractor falls in.

Place firing pin into spacer sleeve. Notch on back of firing pin will fit inside groove in spacer sleeve.

Turn the firing pin upside down so the spacer sleeve goes into the firing pin channel, and place spring over firing pin. This will help make it easier to get the spring cups on.

Compress the firing pin spring with one hand, and use the other to place the spring cups on either side of the narrow part of the firing pin, with the thinner end of the cup sitting inside the spring.

Release tension from the firing pin spring SLOWLY until it holds the spring cups against the wider part of the firing pin. Trust me, you don't want to be hunting for those things.

Forgot to take a pic here, but don't forget to put the channel liner in before the firing pin. The metal-on-metal contact will either wear out your firing pin or cause it to seize up. There's a special tool you can get for it, but I just used a hex driver bit that happened to be the same outer diameter as the channel liner. You'll need to press it in pretty firmly, but don't push too hard or you'll damage it.

Now flip the whole firing pin assembly over, and insert it into the channel. The key on the firing pin will fit into the groove on the slide. You may need to put a little pressure on it, but not much.

Assemble the extractor depressor plunger, plunger spring, and spring loaded bearing as shown.

Insert into the smaller hole next to the firing pin channel, with the spring loaded bearing facing up.

Push on the firing pin spacer sleeve until it sits below the end of the firing pin channel, which will allow you to push the slide cover plate partway over it.

Use a punch or small screwdriver to push down on the spring loaded bearing. It'll need to be a smaller diameter so the slide cover can partially cover it.

Now you can push the slide cover plate all the way up. It should click when it's in place.

Time to get the sights ready. My TruGlo night sights needed to be filed down a bit. Only a little on the flats, but the angled surfaces took a while before they'd fit.

Didn't feel like this one needed a picture. Just use a little blue thread locker on the set screw and make sure the sight is centered, then tighten it down until it's good and snug.

Front sight works a little differently. Place the notch on the bottom of the sight into the hole on top of the slide.

Now flip the slide over, and have fun getting the threads started on that tiny little hex nut. Apparently there's a tool for it, but I just used the tip of a finger to put light pressure on it and turn until the threads caught.

Once you get it started, put a drop of blue thread locker on the threads and get it snug. I was able to get a 3/16 hex driver bit to fit in that tiny space between the nut and front of the slide.

Flip slide upside down again, and slide muzzle end of barrel through hole in end of slide as shown.

If you live in a state that doesn't hate you, put the thread protector on your barrel.

Place the round end of the recoil spring/guide rod assembly into the hole underneath the barrel.

Now compress the recoil spring from the flat end.

Press it into the second groove on the barrel.

And you're done!

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Glockmiester has receiver and slide parts kits less the receiver slide and barrel, that should make it simple enough.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have the frame in your possession now?  Post a LOT of pics.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glockmiester has receiver and slide parts kits less the receiver slide and barrel, that should make it simple enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll check them out, thanks for the tip!

Quoted:
Do you have the frame in your possession now?  Post a LOT of pics.

Not yet, but according to their website they have one final tweak to make before it's ready to ship. They're saying early April. I'll post pics as soon as I get it!
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You are going to end up spending more than a good used police trade glock costs when all is said and done,not sure I get the point of doing this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You are going to end up spending more than a good used police trade glock costs when all is said and done,not sure I get the point of doing this?
View Quote

Because it's an 80% gun.

Because you can.

Because 'Murcia
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because it's an 80% gun.

Because you can.

Because 'Murcia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it's an 80% gun.

Because you can.

Because 'Murcia

What he said! Plus I probably won't be going with all stock parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Plenty of complete lower parts kits on ebay. They would probably save a significant amount of time finding all of the individual parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lots of places sell complete lower parts kits for Glock. From there you can buy either a complete slide assembly or buy a stripped slide and a complete slide kit. It might be cheaper buying a full kit and subbing in the parts you want vs buying each individual roll pin, spring, and piece.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Lots of places sell complete lower parts kits for Glock. From there you can buy either a complete slide assembly or buy a stripped slide and a complete slide kit. It might be cheaper buying a full kit and subbing in the parts you want vs buying each individual roll pin, spring, and piece.

Quoted:
Plenty of complete lower parts kits on ebay. They would probably save a significant amount of time finding all of the individual parts.

I will definitely be looking into this. I already plan on spending more than I would on a factory Glock, but if I can minimize the difference that'd be swell.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
They have a link on polymer 80's site for everything you need to finish the job
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They have a link on polymer 80's site for everything you need to finish the job
View Quote

Yeah lol I just saw that yesterday. Of course I'd find it after making this post.

I guess I can change the original post and make this more of an informative thread for others who are looking.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#13]
80% frames have finally reached the production stage, and shipping starts this week!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Any updates?  I'm really interested in seeing the frame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP is going to be an "Alpha" tester on these 80% frames.  Good luck OP.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nothing yet, but I'll post pics as soon as they show up.

Quoted:
OP is going to be an "Alpha" tester on these 80% frames.  Good luck OP.  

Thanks! I really hope I don't butcher this...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting how far back the top of the beaver tail comes beyond the back of the slide.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand the logic of 80% lowers.   You spend good money and time machining a lower that you can't pass on to anyone, and has to be surrendered upon your demise.   That doesn't seem intelligent.   Why waste good time and money on something you can buy and keep in the family forever?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't understand the logic of 80% lowers.   You spend good money and time machining a lower that you can't pass on to anyone, and has to be surrendered upon your demise.   That doesn't seem intelligent.   Why waste good time and money on something you can buy and keep in the family forever?

View Quote

Well your understanding of the law is completely wrong, so I can see how you wouldn't understand the logic of an 80%.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
For a lot of people it's the fun of building something yourself even if it's only a small part of the whole gun.  One thing I personally like is the lack of roll marks and engraving on 80% guns; it makes them look cleaner.

As far as anonymity... don't count on it.  The NSA records what websites you go to and your credit card transactions, as well as your YouTube viewing history while you're looking for guides on finishing it.  It's not unbelievable that they would share that data with the ATF, who, should the day come, would use parallel construction to make an investigation against you for possessing it.  The NSA did as much already with the DEA for drug cases.

When it comes to these Glock 80%ers, the economics aren't there yet.  There are a few companies making aftermarket Glock parts, but not in high enough volume to make a homemade Glock as reasonable as a homemade AR15 where you only pay about $10-$15 more for the 80% than you do for a complete receiver (assuming you have the tools to finish it already).  My interest here is in seeing more options for 80% guns in general, and 80% handguns in particular.  Right now the only choices on the 80% market are AR15, AR10, 10/22, 1911, a few Stens, the rare 22/45, and a fabled Rem700 that no one has ever actually seen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You spend good money and time machining a lower that you can't pass on to anyone, and has to be surrendered upon your demise.

View Quote

This is COMPLETELY erroneous! The only way you are going to get into trouble with manufacturing "80%" receivers into firearms is if you do so with the intent of selling them. You can legally sell them if you have an 07 FFL and pay the ITAR yearly fee.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
My order will be shipped on day 3.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is being shipped day 5.

The 80% route makes SOME sense if you get a cheapo police trade in (I got one for $320 shipped from a site, plus $20 FFL transfer).  I am planning to use the slide, barrel, etc... from the police trade in G22 (with a LW 9mm conversion) on the 80% frame, plus I have all the lower parts I've bought already for the project.

If it doesn't work out, I am only out what it costs for the frame and I have a 9mm/.40 capable G22 in decent shape and enough spare parts to keep me shooting that gun until rapture.  If it does work out, I'm out whatever the parts cost is to rebuild the G22 frame with new parts and a .22LR conversion for a dedicated .22 trainer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As far as anonymity... don't count on it.  The NSA records what websites you go to and your credit card transactions, as well as your YouTube viewing history while you're looking for guides on finishing it.  It's not unbelievable that they would share that data with the ATF, who, should the day come, would use parallel construction to make an investigation against you for possessing it.
View Quote

As far as they know, you could've sold it at a gun show for cash while it was still an 80%. Can't prove you didn't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As far as they know, you could've sold it at a gun show for cash while it was still an 80%. Can't prove you didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as anonymity... don't count on it.  The NSA records what websites you go to and your credit card transactions, as well as your YouTube viewing history while you're looking for guides on finishing it.  It's not unbelievable that they would share that data with the ATF, who, should the day come, would use parallel construction to make an investigation against you for possessing it.

I've bought Glocks in private sales (and sold some in private sales) and there's no record of me doing so.  Also I get a factory gun out of it vs some unknown hunk of plastic that I have to finish myself.  I guess you're in IL so you don't have much of a choice, but in most of the country, it seems like way too much work for an inferior result.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's some irony in your UN and post.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... I missed that.  Good catch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:I've bought Glocks in private sales (and sold some in private sales) and there's no record of me doing so.  Also I get a factory gun out of it vs some unknown hunk of plastic that I have to finish myself.  I guess you're in IL so you don't have much of a choice, but in most of the country, it seems like way too much work for an inferior result.
View Quote

I have too, but for all I know that guy could've saved my number and the gun could still be traced to me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have too, but for all I know that guy could've saved my number and the gun could still be traced to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I've bought Glocks in private sales (and sold some in private sales) and there's no record of me doing so.  Also I get a factory gun out of it vs some unknown hunk of plastic that I have to finish myself.  I guess you're in IL so you don't have much of a choice, but in most of the country, it seems like way too much work for an inferior result.

If you're that worried, there's any number of ways to get a temporary phone number that are free or very low cost.   But if you're going to be paranoid, I'd worry more about using your credit card to buy an 80% frame.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#31]
NSA records won't be used in routine criminal convictions...

They need a subpoena to look at your bank records... and the gov. aren't going to waste their money going after someone making 80% receivers UNLESS this is a guy making it, and then immediately giving it to others who used it in the commission of a crime. Actually chances are it won't be the ATF but the local police doing the investigation and arresting, and they won't have access to NSA records either.

Just think about how much intelligence would be compromised if they use NSA records in a court case (where it is public).

It costs the government at least a million dollar to investigate, try, and convict someone. For every dollar you spend on legal defense the gov. is spending at least 30 dollars, not to mention the 50,000 a year the gov. must spend to lock you up. They may seem like they have unlimited resources but they don't. When resources are finite they are going to prioritize their police resource.

If you're really paranoid, do everything in cash or postal money order, and have the stuff delivered to some abandoned place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Pics?

We've got three threads about these Specter frames in this subforum and not a single pic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy misinformed know it all Batman.

You may want to do a little more research.  Your information is slightly off, OK completely and totally off in every way.

See the M1919A7 my little boy is shooting in my avatar?  Built from an 80% Semi receiver and internals modified appropriately.  Completely legal for me to sell this gun to anyone who can legally own a firearm and completely legal for me to pass down to my children.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a shipping notification yesterday. Should be here by the 2nd!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
so has anybody taken the time to comprise a parts list of THE aftermarket parts needed to complete one of these?

I'm not looking for a list of the most expensive parts per se, but a list of the most gun for the $$ spent

and mine's most likely going to be set up as a .40S&W with a .22LR conversion, but haven't totally ruled out the 357Sig
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#36]
My cost breakdown:

9mm G17 slide from Ebay: around 350-400 dollars (complete slide with barrel and everything)
Glock frame part kit http://www.glockmeister.com/Complete-Receiver-Replacement-Parts-Kit-For-3-Pin-G17/productinfo/G17RECKIT3/

Unfortunately they don't make ones without locking block...

So total cost minus frame seems to be around 500 or so. More expensive than a glock but you know... ghost gun and all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:14:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

As far as anonymity... don't count on it.  The NSA records what websites you go to and your credit card transactions, as well as your YouTube viewing history while you're looking for guides on finishing it.  It's not unbelievable that they would share that data with the ATF, who, should the day come, would use parallel construction to make an investigation against you for possessing it.  The NSA did as much already with the DEA for drug cases.
View Quote

Lol loosen you tinfoil there Sparky. Unless you are involved with a terrorist group/organization, organization who is planning seditious acts, or an owner of a foreign corporation you aren't being spied on by the NSA. USSID 18 /SP0018 covers this very clearly. If you don't trust the link from a gov entity you can look at the same document on the ACLU website.

OP keep us updated on your build. I almost bought into these frames but held off to see how the first release holds up.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So total cost minus frame seems to be around 500 or so. More expensive than a glock but you know... ghost gun and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that's why I don't think there's really a point unless you're going for mostly upgraded parts.

Quoted:
OP keep us updated on your build. I almost bought into these frames but held off to see how the first release holds up.

Will do! I was gonna wait too, but I figured hey someone's gotta do it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#39]
IN!
Looks like a fun project.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#40]
OST
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Day 47.

Pics?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Also, I read somewhere on arf that Glock sells complete slides directly if you call them to order it.  This could be an economical way to put together a longslide gun, depending on the exact pricing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Day 47.

Pics?

Also, I read somewhere on arf that Glock sells complete slides directly if you call them to order it.  This could be an economical way to put together a longslide gun, depending on the exact pricing.
View Quote

Sorry, a combination of FedEx having stupid policies and my buddy's landlord being a moron held up the package for a bit. Should be here by the end of the week.

I'll see if I can find any info on getting slides straight from Glock. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Haven't researched these too much but will probably pick one up to play with. Wonder if the grip angle is Glock like or 1911 like.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#45]
It is interesting that there are no new posts on their Facebook page after they asked for range reports.  One has to wonder that there must be issues?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is interesting that there are no new posts on their Facebook page after they asked for range reports.  One has to wonder that there must be issues?
View Quote

I didn't see any range reports, but there were plenty of pictures of user submissions after that post.  Still, range reports would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#47]
so I take it nobody else has received theirs yet

mine was delivered yesterday and I noticed there might be a defect.. or there might not

noticed this chunk of plastic was missing from the rear wall of the mag well...don't know if this is casting/molding flash or a defect. I have a message sent to Polymer80 to see what they have to say about it

here's a pic..

the plastic is really thin there, so I'm hoping that's just where it had the plastic injected into the mold
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My order will be shipped on day 3.
View Quote

Still nothing. I ordered end of January. Here is latest e-mail:

We have 2200 pre-orders left, and over 4000 locking blocks scheduled to arrive over the next 2 weeks. We are committed to get as many packages out as possible and hope to have the bulk of the pre-orders completed in 2 weeks, with the latest batch (those ordered end of March/begining of April) potentially shipped on week 3.

Eta
Got my notice 87 seconds ago (5/12/16 1245). I am day 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Got Tracking number today
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#50]
For anyone that has one, can you post detailed picks? This thread lacks pics !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top