Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:19 AM EDT
I have two questions about business owner carry/conceal.

My wife and her family own an Animal Clinic (In GA)and I am concerned due to the fact that she is by herself for 3 hrs (in the morn and at night) with large amounts of cash. She isn't in the best part of town, also. She also makes weekly runs by herself to the bank with cash. She has a gun (beretta .40) with her in the car, but doesn't carry it on herself or in her purse.

As a business owner can she keep a gun with her anywhere in the business without a special permit?

I heard there was a special permit you can get if you own/run a business and carry large amounts of money. Should she get this or a regular carry/conceal permit?

Thanks for taking the time to help and read!

-Adam
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:40:52 AM EDT
I'm not an attorney, but I'd say you can have a gun in any property that you own or lease with no problems(unless your local laws are different).

As to a permit, the business owner part would just be a reason for her to qualify for a permit if necessary. Some places that are not a "shall" issue, provide special reasons(ie: business owner who carries lots of cash) for people to qualify for a CCW.

See if she wants a permit(hopefully yes), pay for some kind of training(cya for her/you and her business) and let her pick a gun that she can carry on her person. A gun in the car/truck or office doesn't help when she's walking across the parking lot.

Again, i'm not an attorney so check you local laws first.

Start by going to www.packing.org and calling your local law enforcement office.

Good luck,
Steve
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:00:53 AM EDT
I just referenced my handy dandy Oklahoma book, and your wife would be good to go out here.

Oklahoma Self-Defense Act

Title 21, Oklahoma Statutes, Section 1290.1 (Jan 27, 2005)

Title 21, Section 1290.22 Business Owner's Rights

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:57:06 AM EDT
Quick check on www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=GA, indicates not a problem in GA.

It also would seem a permit is not a big thing there either. I would go for the permit rather than try to skate on a technicality.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:29:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 4:04:57 PM EDT by TBoneDetroit]
Ga was one of the earlier "shall issue" states if memory serves. Of course the question re: business premises would be based on state and local laws. Packing.org and your hometown forum here could be good sources for info on that. But why not get the "maximum feedom allowed by law" (now that sound onerous, don't it!). Get the permit. Both of you! As a bonus, they/ll probably require a class which will teach you about any prohibited areas (a freind told me IIRC that one can't carry where they serve alcohol.... this is really old info I'm drawing on though).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:22:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:
(a freind told me IIRC that one can't carry where they serve alcohol.... this is really old info I'm drawing on though).

That could differ from state to state. Some states may only prohibit you from carrying where the sale of alcohol is the primary means of business. (ie if you go into a TGI Friday's, they don't make all of their money off alcohol sales). However, if the "bar area" of a restaurant is separate from the general seating area, this could be an area in which you are not authorized to carry. As always, Check your local laws.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:52:56 PM EDT
Get a full permit and then no worries for her! You should have your's also.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:23:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:26:34 PM EDT by Graziani]
You could have gotten a lot more replies in GA forum Meet fellow people.

Here:
Hometown GA Forum

As a business owner can she keep a gun with her anywhere in the business without a special permit? Yes, that's correct.

I heard there was a special permit you can get if you own/run a business and carry large amounts of money. Should she get this or a regular carry/conceal permit?

Didn't hear about the business permit. But regular GA Firearms License will be the way to go and best $47-50 bucks spent for 5 years. What county does the business operate in? I'd also say add a pepper spray (Fox Lab Five Point Three) to avoid the fatal option. (

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:24:48 PM EDT
And I forgot to greet, Welcome to Arfcom!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:49:14 AM EDT
Thanks for the greets and all the good information!!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:09:24 AM EDT
I've decided to go for the Taurus .357 and Fox Pepper spray. Gonna get her a permit next week!!

Thanks to everyone!!

Adam
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:00:19 PM EDT
Glad we could help with your decision. Keep asking questions and welcome again!
Top Top