Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steve Chaney, Baton Rouge PD in 1977

Page 37

Originally a Massad Ayoob article in American Handgunner.
View Quote
Amazingly, officer Chaney was indeed able to reload his revolver during a fight. But he got hit with a tire iron and stabbed while he was doing it. Which pretty much illustrates the point I'm trying to make.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
This fellow is very, very fast at reloading his revolver.

With an autoloader, he'd be three times faster, less likely to fumble it, and he'd only have to reload a third as often.

There's a reason pretty much every police department and every military outfit has ditched their revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov3H-_WQwAI&t=2116s

About 1:07:00 into the vid they talk about a revolver reload in a fight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Miami Dade shoot out 1986.
Mirales reloaded his 38
View Quote
Wasn’t Mirales. He emptied a shotgun, then used his revolver to end the fight.

Another agent, across the street, emptied his revolver, went to back-up J-frame, fired a round, then reloaded his full size revolver to continue the fight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My FIL was a deputy sheriff in Louisiana in the 80s. Carried a Colt Trooper MkIII. He shot at and disabled the getaway car of some half-assed bank robbers on one occasion, but I don't know if he had to reload.

What saved his life one day was the perp who got his revolver NOT knowing how to reload it.

Pop got one round off into the perp and lost his revolver to him when they went hands-on and to the ground. Perp got off the other five rounds, hitting Pop three times. While he was trying to figure out how to reload with the speed loader, backup arrived...
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most gun fights were not historically recorded.  For purposes of a police investigation maybe, but not something readily available online.  Unless it was some watershed event, like Miami and Newhall, like mentioned.  When revolvers were standard in police use, reloads were taught and used in quals.  How often they happened on the street, who knows.  I have talked with two old cops who have used revolvers in shootings.  Neither reloaded, one dropping the bad guy at close range wth one shot, the second getting hit in his primary arm and emptying his cylinder with his weak hand and then going for his backup revolver, which he didn’t fire.

I’m sure that some time in almost 100 years of revolvers being the prevalent sidearm, someone has reloaded one during a fight.  My 642 is primarily a BUG.  I do not carry a reload for it.
View Quote
Solid post fella
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
That PASGT, shield and duct tape. Nice!
Looks like a a very good time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#11]
In this excellent thread on Lightfighter.net, Pat Rogers talks about executing a reload during a gunfight...

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/revolvers-ii?page=4
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok. So you want to see if a gun that holds more rounds and has to do less reloads, shoots faster than a gun that holds less rounds and has to do more reloads. I can do that math in second grade before I picked up a handgun. You want to do more shooting and less reloading. Not the same of both. A fool knows you can do one reload faster than three. The type of gun makes no difference. And I would have to do the third just to shoot one round.
View Quote
There's a way to solve that.
We do it on plate shoots. Everyone loads 5 per.

15 round course

Revolvers load 5
Semis 5 in each mag.

Quite a few of the semi guys drop mags (which then by rules can't be used) so they take 5 misses.

Rarely do the revolver guys drop anything.

As to old tech being inferior.
Years ago I did CAS.
I carried 1858s with conversion cylinders. When we had one round reloads I used an extra conversion cylinder with one round that I kept in a bp cylinder pouch on my belt.

I always reloaded way faster than the Colts.

If you practice with it, it is almost as fast as a modern speed loader
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Amazingly, officer Chaney was indeed able to reload his revolver during a fight. But he got hit with a tire iron and stabbed while he was doing it. Which pretty much illustrates the point I'm trying to make.
View Quote
Not really. It perfectly illustrates the point EdgecrusherXES is trying to make.

If you rely on reloads of any kind during a CCW situation, you are not at all prepared.

Chaney got lucky
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]
There are things I like about revolvers over Auto's. Reloading isn't one of them. I have done  12 - 12's with a K frame shooting 38's. It is easier with a 9mm.

that is 12 rounds 12 seconds, 1 reload starting from holster
Link Posted: 10/27/2019 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Heard some stories from guys who were S.W.A.T./ cops in The 80s. They couldn’t have speed loaders because they looked “too aggressive” on the belt.

Reloading from speed strips or a little pouch was the norm, and they all hated them. Especially if they couldn’t load a full cylinder to get back in a fight.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's a way to solve that.
We do it on plate shoots. Everyone loads 5 per.

15 round course

Revolvers load 5
Semis 5 in each mag.

Quite a few of the semi guys drop mags (which then by rules can't be used) so they take 5 misses.

Rarely do the revolver guys drop anything.

As to old tech being inferior.
Years ago I did CAS.
I carried 1858s with conversion cylinders. When we had one round reloads I used an extra conversion cylinder with one round that I kept in a bp cylinder pouch on my belt.

I always reloaded way faster than the Colts.

If you practice with it, it is almost as fast as a modern speed loader
View Quote
Your "solution" doesn't bring revolvers up to autoloader performance; it puts an artificial handicap on autoloaders.

Why would anyone in a gunfight deliberately handicap himself?
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
The problem is, that the vast majority of shootouts, whether using a revolver or a semi-auto, don't require a reload.

One agency I worked for, which had a lot of shootings, had figured out that our per gun fight shot average was 2.6 rounds in a seven year period before I retired in 2010.  And, this number was skewed because of one agent who had fired 45 rounds from an M-4 in a shootout in Afghanistan.

So, I doubt it was much  different in wheelman days (which I was around for).

Even now, most of the time, when you see officers dumping two or three mags in an engagement, they really would have been better off aiming more and shooting less.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same here.
View Quote
It's how I setup a belt when I carry my .44mag because I do the lefthand reload (I forget what it's called) where you open cyl, use left hand to push cyl out, put fingers through opening, left thumb ejects, right hand retrieves speed loader and inserts rounds, drop speed loader, close cyl with left hand while right hand grips gun.

I found it a lot more natural than the other styles.  Mostly because it made use of both hands more efficiently.

Now you all have me wanting to go to the range with some .44spl and do reloading practice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not reading the entire thread as I find carrying a revolver, in today's world, a poor choice.  However, the OP might find a record of revolver reloads buried in the 1986 Miami Shoot Out.

Short story:  carry an autoloader.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Came across this quote on the Lucky Gunner website:

"It may not be impossible to reload a revolver during a gunfight, but you’ll have a tough time finding any examples of it happening in the real world. Tom Givens, one of the most experienced and respected firearms instructors in the country, has been quoted as saying, 'In 40 years I’ve been doing this, I have never found a case where someone successfully reloaded a revolver in a close range gunfight.' Since 90-95% of armed civilian gun fights happen inside the “close range” of 7 yards, I’d say your chances of pulling off that revolver reload are slim to none.

On the other hand, we have plenty of examples of botched revolver reload attempts under fire."
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Came across this quote on the Lucky Gunner website:

"It may not be impossible to reload a revolver during a gunfight, but you’ll have a tough time finding any examples of it happening in the real world. Tom Givens, one of the most experienced and respected firearms instructors in the country, has been quoted as saying, 'In 40 years I’ve been doing this, I have never found a case where someone successfully reloaded a revolver in a close range gunfight.' Since 90-95% of armed civilian gun fights happen inside the “close range” of 7 yards, I’d say your chances of pulling off that revolver reload are slim to none.

On the other hand, we have plenty of examples of botched revolver reload attempts under fire."
View Quote
How many examples did he give of successful reloads in a close in gunfight with autos?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/dont-carry-reload/amp/
https://sofrep.com/gear/saturday-screeds-put-bullets-meaty-bits/

Reloads really aren't the significant factor some are trying to make them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
... Reloads really aren't the significant factor some are trying to make them.
View Quote
With fifteen-round pistols, reloads probably aren't a significant factor.

With five-round revolvers, maybe they are.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... Reloads really aren't the significant factor some are trying to make them.

Maybe not
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top