Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I upgraded my carry from the compact 1911 in 45 ACP and Glock 19 that I carried to Glock 43x and Glock 43x MOS with the added Shield Arms 15 round mags. With a neomag I have 31 rounds of 9mm ready to go and the Glock 43x conceals easily and weighs less than the Glock 19 and 1911 compact.

I added Talon pro grips to both, even without the Talon grips I liked the Glock 43x grips better than the Glock 26 (too short), the Sig 365 and Hellcat (too small), and didn't try the M&P Sheild as I had by then decided the 43x grip was what worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry a 19 and my BUG is a 43.

If you don’t want to go with a larger gun, the 43 is no bigger than the 642 and superior in every way.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a 19 and my BUG is a 43.

If you don’t want to go with a larger gun, the 43 is no bigger than the 642 and superior in every way.
View Quote

The 43 is a much better shooter than the snubbie, but, at least to me, it seems like the snubbie is much easier to conceal, the 642 just disappears.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the time I carry a 38 snubby of some sort. Reason is its very small and Im at work.
My Glock 19 has to stay in the car if I take it. Im a big guy and cant cover it and work comfortably. Usually once in the building the snubby is in my stuff stored.
Ive carried a Beretta Nano over the years and that was a pretty good carry gun. I gave that to a family member for a home gun that had nothing.

Summer time its in the car.  

After carrying something for years and years then looking back going. I use to carry a full size G17 and or a 1911. I go why?

Kinda like having a full size spare tire, or a space saver tire. Both work. Carry ammo.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@SteveJobs

Check this out. This is how I carry my Smith and Wesson 442:

Techna Clip

With a shrouded hammer and a trigger in excess of ten pounds, I don’t feel the need to carry the 442 in a holster. The Techna Clip above slips right over my thinner non-gun belt and pants or shorts and is not super comfortable but reasonably so. If the material is super, super thin then the Techna Clip may not have enough material to prevent it from moving around

Since May of 2020 and the ensuing nation-wide riots I’ve gone from using the 442 as my primary carry gun to hardly ever carrying it. The 442 is for those occasions where I need something smaller because I’m carrying in a non-permissive environment or I’m just running out really quickly. I do carry three speed loaders in a spare pocket on those rare occasions.

I typically carry a Sig P365XL at 4 o’clock in a TT Gunleather XC Slim IWB holster with 2 reloads on weak side. During the cooler months I’ll carry an HK45C in a TT Gunleather XC Slim also at 4 o’clock with 2 reloads on weak side.
View Quote

@Guitargod1985

I've looked at the clips some. I guess it wouldn't make me extremely uncomfortable. But I don't really think it's worth it TBH. IMHO, snubby only gets carried in the pocket when I need to pocket carry, glock for IWB and everything works out great. I kinda like carrying the 442 in my pocket as a BUG along with the glock. Tough to carry 2 guns IWB in my experience (Even if one is weak side or appendix or whatnot) lol.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Went from a 642 to a 19 Rowland Special to a Sig 938 to a P365XL with an optic. My personal opinion would be a P365. If you get a 365X you have the option to add an optic later.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I moved away from J frames and tried a P365.  Didn't feel comfortable with the trigger pull and bought a SIG 938 and don't regret it a bit.  Far easier to carry than the J frame and it doesn't make me uneasy like the 365 did.  

P938 in a Vedder Lighttuck is a perfect combination of size, reliability, safety and dependability for me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I moved away from J frames and tried a P365.  Didn't feel comfortable with the trigger pull and bought a SIG 938 and don't regret it a bit.  Far easier to carry than the J frame and it doesn't make me uneasy like the 365 did.  

P938 in a Vedder Lighttuck is a perfect combination of size, reliability, safety and dependability for me.

View Quote
Give any thought to adding a safety to the P365?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I went from a 340M&P to a Beretta Pico. I also tried a Beretta Tomcat and a Seecamp. The Pico is the best of the pocket guns. Real sights and good reliability, plus you can find them under $200 if you look (or could a few months ago).

If you prefer a bigger pocket gun the Ruger Max-9 looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You have a wealth of good information here. Snubbys are great but in our time now they have been surpassed by many other pistols that are lighter, have more capacity, and are easier to carry.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have a wealth of good information here. Snubbys are great but in our time now they have been surpassed by many other pistols that are lighter, have more capacity, and are easier to carry.
View Quote

I'd disagree. For whatever reason I can shoot a snubby revolver like a laser at a rapid pace. I still haven't come across a small semi auto I like.

I just got rid of a 649 and model 66 Smith as they're heavy and obnoxious with 357's. I replaced them with an alloy framed six shot Charter Arms

That said, if I'm carrying something small, it's usually a pair of Airweights.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at  different size pistols see what size you like. Then buy a Vedder Comfort Tuck holster for it Link and order a Milt Sparks  "Nexus with magnetic closures" holster 6 months or so wait  What holster  you use makes a huge difference in how it carries these two are the most comfortable for full size guns.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My snub nose is a Colt Magnum Carry in 357 magnum, my semi auto is a Beretta Nano in 9x19, it's much easier to pocket carry and the reloads are faster.  If I was looking for something lighter than a S&W 442, I'd get the Beretta Pico in 380 ACP.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a Glock guy, but I sold my 2 G43's and went to the P365X with 4MOA Shield RMSc with glass. I now got 2 of them. One is none and all that. I'm happy with my decision. Hard to argue with 13 HST's and a 15 round spare.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
ooops...  Posted wrong thread
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My snub nose is a Colt Magnum Carry in 357 magnum,
View Quote

I regret not buying one of them when they first hit the market.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I switched I went G26 because piss on a single stack. I would look at a 365 nowdays.
View Quote
I went from 642 to a Glock 26.  I have looked at 365 but am so comfortable with Glocks so it makes no sense to change for such a little difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
M&P Shield 2.0.

Very slim & trim and with enough uumph! to get the job done.

The trigger of the 2.0 is very nice, night sights are an easy option, and it carries very slim so you can wear it all the time.

my .02 cents

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm on the fence about switching up my EDC. I'm looking for thoughts/ opinions please.

Currently I carry a S&W 642 (I know my funeral) however, I want to switch to a semi auto. However, I can't make up my mind on what to get. I'm mainly a Glock shooter, but I'm not too concerned with brand, mainly concerned with reliability and weight.

The biggest hurdle for me is size/weight of a semi auto vs the snub nose. For those of you that have switched, what did you choose and why.

I'm also writing this, cause I have literally looked at every single stack offering on the market today, and I can't make up my mind.
View Quote

I used to carry a 637 quite a bit.   My current small(ish) gun is a 43x.    I started w/ a 43 and bought a frame on gunbroker.     It's been going almost everywhere w/ me.  I'm a lot more comfortable w 10 rounds and 2 or 3 10 round reloads than I am w/ 5 in the current environment.    And you can go w/ 15 w/ the Shield mags if you want to go that route.  I'd get the steel mag release if I did.

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I carried my P365XL in a Black Arch holster at 3 O’clock with a spare mag in a neomag.  Currently carrying a SW 327PC in a Falco holster.  I seem to shoot revolvers better so I’ve been carrying it more often.  Trying different holster locations by moving it in small increments to find the best carry position.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve owned almost all the semi sub compacts recently. If I can’t shoot it very well then it gets sold.
    Love the 365 but can’t hit shit with it. Sold it. And bought again twice.  Back to a 43 for 2nd time. I’m “ok” with it.
    43x and 48 no better or worse.
Had p938 and wish I still did. Shot it very well! Sold for profit.
  Never liked anything Springfield until I held the new hellcat. Bought and love it! Shoot amazing for me. Then got offered way more than msrp for it so I sold it.
   Best small semi I’ve shot “for me” is the walther pps m2. For some reason it’s a laser for me. Love that the striker is not fully cocked when loaded. The trigger pull finishes the cock and releases.  But gave it to my old man. Great gun great price. Little bigger than the 43 though.
     Only small one left is the 43. But lately I’ve been off body carrying in work backpack if not on me then next to me. Hard for me to hide a gun with tucked in dress shirt and pants. Especially when I have to crawl under a machine to fix something.
Backpack means bigger gun.  Cz p10s. It’s g19 size (ish). And shoots great. But mine as well carry a g19 etc if I was going to iwb carry it.
Owb cool weather carry/not working carry is different depending on the mood.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#22]
There is nothing wrong with a S&W 642 if you can hit with it. Five shots will require that you carry a reload IMO, something I don't do with my G23.

Practice is paramount, especially the reloading of a five shot j-frame. If you have to use that revolver you'll be running on empty if confronted by only one criminal. If they have associates you better not miss.

S&W snub nosed revolvers are easy to conceal, that is their greatest attribute. They almost always work, which is another strength. Practice drawing and dry firing at least once a week using snap caps. Do it until it's second nature then do it some more. Getting five shots off quickly from the draw isn't going to happen without practice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Had the G43X working the 25 yard line

This gun continues to impress. My Airweight .38s have become BUGs only at this point

Whatever you choose make sure you are training at distance with a timer... everyone looks good at 10 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
For the smallest. go Sig P365. For the best go Sig P365x. The MagGuts would give you 10+1 and a spare 14 with the 365, and 14+1 and a 14 spare for the 365x.

If you can't get past a Glock, the 43x would be the choice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Had the G43X working the 25 yard line

This gun continues to impress. My Airweight .38s have become BUGs only at this point

Whatever you choose make sure you are training at distance with a timer... everyone looks good at 10 yards.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/4EDC21C7-7DC3-4E59-A9E6-22E3E1345A80_jpe-2087633.JPG
View Quote

I need a new timer but this was a pretty quick pace. 25 yards DA of course.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
All day everyday is a Ruger LCRx AIWB. In the winter (jacket / coat months) a SW 649 in the jacket pocket as well.

If I know I’m going to a rough area a SW M&P 45 is close by.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I carry a gun 8-12+ hours a day at work, so when I'm off duty I prefer something that doesn't constantly remind me that I'm carrying it.  

My EDC is a 640 J-frame in a Desantis Nemesis with two speed loaders in my cargo pocket.  Lots of new guys talk shit on qualification day, but they always get real quiet when my group is smaller than theirs out to 25 yards...  It's all about training and practice.

If I'm going somewhere like a movie theater or shopping mall I carry a G19 (AIWB in a Vanguard II) with at least one spare mag.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#28]
G48 for hot weather. Its slim enough it doesnt bother me. Also its a glock and similar to a glock 19 for sight radius.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I picked up a Glock 43x early last fall and got some of the Shield Arms 15 round mags.
I'm very happy with that.
View Quote

I have and carry a S&W Model 38 J frame mostly as a Bug.  I sometime carry a G43X with an extra 15 round mag.  I have one of the newer mag catches installed.  I've have never had a problem with the mags or the mag catch.  I have an earlier sliver slide.G43X.  I would maybe look at a SIG 365. They weren't around when I picked up theG 43X.    I think of firearms as tools. I often will carry based on threat level.  

Regards
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]
granted the capacity is a bit lower, but the teeny tiny s&w shield is fantastic in my experience. great trigger for a gun that size so far as i've experienced. easy enough to shoot, especially considering the size. even my 9 (8 at the time?) year old did well with it, with no experience.

i can't say i've shot all the sub compact guns out there, but this one didn't disappoint me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#31]
There is also the shield plus which gives you up to 13.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I went through basically all of the small carry guns.  1911/Glock guy so I like the sig p938.  Couldn’t shoot a 43 or 48 for shit so sold them even though I love full size glocks.
365 hated it.
Hellcat I actually really liked but buddy wanted the tan one I had so I sold it. I bought a mnp shield plus. So far I love that thing! Granted not many rds through it. But it’s basically same size as regular shield but more boolets.  

I might have got used to the g48 if I could have waited for the high cap mags that are always sold out.

Favorite best shooting for me was my Walther pps m2. Gave it to my dad. But I’ll get it back sooner than later or buy another one if find a deal again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#34]
"Quick trip to the store"
"Walking the dog"
"In a good area"

Regardless of where 365 > snub
Always try to carry what is most advantageous.
Carry not reduced standing in a nice spot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"Quick trip to the store"
"Walking the dog"
"In a good area"

Regardless of where 365 > snub
Always try to carry what is most advantageous.
Carry not reduced standing in a nice spot.
View Quote

How about something that you can shoot better and manage barriers better?
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I said always try to carry what is most advantageous.
I did not define it.

Invariably, for some (not me) most advantageous equates to most convenient.

This is better:
Try to always carry a handgun you would prefer to defend yourself with, wherever.

Nowhere would I prefer a snub over a 365 / Glock 19.
I had snub revolvers in the past, a Glock 19 (or 365) is easier to shoot quickly, accurately, repeatedly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I did not define it.

This is better:
Try to always carry a handgun you would prefer to defend yourself with, wherever.

I had snub revolvers in the past, a Glock 19 (or 365) is easier to shoot quickly, accurately, repeatedly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not define it.

This is better:

I agree, nowhere would I prefer a g19 over my 2.75" m66-8.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recall you previously posted pics with a 1911 AIWB why the switch?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still carry them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Mag capacity flexibility and weaponlight capability is important to some of us.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#41]
When I switched I went with a Walther PPS M2. Have now changed to a P365XL with Magguts.

14 rds 9mm > 8 rds 9mm > 5 rds .357.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#42]
J frames have been relegated to BUG duties only.

I’ve carried a J on and off duty for 25+ years

The G43 is a better choice for me and far more capable

Better sights, 7+1, better trigger, quicker reload and ballistics equal to or better than .38+P

25 yard hits are a breeze... I can shoot a J frame well but not nearly as fast and accurately.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I carry a G19 usually but I used to keep a snub nosed Smith revolver for certain carry situations. That had mostly been replaced by a Sig P365 for me. It had some early teething problems (like a lot of guns) but those seem to be sorted out. I carry a 10 round mag and a 15 round spare.

5 or 6 shots will likely be enough, but if they aren’t I’m going to be super happy that I’ve got a lot more in reserve.

FWIW that Smith has been replaced by a Kimber K6s. If I was going to carry a small revolver the Kimber will be it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#45]
My old pocket and IWB carry gun was a Colt Magnum Carry, a steel frame 6 shot 357.  I switched over to a Beretta Nano.  The reason was that it held 6+1 in the gun, it is 0.90" thick, easier to conceal in a pocket, in a holster on the belt, there is no real difference in my opinion. The other big advantage, after size is reload capability.  I carry 8 round magazines for a reload, in the off side pocket and I can reload the Nano much more quickly than I can the Magnum Carry.  If I had to chose something today, it would be the original Sig P365, at 1.06" thick it is slightly thicker than the Nano but it allows for pocket carry with a 10+1 pistol, for reloads I would carry the 12 round magazines.  If I needed the lightest pocket pistol to carry in sweats or athletic shorts, I would get a Beretta Pico in 380 ACP or maybe try new Ruger LCP MAX, an 11 ounce 380 with 10 and 12 shot magazine capacity.  I still do on occasion carry the Colt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#46]
My usual daily carry is a Kimber micro 9. It's a step up from the Colt Mustang 380 that I used to carry. But if I'm going someplace particularly dangerous Oregon carrying a lot of money I step up to a Para P12.
But I keep a Charter Arms .45acp revolver in the car. The theory being that even my wife can pick it up and pull the trigger and it will go bang.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My old pocket and IWB carry gun was a Colt Magnum Carry, a steel frame 6 shot 357.  I switched over to a Beretta Nano.  The reason was that it held 6+1 in the gun, it is 0.90" thick, easier to conceal in a pocket, in a holster on the belt, there is no real difference in my opinion. The other big advantage, after size is reload capability.  I carry 8 round magazines for a reload, in the off side pocket and I can reload the Nano much more quickly than I can the Magnum Carry.  If I had to chose something today, it would be the original Sig P365, at 1.06" thick it is slightly thicker than the Nano but it allows for pocket carry with a 10+1 pistol, for reloads I would carry the 12 round magazines.  If I needed the lightest pocket pistol to carry in sweats or athletic shorts, I would get a Beretta Pico in 380 ACP or maybe try new Ruger LCP MAX, an 11 ounce 380 with 10 and 12 shot magazine capacity.  I still do on occasion carry the Colt.
View Quote

I still regret not picking up a Colt Magnum Carry.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I still regret not picking up a Colt Magnum Carry.
View Quote

Go get a Colt King Cobra Carry, it's basically the same gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top