Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:58 AM EDT
in terms of stopping power which is paramount in choosing my next ccw, the capacity is already there for both guns and reliablity is not an issue with glock, how do they compare in stopping power the .45 is a proven winner but alot of air marshals, numerous police departments and several federal law enforcement agencies have transitioned to the 357sig, help me out, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site , lay it on,thanks,hooahhug.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard many good things about the .357 Sig round, and have put some consideration into moving to this caliber (instead of .45ACP) as my ccw round; as I read all the raves and reviews, I noticed that law enforcement units like the round, particularly, due to its high penetration capability (through car doors and such) due to small size and high velocity.  In my thinking, for a private citizen's CCW purposes, that sort of penetration really shouldnt be necessary, and might become a liability in the event that you ever have to fire your weapon.

-tjg
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both.  I am hesitant to carry the .357.  I bought it for a plinker, more than anything.  I usually carry a Glock 30 or 26.  

.45  makes a big hole.  230 grains is heavy.  That is my junk science.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It's practically a religious debate --

I own a SIG in .357 SIG and I think very highly of the caliber.  It's a reliable feeder with excellent stopping power.  Think 9mm that hits way harder, that's essentially what it is.

You can find many stories about .357 sig being very effective, but I know the .45 crowd will tell you you're better off making a bigger hole.

This gets into the whole temporary vs permanent wound cavity, yadda yadda.

Do the .357 sig glocks have a fully supported chamber?  That round is pretty hot, pressure wise.  I'm no glock geek and have never shot that caliber in a glock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]

in terms of stopping power...

Among the traditional fighting calibers (9mm/.38 Spl and up) there isn't enough difference in effect to talk about.  Quit thinking about the non-existent stopping power debate and figure out which gun you can shoot accurately and carry comfortably.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top