Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 4:20:12 AM EDT
Been reading on CCW, and this came up.
The qualification is 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 7 yards, and 24 rounds at 25 yards. You need a score of 70% or higher to pass.

What is 70%
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
points total.

i seriously doubt that you can fail the proficiency part of the course unless intentionally. bring a pistol you are comfortable with and in good working condition.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Translated.  Can you hit the broad side of a barn?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I took a class in Jackson tn, at the start of feb, and we did not shoot anywhere near 25 yards 12-15 yrds was about as far as we shot from. We shot b-27 siloute targets If I recall correctly you had to get 38 out of 48 hits in the black (anywhere in  the siloute). I might be wrong on the number, as I was not really worried because I have no problem keeping them in that size target. If you failed the instuctor would let you shoot another 48 rounds, this could continue till you passed. like was said earlier if you can hit the broad side of a barn. IF you shoot with any regularity you should pass easily, there were some people in our class shooting guns they had never shot before and others had not shot in three years, our instuctors attitude was he worked for us and wanted us to pass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think its only 15 yards. 25 yards seems 2 far.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
a LEGALLY BLIND man in AZ qualified a few years ago.  Unless you've never fired a gun before, you shouldn't have any problem
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
sabre,

The TN State Handgun Carry Permit qualification course requires 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 7 yards, and 26 rounds at 15 yards.  As long as 35 of those 50 rounds hit within a man-sized silouhette, you're good to go.

I'm an NRA certified Pistol Instructor and in the process of getting my TN Dept. of Safety Carry Permit Instructor certification.  I'm actually teaching my first Carry Permit class this coming Saturday.

Frank
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Been reading on CCW, and this came up.
The qualification is 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 7 yards, and 24 rounds at 25 yards. You need a score of 70% or higher to pass.

What is 70%

70% of 48 total rounds is 33.6 So we'll say that 70% of 48 is 34. Of course its going to depend on what the point system is. The above calculation is for total rounds only, i dont know the point breakdown you'll be using.

Edited to Add: If OEF_Vet is correcth than you would need the 35 rounds as he stated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info
What part of TN are you teaching at?
I am also wanting to get my carry permit.
thanks
bg
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
sabre,

I'll be teaching at Academy of Self Protection, aka The Joelton Gun Shop.  It's in Joelton, at I-24, exit 35.

I believe the state standard is actually 48 rounds, but many, if not most, instructors just have their students shoot 50.  (Seventy percent of 50 is easier to compute than 70% of 48.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top