Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:25:13 PM EDT
House and Senate Override Governor Sebelius' Veto:
Kansas Passes Right-to-Carry!

(Fairfax, VA) - Both the Kansas State Senate and House of Representatives voted to override Governor Sebelius' veto of the National Rifle Association (NRA)-backed Right-to-Carry legislation, Senate Bill 418, "The Personal and Family Protection Act."

"After 12 years, it took a collective, bi-partisan effort to win this fight.  Kansas now joins 46 other states who enjoy some form of Right-to-Carry," NRA Chief Lobbyist Chris W. Cox declared.

The Kansas State Senate voted 30 to 10 to override Governor Sebelius' veto of the Right-to-Carry legislation.  Less than a day later, the Kansas House of Representative voted 91-33 to sustain the override.

Cox continued, "We want to recognize the steadfast support of several state leaders.  Without their hard work, Kansans would still be deprived of this valuable law.  Senator Phil Journey, Representative Candy Ruff, and Representative Gary Hayzlett worked tirelessly on this measure and we thank them."

Kansas becomes the 47th state with some form of Right-to-Carry.  There are now three states that do not allow any form of Right-to-Carry; Nebraska, Illinois and Wisconsin have yet to pass such self-defense legislation.

"As always, we appreciate the commitment and participation of our members in Kansas for helping pass this legislation and helping override the Governor's veto of this self-defense law," concluded Cox.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
w00t!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's about time!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
When will this go into effect?  And...what is the prospect for reciprocity for Colorado CCW permits?

I travel from Colorado to Illinois (and bacK) once or twice a year, and my Colorado CCW is valid in Missouri, but not Kansas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When will this go into effect?  And...what is the prospect for reciprocity for Colorado CCW permits?

I travel from Colorado to Illinois (and bacK) once or twice a year, and my Colorado CCW is valid in Missouri, but not Kansas.

July of 2006 sticks in my mind.  Not sure about the reciprocity, I'd be interested both ways.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Law goes into effect July 1, 2006 (my birthday), but the state has 6 months to start issuing permits; meaning they must have started by Jan 1, 2007.  Not all the details on reciprocity have been worked out yet, but it's probably safe to say that if you have a permit issued in a state who's laws are as strict or stricter you will be able to carry in KS.  This six months the state has to issue permits means that it is likely out of state residents w. CCW permits will probably be able to carry in KS even before KS residents themselves.  At least this is what I gather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

or New Mexico?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
and...

CONGRATULATIONS!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
and...

CONGRATULATIONS!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I love hearing this, everytime another state passes RTC it only puts more pressure on those states that refuse to.

So what are we up tp now 39 states that have Shall Issue?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
47 down. 3 to go.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top