Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2017 11:01:55 AM EDT
Alright, I need some input in this one.  My wife wants to get her CCL and a CC pistol.  We went to Cabelas to have her hold a few, and I've talked to her about the different actions and such.

Before we even asked for help, while I was explaining a few firearms to her, the guy at the counter pulled out a Ruger SR22 and said that's the gun she should get for self defense.  She did like the size, weight, and overall feel of it.

I love shooting my .22's, but I've never entertained carrying one for CC/self defense.

What are the opinions of Arfcom on this?  Personally, I want her to have something with a little more behind it like a .380 or 9mm.  Curious to see what ya'll think.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
We all want our wives to carry something bigger but 22 is a good training caliber and it works for conceal carry also. She has to take baby steps so if she likes the Ruger get it for her.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Does she want to piss off an attacker? A .22 will do that. Don't get her anything less than .380.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems like every single gunshot murder on Forensic Files is with a .22 or a .25.

It's obviously not the most effective choice, but if a .22 is what will get trained and carried, then that's the right caliber.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When my wife decided to get her license to carry, I got a S&W MP22 for her to get comfortable with, loading, working the action firing, safety, etc.  I also got a Ruger LCP ,380 for her carry pistol.  The deal was whenever we went to shoot, she could shoot the ,22 as much as she wanted but she had to shoot the ,380 at least twice before we left.  The first few times she was apprehensive but became comfortable with it.  By the time she took the course and the shooting segment she had 20 shots in a 12" circle.  Good enough in my book to carry
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
9mm, shield G43, LC9S, Kahr(pm9 I think?)...lots of good choices for a single stack 9mm that can easily be concealed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I would highly recommend against it, but if that's what she's comfortable with, then I guess something is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless she's arthritic, and even then there are better choices in .22" WMR, 5.7x28 mm, and .22" TCM.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Handguns of all but the monster calibers are terrible man stoppers. A .22lr will do her fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
a 22 in the hand/purse is way better than a 44 in the safe at home. I wish I could get my wife to like and shoot bigger caliber stuff, but she does really well with 22s. she enjoys them, knows how to work them, and can dump a lot of rounds center of mass very quickly. I'm sure it would get the job done.

that said I may suggest a 22 revolver. the weakness in 22s is the ammo, and I get jams with even good stuff. at least with a revolver you keep pulling the trigger until one works.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to go with a .380, don't get the Bodyguard or the LCP.  They're too small and too light, making them difficult to shoot.  My friend's .380 Bodyguard is far 'snappier' than my Sig 9mm P938.

The larger LC380 is a much better choice.  Felt recoil is minimal.

But really, when it comes to defensive handguns, there are three things I believe:

1.  The difference in 'stopping power' between the lesser calibers is minimal, as none of them have the ability to create traumatic permanent wound channels.
2.  Shot placement is key.  Hitting a vital organ with a .22 is far more effective than hitting a muscle with a 9mm.
3.  Most self-defense encounters end shortly after one or two shots are fired.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The biggest detractor for me with 22lr is reliability issues. I wouldn't feel too concerned with my wife carrying a Ruger SR22 as long as it was clean and loaded with something like stingers.

That being said, so long as she was comfortable and competent I would much rather her carry something 9x19 or larger.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Reliability of the ammo is one thing that definitely concerns me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
This ain't the 1930's.  When have you last had a bad primer in premium .22" LR?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are going rimfire do it right.  Buddy of mine carries one of these and is a firearms analyst in a major crime lab he sees a lot of DRT from .22 WMR.  I used to work as a medicolegal investigator and saw plenty myself.  

351 PD .22 WMR

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Better than no gun.

But for concealed carry their are smaller options than a sr22. The beretta bobcat is a good pistol and the tip up barrel is nice so she won't have to rack the slide to load the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
A .22LR in the hand beats a .45 ACP in the safe any day of the week. My wife enjoys shooting but carries a Glock 42 in .380. 

If I could find her an affordable polyframe striker fired pistol in .32 ACP I would. But no one makes a FN 1903 in a modern design. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to go with a .380, don't get the Bodyguard or the LCP.  They're too small and too light, making them difficult to shoot.  My friend's .380 Bodyguard is far 'snappier' than my Sig 9mm P938.

The larger LC380 is a much better choice.  Felt recoil is minimal.

But really, when it comes to defensive handguns, there are three things I believe:

1.  The difference in 'stopping power' between the lesser calibers is minimal, as none of them have the ability to create traumatic permanent wound channels.
2.  Shot placement is key.  Hitting a vital organ with a .22 is far more effective than hitting a muscle with a 9mm.
3.  Most self-defense encounters end shortly after one or two shots are fired.
View Quote
I agree... my LCP is not fun to shoot. Now the G42 is fantastic and a Beretta 84 is a pussycat. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
As I have gotten older I have downsized my carry pistols. Currently I carry an NAA mini in 22LR daily, and when clothing allows a SIG P238. I dont like the idea of carrying a 22 but honestly at a few feet it will deter and maybe on rare occasion stop an attack. The most important thing is recognizing the limits of your equipment and your training. I say get her what she is comfortable with, then get her into a class, an all womens class if possible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
If she insist on a .22 then get a revolver.

S&W and Ruger both have great options in a "J-frame" size gun.

S&W 43C
LCR .22LR

But why not get a .22Mag???  Not much more recoil but performs a lot better.
S&W 351C
LCR .22WMR
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#20]
It's better than nothing.

.22 LR Handgun for Self Defense? CCI Stinger Ammo Test
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine started with a SR22. Only complaint from a design perspective is the thumb safety is backwards having to move it up to fire.  Makes for a bad thing to learn on and then switch to a pistol with a thumb safety like God intended.  Still not sure what Ruger was thinking on that one.  Must have been cheaper to build.

Second pistol was a G42.  Great for smaller hands and no nasty LCP like recoil.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]
22LR is fine for defense.
As others have said, I would suggest a revolver.
22 Semi Auto's are generally far less reliable than larger calibers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Sign her up for a defensive handgun course.

If she won't listen to you, maybe she will listen to a teacher.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#24]
SR22 my friends dad has is a jam-o-matic.

I would suggest a LCR in 22LR or 22MAG.

I picked my wife up a PMR30.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alright, I need some input in this one.  My wife wants to get her CCL and a CC pistol.  We went to Cabelas to have her hold a few, and I've talked to her about the different actions and such.

Before we even asked for help, while I was explaining a few firearms to her, the guy at the counter pulled out a Ruger SR22 and said that's the gun she should get for self defense.  She did like the size, weight, and overall feel of it.

I love shooting my .22's, but I've never entertained carrying one for CC/self defense.

What are the opinions of Arfcom on this?  Personally, I want her to have something with a little more behind it like a .380 or 9mm.  Curious to see what ya'll think.

Thank you!
View Quote

I've recommended quite a few times that someone buy a 22 for their first gun and then put 10 or 20K rounds of ammo through it practicing.  Once you get the practice it you'll know more what you want instead of what other people think you need.   The bonus there is you've had a gun you can afford to shoot that doesn't tend to teach bad habits.   Take the money you saved on ammo and buy what works for you at that point.  A 22 is far from optimal, but if it will get someone to shoot and learn to shoot well, a 22 they shoot well beats a 9mm they're afraid of.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
What she really needs is shooting experience. I would not choose a .22
If anything else will work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We all want our wives to carry something bigger but 22 is a good training caliber and it works for conceal carry also. She has to take baby steps so if she likes the Ruger get it for her.
View Quote
That good advice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A .22LR in the hand beats a .45 ACP in the safe any day of the week. My wife enjoys shooting but carries a Glock 42 in .380. 

If I could find her an affordable polyframe striker fired pistol in .32 ACP I would. But no one makes a FN 1903 in a modern design. 
View Quote
^ I would be all over that as well.

I would recommend the M&P 22 compact for a 22. My kids have this and the walther P22. No comparison. The M&P is far more reliable. Now if I could convince S&W to make a M&P 32c I would buy a few.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd complain to central management that the gun store guy recommended the least recommended caliber without even talking to her.

Because she's new the most important thing is to make sure she doesn't quit.

It's sort of dumb to assume she cant' handle 9mm. That said, do whatever will get her to carry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you are going rimfire do it right.  Buddy of mine carries one of these and is a firearms analyst in a major crime lab he sees a lot of DRT from .22 WMR.  I used to work as a medicolegal investigator and saw plenty myself.  

351 PD .22 WMR

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Scott_CCR_Article_5-13-16-470x300.png
View Quote
If she does not train a lot then I think a semi auto rimfire  is not your best choice for 2 reasons: 1) more likely to have a failure to cycle because of less than firm grip (also it's rimfire) and she would need to practice clearing jams and 2) rimefire primers are still not as reliable as centerfire.
With the 351 PD you get a much better PD ammo choice that is at least a little stronger than 22LR and if there is a dud then she just keeps pulling the trigger. Have her train to keep pulling until threat is gone. 4-5 22WMR rounds will not go unnoticed by an aggressor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  If she does not train a lot then I think a semi auto rimfire  is not your best choice for 2 reasons: 1) more likely to have a failure to cycle because of less than firm grip (also it's rimfire) and she would need to practice clearing jams and 2) rimefire primers are still not as reliable as centerfire.

With the 351 PD you get a much better PD ammo choice that is at least a little stronger than 22LR and if there is a dud then she just keeps pulling the trigger. Have her train to keep pulling until threat is gone. 4-5 22WMR rounds will not go unnoticed by an aggressor.
View Quote
Or if you can get her to a modicum of practice, 31x of .22" WMR could be upsetting, though I would suggest FMJ:

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd complain to central management that the gun store guy recommended the least recommended caliber without even talking to her.

Because she's new the most important thing is to make sure she doesn't quit.

It's sort of dumb to assume she cant' handle 9mm. That said, do whatever will get her to carry.
View Quote
I was a little annoyed with they guy...I was walking her by a few different styles, explaining some differences between different guns and he just jumped in and basically said "this is the gun you want".
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does she want to piss off an attacker? A .22 will do that. Don't get her anything less than .380.
View Quote
Going to post this.  Give her a fighting chance, training helps overcome fear/flinch,etc

LC and other pocket pistols are the way to go
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I was a little annoyed with they guy...I was walking her by a few different styles, explaining some differences between different guns and he just jumped in and basically said "this is the gun you want".
View Quote
smitty...

Good to see you jump in with the above comment. You seemed to be working well with her thru all the differences. Lots of choice in other comments to work with so I'm not going to add anything other than you are a team and together will find a solution to her needs.

Good Luck!
Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

smitty...

Good to see you jump in with the above comment. You seemed to be working well with her thru all the differences. Lots of choice in other comments to work with so I'm not going to add anything other than you are a team and together will find a solution to her needs.

Good Luck!
Mike
View Quote
Thank you, Mike!  I agree...this is all new to her, and I'm just trying to be supportive and get her comfortable.  I was talking with her last night about it, and she made a comment that she didn't want "that big of a gun" when I was talking to her about 9mm.  It puzzled me, and then I realized she's thinking of my G19 & P99...I think she just wants a smaller package, which is why she liked the .22LR.  I'm going to continue to talk with her and have her hold a few other guns at local stores.  The bummer of it is that the only range around here that rented out guns to test just closed, so we can't actually go shoot many different pistols.

I think I just need to find her a small package 9mm, DA/SA with external safety & decocker.  Right now, she feels most comfortable carrying in Condition 2 with the safety on.  Honestly, I think if I could find a Walther PPK/s it would be perfect for her.  I know it's .380, but I think it fits all her wants.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
As some have said already .22 is better then nothing, I suppose my M&P .22 C has been reliable enough I'd be comfortable carrying it(not really but i'd be confident it would function).

I'd have her try out the Glock 42 its small, and it pretty much feels like shooting a .22 no snappiness at all like most other small 380's and some 9's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Out of the BOX to Match Review! KelTec PMR 30
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#38]
If thinking 380, would seriously consider the Glock.  Lighter and significantly less recoil in a locked breech.  Also doesn't have all the sharp edges. Had the PPK for over 20 years, now have the Glock, and it be a big difference.  However would advise someway for her to try differing models.  Concealable major calibers pack more punch at both ends.  If all I had was a 22, much better than nothing and would practice emptying it quickly and accurately. If memory holds, those CCI stingers are rated higher than most 22 lr for the purpose.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Nope.  Absolutely not.  Some clueless clerk made a clueless recommendation.

I love a nice 22lr revolver, semi-auto plinkers, and target pistols.  However, they are not for self defense and the argument of 'better than nothing' is some kind of lame rationale.  Other things that are 'better than nothing': pellet gun, knife, baseball bat, sharp stick, rocks.  None are suitable for self defense.  As for the 'it sure will kill 'em good..', you don't care.  You want the bad guy to bleed out as soon as possible.  You don't care if he dies later from the .22 hole in his liver.

Take your wife out to shoot.  Often.  Bring a 22lr and enjoy it.  Learn about trigger control, sights, reloads, safety.  Then get her started with a real self defense weapon.  Let her choose what fits.  Minimum is 38 special.  There is no reason to go to a .380 unless she has some really unique concealment problem.  A compact 9mm, like most of us carry, would be optimal.  They are not hard to shoot and make a fine SD choice.  You might try starting her with a full size, low recoil 9mm.  Action targets make getting used to it more fun.  9mm FMJ is cheap.. shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#40]
22LR will work fine, but can be iffy on reliability due to how rimfire is primed. Just make sure you get good ammo (CCI HV is my go-to). 

ETA: I get that others here are saying 22 is too weak. They have a point. But if she doesn't carry a bigger gun then it isn't going to do her nay good. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#41]
A 22lr will not be 'fine'.  What do you think the bad guy is going to do when he realizes he's been shot but not badly injured?  Not like he knows he'll succumb later after he's meted out retribution.

Lots of in this thread.

If you are making a conscious choice of what to buy and learn how to use, get a proper weapon.  There are so many compact 9mm's to choose from, one of them will fit your wife's hand.  If she wants something small and cute, then educate her on what's wrong with that approach or get her a shiny Sig 938.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A 22lr will not be 'fine'.  What do you think the bad guy is going to do when he realizes he's been shot but not badly injured?  Not like he knows he'll succumb later after he's meted out retribution.

Lots of in this thread.

If you are making a conscious choice of what to buy and learn how to use, get a proper weapon.  There are so many compact 9mm's to choose from, one of them will fit your wife's hand.  If she wants something small and cute, then educate her on what's wrong with that approach or get her a shiny Sig 938.
View Quote
In theory I agree with you.  In practice I've seen far too many new shooters who wouldn't shoot because someone started them on a good small carry gun in 9mm, 40, or 45 too early.   It's too loud, too much recoil, and drives away a lot of new shooters.  Practice on a 22 will transfer to something bigger, and it's easier to learn good habits IMO on a 22.  Is it optimal?  No.    Is it better than nothing if they're shooting, getting better, and working up to a better choice?  I think so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In theory I agree with you.  In practice I've seen far too many new shooters.. <snip>
View Quote
A shooter that hasn't been exposed to things like safety, sight picture, and how to hold a handgun isn't going to hit with a 22lr or a 9mm and I really don't think they should even carry any gun before they have the basics down.  Once they learn how to safely handle, hold, and aim a handgun, give them something effective even if they have to get over themselves.  If they are terribly recoil sensitive (usually because of bad instruction) get them something that doesn't recoil much but still in .38 Spc or 9mm.  Noise shouldn't be a factor since hearing protection is always worn when practicing.

We're talking about how we plan and get ready ahead of time.  There are lots of rationales and what-if scenarios people think up on forums.  The scenario I care about is the one where my wife has to defend herself.  How's it going to be if she fails to do so because I set her up with a weapon that was completely unsuitable for the job?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife has an ex British military issued 22lr Walther PP.  As with any caliber, shot placement is everything.  She practices shooting targets between the eyes.  She is well practiced and can easily rack the slide on her PP. She can quickly shoot a whole magazine with a shot group just a little bit larger than a quarter from ten yards all day long.  That pistol has almost no recoil and having a fixed barrel makes it very accurate.  

Regards
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife has an ex British military issued 22lr Walther PP.  As with any caliber, shot placement is everything.  She practices shooting targets between the eyes.  She is well practiced and can easily rack the slide on her PP. She can quickly shoot a whole magazine with a shot group just a little bit larger than a quarter from ten yards all day long.  That pistol has almost no recoil and having a fixed barrel makes it very accurate.  

Regards
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Once there's arthuritus in the picture, the whole game changes.  We should all hope to live long enough that our carry gun is a .22" WMR.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Handguns of all but the monster calibers are terrible man stoppers. A .22lr will do her fine.
View Quote

You contradicted yourself there... As for the OP, I would obviously push her towards .380 on up.

Unless she has a disability, even then, like others have mentioned: .22WMR, 5.7x28, etc...

Now for the whole debate of "But the .22lr kills more people than xyz, the plague, communism, etc..."

Sure, due to the overwhelming popularity of the .22, it may be a popular choice for murder, suicide, negligence; thus resulting in many deaths. But it is hardly a sound choice for defense. It's like comparing OC spray, to using silly string or a squirt gun..

Reality is the math does not favor the .22lr for being a very good human incapacitating round.
Sure, you can beat a man to death with a rolled up newspaper, if you had enough stamina to bash him with it over and over and over... But compared to a sturdy steel pipe...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Just posting my 2 cents.

I agree with the training as many suggested.  
From my experience, I always give new shooters my .22lr (ruger mark 2)  and Smith and Wesson .22lr Model 17-8 to start off and get basic gun safety and shooting techniques and training.  I follow it up with g19, p226, sw model 36 snub, or ruger gp100 .357.  I let them choose which one they feel most comfortable with and willing to try.  So far, the favorites after the mark 2 is either the p226 or ruger gp100 with .38 spl.  I guess what i'm trying to suggest is maybe a nice ruger sp101 with .38 spl + P.  the gun is heavy enough where the recoil isn't that bad and she would probably be willing to shoot it several times at the range to practice.  Smaller guns (I had the bodyguard, sig p238, sig p938, ruger lcp) had a big enough recoil where the did not like to shoot it several times.  Another favorite, but i was stupid to sell was the sig P230 or P232 (blow back design like the walther ppk or ppks) . I personally like the bersa thunder, but the trigger wasn't as nice.  What ever gun she is most proficient  and willing to use is the best gun imo
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife enjoys shooting but carries a Glock 42 in .380

As does mine, loaded with 90 gr. Gold Dots. She shot the 42 and 43 side by side and like the 42 by a wide margin. The 43 was snappy and she was alot less accurate with it.

Her 42 has Trijicon HD's and a TLR-6 on it. Usually purse carry () but sometimes uses her Sticky Holster
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Poodle shooter better than no shooter but,

Counter guy made a suggestion of what many women LIKE, not what a woman needs for self defense.

Airweight 38's are easy to carry, not fun to shoot.

Wouldn't trust an auto 22lr if you're going to carry one - need a revolver.

Most violent attacks are by men under some sort of pharmaceutical overdrive. A 22lr might make a 120lb lightweight 18 yr old think twice but put it against a 230lb ex football player on crack, and the 22lr, quite frankly, isn't going to stand a chance. Attacks like that only stop when the perp finally bleeds out, and a 22lr just isn't going to cause rapid enough blood loss.

Go big or go home - Kimber in 38 super.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top