Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 2:01:32 PM EDT
1.) All leather
2.) two relatively close-together (not those wide-apart monstrosities) loops
3.) prefer sewn loops as to snaps - I never use the snaps, and they are just another weak point on a holster (but snaps are OK if solid, I can deal with them existing)
4.) no cant needed, has to be straight up for appendix carry.

Just looking for suggestions from actual use since these are some difficult to come by for Shields these days.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
bump?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I ask why leather?  Galco makes some decent holsters like what you are looking for but leather sucks for IWB or AIWB.  Reholstering is terrible as most collapse, draw is slower, and they are much thicker than kydex.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can I ask why leather?  Galco makes some decent holsters like what you are looking for but leather sucks for IWB or AIWB.  Reholstering is terrible as most collapse, draw is slower, and they are much thicker than kydex.
View Quote
I've carried leather IWB for over a decade, and not found even one kydex that is as comfortable.

IWB means it's pretty much against my skin - I want leather (every day, all day) for that, not hard plastic.  Reholstering has never been an issue; granted, it isn't as fast, but then it's a rare occasion that would even require an attempt to reholster fast.

The draw... I'm not sure how you're getting that it's slower, but I'm going with that that seems to be an opinion.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've carried leather IWB for over a decade, and not found even one kydex that is as comfortable.

IWB means it's pretty much against my skin - I want leather (every day, all day) for that, not hard plastic.  Reholstering has never been an issue; granted, it isn't as fast, but then it's a rare occasion that would even require an attempt to reholster fast.

The draw... I'm not sure how you're getting that it's slower, but I'm going with that that seems to be an opinion.
View Quote
Point 1&2 I use a G-Code Incog holster it has the tactical fuzz as they call it and make the kydex very comfortable against the skin.  When you get down to it leather or kydex you still have a hard object in your pants.  I used to carry leather myself for years then went hybrid and finally kydex is where I am at now.  I found that leather did not change comfort but the thinner kydex shell vs the thicker leather helped with the fatigue of having a bulky hard object in my pants (I know phrasing) all day.  

Point 3 leather holsters work off of pressure from your body for retention ultimately some have a bit of retention but nothing that would allow you to hold the holster upside down and shake it preventing it from falling free.  I know it is slower because I have put it to a timer I can consistently draw and fire faster with kydex this was one of the reasons I changed.  The other was I sweat a lot and live in S. Texas where most of the year it is hot.  Leather after awhile starts to smell, absorbs sweat and holds the salts, and they would tighten up little by little over time even with conditioning making draw slower.  I have a whole pile of used leather holsters in a box that I just gave up on because they honestly did not do as well as kydex and when you compare the two the kydex was thinner and more comfortable because the leather felt just as hard in the pants(I know phrasing again) as the kydex with something holstered.

Just my .02 check out Galco and Milt Spark for good leather.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand your angle.

It does make sense that retention with leather comes from the tightness of the belt, vs. that a kydex should be able to retain on its own.

I've never seen a kydex holster with loops that didn't look like the loops were an after-thought if attached to the holster body, wide-apart if not (which I dislike greatly), or that they were in some way monstrosities.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
5 Shot Leather SME Holster

Rather than telling the guy why he shouldn't use leather, give him a recommendation for what he's asking for.

WhY dUNt U uSe KyDEx?!?!
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5 Shot Leather SME Holster

Rather than telling the guy why he shouldn't use leather, give him a recommendation for what he's asking for.

WhY dUNt U uSe KyDEx?!?!
View Quote
That looks nice!

Going to research it.  Thank you.

Edit: researched - $200!  ouch.  I can see that it's worth it, but dang.....  

That's a piece of dream-kit.  Thank you for giving me something to consider.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That looks nice!

Going to research it.  Thank you.

Edit: researched - $200!  ouch.  I can see that it's worth it, but dang.....  

That's a piece of dream-kit.  Thank you for giving me something to consider.
View Quote
Leather is cheap.
Kydex is cheaper.

However, when you get into handmade leather goods, the price can get up there. If it were a $100 holster, the maker wouldn't make much of a profit.

Kydex is simple, but the equipment can be expensive now that there are makers using CNC machines.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I will also vouch for the 5Shot SME I have two of them they do conceal extremely well and are comfortable. John's work is outstanding his leather boning work provides for a considerable level of retention before it is even put on a belt. His wait times are quite long. Take a look at high noon holsters they have one called the public secret and one called the hideaway both are straight drop with a really strong metal clip attachment I think there might be other options as well and not to expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/s-w-m-p-shield-9mm.html

saw this the other, didn't have time to check it out...plan on taking a closer look next time in town.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/s-w-m-p-shield-9mm.html

saw this the other, didn't have time to check it out...plan on taking a closer look next time in town.
View Quote
?? gear to each his own but that shapeshifter aiwb looks like an abortion.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Desantis cozy partner checks your boxes other than cant and snap caps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Call TT Gunleather. I have his AIWB with a snap and it’s great. Ask him if he can make you a non snap loop. After I got mine I decided I wanted a reverse cant, Tim made me a different loop to accommodate free of charge. Good guy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Take a look at High Noon Holsters. I know  they have options for leather loops as well as metal clips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Try this one.

Magnet keeps it retained and all. I like it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try this one.

Magnet keeps it retained and all. I like it.
View Quote
Now that is pretty neat - and affordable.

I'm gonna look more into that company's offerings.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top