Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2001 6:34:10 AM EDT
So just what's so special about a Glock anyway?

I am a long time S/W user. Someone please enlighten me.

Mikie
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my Smiths too...Just about anything else is OK too. I avoided all Glocks till a short while ago, myself. All I can say is, with factory ammo, they keep going and going. No hammer to snag. No safety to forget. Point and click. I dont shoot Glocks as well as some others and the full-cap mags are priced outta site. I own a few of 'em and still dont care for the fat plastic front sight, minimal slide stop, sharp open butt. I find the trigger safety to protrude too far into finger to be comfortable when firing. Some hate 'em, some love 'em, I'm middle of the road.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Ready to rokk outta the box. No need to spend more on tuning than what you paid for the pistol. Factory sights do sukk (flimsy), but you need night sights anyway...

Glocks are the AK of pistols. Treat them like shit and they still run. Just don't give 'em re-loads and you prolly won't ever have a problem. Put an aftermarket non-polygonal rifled barrel in there and you won't have any worries.

BIG plus IMO is the finish. I can't recall ever hearing of rust on a Glock.

I also like the big grip. I have big hands and a 1911 feels like holding a pencil.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]
You can take them through metal detector`s
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Lightweight, reliable, accurate, no saftey to worry about, virtually indestructable, and the stock barrels are supposed to give an increase in velocity over the same length barrels in other pistols. Plus they are but ugly. That is what makes them so great. You can concentrate on using the gun and not worry about messing up your designer guns.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
1. It works !
2. It's simple to operate and maintain
3. It's a pleasure to carry due to its light weight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no external safety to kill you.

They are very accurate.

They feed, fire and extract each and every time.

They are simple to maintain.

They are concealable and light.

Bottom line...All around great handguns!

The military didn't accept them for testing because the firing pin can not re-strike a chambered round. One has to manually cycle the slide to cock the striker. If the design was different it would not be a Glock. If the ammo does it's job, your Glock will not let you down. My Glock 23 has gone bang each and every time, no failures at all after approximately 5,000 rounds.

If I had to limit myself to one handgun (cripes!) I'd keep my Glock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They're dishwasher safe?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They're dishwasher safe?

I'm sorry.  They are a very reliable handgun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You can take them through metal detector`s

That's a load of B.S.

The slide and barrel have much more metal in them than a set of keys.  If you could take a Glock through a metal detector do you think hijackers would settle for box cutters?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
jsprag, He was kidding.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
jsprag, He was kidding.

That's even worse.  Rather than repeat statements like that we should work to eliminate or correct them.  Giving people false impressions is a sure way to get a gun banned.  

Most people who visit this site would know better than to think you could get a Glock through a metal detector, but some don't and it isn't in our best interests to mislead them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
jsprag, He was kidding.

That's even worse.  Rather than repeat statements like that we should work to eliminate or correct them.  Giving people false impressions is a sure way to get a gun banned.  

Most people who visit this site would know better than to think you could get a Glock through a metal detector, but some don't and it isn't in our best interests to mislead them.

I`m sorry sir I will keep all the jokes on the
GD fourm .

Oh yeah means someone is jokeing. Hehe
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If you haven't already, go to Glock's website.
www.glock.com/pistols.htm
After you go there, take a look at one of the other pages on that site
www.glock.com/advantage.htm

Here are a couple of my personal favorite reasons for owning my two Glocks, both gleaned from the above link

"Safe Action" System
The GLOCK pistol's Safe Action trigger system offers you several very distinct benefits over conventional trigger systems. First, you can choose from several trigger pulls. Second, the trigger is the one and only operative control. Third, is the smooth and consistent pull you feel every time you squeeze the trigger. It makes training much easier because each and every shot feels exactly the same. It also makes a firearm safe.

High-Impact Resistant Polymer
The frame on a GLOCK handgun is made out of a synthetic that is actually stronger than steel, yet 86% lighter. It's virtually indestructible. A GLOCK pistol can withstand temperatures ranging from -40°C (-40 F) to +70°C (+158 F) and still come out firing.

Tenifer Process
The metal components on a GLOCK are practically indestructable. That's because they're finished with a unique surface treatment called Tenifer that makes those parts virtually as hard as a diamond. It is even more corrosion resistant than stainless steel.

I can one-up Rifleshooter. If I could only have one gun of ANY KIND, it would be a Glock!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#14]

I`m sorry sir I will keep all the jokes on the
GD fourm .

Oh yeah means someone is jokeing. Hehe

I did not know the little squirrely eye thing symbolized an joke.  

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive about the issue.  I see so many falsehoods, misconceptions, and outright lies about firearms in the media and it aggravates me to see them ignorantly repeated over and over.  I wrongly assumed that was the case here.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand how you feel jsprag, the media and many people just in the general population are truely ignorant about guns.  We are the choir here and there is little preaching that should be directed at us.  On these sites you are more likely to find heated arguments about 1911 vs. Glock or AR-15 vs. Ak-47.  Glad to have you as a member and please feel free to post on all your opinions that is what this forum is for.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot a Glock in .40 SW a few months ago for the first time, hell its the first time Id even held one. Ive got two Berettas and getting ready to get another and all Ive got to say is I liked the sight picture. I was able to shoot a tighter group with it then my Beretta 96 that Ive had for about 6 years. The trigger pull was really nice but its a damn ugly pistol, maybe if it came in a double action version Id give one a chance to come home with me!

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Dollar for Dollar Glock one of the Best Out there. Walther is another, HS2000 might be considered as one too, there are a lot of brands out there that deliver for the dollar. Sorry to say it but HK is not one of them. And I own one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My glock 22 was a POS.  I will say it was an early 40 s&w purchased in July 1992.  It was inaccurate and unreliable and glocks customer service was miserable.  It was a duty gun and their turn around time for repair was several months.  I replaced it with a Ruger GP100 .357 revolver.  I've shot Glocks owned by my agency and they seem to work well enough but I've been forever turned against trusting them.  I suppose it may have been the lemon or just bad luck but their customer service was the icing on the rotten cake.  My current duty pistol is a SIG P220.  It aint perfect but it goes bang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top