Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2006 5:16:41 PM EDT
I just got my carry license in the mail and I was hoping that it was going to come with a book on the laws in PA but it didnt. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff online? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:28:48 AM EDT
packing.org
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By billclo:
packing.org

+1

www.packing.org/state/pennsylvania/
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:34 AM EDT
It boils down to: You can carry concealed anywhere in PA except a Courtroom, a state park, and Federal facilities that are covered by the Federal ban on carrying guns there. Private property owners can also ban carrying on their property, but the only thing they can do is make you leave. One final weird quirk is you cannot carry any gun, open or concealed, while using a spotlight to look for game animals.

You can open carry anywhere but Philadelphia, and in the above mentioned no-gun areas.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:38:37 AM EDT by pyro6988]

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:
One final weird quirk is you cannot carry any gun, open or concealed, while using a spotlight to look for game animals.

Actually that is a game law enforced the Game Commisson. That law also says that you can't even have a bow in the trunk when spot lighting deer. I would not hessitate to fight it if you got sited for having a concealed handgun while spot lighting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:25:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pyro6988:

One final weird quirk is you cannot carry any gun, open or concealed, while using a spotlight to look for game animals.

Actually that is a game law enforced the Game Commisson. That law also says that you can't even have a bow in the trunk when spot lighting deer. I would not hessitate to fight it if you got sited for having a concealed handgun while spot lighting.

True, but it is still a law on the books. PA has a lot of goofy game laws, but very few goofy gun laws.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:16:48 PM EDT

It boils down to: You can carry concealed anywhere in PA except a Courtroom, a state park, and Federal facilities that are covered by the Federal ban on carrying guns there. Private property owners can also ban carrying on their property, but the only thing they can do is make you leave. One final weird quirk is you cannot carry any gun, open or concealed, while using a spotlight to look for game animals.

You can open carry anywhere but Philadelphia, and in the above mentioned no-gun areas.

From what I've read online it's legal to open carry in Philly if the county you were issued allows open-carry, but you've gotta be a complete fucking moron to do it! I would never, that's for sure. Philly is evil.

Btw if you hit up barnes and nobles you can probably find a PA gun carry book. My neighbor gave me one from 96 that covers general info.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:29:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sysfailur:

From what I've read online it's legal to open carry in Philly if the county you were issued allows open-carry, but you've gotta be a complete fucking moron to do it! I would never, that's for sure. Philly is evil.

Ive spoken to some Philly cops, and they have all said that if you open carry in Philly, you will be stopped by the cops and questioned. They all say not to do it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
PA Code Title 18, Section 6108:

Carry firearms on public street or public property in Philadelphia. No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
1. such person is licensed to carry a firearm
; or
2. such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

Upon closer reading of the statute law, it appears that one may open carry in Philly if one has a license to carry a firearm (CCW). I would expect the police to still look unkindly upon the act.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:40:58 PM EDT
Sorry to ask this but fellow Pennsylvanians: are you 100% POSITIVE open carry is kosher in our state? It's just that I literally have never seen anybody non-LEO open carrying. I live in Pittsburgh, so I've been in the city, suburbs and the first ring of the "country" areas. I'm not a fan of open carry, but I've always been careful not to flash, ie when reaching for an item in a store, taking off my coat at lunch, etc. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:35:55 PM EDT
Just stumbled over this
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:22:05 AM EDT
Personally, I wouldn't open carry off my property, even if it were legal. Too many ignorant cops out there, just waiting to hassle me. Now on my property, I do openly carry at times.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:31:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fritz1:
Just stumbled over this

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but how would you get your gun to a state that has a reciprocity agreement while going through ones in between that do not? I know some states don't allow guns in a car regardless of the condition (unloaded) am I correct?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:36:05 AM EDT

Just stumbled over this

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but how would you get your gun to a state that has a reciprocity agreement while going through ones in between that do not? I know some states don't allow guns in a car regardless of the condition (unloaded) am I correct?

Federal law allows the transport of firearms through communist areas as long as the gun is lawful at the destination.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:56:51 AM EDT
thanks I thought so but wasn't sure I need to find a print out from the ATF or something.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:16:43 AM EDT

You can carry in a state park. They like to say you can't but it's not against the law.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:

You can carry in a state park. They like to say you can't but it's not against the law.

Have you any documentation of this? My very close by State park has NO weapons stated very clearly in it's posted rules.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:27:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pbs357:
Sorry to ask this but fellow Pennsylvanians: are you 100% POSITIVE open carry is kosher in our state? It's just that I literally have never seen anybody non-LEO open carrying. I live in Pittsburgh, so I've been in the city, suburbs and the first ring of the "country" areas. I'm not a fan of open carry, but I've always been careful not to flash, ie when reaching for an item in a store, taking off my coat at lunch, etc. Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly I believe there is actually no law regarding open carry being illegal so that kinda says it is ok. Remember our license says License to carry a firearm, not concealed weapons permit. I have never seen anyone carrying openly in Pittsburgh either but you have to remember most people don't like open carry and especially not in the "big city". I have seen people open carry in more rural areas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 4:58:27 PM EDT by PAEBR332]

Originally Posted By clubsoda22:

Oh really. Then please explain 17 PA Code 11.215:

§ 11.215. Weapons and hunting.
The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the
Department:
<SNIP>
(3) Using a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is
capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph
(2) or (7). Paragraphs 2 and 7 deal with hunting, and with target shooting at a designated range.
(4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm,
archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a
projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's
building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle
or trailer.
(5) Failing to keep a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or
slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, in the owner's
building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence or in the owner's vehicle
or trailer
. <snip>

You should also look at Section 11.223:

§ 11.223. Violation of rules regarding conduct in State parks.
Engaging in activity prohibited under the following sections constitutes a
summary offense under section 7506 of the Crimes Code
(relating to violation of
rules regarding conduct on Commonwealth property):
<SNIP>
(8) Section 11.215 (relating to weapons and hunting).

Top Top