BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 12:55:08 PM EDT
likes vs dislikes, let me know
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to get the weapon out without pointing it at everyone around you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep your finger off the trigger an no one gets hurt

There are times I don't want to carry on the belt, or don't want to wear something that needs a belt. The one big down side is that almost no one makes a vertical holster anymore. You can get a custom rig ($200+), but the big guys (Galco, DeSantis) make mostly horizontal rigs. I don't worry about painting with my muzzle, but with a full size 1911 the gun prints even under a sweatshirt. I actually like them for summer wear. No one expects to see a P-14 when you're wearing swim trunks and a Hawaiian shirt.

Quoted:
Hard to get the weapon out without pointing it at everyone around you.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I am good at keeping my finger in the right place, but I still dont like shoulder holsters for the safety aspect.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
With the number of shoulder rigs in service it can't possibly be a safety issue, just a preference issue.

Quoted:
Yeah, I am good at keeping my finger in the right place, but I still dont like shoulder holsters for the safety aspect.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 1 occasionally, but like the waist carry much better. Much more solid than swinging under my arm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I use one during the winter months , like it
allot . my favorite is an old Galco Miami classic ,
but I also have a vertical Galco system that
makes it easier to carry a Govt sized 1911 .

Which is one of the dislikes of a horizontal
shoulder rig for many people . Since you need some
girth to hide a full sized handgun horizontally .

Another valid complaint of the horizontal rigs is that
you muzzle sweep everyone behind you and those on
your weak side . The vertical rigs eliminate much of this
but the tradeoff is the odd grip angle and a slower draw .

I hesitate to even mention it , but I also have double
Shoulder rig that holds a pair of commander length
1911’s for when I’m having a Johnny Woo moment
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine for carrying in the winter. The safety concern is a nonissue.

The gun almost certainly isn't going to go off in the holster by itself, and with proper practice and training, you aren't going to pull the trigger when you draw either. If you can't clear a holster without letting off a round, you don't need to be carrying a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like them for camping and hiking.

My old Bianchi finally bit the dust, and I have the Galco  site open in another window right now.

Carrying a full size 1911 IWB is fine for general activity.  But out camping/hiking/climbing rocks etc - the shoulder holster is much perferable for me.

And for sleeping it's more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I think they serve as a great 2nd or 3rd carry option. As others have stated the saftety issue is a non issue for well trained individuals however, for those that are not well trained they do represent a potential bad deal - on the draw at the very least you will sweep the area  nearest your strong side and it is very easy to sweep yourself.

I have had a couple models and have not been real impressed with either.

I currently have a Galco Miami Classic - it is OK at best. I would like to have a better one - but high quality shoulder holsters are not commonly available in a shop to see, feel and try on. The Miami Classic has straps that are either too narrow or too wide and the quality of leather is cheese. Not to mention that you get two color choices tan and black. Black may as well be safety orange as it screams its presence with anything other than a well matched (tone) black undershirt - yeah that is always appropriate attire. While the tan is almost even worse in that while it is not as likely to print under a light colored shirt , no one wears a tan undershirt..... Kinda cheesy but what can you do? Also, regardless of how I adjust it, it still doesn't hang / carry in the best position - it rides too low. Lastly, draw times can be improved by making a slight bend in the rentention snap on the weapon holster so that a natural "V" is created in which your thumb is able automatically find the "V" and the mere force of your thumb coming into the "V" releases the snap - as opposed to having to use your thumb to push the snap to the side once it is in position. Mag changes are slow though because the design uses cheesy leather that sits up above the snap (about 2") so you find yourself reaching under your arm, feeling for the leather that sits above the snap on the mag carrier, making a deliberate effort to grab that 2" of leather and then pulling down on the snap, then repositioning your hand back up to the base of the mag and the removing it from the actual carrier. Everyone that uses a SH should confirm that there is adequate tension in the mag carrier such that when the snap is released the mag doesn't just fall out.

Anyway - I think they have a place - but they are not my first choice.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys I was just wondering.  I have gone with a shoulder rig in the past and was thinking I should take it out again come winter (as i find its the best was to hide a full lenth 1911).  I have the newer version of the galco miami classic and bought the side straps that hook into your belt because I was having the same problem as you Face but that clears it up by holding the gun and clips steady. Again fellas thank you for your time and thoughts.

These are the links for those straps if you would like them

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=1507&CatalogID=137
Mag Side

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=1713&CatalogID=138
Holster Side

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry my Bren Ten in one when wearing a pastel linen sport coat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I use one when hunting or on the motorcycle. Its a vertical one though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I use an Uncle Mike's nylon/velcro vertical shoulder holster. It has large thin shoulder pads to spread the weight of my Sig P229 and a single mag carrier on the opposite side. It is very light and comfortable and only comes in black. I use it when wearing a t-shirt and shorts with a simple leather vest over it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I carry my Bren Ten in one when wearing a pastel linen sport coat.

Don't forget the hurachies!!  (embarassed to say....I had a pair of white hurachies in the 80s!)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Uncle Mikes horizontal shoulder holster that I'm not at all impressed by.

The only thing I like about it is the soft wide nylon shoulder straps... I hardly notice them.

I would like to get a new one (quality and comfortable) for a compact 9mm. I didn't really like the Kahr PM9 at first and I'm still not wild about it but, I'm looking into it as a option.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
.  I did like having the muzzle pointed at unsuspecting people in line at the movie theater, .

What part of that did you like? And how did it make you feel?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#19]
No no, the question is how do you think it made the other guy feel? What about his feelings?

Quoted:

Quoted:
.  I did like having the muzzle pointed at unsuspecting people in line at the movie theater, .

What part of that did you like? And how did it make you feel?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#20]
They're comfortable if you're sitting, like in a car, but I don't like the thought of sweeping my arm and everyone in the room.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I think he meant didn't like (I hope).

I have a holstered handgun pointed (at least kinda) at my right buttcheek right now, but I'm not all aquiver.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't found anything better in a car.  I don't like the idea of something hard between me and the seatbelt in the event of a wreck (more probable than a carjacking).  I just got an Alessi Bodyguard for my Glock 19, and it kicks ass.  Fits like a glove, has a "speed break" snap at the rear of the slide that is contoured into the body.  The Speed Break is very secure, but it is easy to pull the weapon clear without manually undoing the snap.  It does not have a tie-down on the pistol side, so it moves with you.

It's all about trigger discipline.  A glock does not have enough stored energy to set off the primer unless the trigger is pulled.  (I might feel differently about a "cocked & locked" 1911.)  Don't put your finger on the trigger until you have a target, and all will be fine.

It doesn't conceal as well as an IWB in the summer, but it's great for cooler months.  It took me 7 months to get from Lou Alessi (he's backlogged with .mil orders), but it was worth it.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...It's all about trigger discipline.  ...  Don't put your finger on the trigger until you have a target, and all will be fine.

...  It took me 7 months to get from Lou Alessi (he's backlogged with .mil orders), but it was worth it.  

I have an Alessi shoulder rig as well, and two of his ankle holsters. No question about the quality.

Re. trigger discipline: Even the best-trained among us do dumb things when the adrenaline is really pumping. I feel much more comfortable carrying on my strong-side hip. And I don't like to see others with shoulder rigs on the firing line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And I don't like to see others with shoulder rigs on the firing line.

No argument there...I generally don't trust other people.    I also don't practice with a shoulder rig when there are others I don't know on the line.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#25]
My choice for a pistol where I almost expect a fight is the Glock 21 and frankly in the summer or when it is warmer the only option i have likes if the shoulder rig.  I have one of the Uncle Mike's shoulder rig ("sidekick" I think) and the only thing I don't loke is that with the heavy glock with a loaded 13-rd mag and one in the pipe the straps really bite after a number of hours.  

I am looking for a lighter CCW gun for the future to be honest... but with a big gun the shoulder rigs seem to be easier to hide then other ways.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Most shoulder holsters For full size handguns that I have tried and used are uncomfortable to me, although they are handy when sitting or riding in cars for any length of time. One shoulder holster that I can reccomend very highly is the Null "SMZ", this is an upside down rig, when worn with my 638, I can even wear it under a shirt completely concealed, when that much concealment is desired. www.klnullholsters.com
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And for sleeping it's more comfortable.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
most guys are too fat to wear one comfortably.  
it's also tough to draw from one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter regarding shoulder rigs.

I have utilized a Bianchi Tuxedo Harness for the past couple of years, and for the most part it's been worn on a daily basis. Granted, I'm carrying either a G23, or a Colt Defender and two spare magazines - not full sized 1911's, Glocks, ect....

As mentioned, shoulder harnesses excel while traveling by vehicle. In the winter, they dissappear readily beneath a heavy jacket. And, in the summer I usually wear a loose fitting untucked shirt over a T, or sometimes a vest.  Also, my rig conceals well beneath a sport coat.

The Tuxedo distributes weight across my shoulders, and I find that at times I don't even know it's there.

It is infinitely adjustable and can be set for horizontal, or vertical carry(up, or down) - or any position desired in between.

Actually, I have two of the aforementioned: one adjusted for a G23, and the other for the Defender. They're a pain in the butt to initially adjust for one's own personal specific body type, and preferred carry position, but once properly set up I hardly notice I have it on.

.02 - and I expect I'll get a bunch of flames. Well - to each their own, and this rig works for me.

paddle3
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I wear my leather vest or light wrangler type jacket most of the time. I have a holster sewn on the inside of both. Hot summer days it's on my hip with a light longtail shirt. I've had my ccw for 35 years. At my age, I'm not as active as I used to be so I don't have as much of a concealment problem as some of you guys. Practice, practice, practice shooting and carrying. Like anything else that's the way you get good at it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I've tried several shoulder rigs, but I just not built right for them, short & stocky.  I carry a 3" 1911 which is easy to conceal in a shoulder rig but if I can't be comfortable I won't wear it.
Horizontal carry violates basic firearms safety NEVER POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO SHOOT.  Accadents do happen and I would hate for someone behind me to get hurt or worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top