BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shame? That has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on here and that says a lot.
View Quote
Textbook
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Short shirts?
View Quote
Bingo!  I wear tall size shirts, and they are still shorter than what a standard shirt is on the average man.

I am 6' 2", but my legs are not that long, (33 1/2" inseam, down from 34" in my youth).

Both shirts and jackets are short on me, even if sold as "tall".

IWB is comfortable for me, or at least tolerable.  I like to carry a Gov't model.

If some thing smaller is needed, I use a Ruger LCR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
the only reason i can see that anyone would IWB at any position would be for deeper concealment
View Quote
Um yeah....I rather not explain to anyone why I carry or attract the attention cause OWB prints like a mofo on me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IWB if done right, has an almost undetectable bulge behind a loose shirt, and pulls the entire gun tight up against the body.  A standard holster will always be easy to see under a shirt.
View Quote
I've found this to be true and it's why I IWB carry. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think some people take pride in printing or causing alarm. It seems like it's a status symbol or something for them.
View Quote
They want people to notice. Same type that carries a rifle at low ready in Starbucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think some people take pride in printing or causing alarm. It seems like it's a status symbol or something for them.
View Quote
Sometimes I think some people think IWB is the only way to carry effectively.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of us who print like myself honestly do not care about it because no one pays attention to me anyways.  Not a status symbol or trying to cause alarm just I am a slender guy and I am going to carry what I want to carry not be told that if I print I am doing it for attention or status.  I am not going to change my life and what I do because of what others think or the possibility of an OH NOES situation where I bend over and the heal/grip of my pistol protrudes or my shirt uncovers.  Also those who do print who cares no one actually does notice them since everybody is to busy texting, Facespacing, or Instatweeting selfies.

I carry IWB or OWB depending how my back feels that day.  IWB is not the only way to carry effectively but usually conceals better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's my point; that little bit of extra concealment benefits who exactly?  Not me; I'm wearing an unbuttoned shirt as cover, so if it blows open and someone sees it, their reaction (or lack of reaction) is going to be the same (one might argue IWB exposure would be more alarming because it looks like a gun stuffed into the pants, not in a holster which looks more legitimate).  Less printing?  OK, but I don't care if prints less or more.  So we've come full circle; I prioritize concealment last on the list of four, because for me where I live and the way I think, it's logical to do so. If I lived in MA or CA, I would prioritize differently.

EDIT to add; I can also get a 'firing grip' before the draw much easier OWB than IWB.  YMMV
View Quote
Here in MA we have “suitability” from the police chief who issues our LTC. Printing isn’t a problem and we don’t have any laws prohibiting brandishing a weapon. It falls under disturbing the peace or assault. Unfortunately if that happens the chief can use his suitability claim and revoke your license.

We are an open carry state, but it’s frowned upon because (see above).

I am very comfortable carrying IWB and all it takes is practice to be fast and accurate. I can conceal my gun well (typically a G19, sometimes a G43 or Shield). And I can wear normal size clothes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yeah, I ditched IWB for OWB covered a while ago.  soo much easier on my back
View Quote
This.  I use Bullard Bodyguard holsters and they are raked heavily.  With a Glock 19 or Commander the barrel barely dips below the belt line.  Good belt and holster makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
IWB is still closer to the body and hides the bottom part of the gun in your pants, allowing for a lighter and shorter cover garment to conceal well, like a T-shirt or button down shirt. While OWB is more comfortable, it tends to stick out a bit more, and you need a heavier longer cover garment, like a light jacket or something. So summer IWB, and winter OWB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because I ain't fat and a handgun sticks out several inches from my body if I owb carry.  Iwb hides it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20170120-134038-129855.jpg
View Quote
Nice rig. My rig came in today for my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry anything from a G26 to a G20 at 3:30. Either IWB or OWB depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I'm wearing and mood.

A lot of time I carry IWB even when that level of concealment is not necessary just because it's so comfortable with a nice hybrid holster that spreads out the weight. Just have to have pants that are big enough.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry mostly OWB because of all the reasons mentioned, but I've been at it a while. I'm in Texas, and I'm a dude, so pretty sure nobody is staring at my hips when I'm walking around. I don't worry too much about it, but that's only recently. I still have a hard time with OC since I'm in the Dallas area and it's not common. I also don't want to cause a commotion with suburban people who may not be as up on the laws or comfy with them.

concealed means obscured from view, not completely and totally undetectable. So if it prints a little or whatever then I'm not too worried in most cases. So I can carry a bigger handgun in a real OWB holster with a light, and that gives me the warm and fuzzies more than an LCP in the pocket. not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've got a young kid and pregnant wife to worry about, too, so I want actual firepower should the need arise.

it's good to have options. I knew I was going to a toddler's bday party, so I decided to wear IWB. I knew there would be a lot of bending over and picking up kids, so to me the risk of printing/exposing was not worth the benefit.

I typically find IWB is more supported, too, since it has the whole part of the belt and some material in the pants supporting it, not just the outer aspect of a belt. Yes I have good quality gear, but at the end of the day you gotta go with what you're most comfortable with, and having a gun on you beats not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The funny thing is most conceal carry people actually think printing equal detection. That is far from the case. Recently i carry a rex zero compact printing crazy around a bunch of cops. Not one noticed i was carrying. Talked to one of my customer on guns topics. I asked him if he was carrying. He was more then happy to show me his iwb carry gun. Again my gun was printing like crazy and he was blissfully unaware i was carrying. Didn't even ask me if i was carrying.

i carry owb because it is very comfortable. Printing is a self conscious issues not a concealment issue. Don't believe me, carry the biggest gun you have in owb for a day/week/month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's also a good way to fracture a vertabrea
View Quote
Yes there is a long line in every hospital for SOB victims. It is nonsense. How many time do you read in the news a sob person fractured his vertebrae. It is in the same percentage as 3-4 o'clock carrier fracturing their pelvis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Everything is a compromise.

IWB conceals better than OWB. As a general rule, you can carry a larger pistol IWB than OWB without printing.

The downsides of IWB are:

The draw is slightly slower because the gun is more tucked in to your body.

It's less comfortable.

Your pants will look like MC Hammer's pants when you are not carrying.

And this is the deal-breaker for me: Fingers turn into flippers during an adrenaline dump. When you draw, your first grip should be your only grip. No adjusting. What you get when your pistol is in its holster is what you keep. Establishing an initial good grip in the holster  is difficult with IWB because you have to dig your thumb between your skin and your pistol, and your trigger finger isn't even touching the holster at first, it's touching your belt or pants.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes there is a long line in every hospital for SOB victims. It is nonsense. How many time do you read in the news a sob person fractured his vertebrae. It is in the same percentage as 3-4 o'clock carrier fracturing their pelvis.
View Quote
Yeah, I agree that falling on a pistol carried anywhere on body would likely cause more injuries than if you weren't carrying at all.  I do think that in an altercation you are more likely to land on your back than on your side or front though.  I have no data to back that up other than the limited (and admittedly subjective) sample of fist-fights that I've been involved in.

My issue with SOB is that (for me) it's tougher to access than strong-side or AIWB.  I would imagine that would be orders of magnitude tougher if I'm already physically entangled with an attacker.

I have also heard the argument that it is very easy to muzzle yourself on the draw if you aren't well practiced.  I would imagine that this is largely a training issue though and something that a dedicated practitioner can overcome.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I agree that falling on a pistol carried anywhere on body would likely cause more injuries than if you weren't carrying at all.  I do think that in an altercation you are more likely to land on your back than on your side or front though.  I have no data to back that up other than the limited (and admittedly subjective) sample of fist-fights that I've been involved in.

My issue with SOB is that (for me) it's tougher to access than strong-side or AIWB.  I would imagine that would be orders of magnitude tougher if I'm already physically entangled with an attacker.

I have also heard the argument that it is very easy to muzzle yourself on the draw if you aren't well practiced.  I would imagine that this is largely a training issue though and something that a dedicated practitioner can overcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two of my shooting buddies are ER docs. They are both adamant that carrying a hunk of metal over your spine in the small of your back is a really bad idea medically.

From a self-defense perspective, Small-of-the-back is a slow and awkward draw, it's difficult to defend a pistol there when grappling, and it's really uncomfortable when sitting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Cause when you run a fullsize pistol (g17 size or 5" 1911) my shirt tails arent thaaatttt long. I have both IWB and OWB holsters with identical ride height, and teh OWB will show the bottom 1-2" all day long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also a good way to fracture a vertabrea
Except there is more padding at 4oclock and a stronger bone at 3 o'clock. Even if it is an equal percentage, which patient has a better quality of life after discharge and shorter hospital visit?? The one with a fractured vertabra or hip/pelvis?

There is a reason why military/police who wear duty belts are instructed to not place there handcuffs at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd NEVER SOB carry. Chances are, if you are "in fear of your life" and need to deploy your pistol... odds are probable that you could already be scuffling with an adversary. Odds from such scuffling are also high you could wind up on your back (as most people in fight wind up). Ouch. Not for me, thanks. IWB 3:30 or AIWB for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think he's asking about a concealed gun carried at 3:00, either IWB or OWB.

The advantage for IWB is it helps prevent social stigma that some people feel when they carry.  They support gun rights, believe in them strongly, but are worried about the shame or embarrassment if they're discovered carrying.  Deeper concealment means they are less likely to have to explain to the friends, family, or occasionally strangers, why they feel they need a gun.

Because of this shame, they prioritize concealment above comfort and access.  The level of shame will even cause some to carry a less effective gun in a marginally effective caliber so that they can hide it even better.

Yes, OWB will print a little bit more, but allows a regular sized gun, which almost everyone shoots better, in a proven caliber to be carried in comfort, with fast access.  Thus the prioritization is; effective gun/caliber, fast one-hand access, comfort, and then concealment.

By this point a few readers will be angry at this response; this is called cognitive dissonance.  The proof is in how they would answer the question asked by a stranger, "Hey, what is that lump under your shirt?"
If the answer is, "It's my pistol" then they carry without shame.
If the answer is, "It's my colostomy bag" (or other similar stupid answer) then they're ashamed of their carry.  Although sometimes it isn't shame but because the internet guru who does their thinking for them teaches that it is tactically advantageous despite the extreme; that even openly carried pistols are hardly noticed, and poorly concealed almost never.

I've seen guys whose pistol barrel was exposed when they bent over (shorter cover shirt) and nobody cared. My unbuttoned shirt blows open now and then, nobody cares. My P229 rides comfortably in an OWB holster at 3:00- I can draw quickly and reliably even if there is something in my off-hand, as is almost always reality.  Same is true with a 1911 in a cross-draw (and I can draw that with either hand).  And yes, I recognize that a few people will devote the time to practice, and will be able to draw very fast from deeper concealment, but do not at all believe that is typical.

So the long and short of it is this; concealed carry is a series of compromises.  Gun/caliber, access, comfort, and concealment are the big four compromises we all face when we carry concealed.  It's all in how you prioritize those.
View Quote
The shame runs deep in me....... way down deep in my pants.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd NEVER SOB carry. Chances are, if you are "in fear of your life" and need to deploy your pistol... odds are probable that you could already be scuffling with an adversary. Odds from such scuffling are also high you could wind up on your back (as most people in fight wind up). Ouch. Not for me, thanks. IWB 3:30 or AIWB for me.
View Quote
I've only once been on my back in a fight once. It's when I was bouncing and had to hold onto a former agressive patron while I waited for cops to arrive. I found it easiest to be holding onto him and release him to the cops if I was on my back.

I think whoever started the "most people in a fight wind up on their back" myth, had never been in a fight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#24]
People don't notice the printing from  IWB as much as one that is OWB carry.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Agreed. It’s flannel and hoodie season over here. Just picked up a raven concealment perun for my g19. So much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
People don't notice the printing from  IWB as much as one that is OWB carry.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow. There's some seriously ridiculous statements going on in this thread. If you fell hard enough to break your back, your pistol isn't the determining factor. We tell you in DT not to carry handcuffs at 6:00, because if you're trying to secure someone that is resisting, the last thing you want to do is have to reach blindly behind your back. Stigma and shame of carrying?  I dunno, I'm a gen Xer and that just sounds like a millennial way of thinking. Nobody notices open carry?  Try OC in a school. Trust me, I do it almost weekly and people definitely notice. They may not say anything directly to you, but they notice.

OP, to answer your initial question, I actually prefer to IWB carry around 4-5 o'clock. I carry a large pistol, and IWB gets me a nice snug feeling. Going OWB, I have to tighten the belt tighter to keep it from flopping. So, for me, IWB=snug/more comfortable and OWB=tight/less comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I prefer iwb.

Carry a g19 most of the time.

Inside the belt holds the gun closer, I can draw just as fast from iwb @ 3, faster aiwb (I've gone to 100% aiwb).

Owb is more comfortable, marginally.  Once you iwb long enough it just becomes comfortable and I'm using kydex holsters with a clip.

Not printing at all gives me an advantage as I dont have to worry about shirts riding up, and its impossible to tell I'm carrying.  I've hiked walked with my iwb guns and I dont find them to be any more uncomfortable than owb.

I oc at times and it's ok, more comfortable, but if I'm OC, then I'm using a safari land paddle retention holster....because it's a retention holster and I like being able to ditch the holster/gun easily without taking my belt off.

It's not a stigma thing.  If I'm going to conceal it, I'm going to conceal it...not just put a shirt over an obvious gun.

Iwb also let's me dress more smartly.

Shrug.  When it comes to being around a bunch of people I dont know, them not knowing I'm armed is a good thing.  I don't trust them, and it only takes one to give you a bad day by calling in a man with gun, or claiming I did something I didn't.  In the current political climate, it's a concern.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow. There's some seriously ridiculous statements going on in this thread. If you fell hard enough to break your back, your pistol isn't the determining factor. We tell you in DT not to carry handcuffs at 6:00, because if you're trying to secure someone that is resisting, the last thing you want to do is have to reach blindly behind your back.
View Quote
If your cuffs are behind you then your reaching blindly for them. Which is why you train. I used to carry a pair behind each hip so I could grab with either hand, blindly so I could keep my eyes out on known or potential threats.

As for falling. Having a large hunk of metal over your spine during a fall can absolutely cause a benign fall into a career ending fall.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top