Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2017 3:57:02 PM EDT
Found this cool "retention" holster at the show awhile back...  Fits a Colt Official Police model.

Video Link (Mp4) to see the holster in action.

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats really cool....

Except for the whole put your finger in the trigger guard to release the holster thing........

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Horrible awful holsters that I think but am probably wrong were adopted by LAPD? Clamshell = try drawing that in your car or on the ground etc. Swivel = lets just guess where the holster is when you try to draw, maybe even upside down. Belt loop = handy feature that allowed the holster to flop and slide around on the duty belt. Best thing to happen with those was to be discontinued. And yes I did use a swivel holster (but not a clamshell) at one time many many years ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Which lever/button do I BANG.............................. pull/push?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
C'mon guys, we're talking a DA revolver with a 12-15 pound, 3/4" long trigger pull, not a Glock. The clam shell holsters were an idea that came and went with revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Safety Speed clamshell, quite a popular rig in it's day.  Very popular in southern California,used by LAPD for a number of years as well as other departments.  I have two of them , a four inch and a six.  Long out of production and Safety Speed Company has been out of business for several years now.

They show up on ebay with some regularity.  The six inch models are more common than the fours.  Generally cost over $100.  Fun to play with.  Can relive my Adam 12 days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats really cool....

Except for the whole put your finger in the trigger guard to release the holster thing........

View Quote
Not a big deal in the double action revolver days.  Covered trigger guards are a fairly recent development and tied to semi-autos.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice holster.  I carried one that was modified to remove the swivel and was a high rise.  I worked in Denver and no one had ever seen one so it was quite safe and no one knew how it worked.  The department eventually "upgraded" to the first generation retention holsters that retained the gun (Model 10 heavy barrel) but required two hands and a lot of concentration to re holster.  Hated the holster and went to a regular front cant thumb break.

Thanks for the memories.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#8]
The design came about in response to a perceived need.  Officers were found shot with their handgun still holstered and the safety strap on.

The holster shown was an attempt to prevent this.  The mind is fuzzy but thumb snaps came about around the same time for the same reason.

Oh, and there was much less emphasis on re-holstering at that time.  Seeing a cop standing around with a drawn weapon didn't get a bunch of snowflakes panties in a knot like it does today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top