Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dwcopple:
you sure?  Looks impressive.  I'd open up shop.
View Quote

Yep, that looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hvydg:
This is my first attempt at stippling.

Lol thanks. I have been thinking about it. I actually have my ffl so I'm good to go. Working on a 17 now. Will post up some pics. It's recessed a lot but I'm not really happy with the borders. They don't "pop" like I think they should. Haha
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
For those with recessed borders on their stippled frames, do you feel the recessed borders? I am considering having Danger Close do the work, but the recessed borders looks quite prominent.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:
For those with recessed borders on their stippled frames, do you feel the recessed borders? I am considering having Danger Close do the work, but the recessed borders looks quite prominent.
View Quote

You do but you don't. As for borders, DCA is the go to if you want the recessed, separated border. SSVI and several others use hard cut borders. This gets the stippling flush with the frame but doesn't leave the distinctive separated border.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Trooper0007:
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh512/ry_da1/IMG_1284_zpsqstxuzlr.jpg

17 to 19 chop, undercut, lower finger lug removal, and stipple.   My first time doing any grip mods.
View Quote
You did good. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ek_cruiser_316] [#6]
Finally went to the dark side and got an aftermarket trigger for my 19 MOS. Before I was running a Gen 3 17 smooth-faced trigger. I honestly feel like the take-up and reset are pretty close. I will admit the flat face feels a lot better to me. I did install a Glock "-" connector along with a 4# striker spring. It lightened the pull up a bit but I am still going to polish the trigger bar on the TAC. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase of the Overwatch Precision TAC trigger. If anything the flat face shoe is tits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Not my first stipple job but first time I undercut the trigger guard. Came out good enough for me. all the goodies to make it go bang come on Friday. Need to get a tan x300 for it too.

Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By great308:
Not my first stipple job but first time I undercut the trigger guard. Came out good enough for me. all the goodies to make it go bang come on Friday. Need to get a tan x300 for it too.
View Quote

Is that DSG mag extension made by Taran Tactical? the one with the pin in the rear? and is that a ZEV magwell?  Just wondering, b/c I was thinking of getting some mag extensions and my brother says his taran tactical's won't work with his magwell b/c the pin presses against the magwell.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:52:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: great308] [#10]
Yes those are taran +6 extensions and they do have the pin in the back that keeps them from coming off the magazine body.

The magwell is made by steel city arsenal and decided it over a zev cause it was somewhat the same style design, well made, comes in 3 colors, and only $70 shipped vs almost $100 for zev. I don't know about the zev but this magwell has a cutout that the pin fits into so it does not interfere with he magazine extension.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes those are taran +6 extensions and they do have the pin in the back that keeps them from coming off the magazine body.

The magwell is made by steel city arsenal and decided it over a zev cause it was somewhat the same style design, well made, comes in 3 colors, and only $70 shipped vs almost $100 for zev. I don't know about the zev but this magwell has a cutout that the pin fits into so it does not interfere with he magazine extension.
View Quote

That's a good looking well!   If I didn't already have a zev, I'd give that one a shot!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Any idea if that magwell will work with Vickers base pads?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ianq:

View Quote

They do not.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: great308] [#14]

View All Quotes

I'll look when I get home. I'll take a picture with a stock glock mag in it so the clearance can be seen. I don't have a Vickers base but will put a picture up anyways. My inclination would be they won't work with the SCA magwell ether.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#15]

That's a good looking well!   If I didn't already have a zev, I'd give that one a shot!
View All Quotes

Yeah I thought so too, it's darn comfortable and well made for sure. +1 for steel city arsenal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:

They do not.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/737/32048837066_37bc22a4dd_c.jpg
View Quote

Too bad, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Justinss] [#17]
Why is it posting a link to the pic?

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#18]
My g19 mos I got off the EE
I just added RMR

Kind wish I noticed the trigger guard was rounded. I LOVE how stock trigger guards look. Oh well I guess I'm stuck with it

May have to add a Magwell since it had one and looks like something is missing. Gun has a weird guide rod that is spiraled and looks like stainless with rust. May put an original in it

Other than that like it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock 17 with 19 grip chop and double undercut.

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]
This is my first attempt at stippling and my first stippled gun.  I like it.  I'm going to pick up a Dremel today to do the borders.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Working on the frame while I wait on the slide to come in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dade_shooter:
http://i.imgur.com/6rSBSBo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DFquyFH.jpg

Working on the frame while I wait on the slide to come in.
View Quote

I like that.  What tip did you use on the iron?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]
The small rounded one I just moved around in semi circles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#24]

First time doing a double undercut on my Glock...pretty pleased how it came out.  Decided to use Talon Grips instead of stippling.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]

What magwell on the top right glock?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LeonC:

What magwell on the top right glock?
View Quote
Looks to be a Zev pro
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
My G41 with groove removal and undercut. Talon grips with a custom front strap provides grip for now. still contemplating stipple.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Clean^

Did Talon make those for you or did you cut and piece it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Clean^

View Quote
I'd like a Talon grip like that. I want to grind off my grip bumps but don't know if I'm ready to stipple.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#30]
Had fun doing it, but not sure I like it.  Probably won't do another.  The mag extension started life as a Pearce +2.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Clean^

View Quote
I bought a sheet of their material and made my own front strap section. I cut the finger groove strips off a set of normal talon grips, i applied the front strap section i made first and then overlapped the grips on both sides. I used this gun at an ASI match last weekend and it worked great.

Picture thread
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
FDE Glock 26 I finished up last weekend.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
Had fun doing it, but not sure I like it.  Probably won't do another.  The mag extension started life as a Pearce +2.

View Quote
Prep work is key in my opinion.  You can't just go burning holes in stuff and expect it to come out great.  You need to remove some material first.  When you start melting you're displacing plastic outward, making your grip larger.  So it's best if you reduce the size first.

Also, it looks like you burned your holes a little too deep and didn't use a random pattern. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dade_shooter:
FDE Glock 26 I finished up last weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/OrWI27m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pSFenhn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/i7JhlAJ.jpg
View Quote
Legit!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Undercut and stippled two frames yesterday...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Will soon have a MOS slide and red dot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pep9] [#37]
Wanna smooth out the finger groove , front area , all gen3 models. Do you guys demel or melt/heat the area down. I don't wanna thin out the area & compromise the frame so I wanted to ask the hive.

Thanks , Pep
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#38]
no, no melting.  You need to grind, Dremel, sand the grooves off.  Plenty of material there.  Thousands of them have been done.  I prefer the flap wheel for my Dremel for the easiest takedown I've found.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pep9:

Wanna smooth out the finger groove , front area , all gen3 models. Do you guys demel or melt/heat the area down. I don't wanna thin out the area & compromise the frame so I wanted to ask the hive.

Thanks , Pep
View Quote
I used a 1x30 belt sander from harbor freight with a 200 grit belt.  smoothed them down very easily, and i could roll the grip agains the slack in the belt and ensure i got the proper contour on the front strap of the grip.  Took <20 minutes.

I also did a heat-gun grip reduction on the back strap (Gen 3 19). Having done both sand/grind and heat I would say any time there is enough material to go the sanding route.  Much better control over the process.  Heat gun made me nervous -- didn't mess anything up, but just didn't like that process.   Pics to come soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys ,

I haven't figured out how to attach pics now , use to post pics before. I used my dremel & it came out pretty good , like it in the hand.

Thanks again , Pep
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys, I'm about to get started stippling. I was wondering why some folks don't stipple the top of the back strap?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trooper0007] [#43]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Hey guys, I'm about to get started stippling. I was wondering why some folks don't stipple the top of the back strap?
View Quote
Sissy hands....   I did mine, doesn't bother me.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree with the others; excellent job!! If that's your fist go at it, you obviously have an innate skill for stippling! :-)

I like the basket-weave look best of all when it comes to stippling. I may get up the nerve to try in on one of my Glock 19s at some point. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File
Well, there's no turning back now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20170402-215113-179795.JPGWell, there's no turning back now.
View Quote
Looks good!  I HATE those finger grooves and won't shoot a pistol that has 'em anymore.

I shot a prepped for stipple 17 for a couple of months and a 22 grit finish is like shark skin when it's wet.  Better than any stipple, but it's kinds slick when it's dry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File
For a first attempt, I think it turned out pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#48]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20170403-110522-179959.JPGFor a first attempt, I think it turned out pretty well.
View Quote
I like it
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: strangejames] [#49]

wow, Agency.
They actually patented the accelerator cuts
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By strangejames:
http://i.imgur.com/yWoZDun.jpg

wow, Agency.
They actually patented the accelerator cuts
View Quote
That won't hold up in court.  Plenty of places were doing accelerator cuts before Agency even existed.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top