Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2003 10:20:02 AM EDT
getting my CCP soon, curious as to the preference here
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
NEITHER ............ I prefer an open top holster with no locking devices.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
i don't think i got across well what i was talking about, i meant a holster like this

as opposed to this
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
No strap.  But.........I like an open top leather for CCW.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Your carry pistol is a: single action (1911 or HiPower type), double action (SIG, Beretta, etc.), or striker fired (Glock, etc.)?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Word
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Self retention is the way to go IMO. Leather fitted to a specific gun. Self retention is caused by the belt pulling the holster tight against the body. As the holster flexes to form around your hip, this presses laterally on the holstered pistol.

Bigger version:
www.citlink.net/~lmiller/alessi03big.jpg

This is a Lou Alessi ACP/s Black Bullshark holster I recently got. You could hang upside down and there is no way the gun would fall out. Yet, it is easy to draw.
Milt Sparks is another top notch holster maker.
I'd get a strap on a low quality holster.

Milt Sparks Improved Baker
For CCW, thumb breaks are useless since no one should know you have the wapon to attempt a snatch.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Word

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]
When you're trying to draw from concealment, you already need to brush the jacket/vest/shirt away from the weapon.  Why have anything additional for the fabric to catch on?

Open top, my friend, with a GOOD QUALITY holster.  Holsters can be expensive, but how much is your LIFE worth to you?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the open top type holster.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I am relatively new to the CCW arena but I would say what is most important is what you are comfortable carrying. If an open topped holster is faster but you are uncomfortable carrying an unsecured pistol than it is a bad choice. Remember #2 rule - "bring a gun" (I think #1 rule is "don't be in one") so if you have some fancy ass $200 holster sitting at home it ain't gonna do you as much good as a $20 Walmart special on your person. I would say go to the "holster store" and ask if you can try out a few different holsters. Then pick the one that is most comfortable with your pistol.

BTW - I carry in one of these:

It is a Bianchi 100 (? I am pretty sure but not 100%) and cost about $50. It functions well, is comfortable, and is cheaper, which judging by your age and avatar is an important thing because your are a college student. If you are a college student this is also a little more convenient because it is not as laborious to put on as many of the other holsters. It is a simple clip on which is nice when you can only carry for short periods of time in certain areas (only matters if your college is antigun I guess). I like it cause I can conveniently "toss it on" if I head out at night. Sounds stupid I know but the main thing you need to do for a CCW to be effective is carry the pistol, and if you have to fumble with some snaps or remove your belt each time you put on or remove the holster that becomes less likely.

Good luck on getting your CCW.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I generally recommend against using a holster that uses spring clips.  Exceptions are made for Alessi's "Talon" clip, and a couple that come back up under the bottom edge of your belt.  It does NOT make you happy when you go to pull your piece, and you wind up pointing a holster at the bad guy.

FIST, Milt Sparks, and Rosen all make holsters with snap belt loops which are almost as convenient, but many times more secure than clips.

FIST is less expensive, and a good holster, but Sparks, Alessi, Kramer, and Rosen are much higher quality.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I am one who doesn't care for straps to secure the weapon. If you get a good holster, sans strap, you should be able to insert the pistol and turn the holster upside down, shake the holster, and the holster retain the handgun. If it falls out look for another holster. Regards, Richard:D

PS You will also need a good belt that is designed for handgun carry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Another reason i don't care for thunbreak holsters is the fact that the strap can get stuck in the trigger guard while re-holstering.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The only good use for a thumbreak on a holster, especially if it is IWB, is so there is a little more hold on the weapon when you ride if you are a biker.  Usually when on a bike I prefer a shoulder rig under my leather.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/VM-2_large.jpg

Don't argue with Milt Sparks leather!

That's my vote.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#17]
First thing I would say is don't believe the hoopla about you have to spend 10% of the guns price to get a good holster.  If you buy a $600-$1000 gun this is probably a good rule.  If you've been saving your beer money for the last 10 years to buy the $3000 Custom 1911 super mega reliable, .05" at 200 yd accurate, fights your gunfights for you blaster.  Then I would say this is not true.  You may want to spend $300 dollars on a BBQ holster to show off that blaster but for a concealed rig all the pretty stuff is just plain stupid nobody is going to see it.  $50-$75 gets you into the good holster makers good holsters.  $75-$100 gets you into the great holster makers good holsters.  All that said I carry in a really beat up ugly blade-tech IWB I can adjust the tension and you'd be suprised how comfortable kydex is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Since it wasn't in the poll................

...........yet another vote for sans retention devices.

Refer to obvious reasons stated in prior posts.  :-)
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
So? What did you get?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
kpel308, Alessi's Talon clips are not designed to go over the belt. The Talon is design to attach to the waistband of the pants. Try it. It makes for a lot better carry. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So? What did you get?

gonna give this one a try (for a XD)

its a Hume open top paddle
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
kpel308, Alessi's Talon clips are not designed to go over the belt. The Talon is design to attach to the waistband of the pants. Try it. It makes for a lot better carry. Regards, Richard:D

I would, if I could afford one!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
No "suicide strap" for me!  Saw it called that once by a gun owner because he claimed it's an easy way to commit suicide--reach for a gun you can't get to easily.  

While you're messing around trying to get jacket/shirt/thumbstrap out of the way, the goblin's going to be aerating your cardiovascular system.

The only thumbreaks I have on holsters are for open-carry field holsters.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I tired a thumb-break holster on my Beretta 92FS for about a year.  I never did like it as it slowed the draw and was a royal pain on reholsterings.  I have since gone to open top, friction hold holsters for all of my IWB's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top