Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2003 4:12:25 PM EDT
Waiting any day now for my pistol license. I've read the manual, and that I can only carry to and from the range, is this correct or am I understanding it wrong,it seems like everyone carries all the time(at least in all the posts I read on here)
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:18:23 PM EDT
I'm not sure what a pistol license means in NY, but in UT you need a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm all the time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:40:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dodgeram:
...it seems like everyone carries all the time(at least in all the posts I read on here)

That's because so many of us live in free states instead of fascist police ones (j/k - I'm originally from the Bronx and still bitter ).

Seriously, you might want to check on the Hometown/NY boards to see about the details in your area. Here in CO, you pay your $152.50, you pass your background check and you get your carry permit. Nothing needed just to own and transport 'em and - *in theory* - open carry is legal (if not always well-advised).

Not bad but not Vermont or Alaska... yet....
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:17:57 PM EDT
Most of us live in "Shall Issue" states meaning that if you pass a background check and a safety class (at least those are the requirememnts here in Michigan, they vary from state to state) you can get a permit to carry concealed 24/7. To get one in NY you usually have to be a celebrity or grease the right palms (sad but true) to get a CCW. Without a CCW the general rule for transporting a firearm is unloaded, in a locked case, out of the drivers reach (in the trunk or hatch if it is in a car or behind the seat in a pick-up) and the ammo has to be stored seperately (ie glovebox). DO NOT carry the gun in the passenger compartment of a car with a trunk without a CCW as this contitues the weapon being within the drivers reach and even if it is unloaded and locked in a case, you will still get busted for a weapons violation
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:50:37 AM EDT
goto Packing.org and look up what the story on NY is.

Yes, I'm in a Free(r) state - Pennsylvania, and I carry all the time I know I'm staying in state.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:23:17 PM EDT
here you can carry a pistol anytime if in a vehicle and pulled over have it unloaded and the pistol in the open ( or in a real damn good hidin place;) ) never know when ya get searched and these cop more croaked then the backwoods roads here. but round here ya can always tell who has a pistol cause everyone with one its in a boot... just look for cowboy boots and a bulge and you found the gun. mine i would hide in inner coat,, either pocket of the coat already made or a self made pocket... but i got used to carryin throwin knifes and learning my body and the limits of it... had pistol pulled twice on me both times i took it away and beat the guy till the handles fell off
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:51:13 PM EDT
A good IWB holster will beat that self made pocket in terms of a speedy positive draw any day and be just as concealed.

If you feel the need for a back up gun, nothing wrong with pockets in my veiw for a little Seecamp/KelTec type semi-auto or lightweight snubbie, although I'd still have a pocket holster to keep snagging out of the picture.
Top Top