Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, has this turned into a scary thread or what? I have received 4 different reactions to the same question, mostly contradicting each other & the best anyone can come up with is what txinvestigator said, about being "Reasonable". Everyone in this thread had their own idea on what is reasonable. Remember, that this whole situation probably starts and ends in about 15 seconds. What you do in between will affect your life forever.

Just goes to show that having a CCP is serious business that can easily place you on the wrong side of the law in a hurry. I will continue to carry however, and pray my gun never has to leave it's holser.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
This is very interesting. Most of the people on this forum probably have a reasonably good idea on when to brandish a firearm and they can't agree. Now imagine a jury that has no idea. These people are deciding your fate after a shooting. Scary huh?
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, let's see.......

You expect a courtroom answer without a real scenario. There is a big difference between a few sentence scenario and reality.

You are going to get different opinions from everyone you talk to......why is that?

We are ALL different. Size, weight, height, abilities, training, environment, experience, etc.

To expect a single common answer for a complex scenario is asking too much.

A prime example is a small frame woman like my wife. One guy attacks her and she could easily justify shooting him, yet a male would have a harder time in that same situation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, let's see.......

You expect a courtroom answer without a real scenario. There is a big difference between a few sentence scenario and reality.

Thank you.  Exactly what I said.  

The use of force or deadly force cannot be summarized in a few paragraphs. I recommend you read and understand the statutes.   Using your scenario - there is not enough information present to make an assumption, and anyone making such an assumption would be irresponsible, or ignorant of the legal process.

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Really that is the net of it.  You better know why you did what you did, you better be able to present it in a way that will be credible to a jury, and in the end it's all a crap shoot and there is no good answer to what will happen in the mind of a DA, or a jury, or a civil trail even, until ya get there.

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know there is a statistic out there regarding the distance between victim and assailant during a shooting.  Anyone know what that is?  My biggest concern about carrying is having an attacker get so close that my ability to get to my gun and/or aim it properly are removed.  Learning to 'create space' is one of the most important skills you obtain when carrying concealed, IMO, and having to make a decision as to whether you NEED to create space plays a big part in whether to draw or not.

In the 1.5 seconds that it takes most people to draw and fire one shot, an attacker with a contact weapon can move 21 feet and strike. Some people now believe the distance for this to be 30 feet or more, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know there is a statistic out there regarding the distance between victim and assailant during a shooting.  Anyone know what that is?  My biggest concern about carrying is having an attacker get so close that my ability to get to my gun and/or aim it properly are removed.  Learning to 'create space' is one of the most important skills you obtain when carrying concealed, IMO, and having to make a decision as to whether you NEED to create space plays a big part in whether to draw or not.

In the 1.5 seconds that it takes most people to draw and fire one shot, an attacker with a contact weapon can move 21 feet and strike. Some people now believe the distance for this to be 30 feet or more, YMMV.

This is why even basic unarmed fighting skill is neccecary, if not only to give yourself time to make a contact shot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
And why my CRKT Cruiser is always with me.  Plus you need at least some basic training in using a folder as a weapon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And why my CRKT Cruiser is always with me.  Plus you need at least some basic training in using a folder as a weapon.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447162  thread of mine on GT.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#10]
The legal side of drawing varies greatly by state.  In many states, you may not draw unless the conditions for using deadly force are satisfied.  In other states (such as Ohio), reasonable (non-lethal) force may be used to protect yourself and even to protect property.  The mere act of drawing a gun is non-lethal force, and whether or not it was reasonable given the circumstances will be determined by a jury if the matter comes to trial.  (The charge would most likely be aggrevated menacing.)  

I have displayed a gun and even fired a gun in several situations in Ohio without anyone ever pressing charges:

1.  A drug dealer was crossing my property on a regular basis on a gravel road.  I blocked the road with a vehicle to detain the driver for local LEO's.  While waiting, I displayed a shotgun to encourage the driver not to do anything stupid.

2.  A rotweiller was knockng my kids down and trying to enter my home.  I drew and fired at the rotweiller which then retreated.  I missed, but I have been practicing a lot more since then.

3.  A group of tresspassers threatened to kill the dog accompanying me when I confronted them.  They were on a 100' high ridge and I was on the bottom as the dog climbed up toward them on the ridge.  They threatened to throw the dog off of the cliff.  A warning shot into a tree ended that idea and sent them scampering away rapidly.

My wife was also recently on a jury that acquitted a CHL holder of an aggrevated menacing charge for drawing his gun in defense of one of his son's friends.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Add to the situation age or gender factors.  What if you're a 65 y/o woman being harrassed by what appear to be gang-bangers?  What if you're a 30 y/o guy with your wife and 2.5 kids in tow, and are verbally threatned by some 17/18/19 y/o gang-bangers? OR!! what if you are a 48 y/o male being accosted by 3 or 4 female thugs??

While there are numerous circumstances and tidbits of advise, I personally believe that threat avoidance is the key to not being involved in a shooting. However, if you are totally taken off-guard, then the key piece of advise is "are you really" as in REALLY, TRULY, facing serious bodily harm or death (you or your family member, etc.).

Sure, being a master of some form of martial art or boxing (or even the scary use of a weed-eater), might help stand your ground, but the moment you are outnumbered or a weapon enters the scene, there is only one person to make that life/death shoot/don't shoot decision - YOU... and after you make it, you will need to live with the outcome and defend your decision, never second guessing your choice publicly or privately. (no monday morning quarterbacking here!)

By making the commitment to carry a concealed weapon you need to have the mind-set that when the situation arises, you will use that weapon for the reason you chose to carry. Clearly a 45 y/o white male that shot a 17 y/o black/hispanic/whatever will have an uphill battle with the media and possibly civil action, "RIGHT IS RIGHT" and if the gang-banger wasn't out selling crack/meth/whatever and needed to prove-up his street cred by attacking you, then you would never have needed to resort to self defense.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

While there are numerous circumstances and tidbits of advise, I personally believe that threat avoidance is the key to not being involved in a shooting. However, if you are totally taken off-guard, then the key piece of advise is "are you really" as in REALLY, TRULY, facing serious bodily harm or death (you or your family member, etc.).

The question is "when to draw?" not "when to shoot a threat?"  As I mentioned above, a gun can be legally drawn in many states without having legal justification for shooting a threat.  Some states even allow for "reasonable force" to be used to prevent property crimes.  This opens the door to warning shots in some situations.

I already posted above a situation where I legally used a warning shot to save the life of a dog I was hunting with.  On another occasion, we had some animal rights activists coming onto the property and opening gates in order to let our cattle out.   I happened to walk outside and see a trespasser fiddling around near a gate a few hundred feet from my front door.  There were cattle close enough to the gate that they would probably escape before I could get there and close the gate.  Under Ohio law, the crime of opening a gate is relatively minor, and certainly does not justify deadly force.  However, the potential for loss of property and danger to human life is considerable with 1200+ lb cattle wandering through the streets.  I drew my gun and fired two warning shots into the ground to put a stop to the possibility of the gate being opened.

Had the animal rights activists stuck around to press charges regarding the warning shots, and a prosecutor secured an indictment, an Ohio jury would have decided whether or not the warning shots represented a reasonable use of force given the circumstances.  I believe the warning shots were not only reasonable, they were the best course of action in the situation.  Fortunately, I do not live in a state where drawing a pistol or even firing a warning shot is considered deadly force.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is very interesting. Most of the people on this forum probably have a reasonably good idea on when to brandish a firearm and they can't agree. Now imagine a jury that has no idea. These people are deciding your fate after a shooting. Scary huh?

The fact that people will tend to disagree on when it is reasonable to draw works in the favor of a potential defendent who has drawn his gun in the face of some criminal threat.  In Ohio, the only way the CHL holder will be convicted is if the jury is unanimous in agreement that drawing the gun was unreasonable under the circumstances.  This is unlikely to occur unless the criminal threat both has no criminal record AND the CHL holder is unable to make a decent case that he reasonably believed that he needed to draw to prevent a crime.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Michael restated what i said earlier in his first paragraph.  Drawing is different than firing.  When there is a potential threat to life or limb it is time to draw.  When that threat becomes imminent is when you fire.  Waiting too long to draw your gun is a good way to get yourself killed.

Generally i do not encourage "warning shots" but in a rural setting in michael's case they seem reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Michael_Courtney <snip>

Unlike my rural Arfcomers, I live in an urban setting and my situation will be a little different. I believe that the pistol that is always in my pocket holster will serve as a deterrant, or to end the situation in seconds. I've never been involved in a shooting and would prefer to keep that as status quo. But, after re-reading your question, I guess we are talking about "scaring" the b/g away by showing our weapon, right?  (brandishing a weapon is not permited in any states that I am aware of.) If the situation calls for quick de-escalation and a display of the handgun appears to be an option to resolve the matter, then, yes, it is better than shooting the b/g and going through the aftermath (legally, etc.).  

But then again... I've always been told that if I "clear leather" than I better be prepared to use the weapon. I personally don't like the idea of whipping my "gun" out and looking like some kind of cocky bastard trying to scare somebody. Avoidance is the key, as I stated supra. If you're in the dark parking lot and you see some b/g walking toward you, and you wait for him to get close enough to be a real, physical threat, then it is too late. By being aware of the situation and making a mental plan prior to the situation, you could return to the store, or if appropriate, place your hand on the pistol, and ready yourself for the conflict to escalate. In Florida, we recently have the "no retreat" provision enacted and as far as I know, no shootings under same have been reported in the media.

So to answer from my point of view, displaying the weapon would be appropriate when that little voice in your head screams BAD SHIT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Drawing the gun has two potential purposes:

1) Communicating that you are armed and prepared to use a greater level of force.

2) Shortening the time delay before applying deadly force should it become necessary.

It is wrong to suggest that brandishing a firearm is univerally illegal.  Many states permit the use of reasonable force to prevent property crimes and physical attacks that do not justify deadly force.  Drawing a gun can be considered "reasonable" force necessary to prevent property crimes and physical attacks in many situations.

It is also extremely unwise to always wait until it's necessary to apply deadly force before drawing.  One example is the use of a saferoom during a suspected break-in.  A very good and often recommended home security plan is to get everyone into the safe room and cover the door with a gun.  Certainly no one recommends waiting until the door is breached before drawing, but almost everyone recommends waiting until the door is breached before firing.  

I assert that the optimal approach is to have one's gun in hand anytime a situation reaches condition orange.  The only exception is circumstances where visibly drawing a gun would necessarily be interpreted as an unwarranted and unjustified escalation in a situation where both the defender and the criminal have equal rights to be doing what they are doing up to that point.  However, in the case of an employee/business owner or a resident/homeowner defending the home turf against an outside agent, the defender has every right to draw a gun once the criminal intent of the outside agent is reasonably clear.  Of course, this action is going to fare better legally in states with some kind of castle doctrine and in areas where potential prosecutors and jurors have a strong sense of the castle doctrine when considering whether or not actions are reasonable.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Drawing the gun has two potential purposes:

1) Communicating that you are armed and prepared to use a greater level of force.

2) Shortening the time delay before applying deadly force should it become necessary.

It is wrong to suggest that brandishing a firearm is univerally illegal.  Many states permit the use of reasonable force to prevent property crimes and physical attacks that do not justify deadly force.  Drawing a gun can be considered "reasonable" force necessary to prevent property crimes and physical attacks in many situations.

It is also extremely unwise to always wait until it's necessary to apply deadly force before drawing.  One example is the use of a saferoom during a suspected break-in.  A very good and often recommended home security plan is to get everyone into the safe room and cover the door with a gun.  Certainly no one recommends waiting until the door is breached before drawing, but almost everyone recommends waiting until the door is breached before firing.  

I assert that the optimal approach is to have one's gun in hand anytime a situation reaches condition orange.  The only exception is circumstances where visibly drawing a gun would necessarily be interpreted as an unwarranted and unjustified escalation in a situation where both the defender and the criminal have equal rights to be doing what they are doing up to that point.  However, in the case of an employee/business owner or a resident/homeowner defending the home turf against an outside agent, the defender has every right to draw a gun once the criminal intent of the outside agent is reasonably clear.  Of course, this action is going to fare better legally in states with some kind of castle doctrine and in areas where potential prosecutors and jurors have a strong sense of the castle doctrine when considering whether or not actions are reasonable.

Michael Courtney

I disagree, Condition orange is an evaluation phase.  Condition red is the fight/flight or freeze phase.  It can be broke down into the force continuum so condition red is not always using lethal force.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
A little snippet from Texas LAw

Texas Penal Code
§9.04.  Threats as justifiable force.

The threat of force is justified when the use of force is
justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to
cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or
otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an
apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not
constitute the use of deadly force.

Texas has NO brandishing law.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#19]
By reading the posts in this topic I know one thing for sure:  

If you are honestly asking "When is it OK to draw?" you need to put up your pistol and buy some pepper spray, or a body alarm, whistle or something cause you.......well you may not have the mental capacity to carry a firearm.

The way I take the question "When is it OK to draw?" sounds like you are just itching to have the chance.  When or if you shoot someone you more and likely will be in the wrong if you 'honestly' have to stop and wonder if it is "OK to draw."

Everyone in here wants to give his opinion when it is 'ok'.  Some are respectable some are stupid.  So let just keep it simple:

If, God forbid, you ever have to draw your weapon in defense of your life, family or home, you won't have time to worry if it is 'OK to draw' all you will know is it is time.

Stop trying to sound like fricking lawyers guys.  Want to worry about something?  Can you put the bullets where they need to be?  and not into a 8 year old bystandard......... there is a law suit to talk about.  You going to carry a gun, you  better pratice pratice pratice.

Affirm?

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you are honestly asking "When is it OK to draw?" you need to put up your pistol and buy some pepper spray, or a body alarm, whistle or something cause you.......well you may not have the mental capacity to carry a firearm.

I disagree with you.  Discussing the scenarios is healthy and thought provoking.  It is also good to understand the law so you will make wise decisions that will ultimately affect the rest of your life.

The way I take the question "When is it OK to draw?" sounds like you are just itching to have the chance.  When or if you shoot someone you more and likely will be in the wrong if you 'honestly' have to stop and wonder if it is "OK to draw."

That is ridiculous.  It is good to think anything out in advance.... that is a form of training.  That way you will respond, instead of react in a real situation.  Discussing the scenarios provides education.  I am sorry - you may have been born with self defense mechanisms... but you CERTAINLY were not born with an understanding of all the legal, phsychological, and moral issues surrounding drawing and firing your weapon at another human being.  

Everyone in here wants to give his opinion when it is 'ok'.  Some are respectable some are stupid.  So let just keep it simple:

If, God forbid, you ever have to draw your weapon in defense of your life, family or home, you won't have time to worry if it is 'OK to draw' all you will know is it is time.

Again I disagree.  People pull their weapon all the time.... at the wrong time, and in the wrong place.  Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they get arrested.  It happens every day.  People dont just "know" this stuff..... common sense is not always so common.  I think you drastically oversimplify the discussion.

Stop trying to sound like fricking lawyers guys.  Want to worry about something?  Can you put the bullets where they need to be?  and not into a 8 year old bystandard......... there is a law suit to talk about.  You going to carry a gun, you  better pratice pratice pratice.

Affirm?

Nope... not at all.  People should understand the use of deadly force, and when it is justified.  The law is typically an excellent guide on when it should be excercised.  And a solid understanding of the legal ramifications surely cant hurt, can it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree with you.  Discussing the scenarios is healthy and thought provoking.  It is also good to understand the law so you will make wise decisions that will ultimately affect the rest of your life.

That is ridiculous.  It is good to think anything out in advance.... that is a form of training.  That way you will respond, instead of react in a real situation.  Discussing the scenarios provides education.  I am sorry - you may have been born with self defense mechanisms... but you CERTAINLY were not born with an understanding of all the legal, phsychological, and moral issues surrounding drawing and firing your weapon at another human being.  h=85%

If, God forbid, you ever have to draw your weapon in defense of your life, family or home, you won't have time to worry if it is 'OK to draw' all you will know is it is time.[/quote]

Again I disagree.  People pull their weapon all the time.... at the wrong time, and in the wrong place.  Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they get arrested.  It happens every day.  People dont just "know" this stuff..... common sense is not always so common.  I think you drastically oversimplify the discussion.

Affirm?

Nope... not at all.  People should understand the use of deadly force, and when it is justified.  The law is typically an excellent guide on when it should be excercised.  And a solid understanding of the legal ramifications surely cant hurt, can it?

Falarak

Now go back and read my blue then yours, my yellow then yours, my purple then yours.  The red is just for style.

I think it is hard to articulate what we want to get across with written words.  Voice tone sarcassam and such is not communicated very well.

I am looking at this fourm and topic as a survival situation only, me or the bad guy.  If I have to shoot I am going to be right cause I was affraid  that I may be killed or severly injured.  I can live with my decissions.

The old saying that it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  That is what I thought this was.  Yes you need to know the laws concerning deadly force to have a basic understanding, that should be a given.  If you are worrying about being sued and such when it is "Go Time." YOU will die trying to 'think out' the situation at hand.  Plain and simple.  I am not trying to over simplify this at all.

All and all if YOU feel that it was necessary to kill some ol' sucker, because YOU thought they were going to kill YOU.  YOU can be looking at yourself in the mirror and have since of peace knowing YOU did the right thing for YOU to live no matter how much money you owe the poor sorry ol' sucker's family, or how big and ugly your new celly is. Bad guy is dead not you, you lived.

100% serious here.  Make sure you can hit what you are intending to hit.  Those misses are still deadly, but for who? Those are the mistakes that make us (gun owners) look worse than anything and those mistakes are the ones the left uses on the Commy News Network.

Maybe this hashed out a thing or two.  If not we can agree to disagree and not be disagreeable with each other.

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow.  This can be a can of worms.  I'm not an attorney, but I have taught CPL in Michigan.  Attorneys and LEOs have covered the deadly force section  in these classes for obvious reasons.  Still there's always one guy in the class that wants to know when he can shoot someone and not get in trouble.  Yikes...

My layman's interpretation of what I've heard is:   If a jury finds that you reasonably felt your life was in danger, and you have no ability to retreat, then you won't be convicted for using deadly force in self defense.   You may still get prosecuted, you may still get sued.  Armed self defense means you may get to survive the attack.  Nothing more.

Morally, I'd rather avoid the fight than fight the fight.  The original example here is ambiguous.  Three guys...  Bigger than me?  Brandishing weapons?  Just giving me a hard time?  Actually assaulting me?  Am I alone, or with family, kids etc...

If three guys assault me, then I would probably use deadly force, since, I would reasonably assume that three guys assaulting an armed citizen would probably be intending to kill me.  If they got my gun away from me, I'd be toast for sure, so if seeing it didn't make 'em run, I'd probably have to figure they were going to take me out.  Would I flee first?  If I'm alone, you bet.  With family?  I'm drawing.  It's so hard to say until it comes down to it.  

I'd like to hear from someone who's been there.  I lead a pretty tame life, so I don't run into this sort of thing much...  We can armchair this into oblivion.

Link Posted: 10/30/2005 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#23]
If the "Perp" has:

A. The ABILITY to cause you lethal harm (Multiple "Unarmed attackers fits this scenario)

B. Has the OPPORTUNITY to cause you lethal harm ( an adversary waving a 2X4 across the street does not have OPPORTUNIY or ABILITY)

C. You have to be in JEOPARDY. Ability and opportunity are present, and an attack has been initiated.  

There are some varying state laws (sorry your in Illinois, but glad you're going to the land of the free) like in Colorado. All someone has to do is "Cross the threshold" of your entrance, and "Bang"...you win. It's called the "Make my day law". Seriously.

Bottom  line is that you need to think aboutwhatyour "Mental Trigger" is, and what has to occur for you to begin making your "Presentation" to the threat. Forget about trying to "Defend" yourself in court using the "Fear Factor". It's way too subjective.  "Your honor...I was in grave fear of my life because I thought he may have had a gun."

That BG's gun better be there when the LEO's arrive, or your going down.  

Or....."Your honor...I was in fera of my life because I thought he was going to pick up a 2X4 on the ground and attack me. Again...your going down. If he picks up the 2X4 and isclose enough to use it on you...then you have a case.

Tack
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That BG's gun better be there when the LEO's arrive, or your going down.

Not always, recently in a philly suburb a guy was attacked by 6 local high school seniors in a wawa parking lot.  He was knocked off balance and fell and from his back drew his gun, killed one and injured another.  He was not arrested, charged or prosecuted and this was a liberal area.  The parents of the "slain child" held a candlelight vigil with hundreds of people to have this guy crucified, the local media made this guy out to be a "crazy gunman" and still no charges.  He wisely kept his name out of the press.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-03282005-468776.html

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4320875/detail.html

http://www.northeasttimes.com/2005/0407/matt.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Taylor's family said that the two were trying to help a man who was being attacked. Police said that a 24 year-old man has admitted to firing the shots. Police said that the man had a permit to carry a firearm.

"trying to help a man"  Yeah right.  What a crock of crap... and the media just spews it forth.

A Philadelphia man shot and killed one man and seriously injured another after at least six others began fighting with him at a Bensalem Wawa early Easter morning, police said.

"began fighting with him".  Not the truth.... he was attacked.  But they dont want to say that.

The man had a permit to carry the high-powered handgun

What exactly is a "high powered" handgun?  

Granted.... I dont know the whole story.... but everything I have read about this.... stinks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#26]
what doesn't stink was the fact that he was never arrested or charged despite the attempted crucifixion by the media and community.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#27]
i would like to think that my justifications are in the right:

If me or my family is being threatened with serious injury, (bad guy has a weapon, or as seen by a reasonable person, bad guy could seriously hurt me with his bare hands) I would draw my firearm and try to resolve the situation by scaring the hell out of him. Its all about the THREAT of serious harm.
If they proceed to attack me now, they are going for my weapon, and I would fire.  Say someone waited to be beaten to the ground, then the attacker could find your weapon and use it against you or someone else.

If my life or the life of my family is threatened on the other hand (bad guy is charging at me with deadly weapon or is, as seen by a reasonable person, trying to kill me with his bare hands) I would immediatley fire. Its all about the THREAT of death. NOBODY can know FOR SURE if they bad guy was really going to kill you, so you don't have to wait and find out...then its too late. Its all about the THREAT.

THREAT of harm =  showing my weapon
THREAT of death = firing
determining whether you are being threatened with harm or threatened with death is situational, and a reasonable person must agree...i'm sure most of us CCW people are reasonable people, so use your best judgement.

Now these situations sound a little too perfect, real life isn't so easy. things go wrong.
But police officers use the threat of deadly force all the time by drawing their weapons or shining their firearm laser at the perp. It scares the hell out of them, and I hope it would be legal because i'm sure it resolves a lot of situations...at least I hope its legal where I live in upstate NY. I will have to look up the laws before i start carrying (just got my CCW after 9 months of waiting!)

But as a disclaimer, I am not a police officer, lawyer, judge, professional juror, or expert for that matter...these are just my opinions. and I hope everyone who carries knows their local laws (but i think every state should have recipricol laws, as long as the people in NY and CA don't make them!!!).

and this is a good discussion and question to ask. even our troops in iraq and afghanistan are all instructed to know the laws of engagement, and they are all told to make up situations in their mind of when it is ok to aim/draw and when it is ok to fire. THINKING is what makes a law abiding person's job that much harder than the criminals job. SO one must think through these situations and make the proper reactions to them instinct.

-dave
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#28]
these are the relevant parts of NY state law. i found the "use of deadly force is allowed to prevent ARSON" part surprising and kinda interesting. looks like NY has good defensive justification laws, unless i read them wrong:

Penal Law 35.10, titled "Justification; use of physical force generally," prescribes:
"The use of physical force upon another person which would otherwise constitute an offense is justifiable and not criminal under any of the following circumstances: …
"6. A person may, pursuant to the ensuing provisions of this article, use physical force upon another person in defense of himself or a third person, or in defense of premises, or in order to prevent larceny of or criminal mischief to property, or in order to effect an arrest or prevent an escape from custody. Whenever a person is authorized by any such provision to use deadly physical force in any given circumstance, nothing contained in any other such provision may be deemed to negate or qualify such authorization."

Penal Law 35.20, titled "Justification; use of physical force in defense of premises and in defense of a person in the course of burglary" prescribes:
"1. Any person may use physical force upon another person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a crime involving damage to premises.   He may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such  purpose, and he may use deadly physical force if he reasonably believes such to be necessary  to  prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson.
2. A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, may use physical force upon another person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a criminal trespass upon such premises. He may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and he may use deadly physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson, as prescribed in subdivision one, or in the course of a burglary or attempted burglary, as prescribed in subdivision three.
3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such burglary [See Definition of Burglary (Intent) at PL sec. 140.20 at: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=31 ].
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#29]
In PA it's arson of an occupied structure.  You can't get away with capping someone torching your shed.  However, if he's standing in your front lawn trying to light a molotov coctail....
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I am  a short dude.  If 3 guys are giving me crap I will do what I can to back away and get out of the situation but I can honestly say I would feel pretty damned threatened by 3 guys coming at me.  I don't know if I would wait for them to get close enough to push or hit me.  It all depends on the situation.  Like many of you on here have said.  If I pull it out it's gonna get used.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It all comes down to your level of fear.  If there are three of them and one of you then you can reasonably explain that you felt like you were in danger of being seriously hurt or killed.  You never know their true intention so why leave yourself hoping for the best.  What if they knock you out, take your gun and put two in your head??

I agree, but coming from a state that prosecutes people for defending themselves in their own homes, I'm trying to understand what's acceptable, when I move to Spring TX later this month.

This is totally fucked btw.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you display your gun, you better be ready to use it.

There isn't any real studies done on how often good people display firearms to eliminate or deter a threat.

A visual display is a deterrent and telling the perp what you have. If they still attack you after you have displayed your firearm, they are going for your gun and you are totally in the right to use deadly force.

"Back away or I'll shoot!"  *Thug slaps gun out of hands when shooter doesn't shoot*

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN MOVIES MAN!!! jk :P
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't read all the replies in this topic, so this has probably been said once already.

Your best bet is to run. Get your ass outta harms way. Better a live chicken than a dead lion, right? That of course, applies to situations where the option of running exists.

What too many people tend to forget is that pulling your gun, let alone shooting someone is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. Carry pepper spray. Usually that's enough deterrent to quell any situation. Put a cloud of pain in your assailants face. If that doesn't work, go to your gun.

However, if you pull your gun, you have to be committed in your mind to kill the person(s) giving you cause to unholster. It's not a deterrent. It's a weapon. If you pull just as a show of force, that's threat with a deadly weapon and you can be arrested for that. You must be sure you're in the right. Your level of fear plays a factor, but in court, it's not rock hard. If you can demonstrate Ability, Opportunity, and Intent, it'll hold up a hell of a lot better than, "I was really scared!"

Obviously, this doesn't cover many scenarios, it's just a basic overview. But its fundamentals are there.

Take this how you want, it's just my thoughts and opinions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#34]
If it was me in the scenario.......
1. First off the guys should have been spotted before they got too close to me, always be alert of
    your surroundings.
2. I would evaluate the surroundings, the threat level and situate myself accordingly to be in a
    more defensible position.(back against a wall or in a corner - they have limited approach angles)
3. I would make it clear that I didn't want any trouble but was prepared for it.....

4. I carry OC and would use that as a first line of defense.(left hand OC - right on holstered pistol)

5. If they persisted in their attack, or rushed the OC then you have to draw sidearm.

6. Although you have to be ready and committed to kill if you draw I feel that you MAY not have to
    depending on the situation and no other firearms are present.  For instance 1 bullet fired into
    the pelvis area (hip joint) will shatter the hip and TOTALLY incapacitate a person. It is
    IMPOSSIBLE to even walk or stand with a shattered hip (research medical info).
     So, as long as the attacker isn't armed with a gun you could drop him and incapacitate him
   without killing him. at that point the others MAY flee or back off  -or- you may have to
   incapacitate them -OR- you may have to kill them all.  Situations vary.
   All I am saying is there are alternatives to killing if it's not needed.
You have MANY levels of force from verbal  commands- killing someone.

7. shooting someone speciffically to incapacitate and not to kill could help you in court.

Ok, since I am new to this forum I am sure everyone will rip me one on this viewpoint. I know how everyone likes to double tap bad guys in the chest.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If it was me in the scenario.......
1. First off the guys should have been spotted before they got too close to me, always be alert of
    your surroundings.
2. I would evaluate the surroundings, the threat level and situate myself accordingly to be in a
    more defensible position.(back against a wall or in a corner - they have limited approach angles)
3. I would make it clear that I didn't want any trouble but was prepared for it.....

4. I carry OC and would use that as a first line of defense.(left hand OC - right on holstered pistol)

5. If they persisted in their attack, or rushed the OC then you have to draw sidearm.

6. Although you have to be ready and committed to kill if you draw I feel that you MAY not have to
    depending on the situation and no other firearms are present.  For instance 1 bullet fired into
    the pelvis area (hip joint) will shatter the hip and TOTALLY incapacitate a person. It is
    IMPOSSIBLE to even walk or stand with a shattered hip (research medical info).
     So, as long as the attacker isn't armed with a gun you could drop him and incapacitate him
   without killing him. at that point the others MAY flee or back off  -or- you may have to
   incapacitate them -OR- you may have to kill them all.  Situations vary.
   All I am saying is there are alternatives to killing if it's not needed.
You have MANY levels of force from verbal  commands- killing someone.

7. shooting someone speciffically to incapacitate and not to kill could help you in court.

Ok, since I am new to this forum I am sure everyone will rip me one on this viewpoint. I know how everyone likes to double tap bad guys in the chest.  

There are many reasons shooting to incapacitate is bad for you for a few reasons, but here are two to think about. In court, if you explain that you purposefully shot your assailant in the pelvis, a dirty prosecutor could explain that if you had the time to aim for his pelvis, a much smaller target than the torso, you had time to get away, or employ some other option, whatever that may be. Any number of things could be inserted there.

Second, when you're in a situation that warrants drawing, chances are your body is going to go into fight or flight mode. When this happens, you will not rise to the challenge. You will fall to all your training. Everything you've trained to do, drawing, aiming, trigger control, grip, target acquisition, will be what your body will do. If you shoot your assailant in the pelvis, a prosecutor can shape you to be a malicious person who trains to maim. You'd probably be better off killing the guy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
When the tin foil hat no longer does any good, then draw down.  Or when the neighbor's dog shits in your yard.

MIT has concluded that tin foil hats don't work in blocking government mind control rays.

Infact they help the rays work

people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread really has gotten scary without a doubt.  Not the fact that i would of ever done anything stupid but jesus........I mean you defend your life at a point to where you cant escape and you have no way out  what so ever your still going to get f**ked in the end by the court.  I might as well just become a victim and let someone kill me than me defend my own life that way i dont have to put up with all the stupid bullshit that comes after words with me trying to convince a jury with everything i have to keep me from getting behind bars.  Although i would be in the right.  Its like, if you do defend your life and save yourself from someone else taking yours then no matter what happens in the end you will have some type of punishment or severe down fall from all of it. Now of course having to live with the fact that you DID take someones live but im talking about attorny fee's, civil court, and hard major severe ass convincing of a jury to save your own ass. And when i said i would become a victim i wasnt serios, but i was just trying to make a point.  Of course having a CCW is a major responsibility but if some one wants to try and rip me off for my wallet, its theres, but the whole situation with three or four of them surrounding me with knives, bats, brass knuckles, etc..........after reading this thread and all of the bad info people have put in its almost as if i should worry more about me going to prison the rest of my life for me defending my own life while in the right. Its sad that i have think about what severe punishment i'll receive if this situation ever happens.  If anyone has any links to sites where theres actual articles on real life scenarios of this EXACT subject, post them.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not going to use deadly force against somebody stealing my TV or vehicle.  But ANY threat to my family results in a dead assailant.  I can be more tolerable when it comes to threat against myself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#39]
once again, state by state. life in immediate danger or possibility of great bodily harm. to be honst, know one knows. there is so little case law to go by, it's all grey area. THE ANTIS JUST LOVE THIS, .005 PERCENT OF LICENSED CCW PERSONS HAVE HAD TO USE DEADLY FORCE. makes you think it might me working?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
PS: in NC its a felony to point a gun at someone. Does this mean if you point it, they have passed the rules of Deadly Force? Got me
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#41]
The laws vary GREATLY from state to state, so do your homework.  In Minnesota, pulling your gun is use of deadly force, same as cooking off a round (I know it's screwed up but that's the way it is).

For me, I know I will know when it's time to draw.  That little voice in my head will be at full tilt boogie screaming "defend yourself at all costs."

I basically have two sets of rules, one for one assailant, one for multiple assailants.  

One guy:  

1) Verbal assault will be met with verbal instructions to stay away.
2) Physical assault will result in me pushing back to create distance and flee if possible.  
3) A deadly weapon is presented, bang DRT.  
4) If I'm losing a fight in #2 to the point I fear serious injury or death, draw and fire.

More than one guy:

1) same as previouos
2) physical assault will result in drawing and creating distance through movement, while verbal commands to stay away are screamed hopefully to be heard by good witnesses down the road.
3) Again, deadly weapon, DRT.

The problem with a group of assailants is that if you drill one of them and the other two run (likely) is that without witnesses you better have a REAL good lawyer because you just shot a potentially unarmed man.

All this theorizing apart, I know if (god forbid) the situation ever arises that I need to use my weapon I will not have to second guess my choice.  I'm sure others will down the road but at that point in time I will be worrying about living another day, not surviving a possible trial.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Only draw your weapon if you are going to use it!
Never use your weapon to take a life, only use your weapon to save a life.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#43]
In my CCW class here in OR, the sherriff beat into our heads that three things have to be present to legally use deadly force.

1) Intent: The criminal in question has to obviously be bent on committing a crime that will result in the serious injury or death of another person or yourself.

2) Means: The criminal has to obviously have the capability to commit a crime that will result in the serious injury or death of another person or yourself.

3) Opportunity: The criminal not only has to have the capability but he or she must also been in a reasonable proximaty to inflict the intended serious injury or death of another person or yourself.

The Sherriff then proceeded to say that if you did use deadly force to prevent the serious injury or death of another person or yourself, then the government would uses these three criterion to judge whether or not you acted appropriately and the shooting was justifiable. Obviously, if you can not prove reasonably that the criterion were completely present at the time of the shooting you could go to jail.

The worst part is that even if the shooting is justifiable, you could still be held liable in a civil court action, which could result in being required to pay egregious financial damages. It boggles my mind that citizens who act within the law can be sued by saving their own life or the life of another.

His recommendation was to do your best to make certain that your actions will be justifiable at a legal level and make certain that if you do use deadly force; that it is indeed DEADLY! Dead people cannot sue as easily.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Only draw your weapon if you are going to use it!

WRONG.  Only draw your weapon if you are *prepared* to use it.  How many times do we have to go over this?  Drawing a weapon does not mean you must use it.  Drawing a weapon is a threat of deadly force, and sometimes that is all that it takes to stop a threat.  The threat of deadly force is allowed and justified in Texas under specific conditions where warranted.

Never use your weapon to take a life, only use your weapon to save a life.

While I think I understand what you are saying... I only would use a weapon to stop a threat.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - When is it ok to draw? (Page 2 of 2)
Page Handguns » Carry Issues
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top