Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:20:37 PM EDT
I'm in Texas (Houston).

I was wondering if it was legal for me to openly carry (I don't yet have my CHL) as I'm walking around on the ranch. Would it be considered brandishing? Mind you, I might not be actually using the gun, but just walking around on the land.

There are some stray dogs that are of a concern to me sometimes.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Cannot say about the great state of Texas, but here it is perfectly legal to carry either openly OR CCW on ones own property...no license needed...and that includes your place of business, assuming you own the business.

Some of the Texans will be along presently to give you more specific advice, I'm sure.

+1. The same in AZ. You can also carry on other people's property without a CCW as long as you have the owner's permission, open carry in AZ is legal anyway and requires no permit. I think open carry in TX carries a bigger punishment than concealed in AZ without a permit. Try packing.org to double check
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Texas Law

PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on
or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who

(2) is on the person's own premises or premises under the person's
control unless the person is an employee or agent of the owner
of the premises and the person's primary responsibility is to act in the
capacity of a security guard to protect persons or property, in which
event the person must comply with Subdivision(5);

You may carry openly on your own property as you choose.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas. I need to open up my eyes when looking at packing.org.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top