Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2017 6:35:50 PM EDT
I want to broaden my options for deep carry. Currently in STL and going to go unarmed (except a folding knife) for a bit because I might get made with a G19 IWB in places that prohibit CCWs. 

What are your experiences with deep carry holsters? My daily carry gun options are S&W BG380, G43, and G19. Ankle carry is out, I normally wear jeans that just don't have enough room at the ankles. Same thing with pocket carry, not enough room in my pockets, even for the BG380. I'm too fat to carry AIWB comfortably (6'1" 205lbs office bod, but working on it). 

I have a decent belly band that I will carry my G43 in while running or playing tennis, but haven't really messed with that when wearing normal clothes. 

I'm just wondering what other holsters/methods might be out there. 

I thought about thunderwear or something similar. And then there's that urban carry thing that pulls out when you grab the tab on your belt. 

Anybody have any real world experience with something that works well? 

I know..., "wear different clothes," "lose the weight," "use the search function."
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Tactical pants have deep front pockets, I carried my beretta Nano in mine last week and it worked great and no printing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a retired school teacher, and regularly attend high school athletic events... I do not carry there, but pretty much elsewhere where allowed under Florida law carry daily with nylon cargo shorts.. I use a Recluse DS Cargo mode holsterl for my G43 and +2TT.. while it shows something in the pocket, it has a flap to prevent printing ... I can carry my LCP in my nylon fishing shirt top pocket, which is somewhat camouflaged by wearing suspenders
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 230. Have you tried appendix? I routinely carry a G19 there. I also thought I was too fat for AIWB carry but it actually conceals better there than some of my smaller guns do on my hip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 in a Recluse OS Solo.  Yes, that requires me to wear cargo pants instead of jeans, but the Wranglers are dirt cheap at WalMart.  Easy switch.  It works best with my shirt untucked.  On the occasions where it's more appropriate to tuck my shirt in I wear pants with deeper pockets.  I know you don't want a wardrobe change, but it's the best answer that I have come up with.  In return you get deep concealment with very easy access - you can have your hand on your gun without anyone even noticing.  Even locker rooms are no problem - the gun just stays in your pocket and no one ever needs to see it.  For less that $25 you can pick up a pair of pants and a cheap pocket holster for your .380, and if you decide you really don't like it you're not out much.  (I started with a DeSantis Nemesis and decided to upgrade to the Recluse to better conceal the outline.)

While I've never tried the Urban Carry G2, anything that requires two hands to operate makes me a little nervous.  And I don't know how well it would work when you're sitting.

Truth be told I'd rather have my Glock 19 than my Kahr, but most of the time pocket carry is so much easier that I just stick with it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 230. Have you tried appendix? I routinely carry a G19 there. I also thought I was too fat for AIWB carry but it actually conceals better there than some of my smaller guns do on my hip.
View Quote
I've tried it around the house and found it uncomfortable while sitting. I had a TRex Arms sidecar for a little while. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
There are strong feelings about Suarez that bubble up on this site from time to time, but his merry band of pranksters pirates discusses this kind of thing in detail and regularly.  

http://www.warriortalk.com/forum.php
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
6'1" 205 lbs, and you are claiming you are fat? You sound like a woman.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
6'1" 205 lbs, and you are claiming you are fat? You sound like a woman.
View Quote
I have a gut and like beer. The struggle is real. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a lenwood full battle dress holster for your g43. It's an aiwb but is much more comfortable than a g19 in a sidecar(his design is lacking anyways).
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I carried a USP 40C in a Smart Carry holster for 4 years. Never detected. 6' 180 lbs wore suspenders. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've tried it around the house and found it uncomfortable while sitting. I had a TRex Arms sidecar for a little while. 
View Quote
I don’t care for the Trex Sidecar type Holsters. I prefer either a single clip, overhook clips, or the loops. I tried a couple different styles and settled with the Eidolon. I would also be happy with a JM Custom Kydex as well and will probably try to pick up one of those eventually. As for sitting down, pull your pants up just a bit and put the gun up higher in your waist. Makes it much more comfortable in my experience.

I tried carrying in my hybrid a while back and it was uncomfortable as all hell and it printed like crazy compared to AIWB. It might just take a little getting used to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll give appendix carry another try. I have single clip kydex holsters with adjustable cant for all 3 guns. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Being a bigger boy, I think this would work great for you. I have some trouble taking full advantage of the design since I have the build of a twig.

Galco Skyops holster
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't a huge proponent of AIWB until a friend convinced me to try it. I took the plunge and bought a Tier1 Concealed Agis for my G19/APL-C combo and took it with me to NY over the weekend (I'm covered by LEOSA so sketchy but not verboten). 8-ish hours of driving to, in and from NY, and lots of running around in the city itself. I found it more comfortable than strong side carry while driving and no one was any wiser to the fact that I was carrying. Even my dad, who knows damn well that I carry, was shocked when I pulled the holster/mag caddy off after I got in. Told me that there was no hint that I had anything on me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For DEEP concealment Ruger LCP is what you seek.

I have literally forgotten it was in my pocket it's so small and light. Super easy to.conceal without printing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
After many years carry of off duty guns I tend to believe that I can carry virtually anything in a good inside the pants holster like a Milt Sparks so long as I match the correct shirt with it. If the shirt is a button up long sleeve shirt that one would tuck in you tuck the shirt in all the way around to where the gun is fold the tail up where the gun is tucking in front and back then on both sides pull the shirt out a little so its a tad baggy at the belt line its a normal look for big guys only skinny guys have skin tight shits so nobody pays any attention.  I've carried a 4 inch N frame S&W that way with nobody aware even the other cops I was with said where the hell did that come from when I had to pull it out. Buy your shirts a tad on the large size.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
A j frame is hard to beat.  Either in front pocket in pants with a pocket holster.  Or you may find you can do a j frame AIWB.  Because it's more sloped from the frame going into the grip, it resides a little easier in that spot.  And if you just use boot grips, it's so hard to see there is anything there even with a slightly baggy t shirt.  A button down with some room in it and there's no way you would know it was there.  Unless it wasn't long enough and you lifted up your shirt to expose it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Just buy a pair of jeans that are bigger.  I get the $15 pair of UrbanStar from Costco and they work great for ankle or pocket carry.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a lenwood full battle dress holster for your g43. It's an aiwb but is much more comfortable than a g19 in a sidecar(his design is lacking anyways).
View Quote
What's the Lennwood have that the sidecar doesn't? Not a fan of either style, just genuinely curious.

I usually carry Awib in a PHlster classic with a spare mag in a no name owb holder.

OP, try the belly band for EDC, it works well for normal dress.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry a XDS45 in this everyday at work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XK3JX1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&;psc=1

Its comfortable and stretches over the gut.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the Lennwood have that the sidecar doesn't? Not a fan of either style, just genuinely curious.

I usually carry Awib in a PHlster classic with a spare mag in a no name owb holder.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The owner takes pride in his work. The 2 peice design allows for more flexibility. It's just a better made holster.

The way the holster is formed makes it very comfortable and easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#23]
You are going to have to dress around the gun there is no way around it.  Where I live it's summer all year round and I front pocket carry a g43 daily.  I do this wearing truespec 24/7 cargo shorts. The front pockets are large.    I also carry a folding knife, flashlight, cell phone, spare mag, and wallet in the other pockets.   It's like having a bat belt in my pants and so comfortable I forget it's all there.   You do still need to wear a gun belt to hold up the extra weight.

To offset the "tactical" shorts I wear wear surf t shirts and flip flops all standard dress around here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don’t care for the Trex Sidecar type Holsters. I prefer either a single clip, overhook clips, or the loops. I tried a couple different styles and settled with the Eidolon. I would also be happy with a JM Custom Kydex as well and will probably try to pick up one of those eventually. As for sitting down, pull your pants up just a bit and put the gun up higher in your waist. Makes it much more comfortable in my experience.

I tried carrying in my hybrid a while back and it was uncomfortable as all hell and it printed like crazy compared to AIWB. It might just take a little getting used to.
View Quote
I dont think theres anything inherently wrong with the Sidecary type of holster.  Its just most guys who get a sidecar want it with a big gun and a big spare mag and that just requires a lot of real estate, which often is already taken up by excess body mass.

Heres a sidecar type holster (made by Last Line of Defense) that is very small and easy to carry for me.  Its for my Glock 42.

https://imgur.com/a/iZzCz
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The owner takes pride in his work. The 2 peice design allows for more flexibility. It's just a better made holster.

View Quote
And the owner of TRex doesn't take pride in his?  Two piece designs are inherently less durable than a single piece design.  As far as "just better made" that is entirely subjective.

Just playing devils advocate here.  I rarely carry my Sidecar but its not cuz its uncomfortable or poorly made.  Its just a huge damn holster that doesn't work with the relatively trim clothing style I lean towards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The strut/belt claw thing on that holster sucks. Pracically useless if you don't wear the perfect sized belt for it and just a little bit better if you do.
View Quote
Ya I hated the claw thing on my Sidecar.  Immediately removed it.  Didn't notice much difference in how the gun felt but it was a much bigger PITA getting the holster on the belt with that MFer on.  Hell to the no
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe give the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 a try? You can get that thing deep with a Glock 19. You can use the paracord tie around your belt and safely carry it as deep as you want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
SmartCarry
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure how deep carry and tiny gun became the paradigm.  You can easily carry your full sized gun virtually undetectable, you just have to think outside the box...or maybe inside the box....

Go to the post office- they give out free small flat-rate boxes- pick up a handful.
Put your holstered gun in the box- use some padding to keep it from rattling around in there.
Seal the box and address it somewhere.  Be creative, maybe put a yellow sticky on it that says "Don't mail until Friday" or some such.
Put it in your backpack or slingpack.
If you need it, open the box; if you don't need it don't open the box.
In places that will pat you down or search your bags; they will not open your mail.  If they x-ray bags then disregard.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#30]
It took me 2 weeks to get passed the pain and discomfort when I first tried appendix carry.  Now it's all I use.  5'8 215lbs.  Carry a G19 and an iwb mag carrier with a g17 mag on the other side of my belt buckle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Your Glock 43 in a Vanguard II would literally disappear AIWB

I know you said you were too fat, but i'm 6'1" 215lbs and can carry a G19 comfortably in one.

Amazon Product
  • Raven Concealment Systems VG2/Vanguard 2 Holster Lanyard Kit for Glock 42 and 43 , Black, Ambidextrous

Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#32]
My office job prohibits weapons, even knives. Well, being that I live in a free state, I say screwem.
Got a LCP Customer in the right front pocket and a spare mag in the left. Knife in the cargo pocket on the right, with the wallet and flashlight, keys in the left front cargo pocket.
I used to wear jeans to work, but that forced me to leave my gun in the car, which is a shitty option anywhere in Atlanta. Switched to cargo pants and much happier. There are so many options out there.
Carrying on my belt is simply not an option for me. The libs at the office would lose their shit if I was found out and I'd lose my job (which isn't a bad thing, now that I think about it lol).
So swith to cargo pants and carry the BG380 - I'd say sell it and buy a LCP instead - PSA has them for super cheap now. I just don't like the BG. Always carry a spare mag and for the love of Mike, shoot the shit out of it and the spare mag before carrying it! I carried another LCP custom for a year before finding out it has feeding issues with one of the spare mags I carried.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
After many years carry of off duty guns I tend to believe that I can carry virtually anything in a good inside the pants holster like a Milt Sparks
View Quote
Same here, though for me it was always Mitch Rosen leather....I used to EDC a full-size HK USP 45, and extra mag.   It's all about the quality holster - belt match-up, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Guess it may depend on your definition of deep concealment.  When they made cc legal in Wi, also had a job with a bunch of liberal tree huggers (mostly), including LE. Was not gonna give them the satisfaction of seeing anything printing, and they was looking hard.  S&W 638 in Ken Null upside down shoulder holster, with Duluth trading Co shirts (pleated under arms for "stretch").

Yes it took opening up the shirt, part of my definition of deep concealment.  Then I got fashion conscious and slowly adopted the untucked shirt casual style.  Am not of the opinion that nobody notices ya sticking that glock down the front of your pants, with only a t-shirt.  Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And the owner of TRex doesn't take pride in his?  Two piece designs are inherently less durable than a single piece design.  As far as "just better made" that is entirely subjective.

Just playing devils advocate here.  I rarely carry my Sidecar but its not cuz its uncomfortable or poorly made.  Its just a huge damn holster that doesn't work with the relatively trim clothing style I lean towards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@geoint
Sorry, just saw this.

No, the owner of Trex does not take pride in his work. There has been multiple threads here of members showing pictures of Trex holsters with very visible flaws and emails from the owner saying "oh well, we're to busy shooting to care".

The sidecar I had, had sharp, unfinished corners and edges. The design relies on screws to maintain tension. Lenwoods fbd relys on properly formed kydex which will lead to less cracking in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how deep carry and tiny gun became the paradigm.  You can easily carry your full sized gun virtually undetectable, you just have to think outside the box...or maybe inside the box....

Go to the post office- they give out free small flat-rate boxes- pick up a handful.
Put your holstered gun in the box- use some padding to keep it from rattling around in there.
Seal the box and address it somewhere.  Be creative, maybe put a yellow sticky on it that says "Don't mail until Friday" or some such.
Put it in your backpack or slingpack.
If you need it, open the box; if you don't need it don't open the box.
In places that will pat you down or search your bags; they will not open your mail.  If they x-ray bags then disregard.
View Quote
I like your style
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@geoint
Sorry, just saw this.

No, the owner of Trex does not take pride in his work. There has been multiple threads here of members showing pictures of Trex holsters with very visible flaws and emails from the owner saying "oh well, we're to busy shooting to care".

The sidecar I had, had sharp, unfinished corners and edges. The design relies on screws to maintain tension. Lenwoods fbd relys on properly formed kydex which will lead to less cracking in the long run.
View Quote
Your post made me start to wonder if I was allowing emotion to cloud my judgement about my Sidecar.  And I think it was.  I have to admit that that thing isn't as comfortable as other AIWB holsters I've had.  To be fair, it is also the largest AIWB holster I have but in order to really see if I was being fair or not I decided to buy another quality holster to compare it to.  Last Line of Defense (LLOD) makes fantastic holsters, I love the rig he built for my G42 so I just ordered another one for my G19/RMR/APL-C.  I will compare the two and let you guys know what I think once it gets here.

To be fair, I just ran my fingers over ever surface of my Sidecar and I couldn't find a single sharp edge.  I do dislike the double hook but I originally thought that would be a neccessity given the weight of all the shit its carrying.  But maybe I'll change my tune on that once my LLOD holster gets here as its a single hook.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#38]
How do you guys sit down while appendix carrying? I have a 43 and a Raven Vanguard and even with that I can't quite get it comfy. Have a small typical dad beer gut....
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:16:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How do you guys sit down while appendix carrying? I have a 43 and a Raven Vanguard and even with that I can't quite get it comfy. Have a small typical dad beer gut....
View Quote
As a general rule, the fatter you are the less comfy AIWB is.

But it isn't an automatic dealbreaker.  Towards the end of my marriage and time in the Army, I got pretty pudgy.  I could still carry my S&W 642 AIWB all day though.  It does take more maneuvering of the gun/holster on your belt.  Sometimes you'll wanna move it left, sometimes to the right..etc. No big deal.  I dont recall any issues with comfort.  But I had a nice rounded and leather backed holster by Custom Carry Concepts.  (Not a crossbreed type design, just a kydex holster with leather shaped and stuck to the back for comfort since leather is softer than kydex).  I also have a Vanguard but I don't think I've ever really used it much.  Was too worried about getting sweat/rust on the gun.

Since recovering from my divorce and getting back into shape, AIWB is even easier.  If I'm not in workout attire and I'm out of the house, I have my G42 on me 100% of the time.  I won't pretend I forget the gun is there, but I can swear that it isn't uncomfortable at all.  I've driven on all day road trips with this holster/gun on and had no discomfort (that I'd blame strictly on the holster) whatsoever.  These days I usually remove my holster while driving but thats more cuz I don't want the seatbelt to push on my holster and put uneven pressure on my groin if I get in a fender bender or worse.  Actually bought a Gcode RTI vehicle mount and opposite handed holsters just for this purpose.

I also have 2+ hour classes on opposite ends of campus which is almost a mile walk.  I never notice my holster bothering me there either. AIWB carry does "add inches to your front" which makes your gut look even larger than it really is.  Hence my choice of G42 and not G19 lol.  These days it wouldn't be as obvious or unflattering as when I was fatter but I'm a single dude on a college campus.  No fucking way am I intentionally gonna wear something that appears to add to my waistline if it isn't absolutely required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top