Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say it depends on environment -- where you are, and what the "normal" expected dress for someone your age/life stage/etc. is.  

I wear jeans and an un-tucked golf shirt over a G19 and extra mag and even friends who are Law Enforcement often ask me "Dude, are you carrying right now?."

Just depends on what is expected.  I don't wear the "tacticool" clothes because they are stupid expensive.  I get Jeans and polo's from Costco for cheap, I have a SOE Belt, but its always covered, and i wear Solomons -- but bright orange and blue ones.  Lots of folks -- LOTS -- wear Solomons around here, so that's not suspicious at all in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Normal people will never notice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Obviously people change how they dress as they get older, but I think it's just best to dress as close to how you dressed before you carried.  Most of this dressing up falls into that mall cop "operator" mindset that I find so ridiculous.  I love cargo pants and baseball caps, even without carrying, but it does tend to draw attention and labels pretty easily.  People also pretty quickly can give up any real semblance of concealment.  Some guys go to the concealed carry badges and t-shirts that say "SHEEPDOG" pretty quickly and defeat the entire point of a concealed carry handgun.  Honestly, I'd just dress like a normal person as much as you can.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Carhartt jeans and a untucked button up. Usually I'm concealing a 1911...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
i work in a restaurant as a waiter. i see a lot of people in all shapes and sizes. i enjoy people watching.
nothing screams CCW faster than Pro 2A shirts with flags printed on the sleeve and a "tactical" hat with various patches. if that doesn't scream gun as is. 9 out of 10 times those are the guys printing/ fondling their cover garment.
the person i enjoy looking for is the guy in blue jeans and a t-shirt who's head is on a swivel. no body ever spots him
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Obviously people change how they dress as they get older, but I think it's just best to dress as close to how you dressed before you carried.  ...   Honestly, I'd just dress like a normal person as much as you can.
View Quote
Yep.  I didn't change how I dress at all, except perhaps a small adjustment to the fit (bought the next size up of pants and slightly longer shirts) and changing to a carry belt.

Even my wife didn't know if or where I was carrying.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i work in a restaurant as a waiter. i see a lot of people in all shapes and sizes. i enjoy people watching.
nothing screams CCW faster than Pro 2A shirts with flags printed on the sleeve and a "tactical" hat with various patches. if that doesn't scream gun as is. 9 out of 10 times those are the guys printing/ fondling their cover garment.
the person i enjoy looking for is the guy in blue jeans and a t-shirt who's head is on a swivel. no body ever spots him
View Quote
good post that seems to sum it up
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think more people dress like that than actually carry though.

I know guys who dress like that and come into the range but don't carry, or even want to. They think it's cool.

Fine by me. I'm a jeans and t shirt kinda guy. I normally wear cowboy boots too, or asolo hikers.

I do wear cut off cammies for shorts in the summer but that's about the extent of my cargo pockets.

90% of my training is from concealment as well. I enjoy using my warbelt but it's saved mostly for hunting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Never been a tactical dresser but have 2 pair of tactical pants.

They are my dress pants.

Shorts and fishing shirt the other 364 days.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I never bought anything new for carrying. I always wear jeans, tshirt, sneakers. When we have what we call winter in south carolina it switches to hoodie and jeans. Im bald so i do have some normal hats underarmor ect. As far as kakis, sure sometimes i pick up wrangler kakis from walmart when they are on sale for 10$. Grab a few different colors, i like pockets and the room the strait legs on kakis give is comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I wear a lot 5.11 and Blackhawk since I get it really cheap. Pants, , shorts and shirts (no ccw vests )
I wear keen, lowa, or cowboy boots (no salamon)

Most in my area don't know what that brand is. Every once in awhile I see I tacticaly dressed dude give me the look and nod
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am almost always dressed down in shorts or I dress nicely, a lot of brooks brothers and J crew. My own GF fails to notice me CC'ing.

I do have a cop haircut though, mostly because I hate paying for haircuts and a buzz takes a few minutes
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I would describe my style as "grew up in punk rock, but am now a dad."  I have a sharp haircut, but have left on duty work for stay at home dad business, so am badly in need of a shave.  I used to wear vans with my 5.11's for security work.

Most cops look at me funny because they can't remember if they arrested me or if I work for another agency.  I'm making it work for me.  Glock 19 or Shield 9mm appendix with a belt claw fits under grindcore sleeveless t's and button down oxfords equally well.

In my sporty outdoors oriented town, rugged trail runners or even tactical pants are given nary a passing glance.  

The most often carriers I spot are fat guys with 1911's at 4'o-clock hanging out so far it pitches a tent or goofy redneck teenagers open carrying Spingfield xd's.

Really it seems to depend on where you live if it gets you noticed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I see guys dressed like that in a CCW state and 1) assume they probably have a gun and 2) wonder which IT department they work in.
View Quote
This is funny because it's true
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]
If you wear Gruntstyle T-Shirts and ripped jeans, there is a 100% chance you are not carrying a firearm.

I didn't change my attire to carry concealed. I did change the sizes I wear. Jeans went up one size, shirts are purchased based on fit rather than size. I have XXL T-shirts that fit tighter than an XL button up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a G19 with a ZEV Pro Magwell and two spare G17 mags in this photo.

I also had flip flops on. I fit right in with the NOLA hipster crowd.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#17]
people are oblivious. I could wear spandex body suit with a 45 strapped to each hip and 2 more in shoulder holsters, all OC, and I bet fewer than half would even notice me at all.

Once I realized this I got a lot less concerned about printing.

That said I do try and hide stuff, but I wear 5.11 dress pants to work. don't need all the tactical features, but being cheap, stretchy, and coffee stain resistant helps in my active office.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
goofy redneck teenagers open carrying Spingfield xd's.
View Quote
LOL, not sure why this is a thing...but it definitely is. I've seen those guys myself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, I am gay myself so perhaps it would help me attract people to mate with.
View Quote
Is it really mating if you can't,  you know, mate?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a G19 with a ZEV Pro Magwell and two spare G17 mags in this photo.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4292/35871273891_32080bb382.jpg

I also had flip flops on. I fit right in with the NOLA hipster crowd.
View Quote
How do you carry your spare mags?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How do you carry your spare mags?
View Quote
Mag carriers that I make myself.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
People who also carry a gun will notice. People who don't might laugh at your outfit but usually won't be expecting people wherever they are to have a gun, and wont assume you're carrying.

You'll still look silly though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#23]
When I first ccw'ed I did the tactical clothing thing.  Probably spent $500 on 5.11 shit that first year.  

After carrying for about 2 years I started considering what I now see is called gray man concepts.  Once I got into that, I lost interest in the 5.11 gear and these days I don't wear anything gun related IF I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
^  This don't attract any attention, dress comfortable and by all means CARRY something
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife and I visited IKEA recently. While there in the cafe, a guy walks by with tactical pants, a Glock shirt, and a Glock hat. I turn to my wife and she is already looking at me and rolling her eyes. I just nodded and said, "I know..." In all actuality, he probably wasn't even carrying. I think it was mentioned here earlier but a lot try to fake it until they make it and dressing the part is part of that process.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to wear snowboarding shirts, but after moving to Portland I'm now buying gun shirts just for the disgusted liberal comments I get in public.
Best I ever heard was last week wearing a shirt with a big pistol silhouette on it.
Little boy about 6 points to my shirt and says to his mom "Mommy, I want one of those!"
She scolds him, "No you don't! We don't touch guns, remember? They're dangerous."
As I walked by I commented quietly, "Went shooting for the first time about his age, a little .22 cricket and I loved it. America was a lot happier then."
"We're happier now!" She said back to me.
All could think to say was, "I've noticed."

Guess I need to get some 5.11 pants now and a Glock baseball cap. I've got more people to piss off.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I would say that I'm far from "tactical" and I don't think anyone would ever assume I was carrying a gun.

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#28]
You are are way over thinking this.

As Someone who deals with criminals every single day.  They are morons, dress how you like and don't worry about it.  Body language is the big thing.  I can open carry my G17 and legitimately nobody notices....but I could be concealing a lcp and constantly figiting touching my weapon  and drawing attention to myself...and it's a he's got something.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Gun people will notice the tactical clothing. Everyone else won't unless you are wearing Glock or Smith and Wesson shirts/hats.

I wear outdoor clothing from REI or Carhart most of the time because it's hot.  Outdoor look is pretty common so it blends.  Standard clothes in the winter (jeans etc).

I do wear the Vertyx pants and obligatory safari vest at IDPA matches but not in "public".

Honestly, I have told people I carry and have been for years and they didn't have a clue.  Even family didn't know.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Id say it depends.. to the general public you are another person.. most people are to absorbed in selfies and facebook posts to really notice anything.  Me I am a people watcher and being a conceal carrier my favorite activity is playing "are they packing".  

Most wouldnt guess me, Im wearing Wranglers(stranglers) or Cinch wester jeans, a tooled leather belt with a shiny John Deere belt buckle, and usualy a random T shirt or sometimes a button down shirt.  That being said I wouldnt mind some roomy, stretch pants for range days or days I am hiking and fishing and packing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
When used as a verb, the word mate refers to breeding. You may find yourself running into some difficulty there.

Tactical wear is poser wear.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Only to revealing to people like us and maybe cops.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#33]
In my world, people who wear "tactical" clothes are most likely to be suspected as:  surveyors, building trades construction hands, hikers/campers, hunters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I look at tactical cloths the same way I look at spandex bike apparel. Gay. 
He means school yard gay, GQ gay is more likely to get you action. 5.11s and other tactical tuxedo items will not
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#35]
You will look like a dork and everyone but the sheep know that you are carrying.  Dress like a normal human being.  Wear tactical clothes when you do tactical things.  If you don't do tactical things but have a motivational boner for all things tactical, then get a new line of work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I used to wear snowboarding shirts, but after moving to Portland I'm now buying gun shirts just for the disgusted liberal comments I get in public.
Best I ever heard was last week wearing a shirt with a big pistol silhouette on it.
Little boy about 6 points to my shirt and says to his mom "Mommy, I want one of those!"
She scolds him, "No you don't! We don't touch guns, remember? They're dangerous."
As I walked by I commented quietly, "Went shooting for the first time about his age, a little .22 cricket and I loved it. America was a lot happier then."

Guess I need to get some 5.11 pants now and a Glock baseball cap. I've got more people to piss off.
View Quote
I love doing that around here too, plus my American flag T. I just don't order food that way downtown!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love doing that around here too, plus my American flag T. I just don't order food that way downtown!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I look at tactical cloths the same way I look at spandex bike apparel. Gay. 
View Quote
This.

I do my best to look like a guy that wouldn't cause any issues... until I want to cause issues.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wear cargo pants whether I'm carrying or not.  No place to put my wallet and cell phone and I'm not going to put it in my back pocket because it screws my back up.

And fuck jeans.  

Generic cargo pants + button up shirt + hiking boots isn't all that tacticool.  Around here, it's "dressing well."  To fit in as a "working stiff" around here, I'd have to wear dirty jeans, straw cowboy hat, belt buckle the size of a spartan shield and cowboy boots.  No thanks.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I like being grey although that doesn't mean you have to literally wear grey. I don't look like the gun guy in most ways. I wear regular jeans, pants, or shorts and random cheap t shirts. My daily life isn't combat I don't see a compelling reason to dress like it. Maybe I will one day wish I had American flag parachute pants to give someone a roundhouse in the face. I just try to be reasonably fashionable in mobile but not in a tactical tuxedo
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Note I also don't wear martial arts shirts the people that wouldn't be scared anyway I want to be surprised
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I wear 5.11 cargo pants, black boots, and Hawaiian or t-shirts most days. I don't carry most days because I'm usually in areas where carry is illegal, but I've never gotten any comments on my clothes other than from a USAF recruiter I talked to on campus. I wear "tactical" clothes because they are comfy and I don't care what I look like. If appearances are important I'd wear a suit. 
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I like cargo pants. They have lots of pockets for me to put shit in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the 5.11 Taclite shirts. I wear them untucked so I'm having the bottom rehemmed to be a straight cut. The shirts have no logo on them and will conceal a P30 OWB which is my current set-up.

I don't wear any cargo pants or shorts or boots with them. I go jeans and oxfords or some other casual shoe or sneaker for footwear. Eventually, I would like to get some button down polos to wear untucked that will give me the same level of concealment with regular dress for optimal discretion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I prefer the various outdoor / hiking clothing lines over any "tactical" brand - Kuhl, Columbia, North Face, etc. offer better quality, better materials, better looking, and lighter weight designs. If you're concerned about cost, many of those brands offer pro deals, or you can find them at outlets.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Generally use 2 differing approachs, both with loose fitting clothes, and suspenders under shirt.
HOM=Harmless old man.  Faded jeans, untucked collared checkered shirt.
HOH=Harmless old hippie. Very effective, but tougher to do when balding. Deliberately well worn out clothes.

Some people believe no one notices they are carrying.  Am a non-believer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I shot in brooks brothers slacks and a button down after church Sunday.

The 5.11 crowd looked at me funny. But i smoked the plate racks then met my wife and parents for brunch.

Refined range days are fun.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top