Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2002 6:28:04 PM EDT
I had my Glock 19 at the range with factory 10 rd mag.  I don't get to the range regularly yet.
The gun is less than two years old, 2nd time to the range, thoroughly cleaned after last outing.
Ammo was Wally World Winchester FMJ flat nosed. Didn't think to keep the box.

Mags were left loaded for the last few months of last year.

The last round would hit the bottom of the feed ramp and stop the slide cold. Bullet nose fed in too low and the flat nose would stop against the ramp. Push on slide, no go. Return slide to rear, release and it goes into battery. This happened twice in fifty rounds, same mag.

Also I've got a thirty round aftermarket frankenmag that must have been made way out of spec, it jams both g19 and g17 just about every round. Is there any hope for it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering the information in your post, I would humbly suggest a new factory magazine, or a borrowed factory mag that has been kept unloaded, with a "fresh" spring.
Please keep us (me) posted about this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Try here.www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/

These guys have the best price. $16.00 on Klinton Mags and if you order over $25.00 shipping is Free.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Comming from an "ammo guy" point of view, I would say try different ammo.  Glocks should handle pretty much anything.  I would avoid the flat nose ammo.  I would also avoid Winchester USA brand, too underloaded in 9mm for IMHO.

I am not saying not to check the mag, but the many times gun failures are ammo related.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have thought that most any factory magazine would last more that a few months fully loaded. I dont think the police unload them all after every shift either? I have a 2nd generation 19 and the factory 10 works fine, left loaded, as do some older 15 and 17s. I did have a new CZ-85 Combat that did the same thing. With the reputation of the CZ, I was stumped.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't have much to say about it soon, being as I am packing for my move to Nevada and this range trip was my daughters long awaited birthday outing. I'm more perplexed than anything, being as I bought the glock for it's legendary reliability and here I take a relatively new gun, it's mag, and new factory ammo, and I get a 4 %(2 ftf x 50 rds) failure rate, and a 40% failure recurrence (2 last round ftf out of five mag loads) out of the stupid thing. Last time out, I had all the mags and function checked all of them, the thirty rd steel had obvious problems but everything else timexed, with hp and ball btw..
This time I brought only the one mag because I thought that was all needed under the circumstances and I wanted my daughter to shoot and load as part of the experience. Next time there will be a row of loaded mags, hopefully all prebans lined up at the Nevada shooting range only a few miles from my place.
I'm not too worried about the low pressures of the ammo for target shooting, but it now occurs to me that a combination of events may have contributed. I had told her about limpwristing and that a firm grip was  called for. She did well but the secondary shell deflector was employed a few times. So maybe a loose wrist and low pressure round may have combined to short stroke the slide and a partially weakened mag spring at the end of its travel wasn't enough to push the round far enough up in time to keep the flat nose from catching on the feed ramp?

I guess with glock there aren't many common problems.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately, post-ban 9mm Glock magazines have developed a reputation for occasionally being unreliable.  A lot of people blame the followers and have had good success swapping the stock post-ban followers with either 9mm1 or 9mm3 followers.  The post-ban mags in the other calibers seem to work fine as-is, but for some reason Glock dropped the ball when converting the 9mm mags to 10 round capacity.

The NFML or FML pre-ban Glock mags (including 9mm) are ultra reliable.  They are also the least expensive to obtain.  Don't waste a dime on aftermarket mags 99% of them are junk as you found out.  Just get yourself some pre-ban G19 mags and don't worry about malfunctions again Axel.

EDITED because I didn't see that Axel lived in occupied territory.  Sorry Axel.  I'd do the 9mm1/9mm3 follower swap in your case.  You should have 100% functioning if you do that.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this only with HP ammo off of bags     if I dont have a firm wrist. I have left my Glock 10 rounders loaded for months and not had a problem.

FWIW

Lee
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I live in occupied territory, for now!

Can you explain what a 9mm1 or 9mm3 follower is? WAHM? Living in the land of fruits and nuts they wouldn't be +1 or +3?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have left my Glock 10 rounders loaded for months and not had a problem.

FWIW

Lee

That's good to hear.  I may be wasting time unloading to reduce stress on the springs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope, they're not denoting +1 or +3.  Those are the floorplate extenders.  What I meant by 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers is the type of follower at the top of the mag that were used in NFML and FML pre-ban mags.  They have the normal curve to them as opposed to the flat post-ban 9mm follower.  The good ones actually have 9mm1 or 9mm3 stamped into the follower.  I wouldn't suggest buying new post-ban Glock 19 mags because they might just do the same thing, as they will have the flat post-ban 9mm followers.  I don't have any right in front of me but I think the bad ones are stamped 7101-1 or something to that effect.

Go to www.glockmeister.com, they explain the various magazine differences fairly well.  Also, they sell replacement followers which are pretty inexpensive (a couple bucks).  Just swap out the current followers for 9mm3 followers and I'd bet all your functioning/feeding problems disappear completely.

Spend a few bucks to make your post-ban mags workable now, then when you move to Nevada, get a hold of some pre-ban NFML or FML mags and... problem solved!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Kewl, thanks. Now for a few minutes when the wife isn't watching...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
While we are talking about Glock19 10 rounders, I have a ?
When I do a speed reload (slide locked open) sometimes when I slam that mag home my slide slams shut, thankfully chambering a round.
The gun is a little over a year old and I had a G26 at the same time that never did this.
I was taking a handgun course when this started happening and my instructor was not terribly fond of this, since I was not having to manipulate my slide release the way he was training us to do it.
After examining things as I inserted a mag I noticed that the slide jumped a little upon full insertion.
I discovered that the polymer material by the front of the left feed lip was hitting the slide and making it move enough for the slide lock to disengage, this happened with both mags.
A little work with a file did the trick, but I have one that needs a bit more work.
Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Lee
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked both factory mags and sure enough, I got a case of flat followers. Thanks  for the input guys.

Just to stir things up, has anyone ever seen that patent by a couple of isreali's where they describe how to carry a glock with one in the tube uncocked? You have to diassemble it to get the round in the chamber and when you need it, rack the slide a half inch to cock the action.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
nailbender - Although none of my Glocks slam the slide down upon forceful insertion of a magazine, I have heard other people complain about that.  Some people have said it is supposed to do that for speed of reloading, but I'm not sure.  I don't think it presents any hazard as far as the pistol is concerned as the firing pin safety and the other passive safeties are engaged at that point, but remember to always keep your trigger finger outside the trigger guard until on target (as you already know).

Axel - What those Israelis said is very easy to do.  I'm not sure it's safe however as the passive safeties may not be engaged unless the action is cocked.  All you do is remove the slide and barrel, put a live round in the chamber, then replace the slide and barrel, only to the point where the slide catch engages.  Not so far that the action cocks.  This allows for a loaded chamber without a cocked action, easily cocked by racking the slide about an inch.  Again, my guess is that this is not safe to do.  If dropped, the firing pin could strike the primer hard enough to fire the round.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top